Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

CoolCab posted:

oh it's definitely still a flagship Netflix title in the UK - bus ads and promotional support and everything.

You say that but I've never once had a customer talk to me about it at the company I work at (who provides Netflix), we've never advertised it here and nobody around me or anyone I've ever met watches it.
I know anecdotal evidence but that's a LOT of people for the customer base, enough to make a representative sample.

Nor is it promoted as one of the things to mention to persuade people to get Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I still say DS9 should have, instead of the "we don't talk about it" line, made it so that in all the scenes set in the 23rd century, Michael Dorn is made up like the TOS Klingons, and nobody notices or acknowledges it whatsoever. The instant they get back to the 24th century, he's back to normal. Similarly, Arne Darvin should have been made up like a 24th century Klingon in the 24th century scenes.

I completely agree. I wonder if anyone threw that idea out at any point.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

MichiganCubbie posted:

I completely agree. I wonder if anyone threw that idea out at any point.

Probably because they thought people would get confused and write angry letters at them again. Which happened when they blew up the not-Enterprise.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
[Amazon UK are promoting the gently caress out of Picard.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

twistedmentat posted:

It makes me wonder if there's anyone who grew up on Star Trek TNG and such that made it into current TV production, or maybe everyone's just poisoned by Prestige TV and its endless nihilism. Like you can't make positive uplifting TV, everything needs to have a cynical edge to it.

ashpanash posted:

Television is one of the purest distillations of popular culture, and there's no doubt that today's popular culture follows a certain zeitgeist. You're welcome to try to fight against the sea, but you'll have a lot more luck (and success) surfing its waves.

No doubt, but you can still do this and have it be well written. It's not the direction I'd necessarily want for a new Star Trek series, but I'd accept it if it weren't such an aggressively mediocre product.

Look at Netflix's new Lost in Space, it absolutely brings the premise into the contemporary zeitgeist, dealing with murky issues while keeping it as a show for a family audience.

It strays a lot from the original (but seriously, who'd give a poo poo about a completely faithful Lost in Space? That'd be like doing a faithful adaptation of My Three Sons or some poo poo) but keeps much of the core characterisations and themes of exploration and family. It's tightly plotted, the characters are well realised and developed and the conflicts don't dive into tacky melodrama.

It's not really my thing, but I'm not the target audience. It's basically The Expanse for a family living room.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I still say DS9 should have, instead of the "we don't talk about it" line, made it so that in all the scenes set in the 23rd century, Michael Dorn is made up like the TOS Klingons, and nobody notices or acknowledges it whatsoever. The instant they get back to the 24th century, he's back to normal. Similarly, Arne Darvin should have been made up like a 24th century Klingon in the 24th century scenes.

Why stop there? They could also have made the Defiant look like a 60's-era model suspended from a string or whatever.

Totally a new goon
Oct 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Why stop there? They could also have made the Defiant look like a 60's-era model suspended from a string or whatever.

I love it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The Enterprise wasn't suspended from a string in TOS. They attached it to a pole and dollyed a camera past it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

It strays a lot from the original (but seriously, who'd give a poo poo about a completely faithful Lost in Space? That'd be like doing a faithful adaptation of My Three Sons or some poo poo) but keeps much of the core characterisations and themes of exploration and family. It's tightly plotted, the characters are well realised and developed and the conflicts don't dive into tacky melodrama.

It seems like Parkey Posey's entire role on that show is to just generate maximum melodrama at all points. I lost interest season 2 because it just seems like it's just piling problem after problem in, plus they keep letting the problem-source run free and it gets a bit tiring.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Khanstant posted:

It seems like Parkey Posey's entire role on that show is to just generate maximum melodrama at all points. I lost interest season 2 because it just seems like it's just piling problem after problem in, plus they keep letting the problem-source run free and it gets a bit tiring.

Her character is such that she's one of the main sources of emotional conflict for much of the show (that's inevitable for lost in space), but they approach this by writing her as a pathological liar who's self interest feels constantly under threat due to the situation, and she does actually has an arc through season 2.

That said, she's not really driving the plots (that's usually external forces), she's an insidious antagonist, chipping away at people, gaslighting and being manipulative since that's really the only tools she has from her disadvantaged position.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 16, 2020

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Khanstant posted:

It seems like Parkey Posey's entire role on that show is to just generate maximum melodrama at all points.

Yeah, but isn't that always the function of Dr. Smith?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really could not enjoy Netflix Lost in Space because everyone seemed really dumb and Smith's manipulations were transparent and obvious in a way no reasonable person would be convinced by.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

twistedmentat posted:

I really could not enjoy Netflix Lost in Space because everyone seemed really dumb and Smith's manipulations were transparent and obvious in a way no reasonable person would be convinced by.

Eh, she's mostly tricking a bunch of kids. I thought it did a good job making that kind of personality disorder easily understandable (both how these people operate and often how they're formed) to the target pre-teen audience.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

CoolCab posted:

oh it's definitely still a flagship Netflix title in the UK - bus ads and promotional support and everything.

No doubt it is still a major title for them - I've just heard that they were pretty dissatisfied with the first season and where the first season was indeed paid for by the Netflix deal CBS had to cover a lot of season 2.

This is backed up in the fight between CBS and Netflix over Short Treks (supposedly CBS wanted Netflix to pay the same amount for those they were for the full episodes, and in the end they basically gave them to Netflix) and that Netflix wasn't even involved in the bidding for Picard.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

Maybe Smith started out as a Republican senator. :boom:

Picardilly? :groan:

ST:PIcard premiered in Hollywood and there's a bunch of online content like the new cast members introducing themselves.

https://ca.startrek.com/videos/watch-the-star-trek-picard-hollywood-premiere

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
New thread for Picard, Disco S3, and more here