Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is maven great?
yes!
yes!!
yasss
yes?
View Results

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

for a long while I though C++ was great and java sucked. i mean, c++ is fast and can do cooler things than java, plus no type erasure.

and then i worked on a project that used maven, and i saw the light

easy, quick builds? no more dependency hell? the dream of "just run ./configure && make && make install" realized, but even simpler? maven had it all

how easy and simple maven made building and using other people's code made me a j-lang convert

thank you maven for all that you do :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
pity bump

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

java is awful, so why would i use maven?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
quoth the maven "nevermore"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
the worst poster in d&d likes maven, I guess it's time to learn gradle

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

cis autodrag posted:

the worst poster in d&d likes maven, I guess it's time to learn gradle

i like maven-likes like sbt and gradle too

you should move to ant or makefiles to spite me

Condiv fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 23, 2017

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

lol, i typed sbt and my phone autocorrected to ant

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
maven is the best and msbuild is poo poo on the level of ant or gradle

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Maven: the smart solution for dumb coders

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"I looooooove Maven sooooooooo much because it spares me, a programmeur, the horrible nightmare of telling computer what to do" *hugs*

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
maven's good folks

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Good at getting in the way

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

if maven is getting in your way you are doing something dumb

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
it's okay but i would never want to work on it myself
just tell me what aliases I should create

sbt seems okay too

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

HoboMan posted:

if maven is getting in your way you are doing something dumb
i.e. using maven

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Condiv posted:

, plus no type erasure.

is that true? how does C++ accomplish this without runtime overhead?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

"I looooooove Maven sooooooooo much because it spares me, a programmeur, the horrible nightmare of telling computer what to do" *hugs*

bad programmers hate maven and they cant understand why it makes them such bad programmers

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

is that true? how does C++ accomplish this without runtime overhead?

in c++, templates are used to generate code. if you use a vector<int> and a vector<string>, you have two (at least? i dunno what happens with incremental compilation and linking) definitions, one for vectors of ints and one for vectors of strings.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

template programming is the dumbest poo poo ever

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i've seen 11 million lines of java built with ant lol

believe me when i say maven is good but we're too far gone

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Gazpacho posted:

yeah, having the computer figure out what to do on its own is p great

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

and if the computer can't figure it out this is a good sign you are doing something crazy

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
expecting computer to just figure things out the right way without being instructed is the mark of a terrible programmer

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Gazpacho posted:

expecting computer to just figure things out the right way without being instructed is the mark of a terrible programmer

that's why there are build definitions for maven

you tell computer the things it can't figure out, and let it handle the stuff it can

what makes maven so great is it's designed to let computer handle a lot of the hassle of building as opposed to ant or makefiles

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

Gazpacho posted:

when you make your posts do you type http requests into a socket or do you just expect your browser to figure it out

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
you've biased the question by limiting it to posts, there are times when I do type HTTP requests into netcat. also when I interview people for web stack jobs I always ask them to explain what a browser does to load a page, so that I will never again have to be the one to explain after they're hired that javascript doesn't magically execute "somewhere"

e: besides forum fuckery is bannable as you know

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 25, 2017

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
my last experience with maven was shoehorning it into an existing eclipse rcp that had been built without any consideration for it

i guess the end result was an improvement but holy poo poo what a soul-killing chore

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
maven, like islam, demands total submission

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Gazpacho posted:

maven, like islam, demands total submission

insallah

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

finally, a jihad i can get behind

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the wise man bowed his head solemnly aand spoke: "code is actually a kind of configuration. you imbecile. you loving moron"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
if build DSLs like gradle or grunt offend you its probably because you're bad at writing code in any language to do anything

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Gazpacho posted:

:rant:

post ur pom.xml

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Helianthus Annuus posted:

post ur pom.xml

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i think i may have pinpointed why maven is not working for you

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
what is it? which option do I need to fiddle with to make the magic box do what I want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Gazpacho posted:

what is it? which option do I need to fiddle with to make the magic box do what I want?

have you tried the power button? maybe turning your monitor on?

• Locked thread