Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I hate to be a buzzkill but this happens like daily OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

four year old ain’t pulling the trigger on no double action either grandma rolls cocked and unlocked

It's a good thing we no longer have to worry about the hulked-out toddler who pulled a 12lb trigger

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I look forward to the woman receiving no reprocussions like that guy in Colorado Springs who shot his step daughter to death when she snuck in the house

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Are there revolvers with safeties? I know that a revolver would be the most reliable handgun to have in a self-defense/home-defense situation, for if the weapon jams or misfires you simply squeeze the trigger again, but what of the actual safety on a revolver? I only know hanzo steel you see.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hollywood is chastised for being liberal, among other things, but they have done so much for the second amendment.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Bob NewSCART posted:

No this is why you don’t walk around with loaded weapons

I'm carrying one right now, if only there were some curious toddlers nearby...

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Mr.Tophat posted:

Are there revolvers with safeties? I know that a revolver would be the most reliable handgun to have in a self-defense/home-defense situation, for if the weapon jams or misfires you simply squeeze the trigger again, but what of the actual safety on a revolver? I only know hanzo steel you see.

Germany made a single-action revolver with a safety. Model 1879 Reichrevolver. Built like an absolute brick shithouse and will basically never, ever fail to function and you'd have to be TRYING to kill yourself real hard to make it "accidentally" go off.

If only the grandma had one of these, things could have been different:

But for modern revolvers, I got nothing.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

EorayMel posted:

I researched (quickly googled) it and I was surprised how wrong I had it. I guess they don't.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016

...and the pitch! posted:

Hollywood is chastised for being liberal, among other things, but they have done so much for the second amendment.

Yeah, people talk about gun laws but our gun culture is a large part of the problem. How many movies and TV shows revolve around one man who must defend his family from a horde of undesirables with a gun? Not only does a lot of media glorify vigilante justice but it also has a tendency to grossly oversimplify crime. The world is just good guys who would never do anything wrong vs bad guys who love murder and rape.

I don't think violent media makes people more violent, but it certainly shapes their perception of the world and western media loves playing off of distrust and paranoia of strangers when most crimes take place between people who know each other. I forget where I came across the study, but I remember reading about repetition in the media and the effect it has on the audience's worldview. People who witness a lot of violence on television see the world as being more dangerous than it really is.

RobotDogPolice fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 22, 2017

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Who keeps candy in a purse anyway? Grandmas know it will just collect lint and random perfume smells if kept in a purse.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

EorayMel posted:

Germany made a single-action revolver with a safety. Model 1879 Reichrevolver. Built like an absolute brick shithouse and will basically never, ever fail to function and you'd have to be TRYING to kill yourself real hard to make it "accidentally" go off.

If only the grandma had one of these, things could have been different:

That gun looks excellent...but it's rather surprising to see that this was the first gun mentioned when it comes to revolver safety. A weapon from almost a hundred and fourty years ago. God drat.

Surely a gun company would combine the need for a reliable self-defense/home-defense weapon AND the need for a weapon that only discharge once the user has consciously committed to the action by now, they'd sell gangbusters. I suppose you'd have to point out the need for such a device in the advertising though....little Timmy can blow his head clean off with those other handguns with nary a worry, so use our product instead!

If I was an entrepreneur, I would tackle this market.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

castle doctrine strikes again

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
22 years old, kid is suddenly gone, sounds like this dude dodged a bullet

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
lol I smelled florida on this one

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Mr.Tophat posted:

That gun looks excellent...but it's rather surprising to see that this was the first gun mentioned when it comes to revolver safety. A weapon from almost a hundred and fourty years ago. God drat.

Surely a gun company would combine the need for a reliable self-defense/home-defense weapon AND the need for a weapon that only discharge once the user has consciously committed to the action by now, they'd sell gangbusters. I suppose you'd have to point out the need for such a device in the advertising though....little Timmy can blow his head clean off with those other handguns with nary a worry, so use our product instead!

guns arent like bottles of nitroglycerine, ready to go up at a moments notice. you already have to go through several steps to get them into party mode

e, besides, this stuff exists already on some models. the 1911 dovetail safety for example

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mr.Tophat posted:

There's nothing "unreliable" about modern automatics, and there's just not that much overlap between the highly safety-conscious and the people who want to role play Wyatt Earp

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Blue Raider posted:

guns arent like bottles of nitroglycerine, ready to go up at a moments notice. you already have to go through several steps to get them into party mode

e, besides, this stuff exists already on some models. the 1911 dovetail safety for example

How did this four year old shoot herself then lol

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

"Guns aren't already ready to go man. You have to like, put the clip in"

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

because it was sitting there, ready to go. the grandma was unsafe about it

the poster i was replying to seems to think guns are fiendishly unpredictable contraptions which is not the case

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Mr.Tophat posted:

It also has a really heavy/stubborn hammer and trigger, so it takes plenty of effort to fire the drat thing even when it's ready. But yeah, revolvers with safeties never caught on because of the stages you can cock the hammer to act as its safety. That position is typically un/half-cocked position because if the hammer trips, it won't have enough force to strike a cartridge and fire the bullet. Usually.

Cowboys used to rest the hammer on an empty chamber (Dirty Harry's walking around with 5 shots in his gun in his pocket, not 6!), then when the hammer was fully cocked the cylinder would spin from the empty chamber to a loaded one. Modern revolvers will usually have an extra piece or two to make it so you can have 6 "safely" stored without it going off if you drop it.

And now I'm imagining a "we switched their Folger's coffee with our brand, let's watch their reactions!" commercial, but with guns.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
revolvers are made to cull the stupidest part of the gun toting population who wants to show off at the expense of safety

it is very unfortunate that their family members also suffer from their dumb decisions

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
There are modern revolvers with safeties. Not many but they're out there.

Seriously, though, buy a gun with a safety or, if you're a gun manufacturer, build a safety into your gun.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bob NewSCART posted:

EorayMel posted:

It also has a really heavy/stubborn hammer and trigger, so it takes plenty of effort to fire the drat thing even when it's ready. But yeah, revolvers with safeties never caught on because of the stages you can cock the hammer to act as its safety. That position is typically un/half-cocked position because if the hammer trips, it won't have enough force to strike a cartridge and fire the bullet. Usually.
Right.

'The revolver was perfectly safe because of the heavy trigger pull. Oh she pulled the hammer back and then the gun went kablammo? Oh well the 4-year-old should've known better. That's reckless gun safety!'

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Devils Affricate posted:

22 years old, kid is suddenly gone, sounds like this dude dodged a bullet

Guess it wasn't genetic.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Right.

'The revolver was perfectly safe because of the heavy trigger pull. Oh she pulled the hammer back and then the gun went kablammo? Oh well the 4-year-old should've known better. That's reckless gun safety!'

My grandma carries around century-old German budget revolvers with a safety clocking in at double-digit pounds, doesn't yours? :colbert:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
[quote="“EorayMel”" post="“476632265”"]
My grandma carries around century-old German budget revolvers with a safety clocking in at double-digit pounds, doesn’t yours? :colbert:
[/quote]

me gran uses rapid fire paperwork to defeat her enemies

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sjs00 posted:

Why wasn't that poo poo unloaded and on safety

Because it's hard to defend yourself with an unloaded gun. I mean you could throw it at someone but that's not really much of deterrent.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Blue Raider posted:

Several steps that can be performed by a child fumbling for candy. People have guns that are ready to party. It's irresponsible, certainly, but the mindset of, "I want it ready to defend myself/my home" is understandable. I don't condone it, I'm just trying to see how this kind of thing could be avoided.

Thank you for the gun suggestion, although when I google such a thing it wants to correct me to beavertail? :confuoot:

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

There's nothing "unreliable" about modern automatics, and there's just not that much overlap between the highly safety-conscious and the people who want to role play Wyatt Earp

Indeed, but if your needs are simple, then why introduce mechanics that could cause failure? Revolvers are the most reliable handgun. If I was gunna buy a gun for my home, I'd want the most reliable tool for the job. Keep it simple stupid. I'd imagine that semi-automatics would require more maintenance.

EorayMel posted:

Cowboys used to rest the hammer on an empty chamber (Dirty Harry's walking around with 5 shots in his gun in his pocket, not 6!), then when the hammer was fully cocked the cylinder would spin from the empty chamber to a loaded one. Modern revolvers will usually have an extra piece or two to make it so you can have 6 "safely" stored without it going off if you drop it.

And now I'm imagining a "we switched their Folger's coffee with our brand, let's watch their reactions!" commercial, but with guns.

Neat stuff about the cowboys.

I can appreciate that these are elements of safety. But if a child picks up a revolver, I'd put good money on that they would understand from media how to pull the hammer back and pull the trigger. You can argue the point a little, but if you give a kid a toy pump action shotgun, they'll sure as poo poo pump it and make a sound effect while they do it without being told that's what you do. It's gunna be difficult for a kid to pull the lever back, sure, but not impossible (depending on how strong/weak a child is). Not saying that it's an ineffective safety of sorts, but it's hardly infallible.

I don't have a horse in this race, I just thought there should be a more reliable safety that a child doesn't understand or accidentally release when it comes to revolvers. If I was a parent and I was gunna buy a gun, my priority would be, "I don't want a tool that could be used by my child if they get their hands on it." It's weird that there isn't more of a market for this viewpoint, but again, it would need that market to point out that many children cause fatalities and injuries with firearms in America. I guess you want to be arguing about which ammunition to buy rather than which kind of gun not to buy.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Autos don't really require any maintenance unless you're actively shooting them in which case they just need cleaned and oiled occasionally. Which is 90% of the fun of gun ownership because you can oil up your Glock and your cock and jerk it while watching Charles Bronson movies.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the surest sign you’ve never handled a firearm in your life is arguing that firearms are intuitive to handle

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

the surest sign you’ve never handled a firearm in your life is arguing that firearms are intuitive to handle

Wow, pulling a trigger, such nuance

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

I bet all these redneck idiots with guns all have astrophysics degrees in order to comprehend the subtleties of "load weapon with bullets, shoot weapon"

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
[quote="“Bob NewSCART”" post="“476632680”"]
Wow, pulling a trigger, such nuance
[/quote]

you don’t have to stumble over yourself into a thread to prove me right lmao

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

This is surely something no child could do and accidentally kill themselves doing, like in the OP I made.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

you don’t have to stumble over yourself into a thread to prove me right lmao

for real lol

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
[quote="“Bob NewSCART”" post="“476632722”"]
This is surely something no child could do and accidentally kill themselves doing, like in the OP I made.
[/quote]

good poo poo thank goodness that’s not what i was saying at all lmbo

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

I've fired and hunted with shotguns. Pulling a trigger = big bang. That's pretty simple to understand, and kids have seen Elmar Fudd try and shoot that wascally wabbit before. It involves pulling a trigger.

If a firearm is unloaded, I agree with you. A kid would have to put extra steps into it and have to have to mindset of, "I want to load this gun," not "this is cool, bang bang," with their newfound lethal toy.

scrubs season six posted:

Autos don't really require any maintenance unless you're actively shooting them in which case they just need cleaned and oiled occasionally. Which is 90% of the fun of gun ownership because you can oil up your Glock and your cock and jerk it while watching Charles Bronson movies.

Alrighty, thanks for the information.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Mr.Tophat posted:

I've fired and hunted with shotguns. Pulling a trigger = big bang. That's pretty simple to understand, and kids have seen Elmar Fudd try and shoot that wascally wabbit before. It involves pulling a trigger.

If a firearm is unloaded, I agree with you. A kid would have to put extra steps into it and have to have to mindset of, "I want to load this gun," not "this is cool, bang bang," with their newfound lethal toy.

Alrighty, thanks for the information.

pretty much but i also meant handling a firearm in the sense of doing it safely. for some reason pretty logical things like “don’t point at your foot, at people, keep safety on” come very difficult to us human beings in general

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

pretty much but i also meant handling a firearm in the sense of doing it safely. for some reason pretty logical things like “don’t point at your foot, at people, keep safety on” come very difficult to us human beings in general

Oh! In this instance I agree with you. A firearm is intuitive to use (to simply discharge the weapon), but requires mindfulness and diligence to use responsibly when you are handling the weapon, both for your own safety and those around you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

1gnoirents posted:

I hate to be a buzzkill but this happens like daily OP

"this is fine" -america

• Locked thread