Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cojawfee posted:

Don't skip season 1, there are still some good episodes in there.

Also the amazing series finale won't be quite as good if you don't watch Encounter at Farpoint, as lame as it is in a lot of ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
E: whoops had my Star trek threads mixed up

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 26, 2017

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gorn Myson posted:

You probably shouldn't post it in there either, because it was a really dumb reading.

:jerkbag:

I agree, the stuff I read in the Trek thread was really dumb.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My own personal quibbles about the uniforms aside, I think it's pretty silly that there's a massive contingent of trek fans (even here) that think that the show should be visually beholden to a 50 year old television show because of "canon," when there's plenty of dumb poo poo from TOS that's retconned or just outright ignored by later movies and series. And beyond that there's plenty of contradictory bullshit across all the movies and series anyway. People need to accept that a show made in 2018 is going to look like a show made in 2018.

I think they could do a better job of being inspired by "what would that tech look like if the creators of TOS had the technology of today to work with" but it's not like, that big of a deal.

The Klingons look like poop from a butt though and I hope that gets undone without so much a mention in season 2.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Peachfart posted:

It looked okay, but the Lenny Kravitz song was jarringly out of place.

Yeeeeeeah. I'm guessing they couldn't afford something more current what with the budget overruns that caused a bunch of people to get fired. At least I hope that's the case. I'd hate to think anyone involved in cutting that trailer actually thought it was a good choice.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I bought the entire seven seasons on Blu Ray when they went on sale for like 120 bucks at Christmas time two years ago. It's insane what they try and get away with charging people for individual seasons.

And yeah, they really hosed that up by putting the upgraded versions on Amazon pretty much on par with the Blu Ray releases, and on Netflix not too long after.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Even before the remasters hit Netflix I remember several friends saying "aw yeah starting another TNG rewatch on Netflix"

CBS should have timed it better and refused to let Netflix renew the license so that the only way to watch TNG would be to either buy the Blurays new or find a used copy of the DVDs.

I mean hell even just letting Netflix have the old untouched versions probably would have netted them some sales. I know I held off on rewatching when I knew that the Blu Rays were coming, and especially after they announced the remasters were going to be on Prime. So a little bizarre that they went ahead and just put em up on Netflix anyway.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Timby posted:

I believe CBS renegotiated its streaming deals with Amazon and Netflix to give them the HD remasters after the sales of the first three seasons on Blu-ray cratered, so they could at least make some money from the project.

They still lost a metric gently caress-ton on it, though.

It extremely sucks because we were unlikely to get DS9 Blu Rays before but it's pretty much set in stone now. You'd think they'd have learned a hard lesson about pricing their poo poo by now but...

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Timby posted:

Honestly, I don't think the pricing was the issue; a lot of TV Blu-rays had pricing in that range around that time.

The issue was that they very, very badly misjudged how much of a market there was for TV on Blu-ray (at that point, Fox had already essentially stopped releasing its shows on physical media with a few exceptions), and as a result they spent entirely too goddamn much money on manually re-editing each episode and re-compositing all the visual effects.

I really think it had something to do with it, MSRP was well above any other series and it took deep discounts to get it down in the range of comparable stuff. Most single seasons of tv for Blu Ray at that time were sitting around 30-40 bucks but MSRP for the TNG seasons on launch was 79.99. so they wanted double the asking price for most shows, and they also knew drat well there were probably a lot of people who were going to wait until they could own the entire thing anyway.

And frankly, without your bolded I don't think the Blu Rays would have even been worth it. The only reason I wanted the series in Blu Ray was because of the effort they put into remastering it. They might have done even worse had they half-assed it.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 8, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Timby posted:

Almost certainly not. Both Stewart and Kurtzman said they have no scripts, they've just thrown around some very basic story pitches. It's going to be a long while before That Picard Show enters any real form of pre-production.

Not to be overly morbid but uh, they should probably put some asses in motion on this thing and get it moving sooner rather than later.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Timby posted:

Nah, Patrick Stewart cannot die. Hell, the man was 76 / 77 when he was shooting Logan, and they actually had to use makeup to make him look older.

Like yeah this is certainly what I hope also but there's a cynical bit poking at the back of my mind. I'm sure plenty of people involved in production figured the Star Wars sequel trilogy would be finished before all the OT cast were dead.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

TNG S1 was also run by a senile paranoid narcissist drug addict whose erratic behavior and rabid personal lawyer drove off thirty-five writers in a single year.

Considering the quality of some of those episodes, it was probably a good thing that a bunch of the S1 writers never came back.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Klingon fuckin' was definitely a missed opportunity. We spent like ten years of Worf across two series talking about how Klingon females are too aggressive for human men and how Klingon mating is intense and violent etc etc and then we see it in Disco and she's just doing some basic cowgirl. Sex must be really boring in the 23/24th centuries.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Klingon nips be damned there's more skin in "Justice" than the entire season of Disco.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Astroman posted:

The Royale is great because it gives a rarely seen glimpse post TOS of the Horrors of Space--that wierd poo poo that just happens that you can't explain or prevent that ruins lives. It touched on unknown parts of our murky Future History which at the time was rarely spoken of on ST (what, more stars on the flag?! Manned missions when?!). You get this disturbing backstory of an astronaut held in captivity for decades in an alien habitat/zoo and now is a SKELETON which was a spooky visual.

Granted, I've only seen it a couple times and not probably in the last 20 years, but I always thought it was cool. Like didn't they not even meet the aliens? They just escaped and bailed? If they'd done this ep in S5 there would have been some big denouement where Picard had a viewscreen heart to heart with the Leader of the Aliens and everyone became friends and they decided to do a cultural exchange in the future. Not in TNG S2!

I'm watching it right now and this post is spot on. Early TNG is wildly inconsistent but they are more willing to have episodes where a mystery goes unsolved and the best they can do is escape or observe.

My guess is people who don't like this episode are more critical of how well this is pulled off versus the actual content of the episode.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tighclops posted:

That remark is creepy, but I like to think that just means they locked up all the business people like that 80's banker fucker they thawed out at the end of season 1

Watching that episode was infuriating because there's like a thousand people on the Enterprise and they couldn't spare one person to sit down with them and just give them a talk? Perhaps even a previously introduced 20th Century historian who happens to be an Enterprise crew member? Even in the middle of a crisis situation it's an absurd leap of logic that there wouldn't have been a better way of dealing with them and it's pretty embarrassing that it gets handled as poorly as it did.

Especially given that the premise is pretty neat and could have been a great way to do some universe building in a way that makes sense.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tighclops posted:

I think they sort of implied that Troi sat down with them, but they only showed her sort of half assedly helping that one lady google her fam

That scene implies the opposite, that it's like the first time any of the crew had any time to sit down and just talk to them about any of this poo poo.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Timby posted:

When it was announced a few months ago, Stewart and Kurtzman were both very clear that only some incredibly broad story ideas had been thrown around and that the series was likely quite a ways away (especially since Kurtzman is the sole showrunner of Disco S2 and he needs to get stuff done to meet his January 2019 airdate).

I hope that this is the reason that the rest of the TNG cast haven't been approached for the series yet. I mean it doesn't have to be TNG take 2 to work as a show but to do a show with Picard and snub the rest of the cast would be a hell of a thing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Grand Fromage posted:

I would imagine everyone except Data will have a cameo if the actors want to do it.

Oh sure it's just a little weird that they've gone on record now to state that they haven't been approached, and recent comments from some of them have even been crossing over into "throwing shade at Discovery" territory, which you know, may not be the best way to secure a job on another new Star Trek series.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I have a soft spot for Q-Squared and Vendetta for being a) massive and b) taking interesting ideas from TOS and exploring their meaning in a TNG setting. Positioning Trelane as a member of the Q and the Doomsday Machine as an anti-Borg weapon we're pretty neat ideas. There's even an audio book version of Q-Squared read by John De Lancie, though I think it turned out to be highly abridged.

The worst part about Star Trek books imo is that the writers exaggerate the characters so hard they become parody, I guess in some misguided attempt to ensure that the characters' personalities show through.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 25, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lizard Combatant posted:

Keiko is a hologram that lives in his mind.

That reminds of that (extremely good) Black Mirror segment from the last season. It was super hosed up, of course.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cojawfee posted:

The spore drive sucks because even if it is highly detrimental to whoever they put in the chamber, the federation would still have it as a nuclear option. At some point, they will need to get someone somewhere very fast for the safety of the quadrant and they would bring the spore drive out of mothballs.

Yeah but realistically, how often was poo poo at such a high stakes level throughout say, TNG? It was like, man, most of their time was spent mediating poo poo between two parties or dealing with some sentient cloud. Very few times was the episode "OMG the FATE of the GALAXY is at stake here!!!!" The Enterprise and its crew were certainly at risk a lot but TNG knew that if the stakes were always high, they never were. It was a big loving deal when the Borg showed up because existential threats to the galaxy weren't an every other week phenomena.

So yeah depending on which depiction of the Federation you're watching, it's totally believable that they didn't have a reason to bust the spore drive out if it's that detrimental.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Grand Fromage posted:

I mean, I can think of one situation where a Federation ship being able to put together a known, tested, and working device that would be able to teleport it across the galaxy instantly would've been handy.

Cursed series.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
That really drives home how important diversity in casting can be, because Avery Brooks and the DS9 writers were able to do a lot of good stuff wrt race with Sisko and it made the role/character far more memorable and special as a result. Then they went and had him abandon his family in the finale though so :shrug:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tiggum posted:

I don't read books but I heard a lot of people saying Fifty Shades of Grey was really good, so I gave it a shot and now I know I made the right choice in never reading anything.

This analogy doesn't really do anything for me because you can throw a rock in a bookstore and hit something worth reading. I can't really say the same for finding something worth watching on YouTube, 99% of it is straight garbage made by terrible people.

Although any Trek fan out there who hasn't watched the TNG edits is really missing out, so there's at least one thing on YouTube worth watching.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

site posted:

Well I don't follow discovery news religiously and I'm a woman so please don't misgender when you're trying to be cool rear end in a top hat

Informed enough to have paid ten dollars to post on something awful dot com, not informed enough to Google "star trek discovery season 3" apparently.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

site posted:

I'm sorry is reading spoilers a requirement to post in this thread. I guess that's why I've been told never to open it

"Spoilers" good lord you have brain worms.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

LividLiquid posted:

Don't listen to the person being an rear end in a top hat.

site posted:

WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT FINALE?? oh we're just gonna jettison the black woman protag and the gay couple that we've been parading around for two years because we're so progressive no biggie, here's captain pike

I don't think I'm the one being an rear end in a top hat.

e: Like what the gently caress season 3 spoilers would even meaningfully exist for a show that just had its season 2 finale yesterday, I didn't really intend for my response to come off as mean spirited but yeesh.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 20, 2019

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

LividLiquid posted:

Who exactly were they being an rear end in a top hat to?

People with brains, maybe?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

twistedmentat posted:

Maybe we'll see other antagonistic aliens in the next season if its the future. Though I'd hate to see Disco's version of Cardassians.

They would just be the snake people from Dark Souls and they'd own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If they're gonna do like twenty different Star Trek shows it seems like a no-brainer to just go nuts and give people a little bit of everything. I'm all for it.