Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Looking forward to once again live-posting in a Trek thread. Haven't done that since the Enterprise days on TrekBBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
That is a very good title sequence. While the theme is very...generic, I can see it growing on me. The whole thing has a very deco look to it that evokes TOS enough. Bring it on.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

mycomancy posted:

STD premieres in an hour on CBS, so I decided to watch the best episode of the best Star Trek series before this "show" does whatever it's gonna do.

Yes, I'm watching In The Pale Moonlight.

I too am watching one of Trek's finest hours.

Masks

But seriously I legit enjoy that episode and hope Discovery gets to go to straight up gooftown for an episode occasionally.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I am withholding a lot of judgment because this was clearly just the prequel mission to the rest of the story. That being said...

It was pretty good. It's clearly going to be a more personal story than what we're used to from the TNG-era format, though it is admittedly pretty hard to come at this from a completely objective point of view since we've all religiously inhaled 400+ episodes repeatedly over the years. But coming at this from as open a mind as I can muster, I think this'll turn out to be pretty drat good.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I'm waiting for when CBS All Access inevitably fails, they'll look at Discovery and axe it because really, it's always been just a giant commercial for their streaming site anyway. Best case scenario here is they somehow give the rights to Netflix and they produce it, because CBS don't want that poo poo, not when they have hot property like Young Sheldon.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I honestly think we're going to get some good old fashioned bottle episodes. I mean, they've already hinted there's going to be time loop and mirror universe episodes, so it seems they're at least thinking about not going full speed ahead plot explosion.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

precision posted:

More Trek media should dare to be unTrek.

Yeah. The way I see it is, we used to hear about this poo poo happening rather often in Trek, but it was usually the aftermath and exploring the moral quandary surrounding it. We're now dead center in it with these first two episodes, and I'm pretty sure we're still going to get some very traditional Trek moments this season.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Timby posted:

One of the EPs who replaced Fuller, either Harberts or Berg--I forget which, but it was in a semi-recent interview--said that they view Episode 3 as "their" pilot, since they kept at least enough of Fuller's two scripts for him to retain credit. Edit: After hearing that, it makes the random two-episode tack-on from earlier this summer (to make the run 15 episodes) make a little more sense.

There's a preview clip floating out there from Burnham's first introduction to engineering on Discovery that's much more the tone that we're accustomed to in Trek.

Spoilers:
http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/29/star-trek-discovery-anthony-rapp/

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Hi I think DSC is pretty okay so far and am looking forward to the next episode. Orville is pretty good too.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Huzanko posted:

The comments are amazing.

You wonder if TNG would have gotten the same "leftist agenda" hate boner comments, especially with its utopian space-communism during the Reagan era.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Carbon dioxide posted:

Memory Alpha calls the series 'DIS'.

Then I'll go with MA's call on that. DIS it is.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

marktheando posted:

It's true.

She is devastated at the end of the episode and says she has betrayed Starfleet values and got her mentor and crew mates killed. She calls herself the enemy. I don't know how you can get more unambiguous.

This reading of the show as some kind of neo-con fantasy is just not supported by what happens in the show at all.

If you go by internet reactions, this show is either an agressive neo-con grit fest, or a gay libtard agenda piece.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

skasion posted:

Yeah, they kind of snuck this one under the radar through a combination of "it's two chicks making out so it's not gay" and "it's a worm doing it so it's not gay". DS9 was occasionally able to get away with things like this because TNG's homophobe-in-chief Rick Berman had so little influence on it.

All the same, nobody could call Dax "openly gay".

Rick Berman was full of bad opinions. Gays might upset me the audience. Everyone act boring so the forehead aliens really shine. Music should go unnoticed and be as milquetoast as possible.

Notice the music suddenly got a lot better once Manny Coto took over Enterprise.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I liked this a lot, and it felt more like the Trek we know and love. However, they need to stop with the clunky expository dialogue.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
[quote="“Trin Tragula”" post="“476973426”"]
I’m not sure what I’m enjoying more:

Star Trek is airing again
Watching new Star Trek
Anticipating how much new Star Trek is going to annoy people who deserve to be annoyed
Seeing how much they were in fact annoyed

It’s a fuckin gas, yo.
[/quote]

Seriously. I was online during latter DS9, VOY, and ENT were airing, and all of them were getting ripped to shreds. It's just how it goes.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Love Stole the Day posted:

My favorite part of watching STD is guessing which moments everyone is going to circlejerk about. I really don't like this show, but this thread is sometimes fun to read so it's worth it I guess?

Like, the writing is straight up awful in places, and the plotting is really clunky. However, there's enough there where I'm interested in letting it say what it wants to say and reserving final judgment for when that happens.

I dunno, maybe I'm just being super lenient since I know if I based my opinion on TNG on EAF through Code of Honor, I'd think it was a pure shitfest. Though DIS has been much more enjoyable than those episodes ever were.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
[quote="“Ventana”" post="“476996319”"]
What I don’t agree with are the posts that say something like “war war war war WAR” that imply this is like some Star Trek: Frontlines or something.
[/quote]

Seriously. There are some serious things you can criticize this show for, but this isn't one of them. They go (sometimes pretty awkwardly) out of the way to portray this war as something no one likes or is comfortable with, and I'm pretty sure they're setting up a giant "we're better than this" moral of the season.

But please for the love of god, stop with the expository dialogue.

"As you know, best friend for 12 years, we've been scientist buds for a very long time. Also, MICHAEL BURNHAM THE MUTINEER is behind you."

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Shibawanko posted:

She did a bad American Army Mans thing and got a life sentence by the committee of darkface scaryman judges but got rescued by DJ Trauma on the Event Horizon.

That sounds awesome.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Easily the best episode so far, and very reassuring the wonder of Trek isn't lost here.

The music swell at, and general feel of, Michael's "hello" at feeding the tardigrade was pure TNG.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Enterprise at least attempted to do some experimentation and goofy poo poo, which automatically makes it better than the "I give up" atmosphere of Voyager. It didn't always pull it off, but it tried.

Edit: Discovery is good too.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
This might be just me getting old, but I've noticed a lot of modern TV shows (Discovery included) seem short to me. Objectively they're 40-50 minutes long, but it feels like I've just watched a 15 minute webisode instead of an actual installment of a TV series.

It's like the trend nowadays is to cram so much into a span of time instead of letting things mull and breathe. Even in film, everything has to always be moving for some reason. It's especially noticeable coming off of the new Twin Peaks.

Anyway, that's my rant. Other than that, new Star Trek is pretty good.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The Eugenics Wars are already 15 years late, let's light this loving candle already.

I'm waiting for them to retcon this as a conflict that happened but never came to light until like, 2072 or whatever. Or they'll just continue to quietly never mention it ever again.

Still though, WWIII is coming up in nine years, according to Memory Alpha.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Paradoxish posted:

Trek is littered with Bad Admirals. Lorca is the Bad Captain that up until now could only be theorized to exist.

Lorca is the captain that would have been the subject of Picard's scorn in a rando Starfleet intrigue TNG episode. I'm okay with us getting the story told from his perspective.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I really liked Enterprise’s sometimes mundane early seasons, because everyone acted like the massive dorks real people would be if given the opportunity. Especially Archer, who just kept getting himself into stupid poo poo due to his own naivety, which T’Pol would always rub in his face.

The series wasn’t perfect, but it had a heart of gold.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Shibawanko posted:

I always hated this and was glad that DS9 mostly got rid of telepathic nonsense, as far as I remember.

But they did have that sweet DBZ kamehameha duel between Jake and Kira that one time

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
That was a really good episode of Star Trek. Weird metaphysical alien zips off heartwarmingly into the universe, while Starfleet engages in ridiculous hand to hand combat with Klingons.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the doctor just...isn’t a very good actor. It’s like he’s putting his heart and soul into reading off a teleprompter.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I defended Enterprise quite a bit when it was still airing, and it’s still great. I’m really happy to see it getting some love in recent years.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Wendell posted:

Yeah, you didn’t know anything about O’Brien at first either. It took years. Let them build the mains, then they’ll (possibly) build the sides.

This brings up a tangential thought - it's really interesting how shows these days really have to hit the ground running in order to survive both critically and financially. I mean, this has always been the case to an extent, but the concept of letting a show simmer for a season or two really doesn't exist anymore. On the plus side, this makes studios really up their game. On the downside, this also probably makes studios hella nervous and end up with too many cooks trying to shove their "this is popular too" checkboxes at the detriment of the product. Again, always been the case, but it's a lot more noticeable now that content is being pumped out by everyone at all times.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Vehementi posted:

Speaking of Enterprise I remember when it was running, the thread here on SA had some people who worked on the set feeding us zany information. Do we have any insiders this time?

I dunno, but I went back searching for old Enterprise threads, and came across this gem talking about what people would want for the next Star Trek series after Enterprise:

Some Schmuck in 2004 posted:

I'd like a more gritty wartime storyline. The whole season is one continuous, short-term story about some ship's experiences in some mission in the war. Two old friends (Captain and First Officer) with differing ideologies end up coming to blows by the end and one ends up killing the other. Pretty dark with various flashback episodes fleshing out the characters.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Tighclops posted:

Hay guys do you wanna read my new fanfic it's about how the Federation collapses and one ship has to try to rebuild it in a ~*dark crippled galaxy*~

OG idea do not steal

Check out my Dragon Ball Z/Voyager crossover fic. The latest chapter features Tien trying to teach Harry Kim to psychically project himself to his long lost love in San Fransisco.

Thank you to all my readers,
xXJanewayXx
-3/21/01

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

That is a tuning peg.

“Ensign, set a course for drop D.”

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Wheezle posted:

That was another scene for me where I was *expecting* to feel like they were beating us over the head with this - but I didn't end up feeling that at all. I actually found it quite touching and not at all forced.

Everyone's gonna react differently, I guess. :shrug:

Yeah, once I saw the scene coming, I was afraid it was going to go down awkward as hell, since this was pretty much the first romantic scene in the series. I was pleasantly surprised with how low key it was.

Well, you know, minus the timefuck mirror. All gay couples have those, right?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It really does feel like sometimes the producers researched what qualities in shows made the most money, and then slapped it together into one giant bible and told the writers “alright nerds, make this work. Also I remember this Spork guy is popular, make sure he’s connected somehow”.

Also, how are Nick Meyer and Joe Menosky involved in any way? From working in production, I know that the “co-executive producer” title can mean as little as “we talked on the phone one time and he gets a check”. The cynical side of me thinks they’re just on there as lip service to fans saying, look, we got some of the old guard in here!

That being said, despite its flaws, I’m enjoying DIS and hope it works its kinks out.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

skasion posted:

Frankly I could absolutely go for a Menosky episode right about now. But failing that, if I had to guess what he contributed, "the ship runs on teleporting mushrooms that permeate the entire universe" sounds right up his alley and I wouldn't be surprised if he originated the concept.

I adore Menosky and his :catdrugs: episodes. If we get even one of those this season, I’ll be pretty happy. Bonus if it’s directed by Frakes.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I super enjoyed this one. It was also co-written by Trek-alumnus Joe Menosky.

Also, pumped about time loop episode.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Whoever is voicing the computer does a remarkable synth-Majel impression.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I don’t get the “characters are assholes to each other for no reason” complaint, especially in regards to the last two episodes. We’re starting to see a lot of bonds formed and people are beginning to work together in very Trek fashion. Though the writing has been awkward in places, I think they’ve been doing a pretty good job of showing the transition from “hey who’s this clown” to “yeah let’s be friends” pretty well. A lot better than everyone suddenly getting along by the end of Caretaker.

I think the only legitimate rear end in a top hat so far Lorca, and that’s a plot point. The next one down is Stamets and he’s only about equal with The Doctor from Voyager in terms of snark.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/RealJavidIqbal

This made me laugh. A few people related to the show are following/gave a shout out. I don't think they're trying to hide it anymore, or they're really playing up a red herring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Phobeste posted:

It's pretty funny to see purebred autism that got tricked into watching this show because it's called star trek interact the actual show, which is at least trying to have subtext or expect something from the viewer rather than having 5 beige people spout exposition in exact lockstep, their dilated pupils fixed on the camera

I appreciate Discovery because it’s at least attempting to do something different with Star Trek. It doesn’t stick the landing sometimes, and there are definitely still some reservations I have with even the basic concept, but I really like most of the characters and am totally down with the Discovery being the experimental weirdo ship being captained by a literal crazy person.