Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

The lifelong trek nerd filed the numbers off and nailed it on his first try

That's just, like, your opinion, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

i can only interpret that as CBS desperately throwing poo poo at the wall hoping something sticks. The lifelong trek nerd filed the numbers off and nailed it on his first try, this is their season 2 trailer:

There's some good stuff in there.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Pretty sure I saw some not-Ferengi looking ships in there. That'd be great.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Yeah I can't believe Orville invented "humor" and Discovery is ripping them off for including some.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I like it when startrak has good people doing good things and cracking a smile occasionally.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

I like it when startrak has good people doing good things and cracking a smile occasionally.

And farting and sneezing big boogers without apologizing and saying gently caress

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Bloop posted:

And farting and sneezing big boogers without apologizing and saying gently caress

And nudity and cannibalism and people pissing on camera.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Cythereal posted:

And nudity and cannibalism and people pissing on camera.

SO progressive! What humanism!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

All of those things own

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

All of those things own

The graphic rape torture scene was especially progressive and trekky

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Bloop posted:

The graphic rape torture scene was especially progressive and trekky

Both trek shows have rape. One had klingon tittays and the other one had Norm MacDonald as a blob rape the doctor.

Maybe Star Trek is actually all about rape???

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Both trek shows have rape. One had klingon tittays and the other one had Norm MacDonald as a blob rape the doctor.

Listen, I'm no fan of rape, but this still sounds like an argument for the Orville

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Maybe Star Trek is actually all about rape???

That is an unfair characterization of one of the shows.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

i can only interpret that as CBS desperately throwing poo poo at the wall hoping something sticks. The lifelong trek nerd filed the numbers off and nailed it on his first try, this is their season 2 trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lavy7qZ1aoo&t=11s

This looks really good, and makes STD look like poo poo.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Peachfart posted:

Alternate take: That looks really good, and Discovery looks like it's taking the right direction!

Based on past performance the Orville is going to be comfy and funny and good, and Discovery will be something entirely different. It's having a harder time finding its footing, but it's got potential, and the trailer looks like it's going more or less in the right direction.

Things are good.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I don't give a gently caress about spock

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

"Welcome, current Star Trek franchise stewards. I'm glad you were able to make it here in one piece. If you can produce a film or series concept that is in no way a prequel or set contemporary to the Original Series era, you can leave here alive."

"time trav... rebooted Klin... SPOCKSPOCKSPOCKSPOCKSPOCKSPOCKSPOCKSPOCKSPOCKSPOCKSPOCKSPOCKSPOCKSP":commissar:

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 22, 2018

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Hey, saw a new trailer had dropped, thought I'd swing by the thread to remind everyone that Star Trek Discovery is the best Trek show ever made, no I will not be taking questions at this time.

I actually watched the trailer twice, the first time it had a Lenny Kravitz tune behind it, which looks to be the version posted up thread. I then saw it on the UK Netflix channel and they use different music. I prefer it without that awful Kravitz song, because it's a poo poo thing from the '90s that wasn't very good then, and has only gotten worse over time. Much like all post-TNG Trek shows from the period amirite? Ayyyyyyy

Anyway, here's the version with better music. My only complaint is not enough Tilly. Show owns, trailer owns, and I'm ready for this poo poo to be injected straight into my veins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Cd7NKKvDc

Peachfart posted:

I mean, if you like it and enjoy it more power to you. I can't get over how it really looks like it was filmed in the late '90s and I don't mean that in a complimentary way. I get that it's supposed to be a comedy, but it looks so... "filmed before a live studio audience" if you get what I mean.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lavy7qZ1aoo&t=11s

When you look at that and Doctor Who, it's almost like putting fans in charge of the series who are also skilled tv makers, instead of studio picks of non fans who will "shake things up" is a recipe for success....

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Astroman posted:

When you look at that and Doctor Who, it's almost like putting fans in charge of the series who are also skilled tv makers, instead of studio picks of non fans who will "shake things up" is a recipe for success....

:laugh: if you are referring to Moffat

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

"Guys. Guys! GUYS!

What if...guys. What if The Doctor meets the TARDIS as a woman! That's his real wife!

Where are you all going? Why are you all quitting?"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Moffat had some abysmal lows it's true, but when he had a high, like the entire 50th, it was great. YMMV with River Song, but she's popular enough to have a Big Finish spinoff and many fans like her. Say what you will about Moffat, he's a huge fan, he knows the series inside out, and he gets Doctor Who. He doesn't represent every fan, but he represents a large chunk of the base. Same with RTD and presumably Chibnall.

Point is even Moffat is far better than "what if we brought in someone who's never seen Doctor Who before and will make it more accessible to non fans" or "here's a producer who says he watched a ton of the Classic Series as a kid and wants to do a fresh new take"--ie how Star Trek has been run for the past 15 years.

I'd rather have this:

than "Geordi, he's the alien, right?"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Astroman posted:

Moffat had some abysmal lows it's true, but when he had a high, like the entire 50th, it was great. YMMV with River Song, but she's popular enough to have a Big Finish spinoff and many fans like her. Say what you will about Moffat, he's a huge fan, he knows the series inside out, and he gets Doctor Who. He doesn't represent every fan, but he represents a large chunk of the base. Same with RTD and presumably Chibnall.

Point is even Moffat is far better than "what if we brought in someone who's never seen Doctor Who before and will make it more accessible to non fans" or "here's a producer who says he watched a ton of the Classic Series as a kid and wants to do a fresh new take"--ie how Star Trek has been run for the past 15 years.

I'd rather have this:

than "Geordi, he's the alien, right?"

Moffat is a terrible showrunner(based on what I've seen on Sherlock and have heard from my friends who watch Dr Who). I'd much rather have someone try something different and fail than to have him be in charge.

Or you can just get someone like McFarlane who is a fan and who seems to be nailing the tone of copying TNG with The Orville, even if I don't care for it.

also ??? to the bolded part.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Moffat is gone guys, Chibnall's show runner for Doctor Who now.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

You could write pages and pages on how poo poo Sherlock is. It just completely went right up its own rear end and is now utter garbage. Terrible, just... Awful. And it's all Moffat's fault as showrunner.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Moffat is a terrible showrunner(based on what I've seen on Sherlock and have heard from my friends who watch Dr Who). I'd much rather have someone try something different and fail than to have him be in charge.

Or you can just get someone like McFarlane who is a fan and who seems to be nailing the tone of copying TNG with The Orville, even if I don't care for it.

also ??? to the bolded part.

"As someone who hasn't watched New Doctor Who, I feel Moffat is a bad showrunner." :confused:

As to the bolded part, every time there's a new Star Trek movie, there's a lot of hay made about how the people doing it are either totally new to the franchise and weren't fans, or saw it but weren't hardcore fans (ie JJ). They speak a lot about how THIS time it's going to be different, THIS time the will change things, shake it up, and make it accessible to non fans, to capture the ST:IV lightening in a bottle they've been so desperately after for 30 years. And then there's some light stuff about how some of the writers are "real fans" and don't worry nerds, they are totally making it canon for you. Same has been true for DISCO.

Meanwhile DW has had a succession of fanboys who have been active in fandom since they were kids in the 80s running it (like Macfarlane on Orville) and they get it a lot better than anyone else. Like have you ever read the weird reboot stuff they were trying to do for Doctor Who in the 90s with Ulysses or whatever?

At least with something like BSG, they came right out and said "this is a reboot. It has nothing to do with the original canon." I enjoyed it a lot more. If you want to really shake things up and bring in new fans and people who weren't connected to the original property, do it like that. Why try to make a sequel to something but also make it your own thing that's totally different?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Guys, guys....maybe Dr Who was ALWAYS bad?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Loving Dr. Who is always a good heuristic for identifying people who will accept anything as long as it has the right sticker.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Dr Who is the single most inconsistent sci-fi show ever made. It doesn't just vary in quality year to year, but episode to episode. I like it, and watch it, but oooooooh the quality is up and down more often than the TARDIS console.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I finally was able to watch the season 2 trailer. Every time Ive been linked so far it was blocked in Canada, even on the Star Trek official youtube channel.

Anyways, looks good, they clearly took the lesson that Star Trek doesn't need to be super dark and angry. Though the trailer does show a bunch of comedic moments, I hope they don't to too far in the other direction.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Parkingtigers posted:

Dr Who is the single most inconsistent sci-fi show ever made. It doesn't just vary in quality year to year, but episode to episode. I like it, and watch it, but oooooooh the quality is up and down more often than the TARDIS console.

Yeah, I don't follow the show but I've caught a bunch of episodes over the years and it's the only series that can have me tearing up one time and have me turning off the TV in disgust the next. I guess it's a function of literally just being about a weird dude and his magic box that can go anywhere/anytime

twistedmentat posted:

I finally was able to watch the season 2 trailer. Every time Ive been linked so far it was blocked in Canada, even on the Star Trek official youtube channel.

Anyways, looks good, they clearly took the lesson that Star Trek doesn't need to be super dark and angry. Though the trailer does show a bunch of comedic moments, I hope they don't to too far in the other direction.

Does everything look better when you're in Oshawa or like

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tighclops posted:

Does everything look better when you're in Oshawa or like

I live in Toronto now. Been here like 6+ years.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Parkingtigers posted:

Heaven Sent was the best Doctor Who episode because it was just Peter Capaldi trapped alone in one location without the TARDIS or any twee aliens for 99% of the episode.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Guys, guys....maybe Dr Who was ALWAYS bad?

Excuse me, Horns of Nimon is genius, okay.

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
7 red bursts spread over 30,000 light years. Totally Borg transwarp network

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Do you think they'll get Quinto again?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Zapp Brannigan posted:

7 red bursts spread over 30,000 light years. Totally Borg transwarp network

Someone on reddit put up a plausible argument that it’s actually the Iconian Gateway network.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Nah, it will be something much dumber like a network of interdimensional black holes that link to alternate universes or a wormhole network or something.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

Nah, it will be something much dumber like a network of interdimensional black holes that link to alternate universes or a wormhole network or something.

I would rather them discover something new than gently caress up existing lore.

It's probably going to be mushrooms from fluidic space and only the spore drive can save the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Bloop posted:

I would rather them discover something new than gently caress up existing lore.

It's probably going to be mushrooms from fluidic space and only the spore drive can save the day

Agreed. The spore drive being related to fluidic space has been my theory from the time I saw the third episode. Super-advanced biotech is actually pretty rare in Trek - you've got Species 8472, Gomtuu, the Farpoint creatures, and that's about it.