Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Started watching Discovery with my family a few days ago, and just finished episode 4. I think I've had enough. Everything happening on Discovery is stuff the bad guys in Star Trek are supposed to do, not the good guys. It's a crew of mostly unlikable dicks being dicks to each other, some of the visual designs are goddamn awful (the Discovery and everything to do with the Klingons in particular), and this stuff just isn't fun to watch. I haven't spoiled myself on the rest of the series, but at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if this was actually supposed to be the Mirror Universe or this ship is secretly under the control of Section 31.

There have been some redeeming bits, I like Michael and Tilly and Saru, and I think I'd like Stamitz on a different show, but... this isn't what I think of as Star Trek and I don't find it entertaining to watch unless it's all building up to everyone going "No, this is not how things are supposed to be, this is not how Starfleet is supposed to act, and those are not actually Klingons, oh and Michael isn't actually Spock's secret adopted sister, now let's pretend this crap never happened and go back to exploring."

And I seriously cannot get over how dumb the Discovery looks. The speed holes were bad enough. But then it all had to start spinning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Geekboy posted:

Literally what happens.

Michael is my fave Trek lead in ages and I enjoy the Klingon stuff (I don't think anyone has put more work into their Klingon language skills than Mary Chieffo), so ymmv on the rest, but the whole point of the season is testing people and having them decide to make Starfleet-like decisions.

So far, my experience is that everyone who does make Starfleet-like decisions gets killed and eaten for it, or guilt-tripped into making the Hard Choices or blah blah blah. And everything to do with the Klingons so far has been a tortuous grind. Klingons as religious fanatics obsessed with purity? That's the Republican Party, not Klingons.

Somehow, I don't see the entire show abruptly changing tone and gears.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I may give it another shot, then. My impression has been that STD is a very well made, well written, well acted show that is completely joyless and unfun to watch.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Eh, I thought the idea behind the spore drive was neat. I think the mycelial network stuff is completely batshit, but it's Star Trek so I'm willing to overlook a certain amount of that and I like the idea of the Federation experimenting with biotechnology - it's something the series have occasionally touched on but never really explored, and thought maybe this was leading to the Excelsior's transwarp from the movies and whatnot even if it proves impractical for wider adoption.

Then I realized that the Discovery was going through the same notes as the Pegasus or Equinox. Whose captains were bad guys and it ended horribly for both ships.

Granted, hearing that one of the two gay guys on the ship died in a later episode didn't help. Yay, an actual on-screen gay romance in Star Trek! Whoops, gay couple on television, should have loving known.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Do any star trek romances end well though? Worf marries Jadzia and she dies. Sisko is told marrying that lady will lead to nothing but suffering, and that's after his many flashbacks to his first wife's horrible death. Various one-episode romances end poorly. You shouldn't expect a gay romance to end badly because they are gay, but because nearly all the romances end badly.

Most tragic case: O'brien and Keiko stay together forever. :negative:

Eh, Tom and B'Elanna do fine. Riker and Troi are eventually fine.

But beyond that... yeah, fair point.

I'll give STD another shot, I guess, but it's made a very poor first impression on me. I think maybe the first two episodes should have been left for later in the season, or maybe another season entirely. Let the cast interact more in ways that don't revolve around Michael, and build up some suspense and mystery about what exactly happened. Give us the new crew we're going to get to know right away rather than distracting us with maybe the best non-Sisko captain in Star Trek who's only there for two episodes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Geekboy posted:

Not gonna lie: This is my least favorite part.

The gay writer and the gay actor and all of the other gay people involved in the production keep saying they're proud of it and where it has already and will go, so I'm not sure I'm allowed to complain too much as a straight.

Gonna take a wild guess and suppose doctor guy will eventually be brought back by spores. They're already magic.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cingulate posted:

Imagine ... Non-mirror Georgiou, Saru, Tilly, Michael, non-widowed Stamets peacefully exploring the galaxy ... after discovering a Good Script in a strange nebula ...

This is one of the things that really annoys me. I love the brief look we get of Georgiu, Saru, and Michael before Michael goes all Ahab. I'd love to sit down and watch them, Tilly, Stamets, and Culber exploring the galaxy. Maybe have the Romulans are the initial villain - still mysterious, still no one knows their relation to the Vulcan, but icy after the Earth-Romulan war. Maybe play against type and encounter say the Betazoids or Trill as a significant space-faring power that isn't happy to see the Federation, paving the way for them eventually joining instead.

There's a lot of interesting ideas Discovery could be playing with that it's been discarding in favor of its own little Expanse wannabe plot.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think Michael would work much better if she was only one character in an ensemble, not the central protagonist.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hail Mr. Satan! posted:

Why would you name your female character Michael, have another character explain how unusual that is, but then never explain why that is her name?

I'm guessing it's because that's what her parents named her.

I know two women named Michael irl.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Still begs the question of where T'Kuvma got the cloaks from in the first place. I wouldn't be surprised if season 2 is learning that the Romulans were behind T'Kuvma and his gang. That is the kind of poo poo they'd pull.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tighclops posted:

I think they did put something like that including Asimov's Foundation books on a disc in the car actually

I'm glad if rich assholes develop cheaper access to space because I know that one day if they're successful, that technology will allow some people to escape the crushing boot of capital and may in fact be the only way this is possible

e: Burnham is a mary sue and anyone that identifies with her is suspect I say suspect

I dunno, a lot of major characters in Star Trek have some sort of disaster or mistake in their recent past that shaped them into the better person they are now. Kirk and the Tarsus (?) famine. Picard's bar fight with the Nausicaans (or later, the Borg). Riker and the Pegasus. Sisko's depression after Wolf 359.

There's no reason Michael's mutiny couldn't have been what crystallized her understanding of what Starfleet is supposed to be. It just wasn't executed well.

To me, the two most obvious ways to fix things would have been to have the Discovery show up in the nick of time to save the day at the Binary Stars with its spore drive - explicitly showing how fantastically advanced the ship is - and Georgiou throwing Michael off the Shenzhou after her mutiny onto the Discovery as a prisoner. Keep the Shenzhou crew in the picture, and build up early the mystery about the Discovery. Play Michael as caught between two worlds, as exemplified by two very different ships and two very different captains.

The other, would have been to start with Context in media res, and focus a bit less on Michael and more on the other characters. Invoke some mystery about Michael's past, the Shenzhou, and what happened at the Binary Stars, to be slowly revealed over the first season or two.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It wouldn’t surprise me if their race is very small or dies out. The Aenar from Enterprise are a similar issue.

Also, the Aenar are a subspecies of Andorians and the Andorians aren't exactly a common sight to begin with.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Facebook Aunt posted:

From what we see in all series Starfleet is like 90% human. Maybe there are other mono-species ships like the Vulcan ship on DS9, or maybe most federation species are happy to let humans do the heavy lifting on intersteller exploration and combat.

Being culturally tolerant doesn't change basic physical differences. Federation standard gravity, lighting, humidity and temperature is essentially human standard. Most andorians will be chronically sweaty and uncomfortable. That one lady from a lower gravity planet on DS9 had to wear an exoskeleton outside her quarters to be able to function at all. I think there was a guy once wearing a cannula delivering some kind of gas because the 'standard' atmosphere didn't have enough chlorine or something? It makes sense that a lot of species would prefer ships staffed by their own people with the environmental settings the prefer, even if that means having a less prestigious posting.

This is an idea that the Star Trek books run with, yeah. Also leads to things in the books like water-filled ships for aquatic Federation races and rock-filled ships for a Horta crew in one book.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

skasion posted:

ehhhhh i don't think this holds up at all, even for TNG-era Trek where absolutely everything can be talked or teched to death. sure you can cook up some non-military uses for a phaser rifle or photon torpedo, but they were obviously developed as weapons and Starfleet intends that its ships should use them accordingly if they have to. The spore drive is actually less objectionable than that because its potential isn't solely or even primarily military, it is basically completely without limit. In fact it's so powerful it pretty much breaks the setting entirely. It could take you literally anywhere in the universe, or in other universes, in a heartbeat, as long as you know where you're going! poo poo, why even bother with starships? Just make a fungus box and sporp over to Andromeda for the weekend if you want to get your explorations on.

Eh, in episode 3 Stamets specifically bitches about how he and his research were press-ganged by Starfleet when the Klingon war broke out. It's not clear whether he was developing the spore drive specifically or just studying the magic shrooms, but either way he's not happy about Starfleet conscripting him and using his magic shrooms for military purposes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

There was one in a couple of old Trek comic books written by Diane Duane in the 80s.

The phrases "these guys are all tunnel and no rock" and "that gives us some digging room" come to mind. :3:

Yep, one of the Star Trek books I read as a kid had a specially outfitted Starfleet ship crewed entirely by Horta.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cingulate posted:

Are there Andorians and Tellarites on DS9/TNG?

There are not, although both were mentioned. The Andorian makeup and antennae proved too expensive for the TNG makeup department to use on a regular basis, so the Bolians were invented as a much cheaper to do race of blue aliens.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The_Doctor posted:

I found a Discovery tie-in novel at the bookstore the other day, and couldn't resist having a look inside. The first page I flipped to was a scene with Michael, Sarek and Spock. Because of course they couldn't resist.

She'd hardly be the first sibling Spock's refused to talk about.

But to me, that's still one of the more fundamentally baffling - and pandering - decisions about Discovery. Human raised by Vulcans? Fine, even great, one Star Trek book I enjoyed as a kid had as its protagonist a Betazoid raised by Vulcans. But making it specifically Sarek? Discovery gains nothing but the residue of association with Spock by that choice.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Bloop posted:

Well sure, they should either have set the movie after the war or they drat well should have had the new Sovereign Class beatdown ship with the best crew in the fleet Fighting in the drat War

A Dominion War movie would certainly be better than what we got. Even if it was just the Enterprise on some pivotal mission that needs to be completed but can safely be ignored on DS9. Of course, the real problem is Worf and it was inevitable that something stupid had to happen to get him there while ignoring Miles.

I think Paramount is just scared that wider audiences might realize that Sisko really is the best captain. Alternatively, they're understandably wary of letting this guy chew the scenery on the book screen.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like at least so far, Disco has higher lows. We have not had any completely unwatchable episodes yet. Whereas the other shows had at least one in the first season. I do think having 15 episodes instead of 26 in a season helps a bit.

It also has lower highs. I'm nearing the end of the first season, and I haven't seen anything to compare to Duet, Balance of Terror, City on the Edge of Forever, or Space Seed - all first season episodes.

I'm willing to call this a similar start to ENT and VOY: a show with very little idea what it's about or what it wants to be, and it remains to be seen whether it will find its feet or not.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arglebargle III posted:

Maybe they'll have Jolene Blalock on to reprise T'Pol. They never gave her enough to do.

Blalock signed on for ENT because she was a huge Star Trek geek and was thrilled to play a Vulcan - much like Tim Russ. In interviews with Blalock, to call her cynical and disillusioned would be a gigantic understatement.

I've finished STD now. My conclusion is that season one ended with a promise that maybe STD will be a show I actually want to watch next season.

What a goddamn waste of a collection of solid actors and potentially interesting ideas.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arglebargle III posted:

Has there been a star trek fistfight that was ever part of a good and memorable episode?

In Purgatory's Shadow/By Inferno's Light, Worf against the Jem'hadar.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I mean if they can't find a workaround for the control inputs besides macro scale water bear torture or Very Illegal human genmodding it's kind of a non-starter.

It's also never mentioned again in Star Trek, so I assumed from the beginning that it would end up not working, be horribly wrong to use, the fungus network would end up getting destroyed, or some combination thereof.

Really, everything about Discovery feels like Pegasus from TNG or Equinox from VOY stretched out to an entire season.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

skasion posted:

Oh boy, this is gonna be like the warp speed limit and space global warming that TNG introduced and then everyone else ever ignored for the rest of time

Voyager briefly noted that Starfleet developed better warp drive that didn't damage subspace and lifted the warp speed limit, incidentally.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thom12255 posted:

Was she just joking around or was actually offended that an actor in a Star Trek show actually enjoyed their castmates instead of wanting to kill them like the other shows?

No joke, there's an excellent chance that she's drunk and joking. Marina Sirtis is a certified British football hooligan.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They had already checked off their Prestige TV bingo card with the implied rape, no cannibalism was necessary

The cannibalism was in episode four anyway. The first moment that made me think out loud at the tv that I can't take this crap seriously.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I feel like they were deliberately setting her up as somebody you'd see rise through the ranks during the show's run.

She's a more tolerable Wesley Crusher so far.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gonz posted:

This is on CBS All Access. They'd have T'Pol get naked for some random reason.

Blaylock would probably refuse. She loving hated T'Pol and Enterprise because her character was mainly there for fanservice and she was chosen for the role for her looks, not her acting ability or how she'd been a huge Star Trek fan overjoyed to sink her teeth into playing a Vulcan.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Was she actually a huge fan? I've always heard that she had more knowledge of the show compared to her costars, but she wasn't like a megafan or anything. Not calling you out, I'm legitimately curious.

Yeah, she was a big nerd and idolized Nimoy and Spock. When Paramount offered her the job of playing a Vulcan on Enterprise, she was so loving pumped.

She's disillusioned to say the least in interviews.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

McSpanky posted:

Nobody's been able to write Vulcans right since Mark Lenard was Sarek.

Tuvok on Voyager was pretty good when he had something to do. Whereas Spock always seemed to be quiet and sad underneath his Vulcan calm, Tuvok was pissed the gently caress off. See also him strangling Neelix on the holodeck (he was testing whether his control of his emotions was slipping, they were) and that episode where a black market for violent emotions and memories gets shut down by Tuvok sharing what's inside his head and it freaks the black marketeers the gently caress out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Seraji posted:

Anyone else wondering when the Borg will show up?

I feel like they won’t be able to resist introducing them in some way.

I won't be surprised if they tie the spore drive/mycelial network/tardigrade stuff into Species 8472. I think an 8472 getting loose on the Discovery or another ship would be a perfect excuse for an episode full of gore and dismemberment since STD seems to love that poo poo so much.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MikeJF posted:

Hell, they could mine TAS, that poo poo is gold for wierd stuff.

Can we please skip the catgirls, though?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

thexerox123 posted:

I'm willing to bet Cythereal was just misremembering this post as fact:

That's it, yeah. I didn't check the link and thought that was a link to an article about Saru's actor having health problems from his makeup.

My bad.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Relax, they were never going to blow up Earth or Qo'noS. This is a prequel series, and we know both planets are decidedly non-blown up ten years down the road.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

shovelbum posted:

Does anyone have pics of it from STO with like TOS material textures? I am looking at it and my only real beef with it is the Aztecing

Only certain ships in STO can use the TOS textures and the Sovereign isn't one of them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gorewar posted:

I'm waiting for the novel where the Voyager crew discusses a spore drive or the Equinox gets retconned as a spore drive.

This kind of thing is why I don't like the spore drive, despite finding the idea basically interesting. And, for that matter, a huge danger of prequels in general.

I might forgive it a little if they tie Species 8472 into the spore drive on the show and use them well, though. I thought 8472 was a great idea that Voyager completely botched and I'd like to have another shot with them.

But this is Discovery, an aggressively mediocre new Star Trek series whose first season I found very comparable to Enterprise or Voyager.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cross-Section posted:

The Glenn had to have had one, since they had a spore drive.

It does beg the question of where the USS Crossfield itself is.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FuturePastNow posted:

DS9 established that the Mirror Universe is the bisexual universe

Unless you're a man.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cingulate posted:

I think she comes across like a caricature, and she is the most believable, real of the whole bunch.

The writers are not very good.

Agreed on all counts. There are only a couple of characters on STD that I came away liking, and Tilly was the best of the bunch.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Echo Chamber posted:

Let's not overuse "aggressively mediocre". Star Trek Into Darkness was aggressively mediocre. It might have been the only time I've described any entertainment media as aggressively mediocre.

I can't say the worst parts of DIS are aggressively mediocre. Stupid? Yeah. Bad? I guess some of it was. Willfully bad? I can't say that.

I hate STID that much.

STD to me was very comparable to ENT or VOY season one. There's promise, but also a whole lot of stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
TOS S1 had Balance of Terror and City on the Edge of Forever. DS9 S1 had Duet and In The Hands of the Prophets.