Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Source your quotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Oh great, the klingons are wahhabis now

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

The Islamic State of Qo'nos and it's Caliph Kahless Reborn, T'kuvma!

Arglebargle III posted:

Star Trek: Federation Sniper

If you guys couldn't tell I really dislike the militarized and dark aspect.

:agreed:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Fallen Hamprince posted:

I don't get the Klingons as ISIS comparison, they seem much more like extreme nationalists to me. The homeland is weak and divided , we must return to the course set by our Empire's founder through glorious struggle with the devious, foreign enemy. Make the Klingon Empire Great Again.

To me it's the clear religious overtones of T'Kuvma's little cult added to the millenarianism ("All Klingons must come to the light of Kahless when it shines bright in the sky" "Kahless reborn").

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I'm on the side that would have prefered the show to reference TOS a little bit more, visually, but i gotta say. What they are doing would look MUCH better if they just turned on the loving lights.

Is Starfleet being cheap on the light bill or something? I have to squint to make out the details inside the Shenzhou.

And to clarify: I was fine with the visuals of JJTrek.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 26, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

One side effect of the modernized look of Discovery is that now, if someone wants to make a show after DS9/VOY in this decade, it has to be even more futuristic to compensate and create visual differences. The problem with that is the more futuristic ww get, the more the tech will look completely alien and magical, and it just stops working as a believable future.

As someone ITT has said, making it a prequel is just trying to have the cake and eat it too. If this show was set in the 25th century nobody would be compaining about the visuals, because the way Trek always dealt with real life advancements in technology was move the timeline forward to compensate. Making it a prequel was just a dumbass idea and this show would be much better off without it.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 26, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Ok, now respond to me again when you actually read my posts.

Quidam Viator posted:

Well, isn't the Shenzhou just an on-ramp into the show? I mean, they DID light Saru and Michael and the captain, because they were important to the plot. The rest of those fuckers are dead. Why light them up and get you attached to them? They have a whole, real bridge crew they want you to love, probably not mourning over daft-punk-face, right?

Am I on the right timeline? I know the JJTrek is alternate universe, but if THAT is the new visual look of TOS, then isn't this movie supposed to have similar visuals to that time period, if we have both the movie franchise and this series going? Am I taking crazy pills? It feels very similar and consistent...

Oh, i totally get the idea that they're not important, but it is annoying to me personally that half of the scenes are pitch black. It's just ugly. JJTrek, for all it's faults, didn't have this problem at all, and like i said, i am completely fine with how it looked. I am not at this moment complaining about the visual elements themselves, just the lighting.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I did watch Voyager, and that is worse than this, so i guess i can give STD one more chance.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Also, minor point, and I realise this is probably partly down to SA being SA, but I'm pretty sure the abbreviation is DSC, not STD.

STD is catchy.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Frankly, any portrayal of the future that isn't just humanity dwindling in number as we try to cope with a dead or dying planet after we repeatedly burn it to the ground, never to recover, is wildly, unrealistically optimistic, so I don't get the complaints that it's too dark.

Too optimistic, if anything.

No, that is what is optimistic.

VVV Lmao.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 27, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

I get the vibe that the arc they're going for is "Trek/Federation ideals will be tested". Not "they will be subverted, inverted, or revised".

Thing is, 2 bad episodes in i still don't trust these writers to not be hacks. Maybe they'll earn that trust. We'll see.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

have more powerful lasers.

I actually laughed out loud when the big space battle started and the lasers did the most cartoony pew pew sounds ever. Some even sounded like a carbon copy of Star Wars'.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That's exactly what they want. Regardless of it being what killed the TV franchise for over a decade, and regardless of all that stuff being available already on blu-ray, two or three times per story. Because god forbid there should be any exploration of new areas, fresh looks at civilisations, or bold steps in their Star Trek. And don't even dream of asking them to allow time for that voyage to happen.

That's not what Trek is about.

The thing is, as of now this "bold new look" Discovery seems to be doing is only new in Trek, but it has been done to death in other fiction. Let's be fair, it's only two episodes in, but they weren't creative episodes in any way.

I very much want Orville to branch of into it's own thing soon, but as of now it's at least is following a formula i like.

But maybe we shouldn't be judging these series two and four episodes in, respectively.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

Hi there. We know what you think because you're always so eager to share it with the world. You all knew Discovery would be bad the moment it was announced. And what do you know? You were right! It was terrible you cried. "This is not star trek, things happened" you wailed. "Why isn't it like TNG" one guy said while masturbating over his fanfic about Vic Fontaine, secret leader of section 31. "Guys if we're so autistic why are we also so dumb? Doesn't that mean we have no redeeming qualities?" one guy said and then promptly killed himself. I'd say it was a tragic waste of life but it wasn't.

Didn't call anyone a pedo this time, you're slacking off.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

to even put it on the same level as TNG is pretty insulting

Good thing nobody is doing this. At least on SA. We make have liked Orville but we don't have any illusions that it is TV gold or anything.

It's a more realistic opinion than the one about Star Trek "boldly going where everyone else has gone before" Discovery.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 30, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Well we have prisoner characters. We better have them fight in a cafeteria. Those are the rules.

This was hilarious. Their plan was to kill Michael in a room full of starfleet personnel? C'mon people.

Yeah ok, i actually disliked this episode more than the first two. I loathe every character except for Michael and Saru, the horror movie poo poo was boring, the lighting is still way too dark (lol at that "explanation" for it), and the dangerous mining labor poo poo was stupid.

This is just not for me. I think i will check this out once more the whole season is out, but for now, peace out STD!

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

You guys mentioned The Expanse so much during the course of this thread that i watched all of it this week. It's really really good, so thanks! Feels good to watch some well done sci fi for once.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

but that thread can be bad about it. Even by TVIV standards.

This is 100% true by the way.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 5, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Same old toxic fans, same old complaints. Only the replica bridge crew uniform they wear while posting changes.

I started watching Trek in 2013 and i think STD is bad, so... :shrug:

Feel free to mail me a replica uniform though, i would love to have one.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Beefeater1980 posted:

About all of this, in absolutely any show or film I watch, I don't know that Lieutenant Bob is a Lieutenant because of reading his insignia, I know he's a Lieutenant because someone else is calling him that.

Dispensing with clearly readable insignia would matter in a real military but it's pretty irrelevant to a made up sci fi one that only exists for the purpose of telling a story. Have a couple of dudes call that dude captain and we'll all know who he is even if he is wearing a feather boa and a tutu.

I agree with this, but i also love when the show pays attention to these tiny functional details. It makes it a little more real, like Voyager having navigation lights. It never makes a huge difference, but the effort is appreciated.

VVVV That's a low bar.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 8, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

A couple of these are neat, but then the crumpled paper texture ruins it.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

The original theme song was 100 percent appropriate for what the show was trying to be. Well until season 3 where they "jazzed it up."

This. Plus, Archer's Theme is boring (it suits him).

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

It's hilarious that they changed it to a happy version in season 3, which is the darkest season of the show, where millions die.

Plenty of cold openers dealing with themes of death and genocide and then that stupid remix ruins the mood. Every time.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

The main theme was the best thing about Voyager and the only facet of the programme that seemed to me like it had been made with any element of enthusiasm.

Robert Picardo's acting too.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

The Golden Gael posted:

So when you have people who are too faithful to that aesthetic, like the ones who did the 2006 CGI shots, it isn't believable as a modern vision of a starship. Do note that the 2006 TOS-R shots predate the Smithsonian restoration.

I'm honestly glad they didn't go further with the 2006 CGI. It's supposed to belong in TOS, not show "a modern vision of a starship" that would have clashed with everything else in the show.

Obviously if that model had been made for a new show it would have looked completely different.

The original Enterprise looked like poo poo in the '60s

Source your quotes.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 17, 2018

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

The tone seems much better, but then they said "Spock is the key to all this" and my eyes rolled so hard they fell out of my skull.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

I'd like to see him play non-screaming unemotional Spock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUkx26eo7oA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

I just assumed humanity sort of evolved out of or forgot the worst words we use.

lmao at the word gently caress being such a bad thing that we need to "evolve out of"