Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CityMidnightJunky posted:

TOS, TNG, DS9...Honestly my biggest complaint about this show is that it should always be referred to as STD.

I thought that as well, but the DISCO workout t shirts were just too awesome not to constantly reference.

CoolCab posted:

spock also maps better to modern sensibilities - the intellectual outsider obsessed with logic is far more palatable then the sexually agressive mysogynist captian, or the kind-of-racist southern caricature

wut

https://www.cbr.com/star-trek-things-about-captain-kirk/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Why is there some thought Pike is about to be the captain of the Discovery? The teaser was they had to go to Vulcan to pick up their new captain, along the way the Enterprise is like yo we could use some assistance. Where are y'all getting that idea from?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Why is there some thought Pike is about to be the captain of the Discovery? The teaser was they had to go to Vulcan to pick up their new captain, along the way the Enterprise is like yo we could use some assistance. Where are y'all getting that idea from?

Because that's what CBS has said.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

"I'm here to take command of the Discovery." -Christopher Pike to Saru

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2coob7np2LA

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Based on the trailer it seems like they are building up (some attempt at) a big epic mystery spanning the galaxy. Right now I'm assuming that Pike was the intended new captain and they did the sneaky intervention to avoid broadcasting that where the wrong person could hear the message.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Everything is some big epic mystery! Some huge threat! Some massive cliffhanger!

How about something like... I don't know, Star Trek? Or hey, maybe try something like Better Call Saul, possibly the best show on TV. Concentrate on the characters, not the battles or mysteries. Characters will always see you through. Everyone loves TOS TNG and DS9 because of the characters. Even Troi and Dax are likable. Then you get to VOY... then ENT... then STD and oh god. The characters.

Sorry for the rant. I didn't know there was going to be a big epic mystery. I want this show to be good but with that lead character, I just... Balls.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Ehh, I have a lot of problems with Discovery but this isn't one of them for me personally. I can suspend my disbelief easily enough that the drive is unique to Discovery because it requires their engineer to interface with it, that the ethics of it are still being debated, or that they just can't crank out another one quickly enough to deal with the central crisis of season 2. And I feel like they still have time to introduce an acceptable enough reason why you don't see the drive in later shows.

Other ships don't have the spinny bit that makes the spore drive work.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

It makes sense. Discovery was diverted to Vulcan for a new Captain, presumably the Enterprise dropped Spock off there, then the Enterprise transmitted a sos to attract Discovery, and pick up the new Captain. This is not the most far fetched thing they have done.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alan_Shore posted:

Sorry for the rant. I didn't know there was going to be a big epic mystery. I want this show to be good but with that lead character, I just... Balls.
They haven’t said whether the plot stuff in that season trailer is going to be the entire season or not. I think we will get more stand-alone episodes than Season 1 had.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Thats what i get for not reading months of posts and skipping to the end of the thread.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
More from the make-up department:

quote:

"We're trying to adhere as much as we can to canon, but still evolving it and making it something for today's audience - making it smarter, cooler, and technically more impressive so it can hold up in HD. But we don't want anything that looks so different that someone goes, 'That's not what an Andorian looks like.' It's a fine line... We're obsessed with that story [Kahless the Unforgettable]. And as we unpack it, we're going to find tons of other reasons for the Klingon look. I think people are going to freak out when this unfurls in front of them"...

Going back to the original explanation for the reimagined Klingons however (that different Houses wouldn't all look the same), it perhaps makes sense that viewers will be seeing new-look Klingons in future episodes. After all, the season 1 finale saw characters Voq and L'Rell depart on a journey to unite the various Klingon factions and if season 2 continues this particular storyline, it's only natural that fans are going to see new varieties of Klingon. In his interview, Hetrick also confirmed that he has designs for over 20 Klingon houses, only six of which have appeared thus far in the show.

See, we've only seen 6 houses and all 6 were designed badly. So don't worry, the other 14 houses should be fine... Start the horror music. I've emphasized the scariest parts above.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 17, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
He knows there’s a bad definition of the phrase ‘freak out’, right?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

An Ounce of Gold posted:

"We're obsessed with that story [Kahless the Unforgettable]. And as we unpack it, we're going to find tons of other reasons for the Klingon look. I think people are going to freak out when this unfurls in front of them"

Pfffffft :jerkbag:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Maybe we'll see more traditional Klingons and they turn around and kill the new Klingons because they are unfun dorks.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yesterday's audience is dumb and uncool

Today's audience will totally freak maaan

Jesus it really is Poochie Trek

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

twistedmentat posted:

Maybe we'll see more traditional Klingons and they turn around and kill the new Klingons because they are unfun dorks.

I would legit love to see TOS Klingons.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Croatoan posted:

Ash Tyler as is loving looks like a TOS Klingon. Just give him a sash and bam.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I made this and when I showed it to Doug Jones and talked about Saru and anxiety, he kissed me on the cheek.

Doug Jones rules.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
:wtc::stare:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Geekboy posted:

I made this and when I showed it to Doug Jones and talked about Saru and anxiety, he kissed me on the cheek.

Doug Jones rules.

Everything I've ever read about people meeting Doug Jones, including friends of mine, say he's the nicest person you could ever meet.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I had heard the same, but I still wasn’t prepared for how nice he was in person.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

Yesterday's audience is dumb and uncool

Today's audience will totally freak maaan

Jesus it really is Poochie Trek

It's amazing how that episode of The Simpsons played how network executives and ceos actually are for laughs. The only thing that really hurts when I think about STD are all the wonderful, talented people at every level of the production that are beholden to the inane whims of these oblivious, talentless and greedy pricks.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Croatoan posted:

:same:

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

large quantities of lsd

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

CoolCab posted:

spock also maps better to modern sensibilities - the intellectual outsider obsessed with logic is far more palatable then the sexually agressive mysogynist captian, or the kind-of-racist southern caricature.

Lol

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Croatoan posted:

Had to go digging for this. Flashback to September 2017. During the broadcast of the Discovery pilot episode, you live-posted:

Astroman posted:

If they light that signal and a bunch of brownface smooth forehead Klingots show up in gold lame' I will never, ever complain about continuity for the rest of this season. :allears:

I agree, and I'll make the same offer for Season 2.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

sorry guys, welcome to the market

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My thought was the Klingons we see are not True Klingons, but the Hur'Q. They weren't invaders that ransacked Quo'noS, no they were a subspecies that either just straight up went to war with the mainline Klingons and were driven off world, or maybe they were slaves and revolted. That would have explained their monstrous appearance and religious zealotry that is uncharacteristic of Klingons we've seen before.

Klingons before were the embodiment of the phrase "eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die!" except Worf who over compensated for everything which turned him into a humorless nerd.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

My thought was the Klingons we see are not True Klingons, but the Hur'Q. They weren't invaders that ransacked Quo'noS, no they were a subspecies that either just straight up went to war with the mainline Klingons and were driven off world, or maybe they were slaves and revolted. That would have explained their monstrous appearance and religious zealotry that is uncharacteristic of Klingons we've seen before.

Klingons before were the embodiment of the phrase "eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die!" except Worf who over compensated for everything which turned him into a humorless nerd.

I might forgive a lot if this were the answer, but it's not like the Federation hasn't seen Klingons before the events of DISCO

Maybe they just use the word Klingons for any of several key races in the Empire, but we're getting into pretty fudgey ground at that point

Edit: and the Hurq were the only people we saw on Quonos and now you've retconned double stream Klingons

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
They're changing them because they received a lukewarm response.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Combatant posted:

But insisting (insultingly imo, but we'll have to see) that this was the plan all along and also that they're totally respecting canon continuity in a super secret way that will blow your mind

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Not only that, but with them bitching about "pure Klingons" and losing their Klingon-ness, it would be silly for Worf-ons and especially Augment Virus TOS-ons to not have appeared. Like that entire arc practically screamed that it would be about humanized Klingons vs "real" Klingons. But we saw neither hide nor hair.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Bloop posted:

But insisting (insultingly imo, but we'll have to see) that this was the plan all along and also that they're totally respecting canon continuity in a super secret way that will blow your mind

To be fair, it is actually consistent with things that they said before Season 1 even started airing.

From here:

quote:

"In the different versions of Trek, the Klingons have never been completely consistent. We will introduce several different houses with different styles. Hopefully, fans will become more invested in the characters than worried about the redesign."

From here:

quote:

"Obviously the hair was the biggest thing people noticed, or the lack thereof. And I will attest to the fact there is a reason my ridge goes back the way it does. There are sensors and pheromones…There is a whole reasoning behind it that is adhering to what has always been true in Klingon canon…So I deeply believe we are in line with what has come before but is also adding a new kind of nuance."

This lends credence to the idea that the Klingons had an evolutionary advantage on their home planet which led them to be master hunters and warriors. While in space these built-in biological sensors serve less of an advantage, in planet-side battles (or those aboard ships) these can certainly provide an edge.

Additionally, Discovery will reveal that there will be 24 Klingon houses which we explore, a high level of diversity for a race which largely looks fairly homogenous. This could also provide an explanation for the variation in the Klingons we see on screen in TOS and what we see in Discovery (although there has so far been no mention of the Augment virus addressed in Star Trek: Enterprise).

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

So people are bitching about the new Spock being a less fully-formed one, like what we saw in the Cage and kinda in the first two Kelvin movies. Would they be more comfortable if he was wearing a Cage turtleneck and in a plastic set? I think if they're gonna use the guy (which they should if they can do it right) it's more interesting to show us his earlier self than just jump into the TOS one we saw already

it does beg the question though, do they only intend on ever recasting Spock as a young dude? Is it too out of the realm of possibility we'll see someone, even Quinto, do a middle-aged or older Spock one day?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

By Season 3 we will have new Spock, Spock from the Kelvin Timeline, and a CGI Leonard Nemoy.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Peachfart posted:

By Season 3 we will have new Spock, Spock from the Kelvin Timeline, and a CGI Leonard Nemoy.

Tuvok for good measure.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lizard Combatant posted:

This is what happens when you radically change one of the most popular things in the franchise. It's like if JJ Abrams decided that Jedi actually shot people with force powered guns rather than lightsabers and Chewie is now a lizard that speaks clear english with a Gambit accent when he made TFA.

Trek right now feels like its where Video game movies are and comic movies pre-Iron Man, where the people making them are all "no one likes the old stuff, we gotta update everything for the kids! But we're totally going to tie it into the stuff that already exists to sucker in the greybeards!".

Also the continued obsession with TOS is really misplaced. I've said it many times, but people might know Kirk and Spock, but outside of Kirk likes to gently caress and Spock has pointy ears and goes "Illogical". Guys like me who grew up on TNG are way more into that whole universe as it was much more realized between TNG and DS9 and for a lesser extent Voyager. Why not build off that? I feel like maybe Paramount owns TOS stuff and TNG stuff is owned by the writers and directors and therefor they wouldn't make as much money from it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Also the continued obsession with TOS is really misplaced. I've said it many times, but people might know Kirk and Spock, but outside of Kirk likes to gently caress and Spock has pointy ears and goes "Illogical". Guys like me who grew up on TNG are way more into that whole universe as it was much more realized between TNG and DS9 and for a lesser extent Voyager. Why not build off that? I feel like maybe Paramount owns TOS stuff and TNG stuff is owned by the writers and directors and therefor they wouldn't make as much money from it.

Did you miss the Picard news?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like maybe Paramount owns TOS stuff and TNG stuff is owned by the writers and directors and therefor they wouldn't make as much money from it.

Star Trek, in its entirety, is owned by CBS Corporation; Paramount makes its movies under license from CBS.