Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
So is the Discovery still bronze, or did they get rid of that? Hard to tell in the newer promos.

The Bloop posted:

I really, really don't think the fanbase's problem with the prequel trilogy was "too much politics"

People constantly mock it for being about space politics and trade disputes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

skasion posted:

Bryan Fuller is an idiot and thinks it is interesting

Didn't he want her to just be called "Number One", like in the original ST pilot?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Did they ever do anything with the 2 different crews being in conflict with each other?

Yes, but it became the basis for a few episodes rather than for the whole series. That was enough for me, personally.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Gonz posted:

I hope they show Stovokor and it looks like a Cannibal Corpse music video directed by Trent Reznor.

Gre'thor is better.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

I don't really get the extreme focus on adherence to canon/continuity by so many fans of this franchise. If it helps you enjoy the series, or it helps the writers write it, then its all good. If not, throw it out the drat airlock. Why keep it around just to get in the way?

I've never heard of comic readers getting mad that Batman's costume and physical dimensions change constantly depending on who draws him, like its ruining their immersion. That sort of thing is just accepted in other franchises (another obvious example is James Bond). Yet for this series the same sort of criticisms are endless. Why?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Lmao are you kidding? Comic book fans bitch non-stop about costume changes. And I think they should, lots of the movie re-designs are stupid for the sake of being different. Apocalypse looked awful in the x-men movie.

I wasn't talking about comic costume changes in general, I was talking about costume changes (specifically inevitable differences from different artists etc.) violating canon/continuity.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Pastamania posted:

That the words 'Jeffery Combs' aren't normally proceeded with the words 'Hollywood Megastar' is a goddamn crime.

There's a wider point though, I literally can't imagine some of the more fun characters like Shran, Rom, Q, or Mudd existing in this universe. (I know, Mudd is in Discovery, but from what we've seen in the trailers it's a far more sinister madman-type character than the campish conman in TOS). This show is just really really dark, both visually and tonally. Every character who advocates an attempt at diplomacy ends up loving dead. The first officer knocks out the Captain who overrules her, only for her to come back with a gun. The science officer recommends someone suicide-runs a shuttle craft into the Klingon ship, and the captain decides to mine a loving corpse instead. That's a war crime, btw. That's a literal war crime, today, right now, in 2017. That's not an optimistic future - that's not even an optimistic present.

If this team were doing the old shows, Shran would be murdering prisoners, Rom would have escaped arrest for people smuggling because Odo half beat him to death in his cell and Farpoint would have ended with Q tricking the enterprise into murdering the Jellyfish for fun. You can do gritty space drama - BSG did it really well for 3 seasons before it disappeared up it's own arse, and I really like what I've seen so far of the Expanse - but....can't we have our fun camp sci-fi adventure show again? Surely there's a gap in the market for just one show that's not just angry space-arseholes in space?

There's room within a series, and even within a single episode, for both camp and grimness. In the Pale Moonlight is both very dark and still very campy, for example. Discovery hasn't done that yet (I found some parts cringey, but not campy in the same way) but that doesn't mean it can't.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Kinda funny that one of the most common complaints about Voyager was that the Maquis and Starfleet crews started getting along too quickly, but after one episode of a crew and main character who don't get along some people (the same people?) are already tired of it.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

MikeJF posted:

The Marquis were rebels who were forced into integrating with a Starfleet crew for survival. These people are ostensibly professionals.

In this show the tension came from integrating a science-trained crew with a war-focused captain, and forcing them to work with a disgraced mutineer. Nobody was being an rear end in a top hat just for the sake of it. Anyway, there are two separate questions in both cases, a) does it make sense with the premise and b) would it be fun or interesting to watch.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Barclay was way more socially retarded than Tilly has been, so far. Many people are awkward around new roommates and/or famous criminals without it being a disorder.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I want to know the conversation in the writers room that led to Burnham just suddenly reciting Alice in Wonderland.

Did they consider itsy bitsy spider maybe and having Burnham flushing the monster out of the jeffries tubes to escape? I'm like 90% sure they did.

I read elsewhere that the monster was probably a tardigrade enlarged by the experiments, which would make the passages about Alice growing and shrinking more relevant.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Atreiden posted:

Federation penal colonies are mentioned in DS9 and Voyager has Paris in one of them. I'll grand you, I found it odd in both series. But DS9 also shows two fairly stark federation prison space stations.

I always got the impression that the one Paris was in was restrictive but not particularly brutal. Like you could essentially live a normal, boring life inside a big resort area.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Did they send a second boarding party to capture the thing?

He says the security officer transported it.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Leathal posted:

So uh this show is being really loving heavy handed with the blatant "Modern Prestige Show" style of foreshadowing.

Totally agree with whoever posted up-thread that it feels like they're setting up a season long Year of Hell style arc with an ending that somehow incorporates another Michael-mutiny and a timeline reset that prevents the Klingon war from starting.

I don't see why there would have to be a timeline reset. Rather, I predict the war will end once Starfleet realizes any diplomacy with the Klingons needs to be based in their concept of honor and not in so-very-human platitudes like "we come in peace". They will come to the same place that Sarek said Vulcans and Klingons came to, just with many more lives lost.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Why do people even give a gently caress about the shuttle pilot? You don't see what happens to her because it doesn't matter.

Because people are stuck on the idea that finding ways in which this version of Starfleet is not perfectly moral means the show is bad, despite the fact that Starfleet has never been perfectly moral.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 3, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Goons are bad at watching tv shows and often get hung up on completely irrelevant details/things that are plainly explained within the show. See; real/fake salt on Michael's car, "Did Kenneth make a racist joke?", RICIN, "Bobby is too feminine!", etc.

People who watch shows constantly trying to outsmart what they're watching are the equivalent of people who argue "If we evolved from monkeys, then why are there still monkeys?" :smuggo:

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Leathal posted:

Putting this in spoilers but it's just my dumb late night speculation:

The crew of the Discovery were introduced for the first time this episode and so far they're ALL either blatantly evil (with literal "Evil Guy" music stings) or else unlikeable assholes (except for the roommate girl). Add in the multiple references that Discovery would be doing typical Trek exploration/sciencey poo poo if not for the war started by the main character of the show and I feel pretty confident we'll see something like the following:

* Mutiny against Lorcas filling the requisite HBO-show character development beats
* Timeline reset that erases the Klingon war and completes Michael's Amazing Redemption Story
* Leading into season 2 Discovery is back to science stuff, crew either gone or changed somehow by timeline reset to not be evil assholes
* Michael now Capt of Discovery (bit of a reach this early in the show, but she's the main character and Lorcas is obv the Big Bad of this season and they ain't making scared alien dude Captain for season 2)

Speculation isn't spoilers.

They're not all evil or assholes, they're all tense because its a war and we're seeing mostly negative sides of them because our POV character is someone of ill repute. Lorca will probably turn out to fill the villain role, yeah, but so far he is just making the same tough moral decisions that every previous Trek captain faced. We know he's up to something shady, obviously, but so was Sisko during In the Pale Moonlight, or Archer when he stranded an innocent ship so his could continue to fight the Xindi.

Characters keep mentioning that Starfleet is supposed to be about science and not war because the show is acknowledging that the darker tone so far is not what we expect from a Trek show. The writers are telling us that they know that, the characters know that, and its part of the story. That doesn't have to mean a time travel reset, though. With Year of Hell they hit the rest button because otherwise coming back from that level of loss and destruction was too much for a less-serialized show like Voyager to handle, even with their usual propensity for hand-waving that sort of thing. This time the point appears to be to show how Starfleet went through rough periods and survived to grow into the relatively utopian society seen in other Trek series.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Is DS9 like most trek in that it was lovely for a season or two? Cause I watched a few eps of the first season and boy was it boring.

I don't mind the start but it becomes a whole different sort of show later on.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Butternubs posted:

Only thing i have a problem with is that Micheal is a bit of a mary-sue, she doesn't have to be the best at everything! star trek shouldn't really even have a "main" character imo.

A Mary-Sue is a character without flaws. We're told she's smart and she seems competent at some things but the first three episodes have put the focus squarely on her flaws. It's like she was raised to be a Mary-Sue but that left her emotionally retarded.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 7, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Until now, it appeared like Saru did not know what they were actually doing on the ship.

I've seen people saying this but when I re-watched episode 3 they discussed it all right in front of him. The only thing he was momentarily in the dark about was Burnham staying on the ship.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Superstring posted:

If these spores are everywhere, the galaxy should be a 'shroom infested hellscape.

So the ethical conflict should be over now, right? They've been making small jumps just fine so far and the scientist was saying they need a super computer to go any further. The tardigrade was just holding a bunch of coordinates in its head so they should just be able to pop into the next starbase over and pick up some more RAM or something, right?

I think the idea is that the spores have permeated sub-space.

The tardigrade's brain (communicating with the spore network?) took the place of what they wrongly assumed was a supercomputer on the Glenn.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

One last question: What the heck does the episode's title mean? "The Butcher's Knife Cares Not For The Lamb's Cry". What exactly are the knife and the lamb here? :confused:

To the meat industry livestock is a means to an end, just like the tardigrade.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

The ganglia works the same was as "Spidey-Senses".

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Literal danger sense like spider-man is dumber than empaths, yes. In the Trek world anyhow. That's force-level poo poo.

Kes' magic powers weren't any more scientific.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah, as long as Burnham's assumptions are right and as long as nothing goes wrong, nobody gets hurt. As anyone with even a little experience working around safety hazards can tell you, "as long as nothing goes wrong," means your plan is unsafe. A responsible person working in a lab with a dangerous specimen would never turn off the safeties. Burnham is still reckless and arrogant.

She doesn't turn off the safeties while he is there.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh it looked like the force field was turned off to me.

Wait, so why would Saru be scared then?

The field was only visible when it was being touched or interacted with.

His species evolved to sense predators hunting them. Her point was that the tardigrade is not a predator and is not hostile by nature.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

I always hated this and was glad that DS9 mostly got rid of telepathic nonsense, as far as I remember.

They had the wormhole aliens, who seemed somewhat telepathic, and their magic orbs.

Tom Guycot posted:

Which would be fine if the engineer hadn't specifically said he just needed a supercomputer to process the required data.

He assumed the other ship was using some sort of supercomputer. They were not. The tardigrade apparently evolved in tandem with the subspace fungal web, making it uniquely suited to the job.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 13, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I didn't get where the water bear came from originally. Did they catch that thing with a dart gun on a planet or did it just appear one day while they were playing around with the mold?

It stowed away when they were harvesting spores.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

A stupid movie like Interstellar got away with basically the same concept and gets described as "hard sci fi". I didn't like the prophets but I liked some of the silliness around them, and Kai Wynn.

The idea of "hard sci-fi" is always somewhat arbitrary. But my point was every Trek series has included both magic and silly science.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Anyone have the preview for next week? One that works in Canada, please.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Drink-Mix Man posted:

She's an idiot because she gave an old friend and lover the benefit of the doubt?

Not to mention the final straw for her doubts about him happened after she slept with him.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

It's more hosed up that the writers don't seem to understand or acknowledge how hosed up it is. Lorca is clearly damaged and not fit for command and Admiral Cornwell is in a weird position given how and why she knows that, but that's not even like a five second plot point.

How would you expect it to be acknowledged? It seemed pretty clear to me how hosed up all of it was, didn't need to be directly shown or said any more than it was.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

I mean that it's hosed up for Cornwell to be screwing with Lorca's career while being involved in a decidedly non-professional relationship with him. It's weird for your boss to fire you based on something that happened in a relationship outside of work even if she's totally justified in doing so. Even two seconds of dialogue from her or Lorca about the conflict of interest would have been something.

Yeah but we already know its hosed up, we don't need exposition telling us that. And maybe it would make sense for Lorca to protest on those grounds, but he already has a more aggressive plan to make it go away.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Riptor posted:

I just wish there was like one Bolian in the background somewhere on this show

Supposedly this dude is from a related species:

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Did he fall asleep on his keyboard?

That's the plot of the next tie-in novel.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The ending was just a weird bit of mood whiplash. I mean this rear end in a top hat has killed them dozens, if not hundreds of times, sometimes in incredibly brutal ways, and then... "well here's your fiancee, take your knowledge of the spore drive and leave, don't cause trouble or nothing... please?"

That felt very TOS, to me.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

shadok posted:

Because Mudd isn’t in Starfleet, Starfleet isn’t law enforcement, and Starfleet doesn’t have prisons.

The Federation has prisons. Burnham was sentenced to life in prison.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Pops Mgee posted:

What was wrong with the party? It made starfleet officers feel like actual human beings for once. Would you have preferred everyone sit around while Saru performed a violin recital for the crew?

What this show really needs is a Neelix.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Some people seem to be missing the implication that Stamets and Mudd both went through the loop more times than we saw on screen.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

So then why are people complaining that Stamets didn't try certain obvious solutions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

This episode did add some more ammo to the 'Tyler is Voq' theory, as L'Rell doesn't really say much about what happened to him, and we have not seen him on screen since the episode before Tyler showed up. Although, if this is the case, I don't get why L'Rell would need to get to Discovery or why Tyler/Voq isn't actively trying to sabotage the ship. Considering all that went on last week, where Tyler was working to stop Mudd from selling the ship to the Klingons, it would be especially dumb for them to turn around and say that Tyler is Voq, but it feels like that's where it's heading unless it's a giant red herring somehow.

If he is Voq, it kinda makes sense because Voq wouldn't really want the Klingons to win the war if its means his enemies within them get the credit and power. Voq wants to win the war and win power over the other Klingons, simultaneously.