Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.
Fuzzy doesn't think she was sold out. She's smart enough to understand when she got something good. Porks, no ghouls, and stupid-face deers instead of devil rats? That's something good.

And the rat man? Sure, there was something in it for him. Some kind of finder's fee. But he'd have gotten a whole hell of a lot more selling her out to Tamanous or the Mafia or something. Everyone's got to make sure they make a little on the side if they want to get by in the Barrens, but he picked the option that was best for her instead of what was best for him. That sentimentality might get him killed someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Julie wishes she'd dyed before she ever even goblinized. While she was human. When she was still loved. She doesn't have a death wish. She'll keep moving forward. But it would have been... easier that way. Kinder. For everyone.

She does feel bad about the slur. She's a racist - there's no denying that. But unlike her father, she has the basic human decency to feel guilty about it.

Kenji's story is completely true - every word of it. He gets a kick out of telling the truth, but only once nobody can be certain of whether he's lying. It's cathartic, but in a way that doesn't make him feel emotionally vulnerable.

And he still doesn't know if he's actually necessarily going to attend. He's said yes to move this forward, to get a better look at his options. He's ready to cut and run at any time, though, if it doesn't play out like he wants. Until the day he graduates, he's only going to have one foot in the door.

Side note, did most orks/trolls goblinize in the older fluff? Because in the current stuff, goblinization mostly tapered away after the initial wave, and most orks are born as orks to ork parents. Some people still goblinize out of nowhere, but it's uncommon, not ork-puberty. I'm not as familiar with the classic editions, though.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'm going to have to change this a little bit. It seems that orcs and trolls can have orc and troll babies. I swear that wasn't the case in one of the novels I read because there was a human girl with a bunch of ork brothers and she hadn't goblinized.

However it being more rare makes it all the more shocking. I'll think about it.

There are definitely throwbacks in both directions. Humans born to orks, orks born to humans, people born humans to orks and then goblinizing, and other combinations. You can even have troll parents with an unexpected dwarf child. It's not a cut and dry kind of thing, just greater trends.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

She made an enemy.

And she'll share a lot, but her priorities are all screwed up on what is and isn't relevant information. She'll never reveal where she stashes or sleeps, never reveal how or where she does anything. That's valuable information that could be used to hurt or hunt her.

But details about how hard, mean, and dirty her life has been come easily. Freely, even. They've long since faded from traumatic to mere fact.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

Get the coat. If Sasha senses that we really did kill it, she'll know we're not the kind of person to gently caress with. Then see if we can't introduce ourselves to Julie. Mother Bear said she's the most powerful magician in the whole place. That's the kinda person you want to be friends with.

Exactly this. If there's still time, talk to Kenji relative safety, plentiful resources... He seemed friendly earlier, and we can afford to build that rapport. Plus, he's wasn't afraid of the teacher at all - he knows how to show strength like these weak, soft people don't.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

The success is that Julie likes Fuzzy more. The glitch is that she felt pitied. Even if she thinks the weird girl is pretty alright, that kind of pity is a real blow to her fragile self esteem. Being nice to her will get pushback until it stops feeling like pity.

We think Sasha isn't dangerous or trying to backstab Fuzzy. In Barrens terms that's practically a BFF. Sasha, though, is mostly just curious about the audi weirdo. They could end up friends maybe, or they could never talk again. Depends on whether Fuzzy stays interesting/builds a rapport or not.

Let's make sure not to eat too much. Wouldn't want to barf during the gang-joining beatdown. Just enough nourishment to keep her energy up, then save something that'll hold for later after the bonfire.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Let's go towards the docks. Fuzzy isn't really familiar with large bodies of safe water. They must be fascinating to her.

She's going to go meet Kenji, and probably go along with his plans too. He's the survival expert here, that much is clear. Plus, being so nakedly untrustworthy is its own form of trustworthiness. That's the thing with allies; you don't have to like them, just be mutually useful to each other. The same reason why Fuzzy approached Julie.

She needs to learn how to understand this place enough to be confident like Kenji is.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I kinda want to her teeth looked at ASAP. Being a street kid from the Barrens, you just know half her mouth is going to be hosed up. Shadowrun being what it is, they should be able to fit her with whatever fillings and various she needs at the speed of a 3d printer. A better smile and less terrible breath will go a long way towards fitting in with the rich kids.

And then maybe do some activity while the street dentist is printing everything up?

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I think Fuzzy would be genuinely confused about why Julie's crying despite not being injured.

Also, I think Sasha might be 'another type.'

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Definitely go hunting with Sasha. We might teach them a thing or two instead of the other way around, though.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Ice Phisherman posted:

How do we deal with Sasha's attempts to get to know Fuzzy?

I think Fuzzy will keep Kenji's strategy in mind. Don't volunteer information about life in the Barrens, but don't lie either. Be honest, but honest at the pace that other people take it. Fuzzy is starting to learn how to be tactful, after all.

And we should grab Health magic. Healing, ideally. All sorts of other magic is also rad as gently caress, but the ability to heal injuries, cute diseases, and protect yourself from radiation is something that someone from Puyallup would find extremely useful.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

All the more reason to never lie to Sasha. Follow Kenji's advice - make sure she's in our court whatever comes next.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Does the specialization just go in Healing spells, or in Health as a whole? Because that's the spell school if not just healing, but also buffs of most kinds, right?

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Sasha can see our fear and embarrassment blazing on the Astral. There's no way she doesn't pick up on something that obvious, right? Hell, she can probably tell that this was the sore spot that was getting poked earlier.

She gave us the option the turn back earlier. Give her the same opportunity. Ask her if she's okay with that, and really hope she is.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

At this point it would be rude to refuse her hospitality, right? Fuzzy more or less gets that, whereas the nuances of what could be happening on social media are beyond her. Especially when it's her one and only friend suggesting they spend more time together.

Here's hoping Kenji's prep work was enough to help soften things for Julie. With the help of Marco, maybe.

How do you think Fuzzy reacts to the news about specifically Julie, though? Does she understand what happened in a pragmatic, survival-at-any-costs sense? Or the sense of being without family, being alone and isolated? Do you think it makes her respect Julie the Powerful more or less? I think it could go either way.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I think that Fuzzy doesn't really... 'get' the kiss. She doesn't even have the context of a mother or father to inform her what a relationship even is. She's just now starting to come to terms with the idea of someone's hand resting gently on her shoulder being safe.

So, I think it's the sort of thing that needs processing. Whether/if she's attracted to anyone isn't something she's even properly aware of yet. This'll probably be the first big push into that soul-searching, though.

So, automatic forgiveness and a totally clueless lack of understanding of what that kiss actually meant.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

So, since Fuzzy is about to spend a couple weeks without seeing much of Sasha, we should probably figure out which direction her feelings kind of lie in, right? Is she going to spend the weeks thinking just about how much she misses chilling and laughing with her one friend, or dwelling on that kiss? She's got a poor grasp of her own feelings, but we're probably going to have some inkling before she does.

Or is that one of the things that we won't be voting on?

Hell, maybe Sasha already knows what Fuzzy doesn't, able to read Fuzzy's aura better than Fuzzy reads her own feelings. She might be several steps ahead on this one.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

There's no way all of this sitting still hasn't driven her a little stir crazy. She needs some physical activity to exhaust her body as much as her mind. Then sleep.

Running full-tilt around the island with Puppy? He might be able to keep up now, and he needs the endurance training too.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Does it have to be a social bonus? Because with those critical successes, I figure Marco may have been able to slip in some basic knowledge of history, society at large, or preschool-level STEM. Nothing quantitative, like a knowledge skill, just basic background-level stuff.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I like the sound of Julie/Sasha on Saturday and Julie/Marco on Sunday, yeah.

Also, if we develop a bit more healing magic - especially disease and addiction relief - we should have a chat with Kenji about trying to monetize that in the ACHE (and other slums). After all, Fuzzy's a hard-bargaining entrepreneur, right?

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Just gonna put this out there - Nazis are regrettably people too. They don't want to die, and most aren't hardcore enough to seriously risk it. Stab one and he'll probably bolt - and the others will probably scatter too.

Some fights are to the death, but I wouldn't be surprised if they get the gently caress out of dodge the second it looks like they might no longer be in complete control of the situation.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I definitely think we should get a new Contract and/or approval in the goblinoid communities. Both, ideally. Nazis are an enemy I'm willing to have - and one we're guaranteed to pick up sooner or later, rolling with Julie. This will all really help us run in similar circles.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I'm hooked on playing Fuzzy - that's my vote. If we do go with a new character, though, Kenji would be my pick. I think he'd be most interesting in Arc 2, where he's made enough contacts to work with, but not enough to be comfortable.

And whose door? I see two real options. You have Sasha, because she's comfort, safety, and kindness. Or you have Kenji, because he's strength, detachment, and guidance. You know, at least to Fuzzy. Both are the sort of thing you seek out to ground and protect yourself after you've been hurt. I'm thinking Sasha.

Also, hindsight is suffering. I'm going to miss the Loyalty bonus with the knowledge that it would have softened Kenji's heart.

jagadaishio fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 1, 2017

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Yeah, I'm sold on sticking with Fuzzy. I'd love to see the others, but I'm too invested in Fuzzy now.

Also, definitely Improved Invisibility. The Improved part means it works on cameras, right? And unlike D&D invisibility, it only stops working when we stop Sustaining it?

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Looks like Fuzzy's back in the lead by 1 net vote now, if voting is still open.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I'd say she's more than a little overwhelmed - but enthusiastic - about this attention. She probably gets boosted back up by about a 7 in her pride. And I think she doesn't buy a new weapon - not until she finds somewhere outside of school to stash it, where Julian can't stash it.

Also, I think I'm changing my vote to Kenji. I think the most interesting arc for Fuzzy was the starting arc - getting her footing in a strange new world. She has her footing now - we can leave her to simmer, settle in, and probably start dating Sasha in the background.

I'm ready for Kenji. I think his ideal arc is the second part - where he's established his footing with connections and favors, and can start finally putting his plans in motion instead of just prepping. Then Julie can be part 3 - the 'things get worse' climax, leading in to the resolution of part 4.

And if things were tied before, this -1 to Fuzzy and +1 to Kenji mean, I believe, that he's now leading by 2.

Time to see Fuzzy from the outside and get into Kenji's head.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I really think each arc will shine most under certain characters, because of how their own arcs seem to be structured. Kenji doing his setup in Act 1 and coming into the limelight in Act 2 works really well for him. Fuzzy finding her footing and her community in Act 1 and then settling down a little in Act 2 works well too, I think.

We can do Julie in Act 3 (where everything goes bad), and then finish off the resolution in Act 4 again with probably-Fuzzy, since she's the 'step up and survive' character.

I'm super emotionally invested in Fuzzy, but I think the story will have a really good and engaging flow if we pick the right characters for the fitting stages of the overall story.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Sounds like the LeBlanc method is some magical technique fusing together the Masking Metamagic and Personafixes - creating a distinct personality which is distinct and authentic to both mundane and magical attempts to ascertain truth/identity. A sort of living/true deep cover. Maybe Edward created Kenji because he didn't have the right kind of strength to survive in an environment like the ACHE.

Which means that Corinne probably created deep cover shadowrunner Persona? It would explain the cover up if she got in too deep there.

I'm gladi switched to Kenji. Fuzzy's in a good place for now, but we definitely need to dig into this.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Fuzzy takes the Stunbolt book.

Sure, her heroic ork nickname is named after that staff. It's the heroic weapon that she used to save a man's life. It's a spear and a knife. It's hard to overstate how important it is to her.

But Sasha gave her that book.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

Julian is a real rear end in a top hat, does he know that?

Yup, and he seems to be as furious with Fire Starter about that fact as Fuzzy is at Julian.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't think the directives have a hierarchy like that. They're numbered, but not in a way that trumps each other.

That's why I think he lost that dust when he found out about Edward's mother. She'd come to harm, so he failed at a directive, so he took the damage.

I think trying to rules-lawyer his way out of his personal ruleset will just destroy him.

Instead, what we need to do is work some social engineering magic and find a way to make Mario no longer someone Edward's mother cares about. Putting her into assisted living away from him is a good first step there, but it's just a stopgap measure to give us some time to work.

As an aside, is Edward's mother an elf, or was he born to a human?

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Fuzzy would also be a pretty sick Bear shaman. A protective streak, a definite willingness to use violence, and a fondness for Health spells? I could easily see her following in Mother Bear's footsteps.

I think that Dog is probably a better choice, but Bear's both accessible and ties her to the woman shaping up to be her mentor.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Let's definitely go for that Leadership roll. It's better to have one specific person we need to keep an eye on than have everyone on edge all at once. Easier to plan around that kind of a loss.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

With some of this poo poo, I'm surprised that the fatality rate in the Renraku Arcology was so low. I guess most people just weren't allowed to die yet.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

CourValant posted:

Da Da Daaaaa . . .

So, as I am unfamiliar with Shadowrun, how tough are these Ghouls?

Think: fast zombies. The problem is less a question of whether they can be fought off - as long as they're too feral for guns and armor, that's not a real problem for a team of armed-and-armored runners. The problem is that a lot of people would rather kill themselves then and there than become a ghoul themselves.

This is the exact reason why Gentoo is a bad pick here.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Deadmeat5150 posted:

loving Talks let his weapon run dry?! I don't care how hosed up he was, that's a goddamned death sentence and a serious newb move.

Honestly, that's not even the worst he could have done. He's not on one of the clean, straightforward combat drugs, like Jazz. He's on what I'm pretty sure is the second most addictive/dangerous combat drugs in the game, after K-10.

If Jazz is some nice, happy amphetamines, Kamikaze is a bath salts and PCP cocktail. We're honestly and truly lucky he didn't go charge the Ghouls in melee or something.

Also, gotta say, I still think that Gentoo is on the wrong mission, but he kept his poo poo together and made the best of the tools at his disposal. If he survives the climb back out, I think Kenji would definitely be willing to do work with him again.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I like that, actually. Kenji's had directives to live by his entire life. They've ruled him in a way that it's hard to overstate, very literal rules dictating his survival. I can't imagine the stress.

But what happens when not only that stress, but also all the direction his life once had, is gone?

Personally, I think Kenji's most likely goal is to reconcile the good/useful parts of Edward into himself - or vice versa - with eliminating Edward outright being more of a thing he'd settle on if he had to. That, or try to keep Edward around, but with Kenji as the dominant, controlling persona.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Gentoo, for sure. Clever is sure to get some good use out of Whiskey, but I think Gentoo could be a useful wildcard for Kenji to play. I was really impressed with how he consistently made the best of bad situations, no matter how out of his element he was.

And let's get some kind of scene with Julie. Of our protagonists, she's definitely the one we've seen the least of.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I want to say that Kenji would be unable to seriously try to purge Edward, for one very important reason.

Edward's mother cares about Edward.

I mean, if he can't put a bullet in Mario, there's no way that he could erase her son, right?

Somehow reconciling the to personalities - or at least making his position less precarious - might be the only survivable course of action he could even take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Huh, I just checked (because I was incredulous) and trolls/dwarves really are that rare. They each only make up 2% of the population. That's almost as rare as Awakened are, and doubly so in rich/corporate areas.

I see why it's the 'Ork Underground' and not the 'Goblin Underground,' and why everyone forgets dwarves even exist.