Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

lol if you're against people owning guns

I'm about as leftist as you can get without transforming into a literal hammer and sickle and even I know arming yourself against governmental tyranny is good

unfortunately most gun toting types are republican retards who love authoritarianism, or libertarian capitalists who are literally worthless, and the hills they choose to die on are dumb redneck poo poo rather than actual governmental overreach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Ginette Reno posted:

Guns just seem so excessive for personal defense. Why not just carry some pepper spray or some poo poo

Well not really its kind of hard to imagine something better for "personal defense" specifically. What you probably mean is you dont trust anybody and possibly not even yourself, which is a totally valid criticism of the whole issue, but we should be specific about the subject since its so butthurt touchy. Pepperspray and whatnot are arguably bad choices for personal defense with their sole benefit is that you cant shoot your self in the head and die with them. Again thats not something to take lightly, but its still the truth as they are actually incredibly bad choices to stop your life from ending. They are basically the CPR of personal defense.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

This made me queasy. What the gently caress? Good on WaPo for pointing out how hosed up this entire scenario is. "Cure 4 Carrie" Hey dickheads, there is a solution to try, loving chemo. You have 5 perfectly good kids but gently caress them, right? This is just the most selfish backwards poo poo I've ever read.

You missed the best part which is the name of the dead baby was Life. Poor lady/kid.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Eh, it was just a really lovely situation. Bad things happened to me that weren’t under my control. It’s way too personal for GBS. Or for anyone in general really. I go to the VA weekly and that’s the only people I talk with.

sorry you had to go through whatever it was, but my point was mostly that people are not mindless automatons and the military doesn't operate in lockstep fashion at all. couple that with the knowledge that your "enemy" is your fellow countrymen and the likely scenario of any real insurgency within our borders is going to divide the military.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

1gnoirents posted:

Well not really its kind of hard to imagine something better for "personal defense" specifically. What you probably mean is you dont trust anybody and possibly not even yourself, which is a totally valid criticism of the whole issue, but we should be specific about the subject since its so butthurt touchy. Pepperspray and whatnot are arguably bad choices for personal defense with their sole benefit is that you cant shoot your self in the head and die with them. Again thats not something to take lightly, but its still the truth as they are actually incredibly bad choices to stop your life from ending. They are basically the CPR of personal defense.

Well my main issues with guns for personal d aside from some dumbass kid rifling through my man purse and shooting themselves in the head:

1) Okay let's say I'm packing. Under what circumstances would I actually be able to use the gun? If I'm being mugged or threatened in a way that feels life threatening that means the person doing it probably has a gun or knife. How am I getting my gun out and shooting them before they gently caress me up?

2) If the above does not apply, why am I taking my gun out and escalating a situation that could be resolved without me potentially killing a fool?

Guns for home defense I totally get because in those situations the threat is more obvious (someone breaking is never good) and obviously you'd have time to get your gun in more situations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

rezatahs posted:

sorry you had to go through whatever it was, but my point was mostly that people are not mindless automatons and the military doesn't operate in lockstep fashion at all. couple that with the knowledge that your "enemy" is your fellow countrymen and the likely scenario of any real insurgency within our borders is going to divide the military.

Yeah I didn't mean to imply that. And yes, there would be a HUGE divide.

I was an idiot for bringing this whole thing up. There are no answers for this theoretical scenario.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Ginette Reno posted:

Well my main issues with guns for personal d aside from some dumbass kid rifling through my man purse and shooting themselves in the head:

1) Okay let's say I'm packing. Under what circumstances would I actually be able to use the gun? If I'm being mugged or threatened in a way that feels life threatening that means the person doing it probably has a gun or knife. How am I getting my gun out and shooting them before they gently caress me up?

2) If the above does not apply, why am I taking my gun out and escalating a situation that could be resolved without me potentially killing a fool?

Guns for home defense I totally get because in those situations the threat is more obvious (someone breaking is never good) and obviously you'd have time to get your gun in more situations.

Number 2 is indeed the main issue in my mind. From there you go into a cost benefits analysis of sorts and then you kill yourself in the ensuing shitstorm from 150 million people calling you a murderer and 150 million people calling you a tyrant

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

rezatahs posted:

which they because that covers a lot of groups that have held the might of the us military machine at bay with very basic armaments

Are American patriots willing to fight a generations-long war that will scorch their own homes, kill millions of their friends and allies, and turn the whole country into a warlord dominated anarchy? Because that's the cost the "successful" movements that held American might at bay paid (Vietnam actually had a professional military with jets, tanks and poo poo, they aren't a good example if that's a counterpoint you consider bringing up).

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Ginette Reno posted:

You missed the best part which is the name of the dead baby was Life. Poor lady/kid.

Ask me about being a flesh incubator. Oh wait you can't, I'm dead.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm about as leftist as you can get without transforming into a literal hammer and sickle and even I know arming yourself against governmental tyranny is good

unfortunately most gun toting types are republican retards who love authoritarianism, or libertarian capitalists who are literally worthless, and the hills they choose to die on are dumb redneck poo poo rather than actual governmental overreach

It's OK to own guns, but lol, no armed coup against the government will ever come from a movement of private citizens without the backing of the army.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

steinrokkan posted:

It's OK to own guns, but lol, no armed coup against the government will ever come from a movement of private citizens without the backing of the army.

I'm less concerned with a movement of pure revolution (though I'd love to see one, but that will literally never happen for leftists because the army is profoundly right wing) but definitely for protecting your communities from violent engagement with the police

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

steinrokkan posted:

Are American patriots willing to fight a generations-long war that will scorch their own homes, kill millions of their friends and allies, and turn the whole country into a warlord dominated anarchy? Because that’s the cost the “successful” movements that held American might at bay paid (Vietnam actually had a professional military with jets, tanks and poo poo, they aren’t a good example if that’s a counterpoint you consider bringing up).

yes.

although how you assume it would be generations long i have no clue, but our values are significantly different from many of these groups and the ultimate aim is returning the country to a government by the people and for the people. i believe in the end we all believe in america and at the core of us as a nation is a unity based on that. i don't believe the vast majority of the people within the us gov share those values

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

most revolvers don’t have safeties lol

baby einstein classes but the tapes just repeat "most revolvers don't have safeties" complete with child-friendly graphics of toddlers dying

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm less concerned with a movement of pure revolution (though I'd love to see one, but that will literally never happen for leftists because the army is profoundly right wing) but definitely for protecting your communities from violent engagement with the police

Tell us more about your cop murder fantasies

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
ARM MORE OLD PEOPLE.

THEY NEED GUNS THEY FORGET EXIST, BUT ARE ALSO LOADED, OFF SAFETY AND NOT SECURED TO ONE'S PERSON.

2A! 2A! 2A!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
If grandma had been mugged had her purse confiscated by a mugger responsible gun owner, this tragedy could have been avoided.

The only thing that stops a bad grandma with a gun is a good mugger with a gun.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
Sounds like she'll never be the head of a major corporation

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

new friend from school posted:

Sounds like she'll never be the head of a major corporation

:frogout:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Before lobbyists banned the government from doing research on gun violence back in the 90s they found that gun owners are exponentially more likely to kill themselves or their families and friends than anyone else. So whenever you feel sad about a senseless murder or mass shooting, just remember that for every innocent person who died countless more gun owners and the people who enable them are being riddled with bullets on a daily basis. :feelsgood:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Fanatic posted:

:lol: at the micropenised gun nuts coming out itt

I love having gun worshipping idiot goons poorly hide their love for firearms and weaponry and try to make limp dick excuses about how that gun actually was really tricky to use and the grandma just got it all set up and ready for her already!

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Schweinhund posted:

I live in the US and I'm like 80% sure I'll never be shot by a gun. I don't see why people make such a big deal about them.

Good point.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Before lobbyists banned the government from doing research on gun violence back in the 90s they found that gun owners are exponentially more likely to kill themselves or their families and friends than anyone else. So whenever you feel sad about a senseless murder or mass shooting, just remember that for every innocent person who died countless more gun owners and the people who enable them are being riddled with bullets on a daily basis. :feelsgood:

But but but government tyranny man

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm totally for guns but the government should enforce an IQ for anyone seeking to buy a gun. The lower the IQ you have the bigger, more powerful gun you would be allowed to buy. Anyone with an IQ of 70 or lower would be given full auto assault rifles with no safety for free.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

Guy Mann posted:

lobbyists banned the government from doing research on gun violence back in the 90s

That's simply wrong at best and disingenuous at worst.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

That's simply wrong at best and disingenuous at worst.

Yeah I found that curious. What's the deal with that and is it or is it not true? It sounds ridiculous.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
http://thefederalist.com/2015/12/15/why-congress-cut-the-cdcs-gun-research-budget/

lovely source but legitimately good and accurate article. Pretty concise too, for how complicated and controversial the subject is.

tl;dr: the CDC wasn't doing scientific research, they were very openly spending fed. money to manufacture political propaganda.

new friend from school fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 22, 2017

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

http://thefederalist.com/2015/12/15/why-congress-cut-the-cdcs-gun-research-budget/

lovely source but legitimately good and accurate article. Pretty concise too, for how complicated and controversial the subject is.

Disclaimer, I didn't read it yet. However, I checked some of the sources they used and they are extremely biased at best. The language alone is the first dead giveaway. They said that the CDC openly wanted to ban all guns. That's a little... unbelievable.

well, also come on, it's the federalist. There HAS to be a reliable source on this.

Fox News is one of their sources.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 22, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Guns are stupid, people are stupider

Kill everyone.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrnIVVWtAag

Again, I'm a gun owner. But the NRA is turning into a loving fascist organization.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
how to end all debate about guns between intelligent people:

use established language to separate the kinds of guns accurately, not just the word guns or use the news buzz word 'assault rifles'

look up FBI homicide data for past ten years, average year would show you something like:

-6200 americans murdered by hand guns
-290 americans murdered by rifles
-310 americans murdered by shotguns
-1700 americans murdered by knives
-500 hammered to death
-700 punched or kicked to death

so yes, grandma with a handgun that either doesn't have a safety or didn't have it on likely letting her grand daughter kill herself is very very bad, and already part of the huge bulk problem "gangs, lone criminals and general idiots walking around with loaded hand guns"

but does not and should not impact your already stupid biased view of rifles and shotguns, which are mostly used for target practice and hunting even if home defense is a big psychological factor for buying a shotgun, as you can see it almost never even gets used for that

the solution: put those futuristic finger print locks on all hand guns except for six guns, because then only old timey world war II heroes and gary cooper types can shoot hand guns freely without regulation, this also lowers kdr unless every single person nearby is a retard or there is no second WWII vet with a cool six gun blazin'

edit

also i forgot it'll be like a hundred years until all the currently made lovely taurus and glocks stop being used to kill and rob people, but this is a long term plan like salvation through christ

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Again, I'm a gun owner. But the NRA is turning into a loving fascist organization.

Burn the witch.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Verisimilidude posted:

There is some alt-right group trying to have another torch march, but this time in Charlotte N.C. in December. Well on these neo-Nazi forums the reaction has been "are they nuts!? The blacks will shoot them. I'm staying away from this one." That's why these yellow-bellied 4chan Nazis have only been able to rally in sleepy college towns.

--

I don't think the U.S. military is as right-wing as people (on both the right and left) tend to think. The lower ranks are a big cross-section of people, while the officers tend to be conservative. But they tend to be *institutionally* conservative and all about protecting the military's reputation, and by extension their own reputations, because they know how fleeting that can be.

So in the event of some big mass unrest, I think the military will try really hard to stay out of it for as long as possible. Which also means the right-wing militia types who think the military will join them in some uprising are really dumb. Unless there was some big civil war or something. But if that happens then the whole kit and caboodle will have melted down.

extra stout posted:

the solution: put those futuristic finger print locks on all hand guns except for six guns, because then only old timey world war II heroes and gary cooper types can shoot hand guns freely without regulation, this also lowers kdr unless every single person nearby is a retard or there is no second WWII vet with a cool six gun blazing
^^^

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Seriously how many loving kids have shot themselves this year? Seems like a lot.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

They've been like this since the days of "from my cold dead hands" and I say this as a pro-gun guy as well.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I don't think the U.S. military is as right-wing as people (on both the right and left) tend to think. The lower ranks are a big cross-section of people, while the officers tend to be conservative. But they tend to be *institutionally* conservative and all about protecting the military's reputation, and by extension their own reputations, because they know how fleeting that can be.

So in the event of some big mass unrest, I think the military will try really hard to stay out of it for as long as possible. Which also means the right-wing militia types who think the military will join them in some uprising are really dumb. Unless there was some big civil war or something. But if that happens then the whole kit and caboodle will have melted down.
As a vet, can confirm. My second contract was in signals intelligence and that poo poo is both goony and lefty af. First contract was as a combat engineer, there were definitely more than a few loud dumb right-wing dudes, but I'm pretty certain far from everyone actually agreed with them. Overall, I think the demographics were a pretty solid cross-section of poor America, except with fewer immigrants and way fewer women.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Justin Godscock posted:

They've been like this since the days of "from my cold dead hands" and I say this as a pro-gun guy as well.

Eh, I'd say they took a couple steps to the right. Maybe it's just social media but they're full blown insane now.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Why the gently caress are people arguing here? Is everyone somehow not agreeing that the grandma in this case is loving retarded for keeping a loaded, unsafetied gun in her purse around a four-year old girl who somehow got the impression that Grandma's purse contains candy instead of guns?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sjs00 posted:

Why wasn't that poo poo unloaded and on safety

People are loving morons. A lot of guns don't have a safety but yeah if you have a 4 yr old running around maybe think about that.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

The only way to stop a four year old on a sugar high is a four year old with a gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm kind of surprised that a 4 year old was able to pull the trigger and shoot themselves what kind of gun are we talking about?

• Locked thread