Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Binary Logic posted:

Jett Reno: The Adventure Continues

Okay, I am onboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

NZAmoeba posted:

What's with the Kai Wynn hate? Her veiled insults were magnificent and she was an excellent character to hate.

Whatever you want to believe, Child.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

lol that they are going to make 4 Trek shows when the one they already make is terrible.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“We made five shows about space 9/11s oh god how did this happen”

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Peachfart posted:

lol that they are going to make 4 Trek shows when the one they already make is terrible.

They’re throwing poo poo at the wall in hopes of finding a hit. Same reason they keep hiring and firing showrunners.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

skasion posted:

They’re throwing poo poo at the wall in hopes of finding a hit. Same reason they keep hiring and firing showrunners.

You'd think that waiting until Picard and Below Decks are out would still be a good plan though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

skasion posted:

iirc Fuller was fired for being Fuller and his replacements were fired in season 2 for being insanely abusive to the writers and crew.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

They've got to have set a record for the most number of producers on a tv show.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Even without the turnover, the show has a weird about of producers. It’s almost like CBS was super skittish about bringing Trek back to TV, and hired like 39 people just to design-by-committee it to be a Cool Hit™.

It kinda shows how little faith the higher ups had in this show from the beginning.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

Kai Dolores Umbridge

Rather than apparating straight to Hogwarts, my mind stayed firmly trapped in Trek and turned this onto

Kai Kevin Uxbridge

Now that would have been a surprise for the cardassians

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

https://twitter.com/DualFed/status/1216743272967757826?s=20

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

iirc Fuller was fired for being Fuller and his replacements were fired in season 2 for being insanely abusive to the writers and crew.

Mild bad behavior from the creatives is usually tolerated as long as their work is successful. In this case though, CBS needs to make the show work because it’s their streaming service tentpole and they invest a lot into it, so they have an interest in finding a bigger audience for it. Disco showrunners haven’t done it so far or they’d still be in jobs.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

skasion posted:

Mild bad behavior from the creatives is usually tolerated as long as their work is successful. In this case though, CBS needs to make the show work because it’s their streaming service tentpole and they invest a lot into it, so they have an interest in finding a bigger audience for it. Disco showrunners haven’t done it so far or they’d still be in jobs.

Or maybe they really were abusive to the writers?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Or maybe they really were abusive to the writers?

Yes, that’s what I said. But if the show was making CBS a bunch of money, they wouldn’t care.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I mean, it kinda makes sense, if unfortunate.

• Fuller gets to be in charge of the cool new Star Trek series, but a lot is riding on it, so he needs to behave himself and get poo poo done. He doesn’t, and is quickly replaced by Berg and Harberts.

• Berg and Harberts do the best they can to pick up the pieces and move on a tight deadline, with mixed results. Unfortunately they are also giant pieces of poo poo to their staff, and CBS cans them to avoid an HR nightmare.

• Kurtzman reluctantly steps in to get his hands dirty with season two while they hunt for a new showrunner, because someone’s gotta do it. This takes place for the majority of the season, and Michelle Paradise is finally hired for the last two episodes and season three.

Maybe Paradise will be the one that sticks? She seems more than competent.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

skasion posted:

Yes, that’s what I said. But if the show was making CBS a bunch of money, they wouldn’t care.

Do you have any sources to say that it isn't making them a bunch of money?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I was under the impression Disco was making a fuckton of money.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

HD DAD posted:

How much money, who knows for any streaming show. But the second season did better than the first, and it clearly does well enough that they’re going to keep making it (and more Trek shows). it’s not a hit on the level of the biggest streaming shows either. All Access doesn’t have that kind of market share to be matching big Netflix shows (or Mandalorian) yet, but CBS are probably assuming Disco can drive them in that direction if they manage to improve the show. Hence the changes.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
If they're making 2 more shows, just god please let one of them be optimistic and hopeful instead of broken and cynical.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I don't get why production companies throw out this nonsense. They're never making all of those shows. It's like HBO announcing 5 GoT spinoff shows and getting none, or Sony announcing a Spidey movie every year and immediately stalling.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

davidspackage posted:

I don't get why production companies throw out this nonsense. They're never making all of those shows. It's like HBO announcing 5 GoT spinoff shows and getting none, or Sony announcing a Spidey movie every year and immediately stalling.

It's basically free advertisement. They company announces (thing) and every nerd website and youtuber spread the information like wildfire for years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just wanted to echo the Kai Wynn love. She was great. Gul Dukat is forever the best Trek baddie though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nullsmack posted:

If they're making 2 more shows, just god please let one of them be optimistic and hopeful instead of broken and cynical.

Well, one of them is about Section 31 so outlook not good.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

HD DAD posted:

Netflix basically bankrolled it in return for international rights. Whatever it does for that CBS streaming service is basically irrelevant for the future of the show, Netflix is the real buyer. Given they have a nasty habit of just suddenly canning shows after 2 seasons if the viewership isn't there and gently caress you if you wanted any sort of resolution, and given Disco made it to S3, it's probably done ok.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The Discovery show runners also went widely over budget at the start of S2.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Rhyno posted:

Just wanted to echo the Kai Wynn love. She was great. Gul Dukat is forever the best Trek baddie though.

Dukat went downhill when he went full bad Pai-Wraith. He was far better with shades of grey. I loved pirate Dukat flying around in a stolen Bird of Prey in season 4.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bajoran Dukat and Jim Jones Dukat were pretty great though

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Bajoran Dukat and Jim Jones Dukat were pretty great though

it was only at the very end he got bad, brazenly attempting to bullshit his way out of knocking up one of his followers and shacking up with the space pope were some top quality 'kat

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Everything to do with the Pah wraiths is at best, wasted potential. It’s not Dukat’s fault they sucked

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Pastamania posted:

Netflix basically bankrolled it in return for international rights. Whatever it does for that CBS streaming service is basically irrelevant for the future of the show, Netflix is the real buyer. Given they have a nasty habit of just suddenly canning shows after 2 seasons if the viewership isn't there and gently caress you if you wanted any sort of resolution, and given Disco made it to S3, it's probably done ok.

Supposedly that was just for season 1.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It makes me wonder if there's anyone who grew up on Star Trek TNG and such that made it into current TV production, or maybe everyone's just poisoned by Prestige TV and its endless nihilism. Like you can't make positive uplifting TV, everything needs to have a cynical edge to it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Television is one of the purest distillations of popular culture, and there's no doubt that today's popular culture follows a certain zeitgeist. You're welcome to try to fight against the sea, but you'll have a lot more luck (and success) surfing its waves.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

twistedmentat posted:

It makes me wonder if there's anyone who grew up on Star Trek TNG and such that made it into current TV production, or maybe everyone's just poisoned by Prestige TV and its endless nihilism. Like you can't make positive uplifting TV, everything needs to have a cynical edge to it.

Seth McFarlane.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

mehall posted:

Please please please Captain Pike show

A Captain Pike show where they just embrace the cheese and go full on TOS. No massive overbearing threats to the whole Galaxy or anything like that, just flying around dealing with godlike aliens and gangster planets.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Snow Cone Capone posted:

tbh I think I prefer "we didn't think it through" to "here is our in-universe explanation for 'we didn't have a facial prosthetics budget on TOS'"

I still say DS9 should have, instead of the "we don't talk about it" line, made it so that in all the scenes set in the 23rd century, Michael Dorn is made up like the TOS Klingons, and nobody notices or acknowledges it whatsoever. The instant they get back to the 24th century, he's back to normal. Similarly, Arne Darvin should have been made up like a 24th century Klingon in the 24th century scenes.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Senor Tron posted:

A Captain Pike show where they just embrace the cheese and go full on TOS. No massive overbearing threats to the whole Galaxy or anything like that, just flying around dealing with godlike aliens and gangster planets.

The whole "the stakes have never been higher!!!!!!!!1" thing is just modern cheese.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

twistedmentat posted:

Well, one of them is about Section 31 so outlook not good.

Keep in mind, the best premise for the Section 31 show is Michelle Yeoh kicking Tal Shiar agents in the head every week. We'd all watch that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd watch Michelle Yeoh host a cooking show.

Where she burns everything and kicks the audience in the head every week.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I still say DS9 should have, instead of the "we don't talk about it" line, made it so that in all the scenes set in the 23rd century, Michael Dorn is made up like the TOS Klingons, and nobody notices or acknowledges it whatsoever. The instant they get back to the 24th century, he's back to normal. Similarly, Arne Darvin should have been made up like a 24th century Klingon in the 24th century scenes.

You're right, that would have been way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

pyrotek posted:

Supposedly that was just for season 1.

oh it's definitely still a flagship Netflix title in the UK - bus ads and promotional support and everything.