Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

We've gone over it in the other Trek thread, but it's worth pointing out here that the first two eps are getting rave reviews on Twitter based on a premiere event they did.

https://twitter.com/NanaVisitor/status/910498480459702277

https://twitter.com/jonathansfrakes/status/910720788797329409

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Karpaw posted:

That was captivating like this show rarely is, largely because for once it wasn't paced for people with ADD and the guy playing Spock has more gravitas than Quinto ever did. The S31 stuff is still dumb though - the genocidal maniac from a parallell universe with no loyalty to the Federation is openly undermining our objectives for personal gain, maybe it was a mistake to recruit her and the Klingon sleeper agent?

"I never thought the leopard would eat my face!" sobs man who invited face-eating leopard into his organization.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

"But Spock never mentions her in TOS!" cry the same people who didn't care that there wasn't an NX-01 model on the wall in the D's conference room.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Hell, we knew that even before the first episode aired.

I'm not sure why people were assuming that the horrible thing Michael did to Spock wasn't exactly what we saw on screen? I thought it was very clear from when she was talking to Amanda that she had said some pretty awful things to him to get him to stop following her. What did you people think she did, beat him or something?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

No, I was pretty sure this is what it was, and others were too.

The 'reveal' would have been just fine on it's own, but the fact that they built it up and built it up all season really emphasized how it was a dumb little nothing. She has to stop and really consider whether reliving this memory was worth it to save Spock's life. The entire season she's been reluctant to help her brother who's been framed for murder because of this grand betrayal. Oh no, you got into a fight and said hurtful things with your little brother when you were 12, never before in existence has anyone ever experienced such suffering! What made it even more confusing is a few episodes ago Michael hints that something may have happened to her mom, who reacts like she'd never heard of it before now, and gets pissy and offended and storms off. What? Mom tells Michael to gently caress off and to stop looking for Spock over this?

This is what I don't get, because they didn't? Like I said, I got the impression it was exactly what it was from jump; some really hateful words to a vulnerable and sensitive kid that were really wounding. I never thought the show was portraying it as more than that and am a bit confused why people did. As for Amanda's reaction, like, how would you feel if you were a mixed-race couple and found out your adopted white daughter called your son the n-word in an argument as a kid?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

We're getting the scant back!!!

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a26821590/star-trek-discovery-unisex-skant-dress-returning

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Episode was kind of hit or miss for me and we're definitely into the episodes that began production after they realized the first part of the season went wildly over budget, but Spock's "well yeah, Michael strapping on a time suit and flying off to try and right all of history's wrongs by herself without telling anyone is totally a thing she would do and we all know it" was pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Kind of surprised nobody's posted this yet, but they really did build a hallway set on a rig and spun it around, Inception-style, to film that fight scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv2VLkGpXdM