Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Someone take that intro and set it to Faith of the Heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Tuned in for Trek. Ended up with Frank Luntz' fat face.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I like how the death rituals are different with these "pure" Klingons.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I thought it was okay.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I am confused whether the Klingons shown were just a fundamentalist sect or the members of the "main" fragmented empire.

I was willing to hand wave how they were depicted differently, like its customs with the deceased, because they were heretical. But they had the heads of the Klingon houses on speed dial.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Maybe it's dumb as gently caress, but I like the idea of a "Son of None" being a major Klingon villain.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Watching "After Trek".

The writer seems to confirm, at least for now, ----Romulans---- won't appear on this show.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I prefer the DIS vs. STD vs. DSC arguments way more than the "this is/isn't real Trek" debate.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Do people even know what "grimdark" even means?

I get the vibe that the arc they're going for is "Trek/Federation ideals will be tested". Not "they will be subverted, inverted, or revised".

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
If you try to cancel the week trial of All Access before they charge you, it looks like they extend that trial period another 30 days.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I guess I don't watch enough TV, but what in the world did MacFarlane do to make everyone hate him so much?
He made Family Guy. Also he's a chauvinist "I'm being ironic" liberal who punches down.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Before I imagined Sarek raising Spock to adulthood before raising Michael, but that line flat out made it clear that Michael and Spock grew up together at the same time.

I was entertained with this one despite fearing that it validated a lot of this thread's negative concerns following last week. Surprised to see the response to this episode is better.

I just like the "what happened to this ship?" plots.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I read Michael's character as a stand-in for criticizing people who adopt a certain jingoism towards being "objective" and "rational". It's the people who think they're suddenly super critical and better than others when in fact they're still obscuring their psychological issues and insecurities that they think they already buried. In Trek fandom, it's the people who idolize the (largely contrived) Vulcan mythos.

It's criticizing atheists, or chauvinistic liberal white men, or the moderate "aren't both sides bad?" types. They have trouble understanding why so many people hate them. To a certain extent, it's trying to course correct a certain subtle problem that was with the meta-mythology of Star Trek all along. (Heck, Roddenberry was, to put it very, very mildly... not the man the official mythology brands him as.)

And adding to the irony is that the character is played by a black woman. These guys aren't the red-pill crowd. They're lost by the new cultural fault-lines. They can still redeem themselves, but it'll take a lot of hard work.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 9, 2017

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Yeah, I've enjoyed every episode so far, and I'm kind of sad that the debut of new Trek is the one thing that causes Trek talk online to become toxic again.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I enjoyed it.

Next week's episode looks like it'll be fun, even if it's a done Trek plot.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Ultimately, I think they're just doing "broad strokes continuity" when it comes to technology, so they can have a holodeck on a pre-TOS ship. I don't mind that much.

But if you want to fanwank it, they already established alien cultures long had holodeck-like technology on ENT, and a ship like Discovery might have access to uncommon alien technology. But they'll probably show that holodecks are standard issue on all Federation ships in a future episode anyway.

I liked the idea of xenophobic "Vulcan logic extremists"; Enterprise kind of had it too, and I hope we'll see more of them. I just like the idea of punching on chauvinist "skeptics".

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Can I just say I really like regularly having new Star Trek episodes to look forward to?

I didn't jump on the Trek wagon until well after Enterprise's cancellation. I remembered the four year wait between Star Trek 2009 and Into Darkness, with Into Darkness being utter garbage.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Also Saru detected deception in Tyler. We're supposed think it's only of his and Burnham's plan. Not his entire mission on the Discovery.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

FlamingLiberal posted:

Considering how pissed people were when Abrams lied about Khan being in Into Darkness, I find it hard to believe they would also make that mistake.
That was cynical as gently caress because there were these "Is this whitewashing?" thinkpieces before that statement, and it got everyone to shut up.

Into Darkness sucked for so many reasons. gently caress that movie.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It would be great if they end up never having Section 31 as a plot, and all the speculation and preemptive judgments that such a story would suck will be be all for nothing.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Good episode.

They said Georgiou will be seen again, so it's highly likely we'll see an evil Michelle Yeoh that's not Aung San Suu Kyi. But I'm still hoping the Emperor ends up being a more unexpected plot twist.

The geek in me wanted more exposition of the Mirror Universe history. I'm glad we're getting a sequel to A Mirror, Darkly.

It's still relatively established that Kirk's Enterprise was the first to contact the Mirror Universe (if I'm not mistaken; though they could also just toss it out of the window; I don't really care); so it's possible the prime Discovery might not make it back. And maybe we'll see the Mirror Discovery try to blend in within the Federation. And it's possible Lorca jumped into the Mirrorverse intentionally, so there's plenty of ways they can take this.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I kind of want Star Trek to do something other than Khan, considering the scope of the franchise. Especially after what STID did.

On the other hand, getting a Mexican or Indian actor to play Khan, and have him be in character, more than less, could be be the biggest gently caress You to Star Trek Into Darkness.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I kind of like how it's forgettable Mayweather's cargo ship that left the book on the Gangster Planet.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
They hinted in After Trek that Culber might not be totally dead. I'm guessing they'll probably do a mirror replacement with perhaps memory engrams or something like that.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Mirror Emperor should be human Vic Fontaine.

And they should never explain why it is.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I hope if Lorca really is Mirror Lorca, his motives still end up being somewhat sympathetic.

Like, Lorca Prime is dead, and Mirror Lorca, despite being a sociopath who's willing to kill, concludes that the Federation is better place to live and worth defending than the Terran Empire, because why shouldn't aliens get along and all that.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
One thing that doesn't support Lorca being from the Mirrorverse was how he didn't know that he wasn't captain of the ISS Discovery.

Unless if he was expecting Lorca-Prime to be Captain for some reason.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I hope Section 31 doesn't show up in this show at all.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
So did anyone watch it?

It wasn't as fun as last week's, but I just like the world building of the Mirrorverse. And the actor playing Tyler is finally compelling now that he's no longer just playing PTSD man.

The final plot twist of the Emperor was the least shocking thing though. Whatever. It'll be fun to see Michelle Yeoh ham it up.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Another thing: Tellarites and Andorians look pretty much unchanged since Enterprise, which is a good thing. Not that I would have mind a redesign that much.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
If they arrive back in the prime universe, they might have to do a time jump so they land back after "The Tholian Web", so they can address why they didn't warn the Defiant that it'll vanish.

Or pull a Superboy Prime Stamets punches the walls of reality Spore Drive so hard that there's no more continuity issues.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I rationalized them not mind melding Tyler because they were short on time, and Tyler pretty much exposed himself as "bad". The rebels have little reason to check his deeper intentions.

It's not a strong rationale; I know.

It would have been nice to have Sarek and Michael just talk for minute after the meld about their history, and have a throwaway line about how Mirror Spock is enslaved on the ISS Enterprise. Or not, considering how little Sarek talked to his kids in the prime universe.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
DS9 gave us Mirror Vic Fontaine. :colbert:

edit: oops. i missed the post. I'm saying this was a good thing.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

AndyElusive posted:

I just bought a tee shirt with the Terran Empire emblem on the chest from the official trek apparel store. I think that probably makes me the worst Star Trek goon on the entire forum right? Showing allegiance to a fascist and lovely faction in a parallel universe and all.
I wore a Sinestro Corps shirt once and then someone saw it and made a Big Bang Theory reference and I then wore it less.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I don't want Section 31 to be plotline for quite a few reasons. It would validate what DISCO is for haters of the show. Its use in Bashir's plotlines in DS9 were okay (with many reservations), and they were only used briefly in ENT not too poorly I guess. And then STID pretty much poisoned the well entirely; gently caress that movie.

Like, I'm cool with the idea that Lorca is just a disturbed captain who's simply fascinated with the disturbing things. I don't even need him to be from the Mirror Universe. I don't even need him to be a "ends justify the means" guy. He's just a fascinating creep. Making him Section 31 would especially be the least interesting direction to take him.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Like, I'm glad they were the bad guys in DS9, but there was still a weird sympathy for their motives. Like, Sloan was portrayed deep down as a true believer of the Federation, a reluctant enemy of the heroes, and was hyper-competent.

Like, with post-9/11 hindsight, I think Section 31 in another Star Trek story would at best be tolerable if the organization was portrayed as nothing but bad apples who don't care for the survival of the Federation, largely incompetent, and more concerned about personal gain and profit. And of course, they would have to be the unambiguous bad guy.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

thexerox123 posted:

So... like Into Darkness?

(I guess his motives could still be spun as defending the Federation, but personal power probably had more to do with it.)
Like I said that movie was total trash.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I got the impression that Section 31 wasn't ever sanctioned by the Federation. It was a rogue group of extremists that had spies and informants in the government. They only used an obscure line from the charter to justify their acts. They'd like to think they're official, but really aren't.

Not that it really matters. Anyway, like I said, this show is better off just avoiding them entirely.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The writer in After Trek strongly implied they'll address the ISS Discovery's shenanigans in the prime universe in some capacity.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That episode went by quickly, which is a sign that I enjoyed it.

I was kind of hoping Emperor Michelle Yeoh would be more bombastic and hammy. But her dynamic with Burnham was interesting.

I didn't mind the Voq plot too much. Since the seeds were planted for it in The Vulcan Hello, the showrunners probably had to follow through on Fuller's plans. Hopefully, he can now just have a plot that doesn't involve constant PTSD. The actor had a better presence as Voq than PTSD man, so I'm hoping the character will be retooled so he can be somewhat badass..

I think we're supposed to assume that the prime Lorca is dead; but I wonder what he's like. Imagine him being a huge softie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

ashpanash posted:

Now I'd like to see the Discovery return to their universe 15-20 years after it left. We'll find out that the universe is shocked because they have a record of the ship being found by Klingons and being destroyed, but not before laying waste to half of the Klingon fleet, which ended the war without the need for the cloak data.

But it was the ISS Discovery with advanced weapons that actually stopped the Klingons.
This would resolve the "Why don't they warn the Defiant that it'll vanish?" problem and still let Kirk be the first guy who explored and returned from the Mirror Universe.