Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I like the part at 0:56 where she walks into a giant room filled with weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Echo Chamber posted:

Tuned in for Trek. Ended up with Frank Luntz' fat face.

I too think Oprah and Frank loving Luntz is a fantastic use of my time

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I came for star trek but this oprah thing is basically winn adami on steroids so i guess I can't be too pissed

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

lmao 13 minutes into when discovery was supposed to happen we get an ad for it

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

hahaha they just keep going because who loving cares

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Astroman posted:

GET HYPE

SIT IN YOUR FAVORITE CHAIR

WILL IT BE

OR

WE'LL KNOW AFTER THE FIRST HOUR OF NEW STAR TREK TV IN 12 YEARS! :woop:

otoh i'm a exec at cbs and who cares, do whatever you want

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

no coffee nebulas yet so a solid B

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

to be fair i'm a fan of shooting things and hoping it all works out

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

odo not lookin so good

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

IS THAT FORESHADOWING I HEAR

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

oh good they didn't hire some poo poo garage band for the intro music

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

i'm the ship flying out of the exploding vagina

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Silly Burrito posted:

Well that would be a discovery for some Star Trek fans.

can't wait for the q+a with Kate Mulgrew

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Acer Pilot posted:

That theme song is all over the place. Bring back faith of the heart.

the song should be the noise VGer makes and the producers should go around the country executing whoever watches this poo poo

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

MichiganCubbie posted:

Wait, is the bridge underneath the saucer?

it's probably a good idea to put the senior officers somewhere besides the giant bull's eye on the top of the loving ship

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

there's no opportunity to DISCOVER

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

shadok posted:

This is really badly written dialogue.

welcome to sci-fi

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

i too do not understand the concept of shuttles in a world that's had them for hundreds of years

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

so this is dumb but in theory you could beam someone next to some poo poo unprotected, let them observe it for 3-4 seconds, and then beam them back just fine

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

DISCO IN THE HELMET

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The Bloop posted:

Did that say episode 2 is already up?

This is not bad. I'm still pretty eh about the whole idea of the klingon redesign but the klingon space suit was cool

the klingon redesign is good, and it's really loving stupid that people care about klingon makeup 20 years ago but no one cares that your phone looks 1000% better than the screens on the enterprise

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

if those vulcan spheres just show worlds burning down that's metal as gently caress

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

nice diaper

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Astroman posted:

Yeah, I thought these were the long lost Klingon Sarcophagas Ships, which were separated from the rest of the Empire for centuries, thus the different look. But it looks like only the one ship was, and the rest are just warping in from present day Empire, and of course they don't look like goddamn D-7s.

we haven't spoken to or seen the rest of the klingons for two hundred years, but if I push this button ten klingon ships will instantly appear

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

pospysyl posted:

"A Star Trek series from the point of view of a typical Trek villain" does have promise. I have no idea whether that actually is the premise of the show, though, or whether it's, as Lorshmee says, "this ain't your Daddy's Star Trek!" I don't have a lot of optimism about how the show will handle my all time favorite Trek character Mudd, but I am curious as an atrocity tourist.

give elim garak a defiant class ship and away we go

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

That was a pretty good episode, and I'm excited to see where the show goes. I'm glad they didn't show Discovery at the end as it keeps their options open to properly plan out the next season.

I still think they should have made a real reason no one can use a spore drive again, as "No one can talk about this!" doesn't do anything besides stopping mid 23rd century Starfleet. They had the building blocks with May - just have Discovery provide May with a way to reverse the polarity of the mycelial network to blow up any ship that attempts to jump from here forward. Hell if you really wanted to go hog wild you could have traded that to May and her green fungus lights in exchange for them showing up in our universe and attacking the Control ships in the final battle.

The space battle scenes were cool and I liked the time warp effects reminiscent of The Motion Picture. The personal combat scenes were excessive though and they seem really stupid given that Control's nanites could have just reached out and "assimilated" Georgiou about a dozen times like they tried to do to Burnham a few episodes before. I get that you have Michelle Yeoh and wanna show off some moves but I feel it works better as a seasoning than as a course.

I hope Pike gets his own show in the same vein as TOS or TNG - a show about "normal" life under the federation based on exploration and helping people, led by a captain who wants to do as much good as he can with the time he has left.

I also half expected Spock to tell Mr. Starfleet to downgrade all ships to analog versions to avoid Control in the future, with the final scene showing the bridge with a bunch of switches, dials, and magnetic tape reels and poo poo.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Noise Complaint posted:

I was hoping the Admiral at the end questioning them was gonna be Admiral Crewman Daniels.

Admiral Harcourt Fenton Mudd

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Seemlar posted:

The Spore Drive only functions because of one person, and the way he made it work is both illegal under Federation law and not reproducible anyway due to a lack of creatures from another dimension that the solution was made from not being readily available. It's useless even if they didn't classify it.

Also they still went to the future because they were not only literally on their way into the wormhole when Control was killed, the entire point wasn't "Control has to be stopped" it was "the data must be removed from the picture permanently because any time it's continued to exist all life has been wiped out no matter what"

They also didn't hit the brakes 30 seconds away from the wormhole to offload people because the people on the ship are deliberately there because they want to go with Burnham!

They created two spore drive ships and one of them found the tardigrade very quickly. I understand that the federation can keep starfleet from using this technology, but I don’t see the borg or the dominion having the same moral opposition, or hell even the cardassians, romulans, breen, or the dozens of unnamed civilizations in the rest of the galaxy.

They had the May storyline - they could have technobabbled in something that stopped any ship besides discovery or any ship that wasn’t navigated by Stamets from using the fungus highway.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

They were fully automated drones - the Kelpiens just saw the chairs inside and figured they wouldn’t work without a “pilot”.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Same but also eugenics and cloak and probably other poo poo I'm forgetting. The Federation sure is giving up a lot of useful tech that would revolutionize them! :v:

Yeah and the Federation’s ban on those technologies has kept the romulans and Klingons from using cloaking technology, and has kept the dominion from genetically engineering whole species.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Did we ever see Georgiou when the time warping effects were happening? I wouldn’t put it past them to say she used section 31 magic to get off the ship before discovery left.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

They should go with a cyclical view of time and give us a galaxy that's in a dark age. The Iconians were apparently top poo poo and then they fell and the galaxy turned into the garbage we saw in Enterprise. Drop Discovery 950 years into the future and make it the most powerful ship in the area.

Or show a galaxy conquered by the Kelvan empire.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Is there any reason to believe the V'draysh are an actual empire and not just the 33rd century equivalent of the Maquis beating up on an even smaller group of nobodies?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Did anyone ever explain how Michael's mother could shoot a beam of energy into a dead body and bring them back to life

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Or the simplest solution - you put a manual release on both sides of the door.

Actually no one even looked to see if there was one on the other side.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The scene where Admiral War Crimes dies should have ended with a pan down to a manual release on the other side of the door.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

In retrospect, making the interior sections of discovery out of brittle glass and rocks may have been a poor idea.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

CaveGrinch posted:

Canonically, every single Federation starship in history has walls and consoles full of rocks.

And random natural gas lines.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Rhyno posted:

That's really it. We want to see the best of ourselves in Star Trek.

Agree. Star Trek is at its best when the best of Starfleet is faced with the horrors of the galaxy and finds a way to do what's right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Pike spending his remaining years as captain of the Enterprise trying to do the most good he can before his fate would be a fantastic Star Trek show.