Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Just watched episode 3 and I'm more interested in the giant water bear than anything else. The microscopic world is so alien and creepy, filled with straight up lovecraftian horrors that I just love the idea of being in their world/them being in ours. I really hope its not a one off "because its cooool" thing from an unrelated experiment to have this dude chasing them around:

but has something to do with the main experiment of the show. I figure if they're traveling via microbes, maybe the ship is in a way shrunk (not necessarily in a literal sense like Fantasic Voyage), and when popping out the other side picks up a harmless tardigrade, now at human scale.

The mutilation was also the freakiest thing in star trek since the transporter accident of The Motion Picture, so that was pretty fun to see as well.

Overall a huge step up from the 2 part pilot. Klingons still look dumb as hell and the time period is such a terrible decision. This show would be flawless as a post voyager era show with a new alien race we haven't seen all concerned with purity and looking like orcs with strange new technology starfleet is experimenting with. We clearly already know this transportation tech is going nowhere since its never seen again, oh the fun of prequels, but, eh, what are you going to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Rocksicles posted:

I challenge you to find a a black man wearing a bad hat. Can't be done, It's a universal constant.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I'm fine with them rebooting star trek mostly, really, I enjoyed the JJ films for what they were too. Its shot wonderfully and its incredibly beautiful for a (sort of) tv series. The first 2 episodes felt really weak from a story point of view though, but the 3rd seemed pretty neat and had me on board to see where they take this new interpretation of star trek.

That doesn't mean I and others though aren't a little sad to say goodbye to the star trek universe we grew up watching and enjoying. If the new star wars films remade chewbacca as a 5 foot 6 armed CGI reptile, the stormtroopers to look like space marines in helmets so their faces could be seen, the death star into the romulan mining ship in the 2009 trek, and the empire acted like ancient egyptians, to put their own spin on the universe, it would be a bit disappointing as well. Even if I'm still interested in them and enjoying them, I would be sad to see the star wars universe I knew be gone.

There doesn't have to be this black and white you either love it, or you're a whiner who just wants it the same as it was. You can enjoy something while being critical of it, or even just legitimately be critical and hating it without that being some character flaw.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The Bloop posted:

Same, but they explicitly said they weren't rebooting and this was a prequel in the prime universe and then :what:

Yeah I don't know why they said that. Its clearly a reboot, they need to just own that and let it be its own thing like the JJ films. I agree it also would be a fantastic post VOY series with a new enemy, heck make them fractured Jem'Hadar who overthrew their gods and have since been scattered and no one has seen in 100 years since the dominion war ended. The fungus drive would be a cool new thing with potential instead of something we all know is destined to never be anything.

Their weird insistence on it being "prime" is just the silliest part, even every show after they finally had a budget, from TNG, DS9, ENT, all went to great pains to show things as cheesy as the TOS sets as they were. Heck ENT bothered to come up with a passable reason why the klingons in TOS look like humans with shoe polish on their face.

Obviously a show in 2017 looking like a bad 1960's set would be awful, so why not just let it be a reboot? Call it a reboot and be done for petes sake! I'm fine with a reboot!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

DorianGravy posted:

Just finished episode 3 of Discovery, and I thought it was pretty good. It raises a lot of questions that I'm interested in learning more about, and I think the shady captain is intriguing.

I'm a little annoyed that Michael's mistakes aren't a little more clear-cut, though. For example, the other prisoner blamed her for the death of people on the Europa, but she wasn't responsible for that at all. Sure, she mutinied, but the mutiny immediately failed, and everything that followed was unrelated to the mutiny. Yes, her captain died, but that wasn't her fault. Yes, she probably shouldn't have killed the Klingon, but bad judgement in a tense situation isn't a crime.

I mean, she should definitely be court-martialed for the mutiny and she should regret it, but I don't see how anything that happened afterwards actually resulted from the mutiny.

Yup, the plotline would make so much more sense if Michael had actually fired on the klingons during the brief mutiny. Yes the klingons were always going to attack, but from starfleet's perspective they would blame Michael for starting the conflict. Everything would make sense if they would have just had her fire successfully, but as it is none of it really makes sense when people harp on her. Even starfleet giving a life sentence feels really weird since there was always such a point made about starfleet focusing so much on soft rehabilitation, but if she fired first, and everyone really has reason to think she started the war, its easier to see how pissed they'd all be.

As it is, she did nothing, nothing at all, then the klingons fired first.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Kibayasu posted:

You guys do remember that she killed T'Kuvma, right? The leader of the now unified Klingon Empire? The guy that she herself believed killing was a mistake (before stupid emotions kicked in) because it would inevitably lead to war? And that everyone knows she killed him?

That might have something to do with everyone blaming her for the war.

The problem with that is she was the only reason they didn't flat out try to kill them all with bombs. If it would have been up to the starfleet captain he would have been dead anyways, and this is all after starfleet already lost the battle, the europa already destroyed. They can tell us all day long, and have every character under the sun talk about how she caused this war, but they never showed that, and in fact showed us the exact opposite of that.

Its just extra frustrating because they had the perfect setup for her whole backstory, they just needed to have the captain recover from the neck pinch 10 seconds later. Give us that and everything locks into place without every character tripping over their dialogue to tell us over and over how she started this war.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Flatscan posted:

Nope. It makes Michael genuinely responsible for the continuation of the war, at least in part, rather than entirely blameless as she would be if they'd done nothing.
The same way that she would have been entirely and solely to blame if Tom Guycot up there had his way and Michael firing first had been the spark that started the war.
Both of you seem to want some simple black or white, good or bad dichotomy, but unfortunately for you the writers seem to be going for something a little more morally ambiguous than that.

Theres nothing ambiguous, they're having every character left and right tell us how bad she is, how to blame she is, how the war is all her fault as this terrible mutineer. The problem is its unearned with the story, she had a 30 second mutiny that didn't do anything, accomplish anything, change anything, have any effect period on anything. If she actually did something, anything at all, it would make sense, as it is it just feels poorly written.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

DentArthurDent posted:

...and evil Captains, I could easily see the admirals deciding to pin the blame for the war on one officer.

I've never understood this one criticism of ST:D, half the captains in starfleet were evil if the shows were anything to go by. Evil or insane dudes who kamikaze planet eaters, go rogue killing cardassians, conduct illegal cloaking experiments, kill sentient life forms to power engines, and on and on.

Starfleet captains have a passion for going evil.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I just want more of the giant tardigrade, keep her around the rest of the season. In fact, I want a spin off show about the giant water bear going on adventures in the galaxy.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I was curious when the next episode would drop onto netflix, and if it already hit the CBS streaming service. I looked it up on the CBS website and... jesus christ they "air" the show at a prime time, time slot for a god drat streaming service? Do they know what the internet is? What the hell.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 8, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

This Ain't Star Trek XXX

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

And More posted:

I'm a bit disappointed that the tardigrade is not literally an enlarged microscopic creature. They're also really doubling down on the Alice in Wonderland imagery with the mushrooms and teleporting cat/bug.

This was me, I'm super bummed out thats the case. I loved the idea that this processes was inadvertently bringing monsters from the microscopic world into the macro. Maybe they'll bring an amoeba through and it will start sucking on a crew member, a protozoa squishes down a hall. Maybe ensign red shirt disappears during a jump, no one knows what happened but he stayed at the microscopic level and is having a scene out of the ending of the 50's The Fly.

I find that kind of stuff cooler than just being a naturally giant space bear floating around munching on spores. Not that that makes any sense, if it lived in space feasting on spores why does it even have claws? We've seen space lifeforms before in star trek and they really shouldn't look like they're evolved for climbing on plant matter.

I dunno, if they're going all dark and horrific with trek, go all the way and really amp up some cosmic and bio horror poo poo. Give me ensign redshit giving a good "heelllp meee" at the end of an episode.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I genuinely liked Enterprise, the first 2 seasons were pretty meh (even then though there were a bunch of episodes I enjoyed among them), but the last 2 I really liked. Sure the 3rd had a weird rah rah star trek does jack bauer thing going, but I thought it was a neat season long arc and I loved how genuinely beat up they were by the end of it, ship barely held together and a 1/4 of the crew dead. The 4th season was almost all good, neat multipart episodes, spiner getting to ham it up, pretty passable explanation for "yeah we get it the 60's had no makeup budget" klingons, and the first inklings of the federation starting. Shran was great, the doctor was great, I liked t'pol, I liked most of them, and the ship too.

Maybe I'm a sucker but I really liked seeing them in this transitional state where no one wanted to use a transporter, the uniforms were utilitarian, the admirals wore neck ties, the ship looked more utilitarian, people were welding and there were caution lables all over stuff. They had to dock with ships, the engine room was great and different, I liked seeing their poo poo weapons getting better over time and no tractor beams and all that.

I honestly have never understood the massive hate enterprise got. I find it a lot more re-watchable than VOY or TOS, and still get sad we never got to see their romulan war.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

You know, I can be disappointed in the visual redesign of the klingons and its whatever, but the thing that really bugs me is they don't seem like they have an ounce of fun in them. I can't picture these klingons punching each other in the face while laughing and drinking a barrel of blood wine. I can't see them being joyous in battle, heading to their death with a smile and a laugh. I know the albino was a religious nut but he acted like a pissbaby when challenged in even the slightest. The discovery klingons, even the ones we've seen outside t'kuvma's sect are just so dang serious and grim and act like they all have a rod up their asses.

Edit: I know its been said and said over and over again, and its either the biggest sin of the show, or the biggest 'lol trekkies :rolleyes:', but if they aren't going to look like klingons or act like klingons, why did they bother making them klingons? A brand new race would have given them so much creative freedom.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 10, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

They better show that water bear being sentient or something, because as much as I love her, and want her to get her own spin off show chillin' in the galaxy, I don't see much of an ethical quandary. If it really is just a big ol' dumb microorganism enlarged, I would have nooooo problem periodically nipple clamping them if it meant instant travel through space and all that would bring to the universe. Sure it sucks for the tardigrade, but medical tests on animals suck for them too right now, however its important and worth the trade off. Nevermind all the pests, insects and microorganisms we flat out kill just because they're a nuisance. So yes, nipple clamp a thousand big dumb bugs if it saves lives and ends the war quickly.

They're going to have to try a lot harder to present ethical dilemmas if thats the only place they're going with it.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

well why not posted:

I mean, it'd be pretty funny for DSC to be strongly anti-farming, pro-vegan just to watch the bacon nerds melt the gently caress down

Well, you're not wrong, everything online about STD already is a swarm of people going on about sjw and 'diversity'. Pro Veganism would probably break their last brain cells :v:

Though all that makes me laugh because so far STD is the LEAST social justicey of any star trek show to date.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Yeah... philosophical discussion hits a brick wall when it runs up against the suffering of people as far as I'm concerned. If they end up abandoning and never mentioning spore drive again just because they're hurting some big dumb bug, thats going to feel reaaaaaaaaly dopey considering how groundbreaking and useful instant travel would be. Heck half the plots of star trek are a race to get somewhere in time or lots of people will die. Like, I don't think a "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas" thing really works when what you're asking to suffer is basically plankton.

They really need to either make it sentient, or kill off the network of spores.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I said it before and I'll say it again: I liked enterprise :(

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

FlamingLiberal posted:

The first two ENT seasons are incredibly dull guys, I think we're having some nostalgia blinders here

There was a lot of dull stuff, but theres also a good number of episodes I really enjoyed last time I watched the series. I've been thinking about this more with discovery, the benefits of a serious serialized arc, leading to a loss of one of the best parts of a lot of older trek shows, different stories. Theres something to be said with getting crazy new ideas and new stories every episode that don't rely on this giant connected mess. I still pop on individual episodes of TNG, DS9, ENT whatever when I'm bored or doing something because each got to be its own mini movie with a plot and resolution and, with the best, some really fun and interesting ideas.

Modern serialized TV is great, and I wouldn't want to have missed the breaking bads, wires, and such, but I almost never just throw on a random episode of any of those shows, you can't. Discovery will be the same way. At its best it will be an entertaining story, but I'll never just pick it up again here and there down the road throwing on a random episode because you basically have to get into this huge involved mess if you try. Any given episode is mostly pointless to jump into and uneventful in the grand scheme of the story.

Like I said, I'm not saying its bad, but there really is something to be said for that traditional format, though I feel its now sort of looked down upon, and its not just nostalgia.

edit: I can watch the TNG episode with the time loop a dozen times, but when would I ever want to rewatch this past episode of discovery alone?

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 13, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Cingulate posted:

I don't understand what your argument is. Bentham and Singer would presumably say: what matters is if it can suffer. The show indicates it seemingly can suffer - "it's plankton!" - no, it can hold in its head a map of the galaxy.

I'm just saying I find their philosophy about it flawed. Clearly no one cares about and avoids the suffering of creatures universally or we couldn't live our lives in any capacity. The question is just where do you draw that line. All they've established so far is plugging into this creature has some coordinates and lets them warp without an extra "supercomputer" (which honestly just raises the question after he said that, why they don't just get an extra computer? We know they could make small jumps without a bug so clearly spore jumping is possible without bugs.). That bug having a 'map' inside it could be nothing more than birds knowing their way north, fish swimming back to their spawning grounds, etc. Frankly that matters as well, because I don't care what the universe is, I can't see citizens of the federation being cool that their mom died because starfleet refused to nipple clamp a cockroach on ethical grounds.

It was pointed out voyager had a scenario like this, the key thing being though it was another sentient species they were destroying, not just some bug. So I'll absolutely be fine with starfleet making the choice to not keep doing this because its hurting another sentient species, thats what starfleet SHOULD do, but its going to be real eye rolling if that is the direction they're going and all the creature ever is, is a 10 foot water bear.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Cingulate posted:

Because Biological is More Powerful (see: Species 8472, Voyager's computer system, the mushroom drive itself).

Which would be fine if the engineer hadn't specifically said he just needed a supercomputer to process the required data.

Cingulate posted:

Well the TNG crew once refused to stop the Borg threat, costing countless human lives, simply because Hugh, whose self identity had developed a cool 5 minutes ago, said he doesn't want to, and Data was once willing to let Picard die because a flying screwdriver didn't feel like it, and Picard agreed with him.

The key point in every single case was sentience. They stopped screwing with the power tools because they were becoming sentient, the nanites in the computer bank became sentient, they stop drilling into that terraforming planet because they find out it's sentient.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Comrade Fakename posted:

It occurred to me that if this Alice in Wonderland analogy holds up, and the rumour about the mirror universe episode is true, we're probably going to see some heavy chess-board imagery in that.

I'm seeing this more and more coming about. Episode 4 had the 'white rabbit', being sent off to the matriarchs. The matriarchs who... maybe have a thing for chopping off heads? I also like the idea of Mudd being the mad hatter, you've got the smoking caterpillar, and maybe lorca is the cheshire cat? A mirror universe episode sure could fit into that theme.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I don't think its necessarily that ridiculous, well, or at least any more ridiculous than a lot of other stuff in star trek, but I really hope they explain a bit more on how it actually is supposed to work. Thats the only thing thats making it seem silly really. I mean, a warp drive, making a bubble of normal space and moving that FTL, sure thats something even contemporary people have messed around with conceptually, breaking someone down into atoms, and data, sending that in a beam and restructuring it, all that stuff is most certainly never going to be possible, but it makes sense. In the way that you can understand how it would work and the pieces fit, but the spore drive just hasn't been given any explanation that makes sense which is I guess why people think its overly ridiculous.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The Bloop posted:

Oh lordy I bet they use mushrooms as an explanation for how the Iconian gateways worked.

Eh, they might as well use that as the reason if they're bringing up instant galactic teleportation anyways. Something had to power those gateways, and honestly it would be neater to at least try and tie the mushroom drive into something in existing lore.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Phylodox posted:

There are a few of mentions of klingon bombings and suicide attacks, no? Like the two Michael was there for?

Specifically "Terror raid".

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

xerxus posted:

Speculation which might have huge ramifications:

1) L'rell tells Voq that he has to give up 'everything' to make sure tkuvma's philosophy wins the war.
2) Javid Iqbal, the actor supposedly playing Voq, has zero known credits, and has not made any public appearances/interview, and has almost no social media presence at all. What kind of actor would not be promoting what is essentially the main klingon character? His imdb: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm9333617/
3) Shazad Latif (born Shazad Khaliq Iqbal from wikipedia) is the final main cast member playing a character Ash Tyler. He plays a 'starfleet' character who has been in prison for 7 months when we've been told Klingon Prisoners don't ever last long. There's someone in prison who has been relaying information to the Klingons.
4) Shazad Latif was originally cast as Kol, a Klingon commanding officer. http://deadline.com/2016/12/star-trek-discovery-shazad-latif-cast-kol-klingon-commanding-officer-1201866796/

Theory: Javid Iqbal is a fake pseudonym for Shazad Latif. Ash Carter is Voq infiltrating the Federation to learn about the spore drive. L'rell happens to be on the ship, huh? How weird. This eventually leads to the spore drive's destruction by the Klingons. War destroying something beautiful that can never be recovered.

The only thing going against it is that many Klingons got vaporized, and Carter almost got killed too many times.

I like the series.

This is absolutely what it's going to be. He has to give up everything, klingon purity is more important to him than anything, getting the spore drive would let him take revenge on the klingon who dun wronged him and give him great power, matriarchs infect him with the augment virus, bam he looks human, done and done. The fact that the actor playing Voq has 0 credits to his name or history, and that Ash Tyler's actor is credited in the first 4 episodes as well while Voq's isn't credited past 'the butcher's knife', pretty much seals it for me. This will be their big twist, and way to tie in the augment virus/tos look of klingons.

Theres a case that could be made for Lorca, with Ash being misdirection, but I don't think the show is thinking that deeply. Ash is new, Ash survived what Lorca didn't believe was possible to survive, and if it was Lorca why would he bother going back for Ash. Hes new, he's conveniently in the cell, etc, if it was Lorca, why help the other guy escape why keep him, why any need for a show escape? It makes more sense that he just has the augment virus and looks like a random dude, than they surgically made him look and sound exactly like lorca with all lorca's memories so he's not suspicious. With the new guy he doesn't know anyone anyways so he's still meeting them for the first time. Also if they could just make him look like Lorca, once he's back on the ship theres really no need for much of a plot anymore, he could just order them somewhere to get ambushed the next day, they'd have all the power and there would be no need for super sneaky people getting suspicious of Ash and why he's places he shouldn't be.

Also, lol if they end up killing the mushroom network, thats going to make the Free Willey ending of this episode really funny.

EDIT: Also Ash said he was captured at the binary star battle, and Voq was there for 6 months, plenty of time to comb over starfleet records in the destroyed ships and assume an identity of one of them.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 17, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

It does make me wonder how it re-hydrated itself in space.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The Bloop posted:

No harm in wondering but overexplaining stuff like that is where we get midichlorians. It shouldn't be explained because it's tangential at best to the point of the story and would just be more technobabble.

I was mostly just making a little joke about it, but I would argue star trek is the universe where we should have midichlorians and technobabble explanations for things. Not that they needed to in this case, they were just doing a quick Free Willey thing, I just found it amusing.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Delsaber posted:

Yeah, that's fair. Archer's bumbling also makes a lot of sense to me because as the first guy out there, in an era when Starfleet as an organization is still young and developing (did they even have the Academy yet in the 22nd century?), of course he'd be the one making all the rookie mistakes that Kirk and Picard read about and learn from generations later.

I liked that they very specifically had no prime directive and there were a few times he directly mucked about with less developed races. I also liked how the whole crew felt like tourists that every other alien race was silently rolling their eyes at when they get excited over every little thing, acting like not making GBS threads their pants is a milestone achievement that should be recognized.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

skasion posted:

...Something about this show's attempts to build tension just doesn't work for me. It lacks zip. Saru's angst over whether he has what it takes to captain a ship, and the mistakes he makes in the process, are significantly more interesting. At no point was I convinced that being tortured by Klingons was going to have any serious consequences for Lorca or anyone else, the whole thing felt like an excuse contrived for the sole purpose of accomplishing the three plot points I referred to.

This hits something I hadn't been able to quite put my finger on, but thats it, it didn't feel like there was any serious consequences. It feels like the worst parts of episodic TV, always knowing people will be fine and the story resets, and the worst parts of serial TV, most episodes being pointless out of context, mixed together. If this was breaking bad, GoT, or whatever, I would be seriously worried in a situation that someones going to die, but this felt like Picard getting captured by cardassians, you know by the next episode he'll be fine and back in the captains chair. It feels like maybe they were trying to go "see, we can be GoT too!" with the security chief biting the dust, but she just came off like a redshirt we don't know dying.

I wish they would give even just a couple scenes to some of these characters we see around the ship, you know? Like make me care or be worried, robot lady, cyborg implant lady, helmsman, or any of these faces we see again and again, might die. If they kill off cyborg implant lady, I literally couldn't care less. For all the production budget they're doing a reaaaaly bad job of building this world and characters.

I don't hate the show, I don't love the show, it just comes across as very average and forgettable at this point.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Paradoxish posted:

I was talking about this show with a friend tonight, and the more I think about it, the more I'm beginning to realize that the lack of a shared design language with TOS-era Star Trek is really bothering me. Even Beyond was able to make the Franklin look like something that came from the ENT/TOS world, but nothing in this show fits at all. It's not the lack of continuity that's annoying so much as the fact that it seems like no one even bothered to try.

I can look past it and watch, its just a TV show, but it absolutely bothers me as well, and I hate that to feel bothered by this is to invite personal criticisms of somehow being a silly nerd too wrapped up in old TV series. Designs matter, the visual language of something matters and isn't just fluff. Unless you're rebooting something, a consistency is important to make a fictional world feel real. If Rogue One had come out and dressed stormtroopers like space marines, made the empire and officers look like something out of The Chronicles of Riddick, made x wings look like organic dragonfly's, chewbaca a 4' lizard, and Darth Vader a 4 legged centaur cyborg, it would be pretty darn bothersome.

I'm not saying I want a show that looks like it takes place on a bad fan film set, that would be awful. They just could have placed it after VOY, or done something to at least look like they were paying some lip service to iconic designs of the supposed era. Even the JJ films did a better job of this. The Klingons are also easily as recognizable and iconic as vulcans, why not make the vulcans green skinned with horns, cloven feet and extremely emotional? Its just updated, it shouldn't matter right? The fabric of a fictional universe really does matter its part of what makes it alive, iconic, solid and real. No one wants to see the millennium falcon look like an H.R. Giger painting in the upcoming han solo movie, see indiana jones wear a baseball cap, or spiderman fighting crime dressed like seal team 6.

Its just such a shame because everything in this show looks so nice, super nice. The designs are well made and well thought out. Unfortunately they're never going to feel like they actually have any place in the existing universe. Its always going to be "star trek" and the "discovery universe", discovery will never be a part of the star trek world no matter what a title card or nouns sprinkled throughout say. Thats not me being stubborn or anything, its more like if you were told the 60's batman TV show was in the same continuity as the Nolan films like, you can accept that on an intellectual level if people tell you that, but you're certainly never deep down going to actually believe it when watching them.

Each episode has gotten better than the one before it, so its not a BAD show, its just its own thing like the JJ films, which I also enjoyed 2 out of 3 of, and will never really fit into 'star trek'.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

People said all of this about Enterprise's design.

I would argue that while some people were upset, they did a good job making it look low key and primitive, just not cheap. Not to mention all the other ships, klingons, just the world whenever it intersected with anything from any other show, kept continuity.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

E: oh and now we can guarantee that one or both of them will die because hollywood et. all can't resist the "nice same-sex couple you got there, shame if something were to happen to it" trope.

This is an interesting article, thanks.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Phylodox posted:

I’m calling it now: Tyler’s a red herring, Lorca’s the klingon.

The writers are going for a big, shocking reveal. They’re probably going to make it so that at one point it’ll seem pretty much certain that Tyler’s the mole. They’ll end an episode with him opening up a line of communication with...a klingon!!! And he’ll say something ominous like “I’ve integrated into the crew. Our plans are moving forward perfectly.” And the fans will be all “OMG I KNEW TYLER WAS A KLINGON!!!” And there’ll be an episode where Burnham or Tilley investigates a communications anomaly and finds out about Tyler’s secret messages and he’ll be arrested and put in the brig, but the episode will end with the real twist when Lorca’s alone in his cabin and he starts spazzing out and getting Worfy head ridges, but injects himself with some weird glowy poo poo and goes back to being Lucius Malfoy. And, in the end, it’ll turn out Tyler was actually secretly working with a fifth column in the klingon high command to try and broker peace.

And then I’ll be all “Called it! :smuggo:

Nah you're overthinking it. They went to the trouble to fake an acting credit to have their secret, that is their big shocking reveal. Besides, it doesn't even make sense, if Lorca was a klingon agent, as captain all he would have to do is go to somewhere the klingons are waiting, fake some emergency and get everyone to evacuate, or shut the air off, whatever. I mean he has total authority over the ship, it wouldn't make sense for him to go around doing starfleet missions when they could already have the mushroom kingdom drives.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

skasion posted:

I have to say this episode stretched the plausibility of Ash being a secret Klingon to me. Like really, this outgoing sensitive cheerful ridiculously capable guy is supposed to be the same person as Voq "thanks for the dilithium, smell ya later" Son of None? It seems more likely to me that Tyler is unwittingly bugged or that he's a Manchurian candidate than that he is literally Voq after extensive cosmetic surgery.

On the other hand, nobody from the real Seattle could possibly be that cheerful...

They drop so many little things in this last episode, describing him fighting "like a klingon" making a point to stress how they did a background check on him, even him just saying human was weird, its absolutely going to be the case. They're not writing the show for the crazy people online looking up imdb profiles.

I think theres going to be more detail on *how* thats Voq, but I can't see it not being.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The OA is awful, and teases you from the beginning that its going to be more interesting than it ever comes close to being.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I think the experimental instantaneous jumping with a brand new drive is the definition of that.

Except its like using a warp drive to go to the 7-11 down the block. The spore drive really barely exists as far as what its enabled the show to do, they're just jumping around to battles and existing colonies to save. They have this fancy stuff but they're just using it to run errands.

Now, I don't think the show needs to do this, and if they're giving us a straight star trek war show (they should have done the romulan war), it wouldn't make a lot of sense. I just don't don't think the drive itself is an argument against someones view that they don't feel theres any exploration/adventure to it.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

And More posted:

That part is really confusing. If I was Lorca, I'd load up on bombs, and just jump between Klingon outposts, blowing them to smithereens before they knew what hit them. You'd think a teleporting space ship could basically instantly win the war.

Yeah this is whats disappointed me about the spore drive. I don't give a poo poo how it works its no sillier than a million trek things, but they wrote themselves into a corner. They have this almost magical tech, yet every single instance of its use could have been done with a regular warp drive as far as the plot is concerned. Instant travel wasn't necessary to do any of their plots. Use the dang drive.

Show us it doing impossible things like you just said, show them leaping to a dozen klingon worlds across the quadrant and bombing them all within minutes. Have them setup a shipyard making more spore drives on the far end of the delta quadrant where they know klingons can never reach (maybe at some point the complex just goes dark without explanation, the implication being the borg absorbed it and maybe thats where they got their faster than warp stuff?). Heck in season 2 have them go to the Andromeda galaxy and see some truly new things. Have them do amazing things no other ship we've seen in 60 years of star trek can do.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Georgia Peach posted:

I thought that everyone was too far away from the dilithium mines at warp, despite that being dumb, so they spored on over.

Right, I mean they've used it, but that same storyline of racing to save a dilithium mine could have been done in TNG without any changes but a couple lines of technobabble. The warp core isn't working, geordie needs to get it fixed because they're running out of time, etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I feel like the OA came from some producer who was way too into tai chi and wanted to show the world its amazing magical mystic powers.