Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Got JubiLee's file up; before I get too dug into writing her backstory, what kind of introduction are new additions gonna be having, and is it plausible for her to have just recently learned of the X-Men and sought them out because they're probably the only people who'll give a poo poo about finding the person who actually bombed her house and killed her parents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

RandallODim posted:

Got JubiLee's file up; before I get too dug into writing her backstory, what kind of introduction are new additions gonna be having, and is it plausible for her to have just recently learned of the X-Men and sought them out because they're probably the only people who'll give a poo poo about finding the person who actually bombed her house and killed her parents?

Very good questions! As far as introductions go, I was going to go with the new members of the team being Institute students who have made the cut to be X-Men. There isn't going to be much of a timeskip between the end of episode 3 and the start of episode 4, so there'll be little chance for knowledge of the X-Men to spread outside the Institute. This has only their second official mission, after all.

(I can't be too exact about the circumstances of the introduction without spoiling things for the current players.)

The other students at the Institute know vaguely what the X-Men are but aren't fully clued in on the finer details. They're the top students who get extra training and all hang out together and there's a super-cool jet involved somehow. Therefore it's pretty obvious to a bunch of excitable teenagers that they're clearly superheroes of some sort. But the kind of superheroes who still show up for class and do the same stuff that the regular students do.

However, it's definitely conceivable that one of the older students hasn't really been paying attention to the gossip for the past couple of months and only really found out that the honour roll class is, in fact, a superhero team with a jet. Which might help with the whole "finding closure" thing.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Ima edit Gambit to reflect this new knowledge then. He heard about the institute and decided to give it a go rather than keep wasting his life on the streets.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Should we be specifying age, in that case? I guess it makes a big difference if they're 13 vs 17.

I'd say Mimic can be anywhere from 14-17... he's a high school age student, probably still in the height of puberty.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
A specific age is fine but not really necessary, you can ballpark it. Some kids there are very young (like Rita), others much older. How long you are considered a "student" depends mostly on what your mutation is, really. You can progress out of regular lessons like Math and Ethics but if you're setting fire to everything you touch, you'll be getting a lot of lessons in self-control and such.

While he was at the Institute, Hijack's natural aptitude for his mutation meant he went from student to staff while he was still a teenager. Conversely, Mastermind was still a student at age 18. So was Iceberg but that was more because he's sort of a dumbass.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Fuego Fish posted:

However, it's definitely conceivable that one of the older students hasn't really been paying attention to the gossip for the past couple of months and only really found out that the honour roll class is, in fact, a superhero team with a jet. Which might help with the whole "finding closure" thing.

Okay, this is what I'm going with; Jubes was one of the first relatively public 'mutant' criminal trials when she got the rap for her home exploding and her parents dying. She only did a year or so in juvie before Charlie worked his magic and got her remanded to the institute. She's been there for a couple years now as a heavy loner, basically only ever interacting with people when she's required to be in classes; the school is really just a protective custody for her compared to some other students. Put her around 17-19, in partly just so she's old enough to buy cloves to always be smoking and partly because Jubilee, the oldest X-person, really makes me laugh.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Sounds good! Although I think Colossus and Jean are about that age too.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'll go with Mimic being like 17-18. He came to the mansion around 16 because after 18 if you get caught stealing cars you go to actual jail, not juvie where you can just leap over the fence during recess.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Gonna say Wolfsbain isn't super public on her actual age, but is likely in the 17-18 range. She is of course a lot older in dog years.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Bio added and changed up a Milestone and Distinction to reflect a greater focus on her public background.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
Clarice is probably 16-17? Thats about what I was envisioning, anyway.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
With the end of the episode, we'll have a momentary break for about a day-or-so, so I can pick the replacements and the other players can think about how to spend their XP. The game will resume after I've made my choices, so if you've got stuff to post/questions to ask, do it now!

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Kiania Rosario, aka Storm

"Olá! The name's Kiania, but you most likely know me better as Storm."

"Ah, so you want to know my story? No, I don't mind sharing, but I'm afraid it isn't a very happy one. I was a poor, orphaned child, living on the streets, doing whatever she can to survive. My parents, you see, passed away while I was still young, caught in a fire that took both their lives. I was the only one who survived that day, but barely. I was trapped, in a burning building, with neither of my parents, or anybody else around. I thought for sure that it would be the end for me, but... I made it out. How? I'm not really sure. Maybe my powers might've had something to do with it, but I can't really tell you. All I remember from that moment was the roaring flames, the suffocating smoke, and a child, crying out for her parents who never came. To say I was "scared" would be putting it very lightly, and let's just say I might have a small problem dealing with anything fire related."

"Yea, yea, I know how silly that sounds. How can a girl who can summon water and ice whenever she wants ever be nervous around fire? Well, let's just say that some things... aren't that easy to get over, and leave it at that."

"Anyways, after that whole... experience, I didn't really have anybody left. I was alone. No family, no home, nothing, so I did what any kid would do in that situation; I stole. Money, food, various trinkets, you name it. I took whatever I could get my hands on just so I could keep on living, and I did it for years... until I stole from the wrong person."

"I was careless. The person I was trying to pickpocket some money from caught me, and he wasn't happy about it. He wasn't happy about it at all. I started panicking, and, before I knew it, I held out my hands, and there was a strong gust of wind that blew the man away before he could do anything to me. That was the first time I remember my powers manifesting themselves. I had no idea how I did any of that- I wasn't aware of what a mutant was at the time- but I soon discovered that I was able to control the weather around me."

"I think it was then that the people in my village started paying attention to me, but it wasn't the good kind of attention. I was called a devil child by them, and I was chased out by a mob that didn't want me around anymore. I was an outcast, a scared, confused girl that nobody wanted.

"That was when I found them. A community of people, who were just like me, who also didn't have anywhere else to go. It was a small community, with only a few dozen people, but it was a close one. They welcomed me, and, for the first time in a long time, I felt like I truly belonged somewhere. They became like a family to me."

"Do I miss them? Oh, of course I do. Hah! You should've seen the kinds of things I got into. They called me Storm because I was as wild and as untamed as a raging storm, but it didn't matter how much trouble I got into sometimes, they would always support me, and look out for me."

"...But there was a time when I needed to move on. I owe them everything for what they did for me, but I can only stay in one place for so long. I wanted to see more of the world, experience life a little more, so, when I was offered a spot here at Xavier's Institute, I took it as fast as I could! I don't know where life is going to take me from here, but that's what makes it all the more exciting, don't you think? Maybe one day I'll go back to see the people who I've come to consider my family again, but for now, I plan to enjoy my time here as much as I can, and who knows, maybe I can actually make a difference while I'm here."

quote:

Kiania Rosario
Storm

Affiliations Solo: d8 | Buddy: d6 | Team: d10

Distinctions d4(+1PP) / d8
- Pyrophobic
- Mercurial
- Strong-Willed Girl

Power Sets: Goddess of the Storm
Electrical Blast d10
Enhanced Reflexes d8
Enhanced Senses d8
Enhanced Stamina d8
Psychic Resistance d8
Subsonic Flight d8
Weather Supremacy d12
SFX: Area Attack. Target multiple opponents. For every additional target, add d6 to your pool and keep +1 effect die.
SFX: Emotional Link. Add a die to the doom pool equal to your current emotional stress to add that emotional stress die to a pool including a Goddess of the Storm power.
SFX: Immunity. Spend 1 PP to ignore stress or trauma from extremes of temperature or electricity.
SFX: Multipower. Use two or more Goddess of the Storm powers in your dice pool, at –1 step for each additional power.
Limit: Emotional Tempest. Change any Goddess of the Storm power into a complication and recover emotional stress equal to that power’s die size. Activate an opportunity or remove the complication to recover the power.
Limit: Mutant. Earn 1 PP when affected by mutant-specific Milestones and tech.

Specialties
Combat Expert d8
Cosmic Expert d8
Covert Expert d8
Crime Expert d8
Mystic Expert d8
Psych Expert d8

Milestones
My Place in the World
1 XP when you aid a hero for the first time.
3 XP when you either ask to join a new team or turn down an offer to join one.
10 XP when you either accept leadership of a team or leave your current team.

Whirlwind of Emotions
1 XP when you first use your Emotional Link SFX.
3 XP when you first activate your Emotional Tempest Limit.
10 XP when you either apologize for injuring a teammate with your powers or leavethe battlefield rather than apologize.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Steven Strange, aka Strange

Steven Strange's life was laid out before him. From a medical family, he was strongly encouraged to follow in his late father's footsteps and dreamed of nothing other than becoming the greatest surgeon the world had ever known.

That was, until the night his uncle Ben was killed on the way to a charity dinner. Wasn't killed. It's complicated. He would have been killed- held up at gunpoint, a struggle, gun goes off, assailant vanishing into the night. But Steven's mutation had manfested. He could see the thread of fate, pulling Ben towards his inevitable demise. And he could change it.

But Ben didn't belive him. It was an important event, the charity was going to provide funding to his ward, he was going to give a speech! They argued. They fought. Ben missed the dinner. And someone else died instead. A kid at his school lost his parent. And he could have stopped it. If only he had understood, he could have changed it.

Preparation for pre-med was thrown out the window. Strange swapped out his anatomy textbooks for occult journals. His biology homework ignored in place of druidic ritual. His schoolwork ignored for sorcery. He could see the mystic tomes in a new light, set aside the husks of pseudo-magical nonsese disconnected from reality, hunted down those that that hung from the web like fat insects full of secret knowledge. He drank it all in. His mutation allowed him to pull on the threads of fate, to weave the web that binds reality, but he needed to know more, MORE! Needed to see how the threads conected, how he could see the effects of a break here on the threads there.

With the natural mastery granted by his mutation, he followed the threads of fate - gazing through portals, across the world, across the cosmos, through the walls of dimensions themelves! Crawling across the great web of fate, seeking. He understood things beyond the ken of mortal minds, seen things that no man had seen or would see again. He opened his mind to the astral realm with bizarre concoctions brewed from... not quite legal compounds, expanded his consciousness by...

"You're throwing your future away with that nonsense! I don't even recognise you any more! Oh god, is that drugs!? What would your father think if he could see you now?"

Thankfully, Charles Xavier's Institute had a specialized program tailored for individuals just like Steven. The course structure should get a young, intelligent boy back on track ready to apply for pre-med in next to no time. Ben and May needed little convincing, and enrolled Strange right away.

quote:

Affiliation
Solo D10
Buddy D8
Team D6

Distinction

Weaver of Fate
Immeasurable Arrogance
Spider-Totem

Power Set
Spider Powers
Web of Fate (i.e. Precognition, Senses) D12
Spell Weaving D8
Enhanced Reflexes d8
Wall-Crawling D6

SFX: I know where you will be: When using Spider Powers to create complications, add a D6 and step up the effect die.

SFX: Spell Constructs: Add a D6 and step up your effect die when using Spider Powers to create assets

SFX: Precognative assist: Spend 1PP to add a Spider Powers power to another character's dice pool before rolling. If that character takes physical stress, step back Web of Fate. Activate an opportunity to recover Web of Fate.

SFX: Manipulate Future: If your die pool contains a Spider Powers power, spend 1PP to reroll.

Limit: Mutant
When affected by mutant-specific complications or tech, earn 1 pp.

Self Taught Mystic
Astral Projection D6

Limit: Unconscious activation - If meditating, asleep or unconscious, activate Self Taught Mystic. Else shut down Self Taught Mystic.

Mystic Master
Medicine Expert
Science Expert
Cosmic Expert

Milestones

Spider Sense, Tingling

1xp Whenever you warn someone of a future event.
3xp When you ignore your precognition at your peril
10xp When your precognition prevents a devastating event from occuring which could not have been avoided otherwise, or when your manipulations result in a devastating event ocuring which would not have otherwise.

Sorceror ...Supreme?

1xp When you first use your Mystic Specialty in a scene and succeed
3xp When you connect with or antagonise another practitioner of the mystic arts.
10xp When you take on the mantle of Sorceror Supreme, or when you realise that there are Mystics with far greater powers than your own.

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 7, 2018

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Thanks for all the submissions! Heartwarming to see so many. First off, though, announcing the retiring characters:

Marius St. Croix/M (Mr. Maltose) and Donna Fraccione/Frog (Unknown Quantity) will be leaving the cast. Y'all are welcome to app back for future episodes once things have settled down for you.

Arashiofordo3, who stepped in at the last minute to play Cyclops for episode three, will be switching to the character of Wolfsbane for this episode, and presumably future episodes as well.

Now, the new members of the team! It was hard to pick just two characters, so I didn't.

Clarice Ferguson/Blink as played by LifeGetsWorser
Jubilation Lee/Lee as played by RandallODim
Kiania Rosario/Storm as played by Tardzilla

The circumstances of why they're all now part of the team will be explained in the preamble to the new episode. They will be joining:

Rene Sinclair/Wolfsbane as played by Arashiofordo3
Jean Grey/Marvel Girl as played by Alien Rope Burn
Pyotr "Peter" Nikolayevich Rasputin/Colossus as played by Sion
Jane Doe/Wolverine as played by Tricky

Episode 4 will be starting right now!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Already off to a great start, can't wait to accidentally blow up Xavier's memory of how to ride a bicycle

E: edited post to third person :)

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 7, 2018

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

RandallODim posted:

Already off to a great start, can't wait to accidentally blow up Xavier's memory of how to ride a bicycle

Let's be fair, that'd be a memory he couldn't find much use for.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Fuego Fish posted:

Let's be fair, that'd be a memory he couldn't find much use for.

I was so enamored with that joke I had to make it somewhere after deciding it was too direct a dig for Lee to make, especially right after Adonis already made a wheelchair joke.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Double posting to say I'm gonna have an image edit of what I think Lee's projection should look like and I am very excited to post it. Jumping right into the deep end of psychological difficulties!

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
As episode four winds down, I feel obligated to ask if anyone wants to drop out or switch characters before episode five officially begins.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fuego Fish posted:

As episode four winds down, I feel obligated to ask if anyone wants to drop out or switch characters before episode five officially begins.

I am having a lot of fun with Blink and wish to keep playing her but may dismantle a milestone and come up with a different one? I have gotten exactly no mileage out of To the Moon and Back

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

I am, of course, very much down to keep going with Wolverine. I'm not 100% sure her first milestone fits with the narrative that's going, but I'll figure it out either way after the next session.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
If you've got a milestone or two that turns out doesn't fit your character so great, feel free to swap it out for next episode.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
ok, I think I've got a better fitting milestone for ol' Clarice than her past which hasn't done anything for her anyway at this point.

BLINK AND YOU'LL MISS IT
1xp when you act overly excited to cover up a misgiving or fear about the current situation
3xp when you let the mask drop to reveal your vulnerable, shy, depressed side
10xp when you finally let someone in to help you with your fear, doubt, and guilt; or when you convince yourself that everything's just fine with no one's help

Let me know if you think it need's some tinkering with, Fuego Fish (or anybody).

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Prize Fighter
1 XP when you use Take The Hit for the first time in combat.
3 XP when you use a dice pool including MENACE EXPERT or PSYCH EXPERT to inflict emotional stress or create a complication.
10 XP when you choose to either defeat an opponent using a d12 asset created by Organic Steel Transformation, or defeat an opponent with all mutant powers deactivated.

Return to the Motherland
1 XP when you first draw on your Russian heritage.
3 XP when you make your Russian heritage the central issue of a confrontation or conflict.
10 XP when you either deny your Russian heritage completely or abandon your friends for Russia.

New Powerset:
ELECTRICAL CONDUIT
d8 Electricity Blast
SFX: Gathering Power. On a successful reaction against an electricity-powered action, convert the sources effect die into an Electrical Conduit stunt or step up an Electrical Conduit power until used in an action. If your sources action succeeds, spend 1 pp to use this SFX.
Limit: Mutant. When affected by mutant-specific complications or tech, earn 1 pp.
Limit: Requires Osmium Form.

5 xp left over. Look okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Yup, all looks ok to me. Good stuff!

• Locked thread