Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

It appears that if a God exists it is a disinterested sperglord who cares nothing for the suffering of it's people. A disinterested sperglord who cares nothing for the creation of its simulation is precisely the person who would program a simulation. Therefore we are living inside of a simulation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

g0lbez posted:

My definition of pronounced is based off the conventional definition of spin (which apparently is incorrect) in which a proton may spin a little bit in some direction and the photon bombarbment makes it like... spin faster. From what I'm reading though particles don't spin in the conventional sense which is part of why I love physics so much because scientists always have to use dumbed down incorrect terms in a vein attempt to convey the ridiculous sounding information they're trying to communicate.

I mean what's the spin of a square aka a circle spinning at infinite velocity? It could go left or right. It's not like it has a bias as a proton. And the electron cloud is a sphere with infinite resolution so you never hit it dead center, ever. No matter what particle or force you hit it with.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
If this cool poo poo is applied, to anything, what can we expect to see? Warp drives or something cool like that, or is it more like nuclear reactors that are .02% more efficient.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Elsa posted:

If this cool poo poo is applied, to anything, what can we expect to see? Warp drives or something cool like that, or is it more like nuclear reactors that are .02% more efficient.

We can phase into other universes and jack all our mirror counterparts' poo poo.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elsa posted:

Probably like polyamorous spaceships that go to other planets to bang hot rear end alien people and poo poo. :shrug:

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007
Theoretically, there exists such a thread that is about science but not poo poo up by ClamdestineBoyster schizophrenic word salad.

Unfortunetely, such an observation has yet to be made. :eng99:

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
The Heisenberg compensator was a component of the transporter system. The compensator worked around the problems caused by the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, allowing the transporter sensors to compensate for their inability to determine both the position and momentum of the target particles to the same degree of accuracy. This ensured the matter stream remained coherent during transport, and no data was lost.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

scientists haven't figured out how to think about spirit yet

how is it that the meaning of a poem or joke can trigger changes in a nervous system?

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Commie NedFlanders posted:

how is it that the meaning of a poem or joke can trigger changes in a nervous system?

it's not really any different than an image processing algorithm picking up the shape of a face.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Stuffguyman posted:

Theoretically, there exists such a thread that is about science but not poo poo up by ClamdestineBoyster schizophrenic word salad.

Unfortunetely, such an observation has yet to be made. :eng99:

Psshhhh whatever that post was a turd salad buddy. :jerkbag:

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

it's not really any different than an image processing algorithm picking up the shape of a face.

i'm p sure visual processing is significantly different from linguistic

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

it's not a bug it's a feature

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

i'm p sure visual processing is significantly different from linguistic

right, but everything can be reduced to an algorithm. All of your loved ones can be reduced.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

All of your loved ones can be reduced.
please dont make death threats

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Dicky B posted:

please dont make death threats

your loved ones will never be allowed to die

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

yeah "spin" doesn't mean "how fast a particle is rotating around an axis" when it comes to subatomic particles. spin is something that exists by virtue of relativity and should be understood on its own terms without analogy to classical mechanics

Although to clarify, while spin is genuinely an innate property of subatomic particles, it really does represent something analogue to classical angular momentum. A good example is the back-bending phenomenon in highly excited nuclear states (such as Dysprosium 156), where an increase in angular momentum breaks the spin pairing interaction between nucleons near the Fermi level, resulting in a characteristic "back-bending" of the plot of rotational frequency against angular momentum. This is only explicable as a consequence of the classical Coriolis force, so while spin definitely can't be envisaged as truly analogous to classical angular momentum, it is certainly closely related.

Also ClamdestineBoyster's poo poo is weak, I get crazier emails on a regular basis. I'll post a few here if there's any demand.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Gavrilo Princip posted:

Also ClamdestineBoyster's poo poo is weak, I get crazier emails on a regular basis. I'll post a few here if there's any demand.

I kind of miss the "iron sun" and "electric universe" "theory" stuff I used to get spammed with. Now all I get are emails from Chinese people looking for a postdoc in robotics or as medical doctors, completely ignoring the fact that I'm a postdoc myself and I study astrophysics at an institute that only does that, not whatever gibberish they type at me.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The gradient operator operates on a scalar field and returns a vectorr field. The divergence operator operates on a vector field and returns a scalar field. The rotation operator operates on two vectors fields and returns another vector field.

Well, there you have it, that's all I know about theoretical physics. Take it or leave it.

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I kind of miss the "iron sun" and "electric universe" "theory" stuff I used to get spammed with. Now all I get are emails from Chinese people looking for a postdoc in robotics or as medical doctors, completely ignoring the fact that I'm a postdoc myself and I study astrophysics at an institute that only does that, not whatever gibberish they type at me.

If I'm feeling brave, I venture into my spam folder and marvel at how many Chinese companies can provide me with top quality laser safety glasses. Truly they are an industrious people.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavrilo Princip posted:

Although to clarify, while spin is genuinely an innate property of subatomic particles, it really does represent something analogue to classical angular momentum. A good example is the back-bending phenomenon in highly excited nuclear states (such as Dysprosium 156), where an increase in angular momentum breaks the spin pairing interaction between nucleons near the Fermi level, resulting in a characteristic "back-bending" of the plot of rotational frequency against angular momentum. This is only explicable as a consequence of the classical Coriolis force, so while spin definitely can't be envisaged as truly analogous to classical angular momentum, it is certainly closely related.

I just think spin is irrelevant if you're looking for a smaller piece than the maximal waveform of light aka a proton. It has no application in real physics. See if light is just a collapsing square azimuth extending to infinity with infinite elasticity, then the rhombus reaches a point where it's vertices can be said to contain exactly the same information if mirrored on an axis of symmetry. A wavelength of heat where a null region exists. So a rhombus pitches one way or another, collapses to a near straight line, and rotates all the way around ad naseum around an evaporating event horizon that is tuning itself to gamma and in turn emits light and radio because it's oscillating through those frequencies as the width of the null axis collapses to a point in DISTANT space, NOT smaller space.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I just think spin is irrelevant if you're looking for a smaller piece than the maximal waveform of light aka a proton. It has no application in real physics. See if light is just a collapsing square azimuth extending to infinity with infinite elasticity, then the rhombus reaches a point where it's vertices can be said to contain exactly the same information if mirrored on an axis of symmetry. A wavelength of heat where a null region exists. So a rhombus pitches one way or another, collapses to a near straight line, and rotates all the way around ad naseum around an evaporating event horizon that is tuning itself to gamma and in turn emits light and radio because it's oscillating through those frequencies as the width of the null axis collapses to a point in DISTANT space, NOT smaller space.

It still amazes me how easily you can tell whether a crackpot knows what the words they are using mean. Like yes, those are all scientific terms, but the way you put them together doesn't mean anything.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

g0lbez posted:

Anyway what do you guys think about the foundation of the universe

It's bad

g0lbez posted:

and the fact that humans have spent billions upon billions to smash tiny things into each other for no good reason other than to see what happens

It's good

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
we did Milikan's oil drop experiment in college and I'm convinced he made all his data up, that thing was hard

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

this is theoretically a good thread

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Hector Beerlioz posted:

that thing was hard

Research is 99% fixing problems in your apparatus/code.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
I want to theoretically shove you all into a locker.

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007

Catpain Slack posted:

I want to theoretically shove you all into a locker.

:goonsay: Uh, I think a simple volume equation shows most of us will not fit - given the corallary m(goons) >> m(mean)

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Stuffguyman posted:

:goonsay: Uh, I think a simple volume equation shows most of us will not fit - given the corallary m(goons) >> m(mean)

You're right, but you used mass instead of specific volume so I deduct 12 points.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

It still amazes me how easily you can tell whether a crackpot knows what the words they are using mean. Like yes, those are all scientific terms, but the way you put them together doesn't mean anything.

At the same time it's pretty impressive CB has been posting in random gbs physics/cosmology threads in that exact manner for at least a couple years. Makes me wonder if it's actually a joke or what.

CB please explain what an evaporating event horizon is thanks

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
The best cosmology book is 'from eternity to here' which is an exploration of time as a phenomena, ultimately concluding that time is a consequence of thermodynamics.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I'm a quark AMA

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
What if the universe was like strings or whatever. I know this is important work because the maths comes out really nice. How about we all suck eachothers dicks over it for twenty years? What, make a prediction or come up with anything falsifiable? Ha, typical popperian who doesn't understand REAL physics

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
EMDrive is real

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

CountryMatters posted:

What if the universe was like strings or whatever. I know this is important work because the maths comes out really nice. How about we all suck eachothers dicks over it for twenty years? What, make a prediction or come up with anything falsifiable? Ha, typical popperian who doesn't understand REAL physics

we got a string theory expert here boys!!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CountryMatters posted:

While we blatantly ignore magnets. :jerkbag:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Erlanmanyer flask, entropy, forceps, continuum, trillobyte, parallel universe, neutrino, lepton, moment of inertia, calculus, Gaussian, plebians, Ra, septic, Dyson sphere, moist cake, dry champagne. Hth. :downs:

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sometimes I have this existential angst that due to our space activities we're going to gently caress up the orbit of the planet somehow but that would require so many pass bys and gravity assists that the sun would have probably blown up long before that would even be a thing.

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

COMRADES posted:

EMDrive is real

It is. We built one in our lab and it produces a measurable thrust. It's definitely a thing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

COMRADES posted:

Sometimes I have this existential angst that due to our space activities we're going to gently caress up the orbit of the planet somehow but that would require so many pass bys and gravity assists that the sun would have probably blown up long before that would even be a thing.
The force of launching the rocket counteracts the pull of the rocket in orbit, so it's totally neutral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Because of the ISS, we have to launch a certain number of things into the air, which is why the U.S. celebrates July 4 with fireworks.

• Locked thread