Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I wonder what the Terran Starfleet Academy is like.

Every squad is RED SQUAD.

Ender's Game. Just beating each other silly in the showers all day every day so the most violent cream can rise to the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I guess some of these beings don't see others as equals. Kind of necessary, I guess, to be able to sleep at night. Still super gross.

Maybe that's part of the reason Riker said the Federation mostly don't eat animal flesh anymore. (Except at the Sisko animal flesh emporium.) After a while it probably gets hard to find the line between sapient people and non-sentient animals. We've seen them mistake living things for inanimate things, they have a lot of trouble with anything that isn't a humanoid biped, so it is certain at some point they mistook primitive or hippie people for animals and ate one before they realized their mistake. After that sort of thing, people are going to go home and decide maybe eating pigs and cows isn't so great and they want to keep a wider separation between edible and non-edible creatures, especially when replicated fake meat becomes widely available. (We do at various points see them eat non-replicated shellfish, caviar, and klingon worms, but those are all things pretty far from being sentient, much less sapient, as far as we can tell.)

Mirror humans went the other way. gently caress it, only humans are people! If it isn't human, you can own it, kill it, eat it, whatever you want. Makes exploring strange new worlds a lot less ethically challenging.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

And More posted:

And very, very delicious.

Hell yeah.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The_Doctor posted:

I assumed places like Sisko’s uses replicated meat, shrimp, etc, but the attraction is in it actually being cooked fresh and with skill.

Nog eats there because it's the only place on earth he can get live tube grubs, so we have evidence the elder Sisko isn't squeamish about live animals. And the preparation involves shucking clams and peeling potatoes, which wouldn't be necessary with replicated ingredients.

Even when Riker is saying humans don't exploit animals that way anymore he's not horrified at the idea, just smug about how superior the federation is. I imagine there is still a little demand for ethically raised food animals on Earth, if only as an occasional novelty. A cottage industry of authentic primitive food fits in with what we've seen of mainstream life on earth. Federation civilians are bourgie as gently caress.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Astroman posted:

A one world government, the Empire, is formed. There was an Empire that landed on the moon, but they had at least one rival that fought them in a devastating war in Cochrane's era, but by Archer's time they were the only game in town.

Wouldn't even need a strong rival, they could have had a civil war or succession dispute that got way out of hand. In their current system shanking your boss is a legitimate method of securing a promotion, but if you try and fail then you get a prolonged horrible death. So if you're on the losing side of a civil war, there's no reason why you wouldn't nuke half the planet. Destroying civilization so nobody gets to be emperor could be a better outcome for you and your family than surrendering.

The current conflict could easily erupt into prolonged civil war if neither Georgiou nor Lorca win decisively. For example if the palace ship is destroyed, but both of them escape and regroup on lesser ships.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Enterprise was definitely inspired by 9/11. Season 3 was basically bombing space Afghanistan

I'm not sure it's even possible to pin down a start point for the Mirror Universe considering the entire concept falls apart under even a hint of scrutiny. Somehow, in a universe with constant war and assassinations, the same people are always born and grow to adulthood in both universes.

Mirror universes don't exist. The whole thing is a joke generated by bored Q. They just spin up a pocket universe and send a ship there whenever they want.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Maybe there is some kind of space wizard playing inter-dimensional bonsai with the multiverse. If someone or something is destroyed in one universe, it is pruned in the other universe as well to maintain balance. Not instantly because a universe is a big place, but if your double dies you are doomed.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Atreiden posted:

Man that was a great episode. I'm sad to see Lorca go, but it was a fitting ending.

If he's dead at all, and hasn't simply become a spore ghost or something. Being at the center of the rapidly regenerating spore network could have had a Search For Spock type effect.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

gizmojumpjet posted:

What if Lorca got merged with the tardigrade and comes back as some sort of unkillable Lorcagrade?

What then?

Shroom time fuckery: Lorca was always the tardigrade. :shroom:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

She's 100% not getting tossed back in space prison, and somehow the Fake Klingon Trojan Doppleganger Man is going to stay a senior Starfleet Officer.

At least in the near term I guess they have the immediacy of losing their balls to the Klingons to keep an experienced and resourceful former officer in the loop. Of course that same reason is why they should at best keep Tyler confined to quarters until they can drop him off at some Starbase to live the rest of his life as a medical curiosity, but they're not gonna.

Yeah, they've lost a ton of experienced officers in the last 2 years. It isn't that much of a stretch that they would keep her on for the length of the emergency if there is a captain willing to have her. She did have an exemplary record, except for that one act of mutiny.

I mean, Cadet Tilly is a full member of the crew despite being a bloody cadet. After the battle of binary stars they were so stretched for manpower they were using cadets to fill vacant positions. They can't have much barrel left to scrape.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ms Adequate posted:

* Was it just me or did L'rell's explanation of what they did make no actual sense? I couldn't even tell if she was saying they physically modified Voq into Ash or they just stuffed his psyche in or what?

That whole thing is all over the place. According to the doctor Tyler had extensive surgery/torture that included scaring around his internal organs and changing the length of his bones. They have tests to detect brainwashing that Tyler passed, but the Doctor says it might not detect a Tyler overlay over an intact psyche. That makes it sound like Voq had gene therapy, surgery, and a personality overlay to make him appear human to routine testing. The original Tyler was just the source of donor tissue.

But then lightning fingers make it look like Tyler was the real Tyler, and just had a psyche implant. But then why talk about DNA and break his bones?

Either way, the whole experiment was a failure. Voq wasn't able to remain conscious and in control to pursue his goals while also maintaining his cover. He was either 99% Tyler and occasionally incapacitated by klingon thoughts, or he was 99% Voq and violently attacking people while shouting in klingon.

Maybe that's why the klingons never bother trying it again, despite having medical technology centuries ahead of everyone else in the alpha quadrant. By TNG when Worf loses a fight with a shipping container and breaks his spine, klingon medicine isn't nearly this advanced and their general MO is to just let people recover on their own or die. :shrug:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Apparently Mirror Lorca was something created under the new showrunners. Fuller just wanted him to be an amoral warhawk captain.

That explains the dumb "everyone in the mirror universe has light sensitivity" thing. Originally it was just an injury a PTSD riddled captain refused to have fixed, but then when they decided he was really mirror Lorca the hastily retconed it to be something all the mirror humans have.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Binary Logic posted:

It is odd that Tilly is still a cadet. Don't they have some kind of field promotion...although at the rate Discovery goes through captains there hasn't been much opportunity for that.

Did they ever explain why a cadet was on board at all? It could have been filling seats during a crisis, or it could have been some kind of educational internship program. After your third year you go spend 4 months on a real starship, then go back to earth for your final year of classes. Whatever the reason, they may have been planning to send the cadets back to the academy and having the formally graduate in front of their parents and friends. Promoting them would undercut that.

Cadets also have a different relationship with the noncoms, if this ship has any noncoms. In the event of catastrophe it would be better to have a Chief O'Brian type in charge rather than an inexperienced kid right out of the academy. Making her an Ensign dramatically increases her culpability when things go wrong.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MikeJF posted:

She was placed there unusually because she had an expertise the Spore project.

Buuuut hoooow? How does a cadet have a better understanding than fully qualified science officer could gain from a couple days of brushing up on the subject?

No, I think the problem was tetchy Stamets. He was just so tetchy. He's a spore genius so he had to lead the project despite his undesirable command style, but only people who would put up with his bullshit could work under him. They had to find a team of people smart and educated properly to be useful, but also meek enough to put up with Lt. Crankypants.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tei posted:

Bad episode, taking over the empire is so easy that it must happen every monday.

I imagine that is why the imperial palace and seat of government is the most powerful ship in the fleet, rather than a stationary building on some planet. No one gets within a thousand kilometers of the emperor without her permission.

Unfortunately she had a bunch of traitors brought to her ship so she could keep them in her personal agonizer department. If she'd just killed them Lorca couldn't have taken over her ship.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cingulate posted:

I forgot, is Saru captain now?

If yes, good. Not quite Captain Killy, but still good.

Acting captain, until they get into contact with Starfleet command.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SpeakSlow posted:

Ok, so "different quantum signature" for PU vs MU. Transporters break-down a person and re-construct them. So why didn't the transporter computer note the difference as Lorca was passing through the pattern buffer?

Still love the show, the ships and the characters, though.

The transporters would be able to detect it, but is there any reason why they would be looking for it or have an alarm set up to alert the crew?

Then there is the old problem of how do transporters work, really? There is no reason for the transporters to have the ability to synthesize an unfamiliar universal quantum signature. So if the beam just beams the pattern and not the actual atoms, once you go through the transporters hand have your body reconstructed from local atoms, you might have the local quantum signature. Meanwhile your foreign atoms are left wherever you beamed from.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

McSpanky posted:

Even worse, the whole multiverse. It's completely absurd and probably symptomatic of someone going "people don't think our awesome space mushroom idea is important and relevant, WE'LL SEE ABOUT THAT"

All life everywhere forever, yet somehow the crew of an alternate universe Discovery were the only ones who could do anything about it. None of the dozens of godlike entities or future time travelling civilizations floating around out there could be bothered to blow up that ship, not even to save their own favorite corner of space time.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

In general, a lot of schlocky genre media needs to learn that sometimes you can set the stakes some quanta lower than THE SURVIVAL OF THE UNIVERSE or THE FATE OF THE EARTH or whatever, and if you make us care about the characters we're even more invested.

Agreed. The stakes being just a ship or just a planet is fine. In terms of dramatic tension, the entire universe in danger is only slightly greater than a few million in danger. And possibly less than like 5 people being in danger.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Arglebargle III posted:

It's Feb 1 dudes

Happy February everybody! Woo! We made it!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I love the way Saru waves his arms when he walks. Looks like he is part jelly fish or something. Never noticed it before this episode.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Everything involving Ash Tyler today would have made a lot more sense if they actually made him a human sleeper agent with Voq's katra instead of the other way around. Seems kind of funny that everyone gave mutineer Michael so much poo poo (including a mess hall brawl), yet everyone's just like "Oh, hey, literal Klingon dude who murdered our crewmate? Water under the bridge."

Mike was fresh off a prison ship. They knew Tyler, liked him before he went crazy. It's easier to have empathy for people you know.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Maybe, but I found it kind of unbelievable that there wouldn't be some trust issues considering he literally still is the "other" in disguise, and that Ash Tyler himself has been exposed to be not just a brainwashed man, but a phony personality from the get-go.

But on the other hand I guess it's pretty Roddenberry that they do choose to forgive and accept and the show could use more of that so I dunno. I guess I would have liked to see more debate over whether "Ash" is really Ash which would seem like a pertinent question people would be asking.

Angry Salami made a good point that most people probably don't know he is a former/secret klingon. Command and the medical team do, but if they officially decide not to share that info they probably won't gossip about it either. Since they are letting him walk around the ship rather than keeping him in the brig, they probably aren't telling everyone he's a klingon.

There's potentially a couple good reasons doing for that.
  • 1. Imagine the morale consequences of "every human you meet might be a secret klingon and you have no way to tell." Even standard medical scans didn't reveal it.

• 2. His modified klingon brain apparently contains a complete copy of the real Ash Tyler's mind. Likely the only copy of that mind alive. If he has a perfect copy of Tyler's mind, Tyler's memories, Tyler's appearance, and Tyler's DNA, in what way is he not Tyler? Everyone in Starfleet has been through a transporter and so is a copy of their original body, and they'd rather not think about the implications of that.

So, yeah, they probably decided not to spread around his exact condition, and let everyone believe he's the survivor of torture and brainwashing rather than some half klingon abomination.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Didn't star trek eventually settle on Vulcans having emotions? In fact, really strong emotions. They spend years training to control and suppress those emotions, because if they don't they are savage like a methed up klingon.

So Spock wasn't inherently more emotional than other Vulcans because he was half-human, he just felt bad about his emotions because he wrongly blamed his human half for them. (Probably from smug vulcans rolling their eyes whenever he did something 'human' as a kid).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

skasion posted:

It “settled” on it from the fourth episode of Star Trek ever aired. Spock talks of how his mother and he had to deal with living on a planet where “love, emotion, is bad taste”. It’s a constant feature of his character that he wrestles with his emotions and blames it on his human blood in a good-natured, self-deprecating joke.

Oh good, it all blends together for me.

I bet Savek is a total drama queen, and that's why he likes hanging out with humans. Among other vulcans letting out that smug grin would be a rude and overly dramatic, but humans don't know any better.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cingulate posted:

The problem is that int he fight against their emotions, Vulcans are constantly losing. They're almost always more petty than humans, and not in a way that benefits them. Quite the opposite.

Yeah? I mean, isn't that what a human psychologist would expect from people who try to suppress their emotions rather than dealing with them? Vulcans are trying to perfect an inherently dysfunctional coping strategy.

Their cousins the Romulans don't try to suppress their emotions, and seem to have a lot less trouble with them.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It makes no drat sense. But on the other hand you can troll superfans by claiming that Worf is actually the second klingon in starfleet since Voq was an active duty commisioned officer.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yeah, now that you mention it, it's pretty easy to imagine Michael nobly sacrificing herself to stop the war or something being the writer's big idea for bringing things full circle.

I'm not knocking it necessarily, it could make for an interesting shakeup for the start of the next season.

With the war ended, Tilly and Stamets can go on cool science adventures with Captain Saru. :neckbeard:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ijii posted:

So did they make Georgiou captain because she held up her end of the bargain? or because she has yet to tell specific details on how to defeat Klingons after blowing up Qo'Nos and won't do so unless certain conditions are met such as leading Discovery with their plan? Either way, seeing her walk out as captain was a very hurrrrrrr moment, because what could go wrong with this idea :downs:.

Best scene for me was when Tilly and Michael discussing morality in the engine shroom.

Also why is everybody mad that Sarek seems to be out of character when he decides that ~violence~ is the only way to defeat Klingons? I never watched the TOS, but in other treks Vulcans do defend themselves... Going along with the plan of blowing up Qo'Nos seems like the logical thing to do when the only thing the Klingons understand is violence.

Mirror Georgiou won't hesitate to commit genocide. And afterwards she can be the scapegoat that lets the federation live with itself.

The admerial could command personally, but she might flinch at a crucial moment. Especially since she's all PTSD'd and crazy now.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ashpanash posted:

In...fairness? I guess? Everything that's happened to them and the crew of the Discovery is loving bonkers, even by the standards of most of Trek.

Oh absolutely. But still, a bunch of people should be on medical leave and instead are having to make decisions affecting the lives of billions. They aren't at their best.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FlamingLiberal posted:

The problem is, he seems to be in agreement with a genocidal maniac about how to deal with the Klingons. That's concerning. It's also likely, since making Emperor Georgiou into the Captain without telling Michael, that Sarek is withholding other information.

Phantom Sarak did tell her that klingons only respect force. That's how Mike ended up committing mutiny in the first place.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The engine shroom reminded me that there must also me a normal engine room with the warp drive and stuff, and an engineering team keeping it all going because a mycologist really isn't qualified nor interested in warp field optimisation. There's a Scotty down there doing a hell of a job and getting no appreciation at all. :(

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cythereal posted:

Granted, hearing that one of the two gay guys on the ship died in a later episode didn't help. Yay, an actual on-screen gay romance in Star Trek! Whoops, gay couple on television, should have loving known.

Do any star trek romances end well though? Worf marries Jadzia and she dies. Sisko is told marrying that lady will lead to nothing but suffering, and that's after his many flashbacks to his first wife's horrible death. Various one-episode romances end poorly. You shouldn't expect a gay romance to end badly because they are gay, but because nearly all the romances end badly.

Most tragic case: O'brien and Keiko stay together forever. :negative:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Micheal falls for Tyler, whoops he's a secret klingon, in fact he's the particular klingon that killed your previous captain.

Admiral sleeps with Lorca, whoops Lorca is a mirror universe psychopath who is happy to see her dead.

At least Stamets gets to keep the untarnished memory of a loving relationship.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

marktheando posted:

Yeah Federation membership requirements must be pretty loose. If there’s a federation equivalent of the Universal Declaration of Human rights it obviously allows Vulcans to practice fights to the death over arranged marriages so...

They probably have a waiver for entirely internal matters, especially on homeworlds. Hell, duels might not be universally against the law at all. Two adults choosing to have a fight to the death without endangering others could be a matter of local regulations, not federation law.

Like you don't call the FBI if the neighbour's dog poops on your lawn. Yeah, nearly everyone agrees that is gross and shouldn't happen, but it isn't the FBI's business to deal with it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The_Doctor posted:

The room with all the spore drive stuff is Main Engineering, apparently. The warp drive is just kinda tucked away at one end of it with maybe just one or two people ever looking at it. It's the red bit in this photo.

Yes, this is all very dumb.

Huh. I wonder what Stamets does when an underling tells him the warp engines are unstable or the dilithium matrix is :techno:. Warp mechanics are a really specialized field of study, and not something mycologists usually handle. I guess he just shrugs and tells the warp guy to fix it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hipster_Doofus posted:

At least STD's engine room is better than Orville's (talk about low bars).

I love that Orville has conduits that are only accessible to one particular crewman. Does every ship need to have it's own jelly alien to maintain the conduits? What happens if he dies? Can he die?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

xerxus posted:

Its not like Voq has done anything in the current version. He would have been revealed to the audience as a Klingon, but remained hidden to the crew. His goal at the time aligned with Discovery in getting back home.

Except that time he spazzed out at his alternate self for being a bad klingon.

Voq is a loser. Even for a klingon he's not a stable guy. He was 'leader' of the ship of the dead for a few months, during which time his followers starved, and they all swore allegiance to a new guy the first chance they got. You have to be real bad to lose control of a fanatical religious cult over a little starvation.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tighclops posted:

STD came up with the guys at work and so I now put this question to you all:

Does this show make you want to be an astronaut?

No, those techno astronaut parties are way too wild for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMP5OKXrwCQ

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 8, 2018

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

At this point it almost seems like we're not watching the show, we're watching the half-assed prequel to the show. And the first two episodes were the prequel to the prequel. Establishing the backstory so they can have rich characters when the show starts, but then they decided to film the backstory for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Bloop posted:

Her? Oh she's from planet Metallo and they just look like that. Like the Kelpians, the fact they just never show up later on is merely a coincidence.

Either way,
CONTINUTY

The eyes look pretty organic. I think she's a normal human with a horrible skin condition. Maybe she survived an industrial accident or something.

Possibly an alien who finds the atmosphere on-board a little irritating or way too dry or something. If there were an amphibious species with salamander skin they would have to wear a protective suit like that to stay hydrated without dripping everywhere. The artificial face plates are just because a rubber gimp suit is a little off putting.

Definitely not a sapient android because the federation still doesn't have those a hundred years later.