Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Ventana posted:

On the live TV stream page? It's working fine for me on chrome

Had to download the Windows 10 app from the store to watch anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Title sequence is good.

But the theme is absolute garbage. Just a total failure of orchestration on every level. The TOS bit at the end especially is shoehorned in so poorly and unnaturally that I can't believe its being allowed on a professional broadcast.

The theme itself is just bland sonic wallpaper, evocative of nothing. It just sits there being unremarkable in any respect.

Enough with the loving ostinato triplets with half-note based melodies on top being considered enough to be a "theme" now. Changing block chords to arpeggiated eighth notes doesn't change the fact you can't seem to write anything engaging. Its not a big trick. Its lazy as poo poo.

No one working in film and television can loving orchestrate anymore. Everything is idiomatic to the piano and then just assigned to other instruments after the fact.

Counter-melodies? What are those?

Interesting rhythmic patterns in melodic material? gently caress you!

Everything is chords with melody now because that's what you do!

ComposerGuy fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 24, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I don't know, it feels pleasantly minimalist.

Then again, I drink La Croix and most my meals lately have been steamed so I'm probably a bit of an edge case

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Accretionist posted:

I don't know, it feels pleasantly minimalist.

Then again, I drink La Croix and most my meals lately have been steamed so I'm probably a bit of an edge case

Its been decided now that "prestige TV means our music needs to be as minimal and bland as possible". They all do it. I was just hoping Trek would take a cue from its own history and not follow suit.

gently caress, The Orville has a better theme (thank you Bruce Broughton)

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

ComposerGuy posted:

Its been decided now that "prestige TV means our music needs to be as minimal and bland as possible". They all do it. I was just hoping Trek would take a cue from its own history and not follow suit.

gently caress, The Orville has a better theme (thank you Bruce Broughton)

I would think the bitching music from when Cersi did Sept-in-embers 11th in Game of Thrones would prove you can get funky even in prestige TV

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
STD premieres in an hour on CBS, so I decided to watch the best episode of the best Star Trek series before this "show" does whatever it's gonna do.

Yes, I'm watching In The Pale Moonlight.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

mycomancy posted:

STD premieres in an hour on CBS, so I decided to watch the best episode of the best Star Trek series before this "show" does whatever it's gonna do.

I too am watching one of Trek's finest hours.

Masks

But seriously I legit enjoy that episode and hope Discovery gets to go to straight up gooftown for an episode occasionally.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I'm just drinking and watching

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

mycomancy posted:

Did that earlier. Same ep!

Then I watched TNGs best. The Inner Light.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

ComposerGuy posted:

Did that earlier. Same ep!

Then I watched TNGs best. The Inner Light.

I can't watch Inner Light ecause I just wind up sobbing and it wrecks my mood for the rest of the day.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Thom12255 posted:

Had to download the Windows 10 app from the store to watch anything.

Oh, I'm on Windows 8, idk if differences in windows makes a difference. Clearly this is a well thought-out service

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvDttp9O_V4

Hey, if you invert the colors on the credits it kinda looks like Star Trek...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Looks like an 18 minute delay due to football, according to a thing that just popped up over 60 minutes.

e: At least here. (Central time zone.)

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
I'm on CBS and it's some kind of political show. Am I on the wrong channel? EST here.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Crusader posted:

expectations are pretty low but will be happy if it does turn out to be something special - it's kinda crazy how long it's been since we've had new tv Trek though

I was in middle school when this came out. The local UPN was cable only so we used a directional antenna on a second floor TV to pick it up from another market.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

bob human being posted:

I'm on CBS and it's some kind of political show. Am I on the wrong channel? EST here.

That's probably 60 Minutes. You're in the right place as long as you see this logo down in the corner:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Tuned in for Trek. Ended up with Frank Luntz' fat face.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Echo Chamber posted:

A pioneer in focus groups.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Came for the Trek, got Trump-chat.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
A momentous premiere...that's been delayed...of a show with only one episode on TV...and has gotten nothing but bad press :shepface:

"Give her the ol' Vulcan Hello!"

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So, in Canada we are already watching it and it is lit as gently caress. Best trek ever. Starts off with 2 minutes hardcore lesbian orgy.

(We also got the delay for no reason)

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Echo Chamber posted:

I too think Oprah and Frank loving Luntz is a fantastic use of my time

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Star Trek Discovery was an Oprah Frank Luntz trick all along.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Oh dear

quote:

We have a moment where three of our scientists have just pulled off the most incredible thing ever. They are talking about concepts that are so above everybody else’s head, and one of them says, “This is so loving cool.” And she’s a cadet, and she’s catches herself, and she looks at her boss, because oh my God, she just dropped an F-bomb. And her boss, played by Anthony Rapp, turns to her and says, “You’re right, cadet — this is loving cool.” So in a moment like that, where I feel like we’re celebrating smarts and people who are at the top of their game. It’s rare when we’ll do it, but if we do it, we want to make it feel organic.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Thom12255 posted:

Star Trek Discovery was an Oprah Frank Luntz trick all along.

CBS All Access was just a red herring

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

This is a horrible roll-out for the show that is supposed to sell CBS' new streaming service.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I came for star trek but this oprah thing is basically winn adami on steroids so i guess I can't be too pissed

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Due to the impending out of place F Bomb please rename this thread to Star Trek Discovery: Go Vulc Yourself

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

lmao 13 minutes into when discovery was supposed to happen we get an ad for it

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The netflix is outside the US, right?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Bobulus posted:

The netflix is outside the US, right?
US and Canada apparently

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I haven't watched TV ads in years

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They're really selling the all access service here.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

It’s not you father’s loving Star Trek.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

hahaha they just keep going because who loving cares

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

GET HYPE

SIT IN YOUR FAVORITE CHAIR

WILL IT BE

OR

WE'LL KNOW AFTER THE FIRST HOUR OF NEW STAR TREK TV IN 12 YEARS! :woop:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
gently caress 60 minutes.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

2 goddamn minutes to go

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Astroman posted:

GET HYPE

SIT IN YOUR FAVORITE CHAIR

WILL IT BE

OR

WE'LL KNOW AFTER THE FIRST HOUR OF NEW STAR TREK TV IN 12 YEARS! :woop:

otoh i'm a exec at cbs and who cares, do whatever you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I am actually at work, shirking my duty to watch this on the TV in the conference room! I haven't missed a Star Trek premiere since before I was born and I'm not starting now.