Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

The Lord Bude posted:

It doesn't help that Avery Brooks basically hasn't acted on screen since. I don't think he's even appeared on Stage since 2011. At least we still get to hang out with Patrick Stewart and Kate Mulgrew in other stuff. I've always wondered why he basically fell off the face of the earth.

He's a professor teaching ACT-ING somewhere swanky.

Besides, why bother after you know you've already given the best performance of your career and you'll never top it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzm6pvHPSGo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

counterfeitsaint posted:

He's a professor teaching ACT-ING somewhere swanky.

Besides, why bother after you know you've already given the best performance of your career and you'll never top it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzm6pvHPSGo

He was also known during DS9's run to be mainly a stage actor, and very professional. Avery Brooks saw DS9 as another job, nothing more, and very rarely bled his personal feelings into the show - one of the few exceptions being changing the ending to have Sisko promise to return, rather than being a black guy abandoning his pregnant wife and son.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sardikar posted:

What he do, run over your cat? Such emptive language over something that isn't real.

He’s just a designer with an extraordinarily ugly style and he’s been the go-to ship guy for Trek for 20 years. His designs are flat, ugly, and usually rely on sharp elongated concepts and extremely busy textures. It’s a style that contrasts badly with almost every other design that came before.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He’s just a designer with an extraordinarily ugly style and he’s been the go-to ship guy for Trek for 20 years. His designs are flat, ugly, and usually rely on sharp elongated concepts and extremely busy textures. It’s a style that contrasts badly with almost every other design that came before.

I wouldn't mind his contributions at all if he weren't as you say the go-to starship guy for ages at this point. The dude's ships more often than not look really same-ish regardless of species or time period and it's just like arghhhh

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Cythereal posted:

He was also known during DS9's run to be mainly a stage actor, and very professional. Avery Brooks saw DS9 as another job, nothing more, and very rarely bled his personal feelings into the show - one of the few exceptions being changing the ending to have Sisko promise to return, rather than being a black guy abandoning his pregnant wife and son.

That, and basically becoming Cirroc Lofton's surrogate father.

randommanthefirst
May 10, 2009

The first in a long line of random men.
Nap Ghost

Big Mean Jerk posted:

How big are the Disco models compared to the main line?

These are little die cast models. The Shenzhou is 8 inches long and Disco is about 10.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

According to the printed poo poo that came with the models he was instructed by Bryan Fuller to make the Starfleet ships as flat as possible with absolutely no rounded nacelles. God knows why.

randommanthefirst fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 18, 2018

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Until he met his cross-time bae, Ralph McQuarrie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

McSpanky posted:

Until he met his cross-time bae, Ralph McQuarrie.

Nah, McQuarrie's and Eaves' styles couldn't be more dissimilar. McQuarrie was an incredible artist on the level of Syd Mead.

He was also partly responsible for the design of Starfleet HQ in Voyage Home. The Enterprise concept is pretty much the only poo poo design he ever had. Meanwhile, I doubt John Eaves could finish a circle unless you spot him the first 270°.

ed; While I'm at it, it's worth noting that McQuarrie was originally contacted to head up concept work on TMP, but couldn't since he was busy with ESB. Instead, he recommended his protege, Andy Probert. That alone makes him a far better influence on the franchise than John Eaves.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 18, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

McQuarrie is great, but he tends to have a deliberate ungainly/industrial feel to all of his ships that's pretty incompatible with Trek. It's crossing the streams. I've never been that fond of TVH's Starfleet HQ, for similar reasons.

Ugh, raising the nacelles slightly does so much to help it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 18, 2018

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

John Eaves is bad because he makes all of his ships are lumpy and everything looks like it's from the same era. Put the Discovery, NX-01, Akira, Sovereign, and Steamrunner all together and pick which one goes to which era.

People bitch about the Abrams movies, but at least those ships mostly look like they're from the TOS-era, even if it's a modified one.

Now do it with the Excelsior, Ambassador, Galaxy, Intrepid, or Defiant. Those look like a overall progression.

Also, Discovery's Klingon ships are loving terrible.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MichiganCubbie posted:

Discovery's Klingon ships are loving terrible.

Possibly the worst designed space ships ever.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yes, but

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The Discovery and the JJ Enterprise are the nicest ship designs since the original series.

From Next Generation onwards they are awfully cluttered and generic looking.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

PriorMarcus posted:

The Discovery and the JJ Enterprise are the nicest ship designs since the original series.

From Next Generation onwards they are awfully cluttered and generic looking.

Boo this man.

Boo him slightly less if he counts the TOS films as the original series.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I dunno TNG had some great designs. The romulan warbird is one of my favorite ships of all time. Even in ENT i thought the vulcan ships looked nice. The JJ 1701 was fine as a sleeked up enterprise, but the discovery is just... weirdly proportioned and shaped.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

JJ 1701 would have been better if the deflector dish didn’t stick out too far. From other angles it looks ok, but from the side it throws me off.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

JJ 1701 would have been better if the deflector dish didn’t stick out too far.

It's not the dish, it's the weird "underbite" the ship has because the neck is positioned too far back on the engineering hull.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah that was what I meant. It’s so distracting.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

JJ's Enterprise and the other Starfleet ships from those movies (except Vengeance) are way better than Discovery's ships.

The Shenzhou is decent, but it looks just like an Akira. The Edison/Hoover class look the closest to the TNG-era, but they all fit better into a post-Dominion War time.

Discovery's Enterprise was the best looking ship in that show. It actually looked like it vaguely belonged in that era. Maybe in the movie-era, but that's much closer than the others.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MichiganCubbie posted:

JJ's Enterprise and the other Starfleet ships from those movies (except Vengeance) are way better than Discovery's ships.

Vengeance is fine--I loving love those death-engine sounds--outside of the weird angling of the nacelles. Having them flare down halfway up the struts gives it a weird Voyager-ish feel.

Discovery's ship design is balls all the way down outside of the NCC-1701.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
JJprise giant nacelles remind me of some anime like digimon or the Zits comic strip constant jokes about kids sneakers being so HUGE

The nacelles are comically oversized, I guess is what I'm saying. It IS still a lesser problem than the underbite

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Timby posted:

Vengeance is fine--I loving love those death-engine sounds

The moment that happened in Into Darkness is one of the most terrifying things I have seen in a Star Trek movie. Wonderful, wonderful scene!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Modern starships suck a lot also because there are few if any cool characters associated with them

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

One of Discovery’s designers is on the FB fan page and dropped an interesting nugget: the DSC Enterprise is similar in scale to the Shenzou in diameter and the design differences came down to a licensing issue (the Jefferies estate holds the rights to the original Enterprise design) with directives from higher saying the ship had to look at least 25% different.

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 21, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Retardog posted:

(the Jefferies estate holds the rights to the original Enterprise design)

This seems ... suspect at best, considering how common work-for-hire arrangements were during that time.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Timby posted:

This seems ... suspect at best, considering how common work-for-hire arrangements were during that time.

Could be. The quote was “It should also be noted that the ship was never going to look like the original for legal reasons. The design rights are with the Jefferies estate and for reasons Im not aware of CBS chose not to get use of those rights so we were told to make her a minimum of 25% different.”

To which he (Scott Schneider) followed up with:

“ I have no idea the legal aspects. Only what my design brief outlined. The Jefferies estate was never mentioned only that we had to be 25% different for legal reasons. My understanding from what Ive been told by others is that the Jefferies estate holds the design rights but I cant confirm or deny that.”

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I see what y'all are saying about non era specific enough designs, but man I really liked the Enterprise E design...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Notorious ZSB posted:

but man I really liked the Enterprise E design...

yo dawg i heard you like sharp edges on your ships so i put sharp edges on your sharp edges

Edit: Admittedly Discovery puts the angular look of the Sovereign class to shame, but the Sovereign is still full of weird angles:

And Jesus, the bridge is a disaster of design.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
At least it's very clearly a fed ship progression and generally well proportioned.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

It's literally just bits and pieces of previous bridges that they had from the other shows/movies and once you know that it's impossible to unsee the various elements stapled together

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Timby posted:

I don't get how anyone can look at poo poo like that and not think that Discovery nailed it.

The Klingon stuff though is loving terrible, yes, but I liked all the Federation stuff except the boring looking space station.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't get how anyone can look at poo poo like that and not think that Discovery nailed it.

It's more like they're both terrible.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Discovery looks like a low poly video game model from the late 90s

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah you know how they used to hide poor rendering in cutscenes in 90's videogames using lensflares? That's what this looks like except in a higher resolution which somehow makes it look worse.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

The Klingon stuff though is loving terrible, yes, but I liked all the Federation stuff except the boring looking space station.

Star Trek is bad therefore this Star Trek is good;

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’m of the opinion that you could easily improve the Discovery by making the saucer 50% larger. It would still be an ugly design but it wouldn’t look so lopsided.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I don't actually care about the ship's design at all but the fact that the rest of the show sucks makes the ship design just one more dingleberry on the shitpile

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I like the phaser, and the little kid in me wants to buy the phaser toy because it looks cool, but everything surrounding snaps me back to reality and its like welp welp

e: Action Feature! It makes you want to put it to your temple and fire via an IR signal from the show as it plays on your TV!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Timby posted:

Yeah, like Wah Chang barely gets credit to this day, but the Jeffries estate owns the TOS Constitution design? If it's true, then I can forgive the DISCO guys for changing it I guess, though I'd rather them just pay for it. I mean, poo poo, it showed up in DS9 and ENT. Is CBS that cash strapped? And why didn't Jeffries sue the poo poo out of all the fan films that use it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I have a really hard time believing it's an estate issue. All the times TOS footage of it was recycled, all the times it was merchandised, all the times new CGI renders got done for it (DS9, Enterprise, TOS-R) for over thirty years after TOS, and now it's an issue?

And there's no way it's a cash issue, given how much they spent on the rest of the show and the fact that DS9 and Enterprise were willing and able to pay for it.

EDIT: Here's the slam-dunk: there's no way there's an estate issue, because if there was one, there's absolutely no way whatsoever the Constitution model would have shown up in the old Klingon Academy video game, which was on a shoestring as gently caress budget.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 22, 2018