Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
the most important parts of mafia are:

1. always be honest about what you're thinking,
2. try and support your thoughts with evidence or at least some sort of reason as to why you think what you're thinking, and, most importantly,
3. :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kumba posted:

the most important parts of mafia are:

1. always be honest about what you're thinking,
2. try and support your thoughts with evidence or at least some sort of reason as to why you think what you're thinking, and, most importantly,
3. :justpost:

1. unless you're scum
2. if you're scum, this is the part where you lie
3. :yeah:

But don't worry, we all suck at mafia no matter how long we've played for. The trick is to just keep playing and have fun!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So a quick breakdown of my thoughts on the game and setup.

Was the game balanced?

Eh Maybe? Scum got rolled pretty hard. So the question is how much was on me as mod and how much due to play?

A lot of it was due to D1 and D3 being disasters for scum. I honestly didn't think that DB would immediately reveal his flavour in the first few posts of the thread. I'd mentioned flavour was accurate a bunch of times and with him being a Godfather, I imagined he'd keep his flavour close to his chest. In addition, RF was unlucky picking the one of the only two characters in the game who didn't generate momentum and since there was no town lynch Gif didn't activate his ability either.

I feel like I should have made one scum momentum builder run counter to the flow of play. My initial design had Steph generating momentum per number of votes on a scum target, so scum would get compensation if one of their people died in the form of her momentum.

So D1 is probably on me.

D3 is the other disaster. There Scum had a loaded strongman on the NK and chose not to use it which meant Cpig survived. I think this was a genuine error on scum's part, given that killing someone generates half the momentum for their strongman vig. I'd intended abilities to act as hints to the game setup for scum, so I placed strongman as a whole role whereas ninja was part of JOAT because there was a lot of BP in the game, but very little tracking and watching.

From there a well placed People's Elbow took down the two scum who hadn't inadvertently incriminated themselves D1 and the game was basically over.

So a little is on my design, a little is on the scum team's play.

Other things:

The most obvious thing is that next time I'll need to buddy up with someone on the U.S. side to ensure the flip can happen at a better time for people.

As mentioned, scum's abilities were there to give them hints about what roles existed in the game. HHH was a Godfather because there was a cop with a good momentum builder. Stephanie was a JOAT because there were watching/redirecting abilities in small amounts in the game and Rikishi was a Strongman because there was a /lot/ of BP in the game.

In a shoutout to the Attitude Era, with Triple H being a Godfather I made Chris Jericho the only person who could meaningfully detect who he was, by being able to flavourcop him, referring to that Title change I posted when Triple H was lynched.

I'd originally wanted the Rock to be a Nightvig only, but got tempted because of a desire to posted People's Elbow gifs to make him a Dayvig. I suspect this made Rock too powerful.

Other than that, I feel like Trish might have been too powerful, her momentum generation ability and doc with a revealed Rock for example would have been crazy.

I feel like potentially Hal with Farooq got the short straw. Not enough people had the kind of momentum to spare to have a bodyguard.

The last thing is that I tried to have all characters have momentum builders and abilities that fit their characters. Some worked out really well, Rock was great, Undertaker was pretty cool, but I couldn't get others to fit as well as I'd have liked. I'll work on that for next time.

But all in all, I was happy with how stuff went! Hope everyone enjoyed it!

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
FWIW I scumread DB hard D1 on his posting. I had no idea what his flavour softclaim was. But yeah I think the balance was strongly in town's favour. They won it based on PR POE more than scumhunting.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
You did fine. this was a balanced setup for the most part, scum didnt get rolled that hard, there was a lot of dead town before that. Once the first scum was down though it was easier to figure out who was scum via elimination/ night action analysis.

• Locked thread