Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Pro thread title OP, probably better than this show will be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Huh. Interesting.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Peachfart posted:

Impossible, nothing Star Trek ever acknowledges anything on DS9.

Like it’s DS9s fault for existing in a league by itself

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

The Human Crouton posted:

This ain't your father's loving Star Trek. Now drip hot wax onto that tardigrade slut.

Read this in Janeways voice

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Tilly is the best in any universe. Looking forward to Tilly killing the poo poo out of Killy.

gently caress

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

SpeakSlow posted:

Discovery is looking more and more like the first self-contained part of an anthology series.

Oh, and calling it here. Mirror Lorca still has people entrenched throughout the TE. Alt-Burnham was killed and thats why Lorca needed this Burnham all this time. What we saw this week is his first steps towards his takeover of the Terran Empire.

All the while, Killy is wreaking havok with the Mirror Disco in the prime uni, poisoning the well for the return of our Disco.

:agreed:

Gonz posted:

Looks like we’re gonna see the first ever depiction of General Order 24 next week.

I am shamed, but I don't get this reference

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

:stare:

I remember this episode but don't remember the "exterminate this entire loving planet" as a standing order, jesus.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Lord Krangdar posted:

Well, they did have a plot point where it was against Federation law not to stop and help space whales.

I still don't give a drat!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Imperial flagship is dope as gently caress.

:agreed:

I just hope this doesn't mean Jason Issacs is off the show once this is all wrapped up, he's great.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

So I thought this was actually really good. I had zero expectations with the way S1 ended but I thought Pike was great, and Anson Mount totally made me forget Marvels Inhumans was allowed to exist. If you’re not familiar, don’t even bother.

It’s too bad Lorca had to go the way he did. He did a pretty great morally grey/evil captain. A really extreme Sisko to Pike’s Picard.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Alright 2/2 solid episodes. Keep this up and we'll have some no loving poo poo Star Trek on our hands. I hope they keep Pike around as long as possible, he's cool as hell. Also glad the bridge crew is getting some development. Tilly remains the 2nd best redhead to Detmer, but Tilly is still fantastic.

The tardigrade: "You had to be there.."

Discovery.......good?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Honestly if the Klingon, Georgiou, and Spock episodes all take up less than half of this season then I’m gonna call it both a win and an extreme improvement over last season.

And speaking of Pike, if they adhere to canon then he doesn’t really have to be back on Enterprise until 2262. I know it’s a limited thing, but I’d really dig if they kept Anson Mount around longer than just this season. He’s seriously great.

Yeah they can absolutely get years out of him. This Pike is cool as poo poo. Anson Mount is also now on my "dude I would make out with in a TOTALLY non gay way" list.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

My first thought when they busted out the spore drive again was "Janeway probably had the specs and materials to build one of these the whole time, but refused out of morality/being psychotic."

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Binary Logic posted:

The Last Ship used the same split plot device to great effect and in similar manner. Anyone who enjoys Trek for the tactical space battles and action scenes should check it out.

AMERICA ACTUAL ON DECK

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i am one hundred percent down for knife-missile having special circumstances michelle yeoh

I like how she doesn't just kill or vaporize klingons but straight up causes them to explode.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

OH MY GOD IM NOT EVEN DONE WITH THE EPISODE BUT gently caress THIS IS GOOD

The universal translator going haywire
I hope to god they keep Reno on full time, she's funny as gently caress

Anyone else think "attach nipple clamps to it" about the blob shroom thing

Hopefully, they'll keep clowning on season 1. It's hilarious every time "a drive based on the mushrooms I pick off my pizza" lawl

ha Tilly is tripping :2bong:

Burnham doesn't need to be in this show. You could literally take her out of the script and the show would be the same or better

Saru suicide!!! :smith:

Anson Mount better stays on this show forever. Pike rules, he's now my 2nd favorite behind Sisko.

HOLY gently caress THEY'RE TRIPPING AAAAH THIS OWNS SO HARD

Ok so aside from Saru's dying-not-dying thing and Burnham this was amazing

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 9, 2019

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

gently caress canon, gently caress the timeline. Pike and Reno forever.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Even if Shran is dead, Combs needs to be in every Star Trek.

Just drop in a line about the long lifespan of Andorians. Boom, more Shran.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah at this point just say gently caress it and give him a show on the Enterprise leading up to the point Kirk takes over.

Honestly, you don't even need that. Drop Burnham into a volcano and make Pike and Reno part of the main cast. Keep the timeframe really vague, never stop dunking on season 1, bam 7 seasons of Disco right there.

What I'm saying here is that I'd really like a Pike & Reno power hour.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Gonz posted:

That whole Ba’ul bridge communication back and forth was spooky as gently caress. And I love the design of those pylon ships.

That's probably the most actual alien species I've seen in any Star Trek

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Wasn't there an episode where some aliens hacked into Geordie's visor and got the shield frequency and were able to fire right through the shield?

Generations

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Once again the adventures of Commander Burghdahl suck in comparison to the rest but fortunately it was wrapped up with a quick "hey look Spock is over there!" I was really hoping that the section 31 show was just going to let Michelle Yeoh chew it up as an antihero who doesn't give a gently caress but the cliched evil Section 31 guy isn't a great sign. Pike continues to own and I'd really like to see Reno be made a regular.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Holy poo poo Saru in the turbo lift, I’m just loving dead

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

This gonna end with the borg

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I'm not a huge fan of the Stahmets/Colber thing but that "why are you so angry at me?" line was really well delivered. I felt that sting.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Eau de MacGowan posted:

logic extremist

logic extremist

LOGIC EXTREMIST

I bet they’re from the Vulcan Middle East.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Wow the suit has unlimited storage, that must be very convenient...

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Random musings
- The Enterprise and her bridge are gorgeous
- Loved Pike’s little wink at Georgiou
- Sarek and Amanda flying all the way there just to say goodbye felt like a really dumb thing to do unless they’re genuinely never going to see each other again and they really are pulling a reset on the characters
- Reno better not die/go insane next week :argh:
- That was a whole bunch of nothing that basically existed only as prelude to next week

Oddly Reno walks away from the whole thing entirely unscathed

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

We know exactly who LaMarr is. He is Laforge except good with women. Black helmsman promoted to chief engineer whaaaat?

and a SUPER hot gf

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

davidspackage posted:

Fly up, stupid.

*Detmar panics*

There is no up in space :smug:

checkmate motherfucker

randommanthefirst posted:

I will not allow this besmirching of the USS Ben Sisko's Motherfucking Pimp Hand

mods I need a name change

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 17, 2019

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

The Ba’aul did nothing wrong

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

axelord posted:

Yeah they could do anything with the show now...including just continuing with Pike

That ending felt like a late production decision along the lines of a backdoor pilot for a Pike-Enterprise show. CBS has to know at this point that he brought a gently caress ton of cool to this show. The "classify this entire season, and last season too" bit also felt like a late production course correction. Maybe next season is discovery in the 32nd century? That would be cool, especially if they didn't make some Voyager-esque "we have to get home" play.

Overall, the season was a total mess with signals and the red angel, control, and just bad writing. First, they can't get the data off the ship, then Geiorgu can suddenly have it on a thumb drive? BTW did Naan just get like punched to death? I didn't even see it. Why was killing Leland all that they needed to do to kill control? Why does what amounts to a really bad computer virus decide to get into a firefight rather than just gently caress with the computer of the ship it just beamed onto? A lot of the episodes stood on their own though, the first 3-4 especially.

At first, I thought the space battle was going to be really good, especially when the reveal came with the billion mini-drones on the 31 ships but then I just couldn't see poo poo save for the few shots where it looked like Enterprise and Discovery were doing the sort of flak fire you'd see in BSG. Compared to the 10 minute white knuckle space battle The Orville did a while back this was really underwhelming. Blowing off a chunk of the Enterprise saucer was pretty neat I guess, except the bit with Pike closing a clear blast door then just standing and watching the thing go off was goofy as gently caress.

Upsides:

I like Anthony Rapp but the spore drive is sorta played out and they do need a Chief Engineer who doesn't use mushrooms picked off her pizza to make the ship fly, which they sorta hinted at with Reno which would be amazing. Every scene she was in cracked me the hell up. "Get off my rear end! Sorry! Get off my rear end, sir!" Tilly saving the shields based on a drunk blindfolded dare got a good laugh from me too. There are a lot of places they could take S3. This season was a mixed bag, but for sure an improvement over S1 so perhaps we will get a solid story next season.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

So Ba'ul fighters being flown by Kelpians means that the evolved Kelpians genocided the Ba'ul right?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Turbolifts in a space battle seem like a way worse idea than elevators in a skyscraper fire

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If you’re dumb like me and actually pay for All Access, they just sent out an email survey that gives you the opportunity to tell them how Anson Mount deserves his own show where he and PeckSpock share meaningful eyebrow raises and Number One defuses bombs every week.

Man they aren’t asking for questions they don’t already have an answer to.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

This thread is now a horror movie

This is it. This is bij.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

“There’s pie in that nebula!”

Him and Matthew Lillard could be brothers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Hipster_Doofus posted:

TV IV > Star Trek Discovery: The Boat Runs on Mushrooms

Tig Notaro's whole scene where she roasts Stahmets about this then fixes something with literal chewing gum was gold