Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

IT'S STAR TREK TIME, GUYS!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

vermin posted:

I'm gonna be out of sync with everybody else cause 60 Minutes just barely ended.

Same

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Music is good, not sure about the title sequence though.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

pospysyl posted:

Bryan Fuller's on board? Nice. And Goldsman and Kurtzman are pretty good TV writers, at least.

He was on board. He apparently came up with the framework for the show, but left before they got anywhere, and retained a credit. :-(

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Wait, is the bridge underneath the saucer?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I really like the science officer so far. Doug Jones is great.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I thought that they were going to keep using Majel Barrett for the computer. :smith:

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

vermin posted:

I like the tall death-sense guy.

I actually like all the characters so far, even sarcastic helmsman.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

So, they armor themselves with the coffins of their fallen crewmates? That's metal as gently caress.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Astroman posted:

If they light that signal and a bunch of brownface smooth forehead Klingots show up in gold lame' I will never, ever complain about continuity for the rest of this season. :allears:

I want this so bad.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

How come nobody is talking about the best part of the episode:

"Did that Klingon just shush you?"

He totally decided the humans weren't as bad, and walked out of his hiding place, not attacking. Would have been interesting to see Klingonbro fight alongside them for a couple minutes.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

Presumably he got it fixed.

Or maybe they breed normally at this point and Starfleet develops the tribbles into fast breeding cuddlebugs to stop the Klingons.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I thought that the reason they ate Michelle Yeoh was because they didn't have any food, and that she was basically some meat sitting around. They mentioned a few times that they were starving, and they were close to cannibalism. That's why the other captain was able to get the whole crew to defect by laying out a banquet.

Granted, that would mean they left her for a long time, and she probably spoiled by then.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Lorca isn't out of place in Star Trek. We've had militaristic captains around before, and the Federation is in a state of war.

He's important because he exists on the opposing side from Stamets and Saru and Burnham. I'm hoping that they don't make him bad in the end. He'll be more interesting as a good captain trying to protect the Federation while being a little more loose with ethics rules. It's too cliched to make him bad.

I hate the new Klingon ships, though. I want to see D-7s flying around!

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

It is very cold in space.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Another John Eaves masterpiece

I thought these were two different ships: the D7 that captured them, and the "prison ship" that they escaped.

To me, this looks like the bottom of the nose of the D7. I know I'm stretching because I want D7s in this show, but I do see it. It looks like it bulges out a bit like the front of the D7.

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 16, 2017

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Didn't Stamets say something about trying everything and there wasn't any option that didn't end in Mudd taking over? That's why he was bringing the others in.

I think we saw the very first loop, and the second loop we saw was like 10 or so down the line. The third one we saw was dozens past that one.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

thatbastardken posted:

Calling it now, Mudd is a Q.

TOS already had a Q character in Trelane.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

That was a pretty good battle at the beginning. Too bad it didn't use normal D7s. That would have been really cool.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I like how Lorca is acting like a Starfleet captain at the beginning of the episode, telling the Admiral one thing and coming up with a way to quickly disobey orders.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

What if the show goes full Sliders and they have to start jumping randomly to get home, going through all different universes. One of these universes will be the Mirror Universe.

Stamets being injured means that he can't pinpoint the right universe. He can still jump between them, but doesn't know which one he's going too. The show can have mini-arcs within one universe, but they eventually leave and find another one.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I mean, we all basically knew that Tyler was Voq, but he's dead to me now.

Poor Cuthbert. :smith:

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Chickenwalker posted:

Are we to assume that he's actually dead or that she just thinks he is? Manchurian Candidate Clem Fandango stops being interesting as a character without the Manchurian Candidate angle, so I've got a feeling we've got some Head Six bullshit to come.

And you know, there's foreshadowing and then there's dropping hints and then turning to the camera and winking really hard at the audience. It's good that they're following through and not doing some contrarian asspull stuff like some other writers these days because they want to assert their intellectual superiority over audiences (looking at you Rian), but they need to get better at not telegraphing some of this stuff quite so hard. Like Breaking Bad was able to have cool twists without a minute long closeup on the tag that said "LILY OF THE VALLEY."

I think we're to assume he's dead. She did her brain sifter thing, he went from speaking Klingon to English, and she did the death yell after seeing the flashbacks.

I'm going with Voq's dead and Tyler has a hosed up Human-Klingon body.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

So I guess no mirror Cuthbert, then? :-(

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Smythe posted:

- lrell and voq download ash's brain and discard his body
- chop up voq to look like ash
- upload ash brain to voqs chopped up ash style body (?)
- hibernate the voq brain until, it, awakens? at some time?
- ???
- profit?

was the idea to infiltrate the discovery and steal its tech or something? can someone fill me in here? seemed like their plan did nothing and was for no reason??

Don't forget "skin Ash and wrap skin around skinned and shrunken Voq."

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Andorians and Tellerites are awesome. Discovery should have had Andorian and/or Tellerite bridge officers.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I remember that from Dark Mirror. That was a good, if cheesy, book.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

What I'm saying is that Bones is probably delicious.

You could probably ask Dax about that.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Love Stole the Day posted:

Reactions:
  • :laffo: this kung fu fighting. when she kicked away the throwing knife i had to pause for a full minute

I liked that. It was bringing Michelle Yeoh back to her roots.

The Network looks like the Time Circuits from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure while they were flying through.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

So did Prime Lorca die on the ISS Buran? My takeaway was that ISS Buran was attacking the Charon, flew into an Ion Storm just when Lorca was trying to transport somewhere, and that's what caused him to get into the Prime universe. He would have switched places with Prime Lorca a la Mirror Mirror, right? After that I'm assuming he escape podded off and blew up the Buran himself when they realized he wasn't the Prime Lorca.

We know that the Mirror Universe thought that Lorca was dead. Presumably they blew up the ISS Buran?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

a pipe smoking dog posted:

If they got combined would they form George Michael?

All that caused by a Careless Whisper of "Energize."

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

shovelbum posted:

Then the Nexus made him realize his true desire... dune buggy combat

Picard never left the Nexus. He became an action hero to fight his main enemy, the Borg. Then, after that, he got to sleep with an immortal Milf, and then he fought and beat his younger self.

The poor Enterprise crew died on Veridian III.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

HD DAD posted:

I got the impression she mind probed the Ash meat puppet and essentially deleted Voq.dll

Yeah, basically the inside of the body was Voq, converted to human through surgery. They then put the flayed skin of Tyler over that modified Voq. They also put Tyler's personality, memories, etc over Voq's memory. She killed the Voq mind underneath.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Discovery first season is better than every other first season but TOS.

I just wish that the ships weren't all so uniformally terrible. They should have taken the ships from the TOS Blueprints book, even though it was non-canon. I'm even willing to look past the Klingon redesign, but they should have been flying D7s.

I would have loved to see them as actual TOSS Klingons, but I understand they really can't legitimately do that in a modern sci-fi show.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Remember that is a rendering made of the drawings. There never was a model, so that's a modern interpretation.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

If we had to go with a popish song, at least make it something good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqGVyPO647I

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

mllaneza posted:

They don't taste the same, I'm sure.

They definitely don't.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I still say this is the best first season since TOS. Voyager had an okay first season, but every show was allowed to grow. If Discovery grows at the rate that TNG does, this show will be incredible by season 3-4.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

This season is not better than TOS season one. It is better than every other season one, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

He also left American Gods. I dunno if he's hard to work with or just very principled or what

I'd expect him to leave Vampire Chronicles as well. It sounds like he wants things to be done his way, and when he runs into someone who stands up to him, he leaves. I can see Anne Rice standing up to him.

About American Gods:

AV Club posted:

Quoting anonymous sources from the show’s production, THR claims that Gaiman butted heads with Green and Fuller about the series’ direction going forward, with the author allegedly balking at decisions that would have moved the second season away from a straighter adaptation of his 2001 novel.

I wish we could have seen Fuller's version of the uniforms, though. He wanted to keep everything to basically TOS stylings. He also wanted to bounce around and look at ships in different eras, so one ship would be in TNG's time, one in the 25th century, etc.

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 8, 2018