Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Sworn to protect a world that hates and fears them, they are... the X-Men!

I'm recruiting for a Marvel Heroic game based specifically around being the X-Men, to the point where all that other Marvel stuff (such as the Avengers) isn't really happening. It's just mutants against the world, although that world may still include magic, aliens, and other things. So don't think of this as being Just Like The Movies, because there's a very real chance you could end up fighting Dracula.

Another thing to note is that this is not an established continuity. That means that the characters you play do not need to be the "original team" or even anything like the characters in the comics or movies. Feel free to play around with the backstory of your characters all you like. My preference is for official datafiles only, but if you can make a convincing case for a third party one, I won't say no.

I'll be running this game in a sort of episodic format, with some downtime between "episodes" that will allow the roster to change if necessary. For instance if you've decided to end your character's story arc on a heroic death, you'll sit out the rest of the episode and can rejoin as a new character in time for the next episode. If you're just taking a temporary leave of absence from the game (vacation, other responsibilities, just plain burned out) then you'll have to wait for a new episode to start to come back in.

The plan is to make this a rather long-running game with a rotating cast and lots of different adventures. Characters will develop, change, grow, possibly die, possibly come back from the dead, fall in love, be visited by their time-travelling children... y'know, X-Men stuff.

A few important things to note:

Mutants are semi-sorta public knowledge. The general population knows that mutants are a thing, but not often what they are, leading to a lot of paranoia and bad decision making. It's a very dangerous and unfriendly world out there. People who are pro-mutant-rights (including mutants themselves) are only about 10% of the total population.

The government is weighing up its choices on the "mutant problem" and have yet to decide anything besides funnelling more money into the military and allowing the cops to carry military-grade hardware. So, y'know, business as usual. This is because that while there have been isolated events (like a mutant accidentally blowing up a car, etc.) there hasn't been any direct acts of mutant-based terrorism yet.

Weapon X is a thing that exists, and might still be happening, but is buried under so many layers of secrecy and clandestine conspiracy that if you ask any given Senator (or even the President) what they think about Weapon X, the response is going to be something like "I don't think I've seen that movie."

Charles Xavier has been running the Xavier Institute for the Gifted since before mutants became a known thing. For over a decade, in fact. Most of his earliest students are now grown adults. Xavier himself is wheelchair-bound, and multiple members of the original faculty no longer work at the Institute. The reasons as to why aren't known to anyone outside of Xavier himself, and said former faculty members.

While your character may have done some stuff in the past, maybe even at Xavier's request, there hasn't been an "X-Men" to speak of until now. The team has been going through training for a short time now, but the first mission you get will be the first mission.

Ask any other questions you need answering!

(If you don't have the Marvel Heroic books, which are totally out of print so you can't actually get them anywhere, swing on by the SA Trad Games discord and ask me for help.)

Fuego Fish fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
100% down for this, just need to decide which of the dozens of cool X-people or X-adjacent persons to be.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
It's been too long since I played my favorite superhero RPG system. Calling dibs on Magma! I'll post her datafile when I get a chance (page 38 of the Civil War: X-Men book).

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Hey Fuego is it kosher to take a non-mutant datafile and make them a mutant by throwing the limit into a powerset?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Hey Fuego is it kosher to take a non-mutant datafile and make them a mutant by throwing the limit into a powerset?

Only if their powers make sense. So basically no Iron Man, Captain America, Iron Fist, etc.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Absolutely interested, though I'll have to hop on the Discord and check for help, ah, acquiring the rules. If a system newbie is acceptable, can I be Madison Jeffries/Box?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Ahahahaha I was literally going to rewrite Iron Fist to not be awkwardly Orientalist but fair enough.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Absolutely interested, though I'll have to hop on the Discord and check for help, ah, acquiring the rules. If a system newbie is acceptable, can I be Madison Jeffries/Box?

If you can find a decent datafile for him then you're more than welcome to submit him! I don't think he's in the official stuff so it might be tricky. Some of the third party datafiles can be... iffy.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Ahahahaha I was literally going to rewrite Iron Fist to not be awkwardly Orientalist but fair enough.

I'm not against mystical leanings in characters, I mean Dracula's gonna show up probably, but Iron Fist's whole thing is mysticism-based powers. I guess I'm not a fan of the idea of someone's mutation being "I got them Dragon Ball Z punches".

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah that's absolutely fair. Instead I'll probably apply a Mister Fantastic as a Beast replacement if that's cool.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

If you can find a decent datafile for him then you're more than welcome to submit him! I don't think he's in the official stuff so it might be tricky. Some of the third party datafiles can be... iffy.

So a bit of cursory Google tells me this one is probably the most reasonable, though being unfamiliar with the system I don't know how reasonable it is. This is where my propensity for falling in love with the more obscure characters comes up and bites me in the rear end, innit?

If it turns out that nah, it's actually sorta crap, then I can always withdraw that idea and pick another character. I'll think of someone who might actually be officially supported.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Let me see what's up. There's two people I both like, neither of which with official datafiles. Out of Boom Boom and Quicksilver, which would you rather have?

EDIT: Third option, I found a Toad datafile in the Civil War X-Men Supplement, page XM30. Will probably reimagine them as something less inherently disgusting than most iterations.

DOUBLE EDIT: There was at one point a small initiative to make an MHR-specific discord a while back. You can find it here, although it may be a bit quiet due to the drought of games until just now.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 22, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Unknown Quantity posted:

Let me see what's up. There's two people I both like, neither of which with official datafiles. Out of Boom Boom and Quicksilver, which would you rather have?

I have no opinion, personally, but I would just like to note that both of these characters were on my Backup Idea List, and knowing that neither have official data files makes my life simpler

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
I am interested but currently at work. I'll dig for datafiles this weekend and see what I can come up with.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Definitely interested, will stop by the discord to get the rules. My initial thought is it would be cool to go with either Sunspot or Gambit.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
My nostalgia for Liu's X-23 run has me basically needing to app Laura or Remy, cherie.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

So a bit of cursory Google tells me this one is probably the most reasonable, though being unfamiliar with the system I don't know how reasonable it is. This is where my propensity for falling in love with the more obscure characters comes up and bites me in the rear end, innit?

If it turns out that nah, it's actually sorta crap, then I can always withdraw that idea and pick another character. I'll think of someone who might actually be officially supported.

I'm not a big fan of the high-tech armour suit thing he's got going on there. It's got some significantly powerful stats, and it just seems kind of... I dunno, a little against the spirit of things to have a mutant whose powers include "also Iron Man".

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to say no to this particular datafile.

Unknown Quantity posted:

EDIT: Third option, I found a Toad datafile in the Civil War X-Men Supplement, page XM30. Will probably reimagine them as something less inherently disgusting than most iterations.

DOUBLE EDIT: There was at one point a small initiative to make an MHR-specific discord a while back. You can find it here, although it may be a bit quiet due to the drought of games until just now.

As long as the character's interesting, and you're going to play them in an interesting manner, I genuinely don't mind who you pick. Unless the datafile is broken/overpowered/bad, I mean.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

I'm not a big fan of the high-tech armour suit thing he's got going on there. It's got some significantly powerful stats, and it just seems kind of... I dunno, a little against the spirit of things to have a mutant whose powers include "also Iron Man".

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to say no to this particular datafile.

Fair enough! Alas, no Alpha Flight alum for me.

How about Rockslide? Most groups need a tank and he's the funnest one of all.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Been wanting to try this system.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
So, question: would a character who is just a normal human but is pretending to be a mutant, similar to Spider-Man in House of M, be acceptable? Because the idea of Hawkeye (either one) pretending that 'shoots arrows real good' is their mutant ability to be part of the team suddenly really appeals to me.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

RandallODim posted:

So, question: would a character who is just a normal human but is pretending to be a mutant, similar to Spider-Man in House of M, be acceptable? Because the idea of Hawkeye (either one) pretending that 'shoots arrows real good' is their mutant ability to be part of the team suddenly really appeals to me.

Xavier's dreams of mankind and mutants working together in harmony do not, I think, extend to this. It's a funny idea, but sort of beyond the scope of the game, especially since I'm saying there's not going to be much non-X-men stuff in the setting.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

quote:

Mister Fantastic
Reed Richards (Secret?)

Affiliations
Solo d6, Buddy d8, Team d10

Distinctions
Absent-Minded Professor
Boundless Curiosity
My Students, My Family

Hyperelasticity
Enhanced Reflexes d8
Enhanced Speed d8
Stretching d10
Superhuman Durability d10
SFX: Area Attack. Target multiple opponents. For every additional target, add d6 to your pool and keep +1 effect die.
SFX: Grapple. Add d6 and step up effect die +1 when inflicting a complication on a target.
SFX: Rebound. Step up or double Stretching die against a single target. Remove highest-rolling die and add an additional die to your total.
SFX: Versatile. Replace Stretching die with 2d8 or 3d6 on your next roll.
Limit: Exhausted. Shutdown any Hyperelasticity power and gain 1 PP. Recover power by activating an opportunity or during a Transition Scene.
Limit: Mutant. Earn 1 PP when affected by mutant-specific Milestones and tech.

Specialties
Cosmic Expert d8
Medical Expert d8
Science Master d10
Vehicles Expert d8

Milestones
Pedagogue
1 XP each time you aid a chosen student in using their powers.
3 XP when your chosen student betrays or inflicts stress on you.
10 XP when you sacrifice your powers or reputation for a student, or vice versa.

For The Love of Learning
1 XP when you reveal a new stunt associated with your Medical or Science Specialties.
3 XP when you successfully eliminate a threat by targeting it with your Medical or Science Specialties.
10 XP when you either ignore a critical situation in order to finish a project or abandon a critical project in order to help a student or teammate.

For Reed Richards, life was all about seeing how far you could stretch. Finding your limits and filling up every inch of space you could. Gifted with hyperelastic physiology that seemed just an outward expression of his equally flexible and precise intelligence, Reed consumed information and experiences from a young age. It was never enough to simply be doing one thing at a time. You didn't just be valedictorian, you also became an Eagle Scout and win the Rotary Club Youth Leadership Award and get a pilot's license. You didn't major in biology, you major in biology and chemistry and physics and psychology. Pick up a minor in sociology along the way because heck, you can do that. You can stretch it.

But you can only stretch so far, even if you're Reed Richards. You can maximize how you spend your time but you only have 24 hours in a day. You make choices. And other people make choices too. Reed understands why Susan Storm left him. Reed knows it was his fault. It still sent his life spiraling. He hadn't found how far he could stretch himself but instead how far he expected others to stretch for him. He saw how selfish he was, how unfair it had been to just expect others to keep up. When Charles Xavier asked him to join the faculty at the Institute he jumped at the chance. The chance to focus outward, to be less solipsistic and help others learn instead. To be the teacher and the learner. To stretch himself.

Editors note: Unbeknownst to Reed, but perhaps not to the peerless Professor Xavier, his inexhaustible intellect is also the result of his malleable mutation. Perhaps a result of elastic dendrites or less literal stretchy mental aspects, Richards' brain is a more efficient cognitive engine! - Merry Mr. Maltose

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 26, 2017

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Is there any particular era of X-Men you'd like us to try for? I mean, there's like oldschool yellow spandex Children of the Atom, the X-Treme 90s era stuff, or the more grounded but still inherently goofy stuff of the modern era, just to name a few potential modes.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Fair enough! Alas, no Alpha Flight alum for me.

All I have to say is if life takes away your Box, you bring in Sasquatch.

Also I so hope Alpha Flight battling the X-Men is part of this campaign.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

ibntumart posted:

All I have to say is if life takes away your Box, you bring in Sasquatch.

Also I so hope Alpha Flight battling the X-Men is part of this campaign.

Bargain Basement Canadian Hulk is not my cup of tea, sadly.

(Diamond Lil was tempting, but her marriage to Jeffries is such an important part of her character that I decided against it)

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That is such an undersell of Sasquatch. Hulk never became a god.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Nor did he become a woman who became the focus of a love triangle between half a pair of mutant siblings and a paraplegic who was fused into power armor who later got new legs from one of a different set of mutant siblings only it turned out the new legs were from corpses so he had to keep getting new ones Alpha Flight was so hosed up you guys

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's what happens when the already messed up dynamics of the X-men get exposed to Canada's native Degrassi Rays.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

PurplieNurplie posted:

Is there any particular era of X-Men you'd like us to try for? I mean, there's like oldschool yellow spandex Children of the Atom, the X-Treme 90s era stuff, or the more grounded but still inherently goofy stuff of the modern era, just to name a few potential modes.

The setting itself is going to be that sort of quasi-generic comic book era that's somewhere around late 20th to early 21st with no real defining features to date the storyline too much. But there's going to be some anachronisms and out of place stuff, like a functioning space program that still uses shuttles.

As for tone, y'all are gonna do some weird stuff, and there might be some serious stuff going down too. But it's not going to be a "crack junkies stabbed out my eyes while I was a psychic sex slave" level of grim, nor will it be a "Magneto's getting away in his Magno-Car with the world's largest typewriter" level of doofy. A comfortable and happy medium between the two.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I love the X-Men so I'm in like Mr. Sin.

Ister.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
I've never actually made an MHR character, but I just adapted this one more or less straight from the X-Men books. If there's any glaring weaknesses or mistakes, just let me know.

"The fun fact about bigotry is that it's something that's taught. I come from this teeny little town in Illinois, and I manifested my powers pretty early. And you know the funny thing? People didn't care. Don't get me wrong, they didn't think I was normal or anything, but they weren't afraid of me. It was just "oh, the Borkowskis have a lizard boy" and everyone went on with their lives. Hell, I was downright popular in middle school, because nothing's cooler to a bunch of ten year olds than being able to catch flies with your tongue."

"It wasn't until the government started talking about'the mutant problem' and 'pro-human organisations' start showing up in the media that people started getting weird about me. Suddenly I wasn't just the Borkowski kid, I was a mutant, and part of this vague threat to the status quo that's got everyone afraid. And that's when the bullying and threats and crap started up. Luckily, Xavier's came in with a full scholarship, and I got out of there, but it wasn't all great. My parents don't want me to worry, but I sure as hell don't buy that our house burnt down after I left because of an electrical problem."

"It's been nice being around other mutants, but it's...I don't know, there's a few other students like me, who can't pass without image inducers, but most of them, they can just go out in public as they are. With all that anti-mutant sentiment going around, I've got to be more and more careful just leaving the campus. As much as Professor X talks about teaching humanity about open and peaceful coexistence, the fact is that if he wants to go out on a date as himself, no one's gonna huck a broken beer bottle at an old man in a wheelchair minding his business. That's not a luxury I have."

"Yeah, I know this sounds a little bitter, and I try not to begrudge anyone just because they look human. We're all in this together, right? It just gets frustrating sometimes. Mostly I vent online; there's a couple useful mutant support groups on the darkweb, as long as you avoid the 'pro-human' guys catfishing for your personal information. From what I'm hearing, things are getting pretty bad out there, and honestly, that's what's motivated me to try and join the X-Men. Maybe me and Professor X don't see eye to eye on everything, but he's right that we need to create some sort of hope out there."

quote:

Anole
Victor Borkowski(Secret)

Affiliations
Solo d6, Buddy d10, Team d8

Distinctions
Drama Club Alumnus
One Big Arm
Put Me On The Team!

Reptilian
Enhanced Reflexes d8
Enhanced Speed d8
Enhanced Stamina d8
Enhanced Strength d8
Invisibility d6
Wallcrawling d8
SFX: Claws. Step back the highest die in an attack action pool to add a d6 and step up physical stress inflicted.
SFX: Self-Healing. Spend a doom die to recover Anole’s physical stress or step back Anole’s physical trauma
Limit: Exhausted. Shutdown any Reptilian power to earn 1pp. Activate an opportunity to recover that power.
Limit: Mutant. When affected by mutant-specific complication or tech, gain a pp.

Specialties
Acrobatic Expert d8
Combat Expert d8
Covert Expert d8

Milestones
“Welcome to the X-Men, hope you survive the experience.”
1xp For asking if you are now a member of the X-men.
3xp For taking stress in an Action Scene alongside an X-man.
10xp For either being inducted as a full fledged member of an X-team or walking away from X-folk forever.

Can't Pass for 'Normal'
1xp When you show yourself in public without concealing your true appearance
3xp When you get involved in a conflict due to ignorance or bigotry.
10xp When you begin to pursue ways to permanently conceal your mutations OR find a way to show humanity you are no longer interested in their judgements.

Green Bean fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 27, 2017

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Anole? Callin' Rockslide then.

Someone be Gambit for obvious reasons.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sorry man

You be Gambit so that on a scale of one to a million this can rate awesome

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Man, this sounds awesome.

Looking at the X men book, Fever Pitch sounds rad as anything. I know nothing about this guy though, but that's probably for the best. Fiery skeleton man is really cool though. :skeltal:

Hugh McCoy (public) - Fever Pitch

"Ah dinnae ken wit yer problem is, d' ye see me cryin' aboot it? Naw, nae eyes."

Prior to his mutation, Hugh McCoy was a Scottish footballer (soccer player), playing in defence for Partick Thistle's youth team, originally being picked up in one of their community anti-gang initiatives before joining the team proper.

His mutation manifested in a rather public display, causing the deaths of three of his teammates and one opponent during an important match as flames erupted from his body, burning through his flesh and leaving him as a skeleton held together by living flame.

Riddled with guilt, and terrified of his new powers, he fled. Xavier's Academy provides a refugee away from world that seems all too dangerous. And flammable.

Hugh is a different person now from the young man who left Scotland. Angrier. Angry at his stupid mutation. At the people who want to hurt him for something out of his control. And angry at himself for the harm he has caused.

Affiliation
Solo D8
Buddy D6
Team D10

Distinction
Body of flame
Nothing but bones
Unpredictable

Power Set
Organic Flame Composition
Fire blast D8
Flight D6

SFX: Area attack
Against multiple targets, for each additional target add D6 and keep an additional effect die.

SFX: Immunity
Spend a PP to ignore stress, trauma, or complications from fire and heat based attacks.

Limit: Mutant
When affected by mutant-specific complications or tech, earn 1 pp. 

Limit: Uncontrollable
Change any organic flame composition power into a complication and gain 1 PP. Activate an opportunity or remove the complication to recover the power."

Combat Expert
Menace Expert

Milestones
Learning Control
1xp when you discuss the problems with your powers
3xp when you use your powers to create a stunt
10xp when you either seek out a hero or villain with fire based powers to help you gain mastery over your powers, or refuse any further aid or instruction in controlling your powers.

Soft Flame
1xp when you make a skeleton pun act loud or obnoxious to cover up your soft heart
3xp When you give support to an ally
10xp when you trust someone enough to let them past your fiery exterior, or decide your soft heart is weak and vow to burn through your weakness.

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 25, 2017

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009

T'Challa, Prince of Wakanda, The Black Panther

If you told Lucas Charles that there was a secret African nation full of mystical and technological wonders ruled by a guy called The Black Panther, he'd tell you that you were crazy.
At least, he would've, right up until a few months ago, when that crazy cat spirit showed up in his dreams and told him all about his destiny.
It was huge, it was black, and, frankly, his mind couldn't really process any of what it was saying.
Its booming, reverberating voice. Its ridiculously big, sharp claws. But it was the eyes that really bothered him. They were...just like his.
When he woke that morning, he could still see it when he looked in the mirror.
Something was in him now, he could feel. Something off.
Take that day at school. He got between a bully and another kid. Not usually his MO, but he felt something in him rise up that he never had before.
He moved faster. He jumped off of freaking walls. He was doing some crazy kung-fu poo poo.
He got suspended.
When the flyer showed up for that school for the Gifted, he probably would've blown it off.
But thinking about everything that's happened, he couldn't deny that he was different now.
He had to know why.

quote:

Identity
T'Challa/Lucas 'Luke' Charles (Secret)

Affiliations
Solo D10
Buddy D6
Team D8

Distinctions
Prince of Wakanda
Gifted Strategist
Street Smart

Chosen of the Panther God
Enhanced Reflexes D8
Enhanced Senses D8
Enhanced Strength D8
Enhanced Stamina D8
SFX -- Focus: If my Pool includes a Chosen of the Panther God power, I may replace two dice of equal size with one stepped-up die
SFX -- Panther Champion: Before I take an action including a Chosen of the Panther God power, I may move my mental and emotional stress die to the doom pool and step up the power for this action.
Limit -- Fit to Rule: May not spend PP when making reaction rolls during ritual or mystic combat or when facing challenges to my title.

Specialties:
Acrobatics Expert D8
Combat Expert D8
Covert Expert D8
Mystic Expert D8
Science Expert D8
Tech Expert D8
Vehicles Expert D8

Milestones
Learning About Mutants:
1 XP -- asking a mutant ally about mutant history or culture
3 XP -- get into a conflict with a mutant or an enemy of mutant-kind
10 XP -- join an X-Men team as an honorary member, or create one for myself and one other to lead

Knowledge Becoming Experience:
1 XP -- using Science Expert to create an Asset for an Action Scene
3 XP -- using Combat Expert to do physical stress to an opponent
10 XP -- return to Wakanda to embrace my desitny, or reject it and choose to live a 'normal' life

PurplieNurplie fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 24, 2017

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Alright, I'm going to keep it simple, mostly poking around in the Distinctions and Milestones a bit:

Psylocke
AKA Elizabeth "Liz" Song

Please, call me Liz. I'll cut to the chase, if you don't mind. I wasn't actually suffering from any sort of competition anxiety that kept me from competing in the Junior Commonwealth Games, that's just polite athletics talk for "You're a mutant and we don't want to taint our competitive records by having mutants participate. We won't make you quit, of course, we'll just promise to turn this into a scandal". All that because I was, or so I thought, naturally good at doing gymnastics. Turns out both my parents were big-M Mutant carriers, so now one of their kids had to move, just like they did, to another part of the world. At least it wasn't like running from a war.

Found myself moved to a new academy, Xavier's Academy for the Gifted. I mean, it wasn't that different from all the schools I'd been to before, only the training regiment was less about perfect routines and more about not lighting your fellow students on fire or whatever else your powers did. I turned out to be somewhat of a telepath, you know, reading other people's thoughts. Not as directly, of course, but it made guessing where people were going and doing a lot easier. Learned how to fight, but most of it was trading in streamers for an actual weapon. Hated those bloody streamers anyways.

I'm just hoping that all this works out better than the last time I trained hard for something. I just wanted to be a role model.. Well, maybe more of an inspiring story. Daughter of two immigrants, works really hard to make something of herself. Sure, it would have been easier as an athlete, but I still think I can do some good without that.

quote:

Identity: Elizabeth “Liz” Song

Affiliations:
Solo d10
Buddy d6
Team d8

Distinctions:
Natural Gymnast
Sharp-Tongued
Second-Generation Brit

Power Set: Psychic Warrior
Enhanced Reflexes d8 Enhanced Senses d8 Flight d6 Psychic Resistance d10
Telekinetic Blast d8 Telekinetic Mastery d8 Telepathy d6

SFX: Focused Totality. If your pool includes a Psychic Warrior power, you may replace two dice of equal size with one stepped-up die.
SFX: My Teke Shatters Mountains. Step up or double a Psychic Warrior power for your next action. If the action fails, add a die to the doom pool equal to the stepped-up power.
SFX: Telekinetic Katana. When making a physical attack action using Telekinetic Blast, step back the highest die in the pool to add a d6 and step up your effect die.
Limit: Conscious Activation. While stressed out, asleep, or unconscious, shutdown Psychic Warrior. Recover Psychic Warrior when you recover that stress or wake up. If you take mental trauma, shutdown Psychic Warrior until you recover that trauma.
Limit: Mutant. When affected by mutant-specific complications or tech, earn 1 pp.

Specialities:
Acrobatics Master d10 Combat Expert d8 Vehicles Expert d8

Milestones:
Be The Inspiration
1 XP when you go out of your way to help someone with their troubles without prompting or prodding.
3 XP when you put your foot down and remind people who you are and why you're doing what you're doing.
10 XP when you help a fellow super hero make the world a better place through an act of kindness or convince a villain to turn over a new leaf as a hero.

So Much Potential
1 XP when you discuss your mutant powers.
3 XP when you hide how many superhuman abilities you possess.
10 XP when you either decide to seek out a way of unlocking your incredible potential, or decide to hide your extensive mutant abilities and your potential behind your snarky attitude.

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 26, 2017

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

MAGMA
AKA Adelina Cruz (Secret)

Adelina was born in and raised in San Francisco, living a normal life until the day a minor tremor hit. At least, minor for the rest of the city. Her mutant abilities manifested dramatically as she suddenly found herself atop a small volcano in her backyard, her flesh turning into living magma.

Thankfully Professor Xavier found her soon thereafter. He helped fix the situation and give her parents an easy solution: enroll her on his Acafemy for Gifted Students. (He may have tweaked their memories of what happened in the process....) Amara has continued her education at the Xavier Academy ever since, balancing tradtional learning with how to understand and harness her power over the earth.

But that only goes so far. At the time Adelina's power manifested, she had just started to rebel against the obedient, serious child she had been all her life. The day before she filled the backyard with lava, she had a screaming match with her parents about having skipped class that morning. She'd been grounded earlier that week for coming in after curfew on the weekend. Adelina wasn't even sure why she was doing this because her parents weren't really that strict. But every day was pre-first period college prep class, and the private school loaded her down with homework, and she had piano and track and "volunteer" work her parents mandated after school... sometimes she felt like she was drowning.

And then she tries to escape all that pressure and almost kills her family. Worse, she knows now she had the potential to rival the 1906 quake if the Professor hadn't got to her in time. She doesn't know if she believes in God or fate, but is it a coincidence this happened when it did?

In any case, she never, ever wants to let her power get away from her again. Even if she has to bury herself in classes or live someone else's vision for her future. If she's careful, nothing bad will happen again.

quote:

Affiliations
Solo D6
Buddy D10
Team D8

Distinctions
Can't Ever Lose Control
I Refuse to Let Xavier Down
Walking Volcano

Power Sets
MUTANT GEOTHERM
Burrowing D8
Earth Mastery D10
Enhanced Durability D8
Enhanced Stamina D8
Fire Control D8
Magma Blast D10

SFX: Area Attack. Against multiple targets, for each additional target add a d6 and keep an additional effect die.
SFX: Blazing Body. On a successful reaction against a close-combat attack action, inflict physical stress with your effect die. Spend 1 pp to step it up.
SFX: Immunity. Spend 1 pp to ignore stress, trauma, or complications from earth- or heat-based attacks.
SFX: Lava Eruption. Step up or double Magma Blast for one action. If that action fails, add a die to the doom pool equal to the normal rating of that power die.
SFX: Multipower. Add more than one Mutant Geotherm power die to your pool. Step back each Mutant Geotherm power die in your pool once for each die beyond the first.
Limit: Earth’s Embrace . Step up emotional stress suffered or step back effect dice used to recover stress or trauma while not in contact with the earth to gain 1 pp.
Limit: Mutant. When affected by mutant-specific complication or tech, earn 1 pp.

Specialties
Combat Expert D8
Psych Expert D8
Science Expert D8

Milestones
THE NEXT STAGE OF EVOLUTION
1 XP whenever your appearance or powers alienates you from other people
3 XP whenever you pick a side between both a human and a mutant you care about
10 XP when you are stripped of your powers and appear more human, or, granted new powers and appear less human and further mutated

TECTONIC SHIFT
1 XP when you use Earth Mastery in a die pool and succeed.
3 XP when you use your Lava Eruption SFX and fail, adding to the doom pool.
10 XP when you either cause or stop a natural disaster that threatens many innocent people.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 26, 2017

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog (♪)

"What you've got is what you've got. As long as you're doing good with it, it's all good, right?"

Donna had just started high school when it happened: her first crush. Looking onward with puppy-love, her tongue drooped out of her mouth. She thought nothing of it, until people started yelling about some kind of "freak" over it. Reaching over to put it back in with a blush, something felt very off, considering that was only about a tenth of the total length of the offending muscle. As the days went on, things only got more awkward. Thinner but longer digits and toes, a slight webbing between them, an oily secretion on the hair and in sweat, being able to comprehend what the frogs outside were croaking about, telling said frogs to be quiet and them acquiescing, and some crazy hops. Each new feature just made a bigger rift between her and the rest of the Fraccione family, considering out of a family of six she was the odd one out. This was the start of a very deep-seated complex about under-performing and disappointing others.

Thankfully, the Xavier Institute for the Gifted had just given her an invitation. Her parents, unsure of what the institute was but sounding impressed with the title, thought it to be some kind of academic opportunity, like being invited to a college prep school, and encouraged their weird amphibious daughter to go for it, just so long as they bring back a diploma. Donna had no idea if she'd be able to deliver on that last one given the many definitions of what "Gifted" could mean, but all the same, it was an opportunity to start fresh and make a good impression, something she feels she completely goofed up for regular school, even though most folks have mostly gotten over the Frog Girl Incident by now and moved on to the tuba player whose pet cat was found hiding in said instrument.

With the new code-name of Frog and the idea that her abilities could be put to a good use, Donna felt a new lease on life. With someone able to detect and assuage her anxieties in her life, Frog felt good about the idea of seeing exactly what she could do, instead of treating every new mutation as if it were an extra finger growing out of her stomach. Fairly soon she was hopping more than running, and taking full advantage of what was effectively a fifth limb, albeit one far stickier than normal appendages. Still, what was coming up would be her first real mission, and although still very nervous about the possibility of making the same kind of faux pas that more or less killed high school life, the chance to instead do the opposite and make a great first impression on both her fellow classmates and the community at large were incentive enough to keep a smile on her face and a spring in her step.

quote:

Identity
Donna Fraccione (Public)

Affiliations
Solo D6
Buddy D8
Team D10

Distinctions
(It's Not Easy) Being Green
Frog in the throat
Hop to it!

Frog Mutation
Amphibian Control D10
Enhanced Reflexes D8
Enhanced Strength D8
Leaping D10
Stretching D6
SFX: Tongue. When inflicting a restraint complication on a target using Stretching, add a D6 and up the effect die.
SFX: Multipower Add more than one Frog Mutation power die to a pool. Step back each Frog Mutation power in that pool by one step for each die beyond the first.
Limit: Mutant. Earn 1 PP when affected by mutant-specific Milestones and Tech.
Limit: Vulnerability. Earn 1 PP if you step up emotional stress inflicted by low self-esteem.

Specialties
Acrobatics Master D10
Combat Expert D8
Psych Expert D8

Milestones
"I'm no rookie!"
1 XP when you try to establish that no, this is not your fault and you do matter on this team.
3 XP when you use your Powers to create an asset for an ally or aid an ally in an Action Scene in order to prove your worth.
10 XP when the term "Rookie" no longer means anything to you, or you become the colossal screw-up you always thought everyone thought you were.

A real ray of sunshine
1 XP when you reassure someone that everything's fine or will be fine.
3 XP when you successfully turn a bad situation around in spite of naysayers.
10 XP when you make someone a believer in optimism, or become a cynic just like all the rest.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 25, 2017

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

After some discussion with Fuego going with an actual mutant instead.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 23, 2017

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

ibntumart posted:

Amara Juliana Olivians Aquilla was born in Nova Roma, a colony of Rome founded in the Amazon in 44 B.C. and ruled by Selene, an immortal mutant and witch. When Selene had her thrown into a lava pit as a human sacrifice, Amara's mutant powers manifested in dramatic fashion. She fled Nova Roma and thankfully Professor Xavier found her soon thereafter. Amara has continued her education at the Xavier Institute ever since, balancing tradtional learning with how to understand and harness her power over the earth.

Though truth be told, she has grown tired of Danger Room exercises. And she is very curious about this strange world, so different from the Roman colony she grew up in. One day soon, whether Professor Xavier allows it or not, Amara has decided she needs to do a bit of exploring outside the institute.

So I thought that I oughta use this as sort of an example to address something, because I may not have been 100% clear in the OP. Which is to say that firstly I don't consider the backgrounds of the characters to be part of the actual datafile, and secondly a lot of these backgrounds are just way too wrapped up in the comic books continuity.

I'm not saying that you can't use the standard origin for some characters. If your Nightcrawler is a former circus performer, that's fine. Cyclops suffered a head injury that leaves him unable to control his powers? Sure. Cajun thief Gambit with playing card gimmick? All good.

But stuff like this, with hidden Roman colonies in the Amazon, ruled over by immortal witch-queens... this is the sort of stuff I would like to have you discover, explore, and develop through play, not just have it show up in the backstory. Like, fighting Dracula is going to seem less fantastical if he was your landlord.

These are new X-Men, the first X-Men, and the convoluted, weird, and fantastical stuff is going to happen to them first. It's not in the past, except when time travel is involved.

So this isn't saying "don't be Magma" or "don't be Cable" but rather "give yourself a more low-key origin".

Later on, once the game's gotten through some weird poo poo, then you can app a character who's got a real messed up backstory. But it will have to fit the continuity that we have created together, not the one you find in the comic books.

(I may or may not have some serious distaste for certain X-storylines.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Would it fly if I changed it so she was Alison Crestmere, a normal teen who discovered her powers by accidentally creating a micro-volcano in her parents' backyard (and may or may not have some weird Amazonian Roman colony relationship she doesn't know about, depending how the campaign goes)? I don't have any particular attachment to her Nova Roma background.

• Locked thread