Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Smythe posted:

sometimes do you ever lean back and think about how stupid the "spore drive" and "fungal network" is? i mean, it's star trek, home of the blob monster who ate tasha yarr, i know, but like, lol. sometimes it makes me laugh.

regular universe, action movie universe, mustache universe, liquid filled universe, what's a fungus universe among friends here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also it's really funny to me how much better and even Trekkier the sets look for the brief moments they let off on the weird angles and lighting

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
RED SQUAD! RED SQUAD!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pwnstar posted:

Something that's weird about this new show (compared to previous ones) is that most episodes aren't about anything in particular, they are just a continuation of the same story. Like in Old Trek you got The One With Space Lincoln, The One When Sisko Wrote Comic Books, The One With The Scottish Candle Ghost, The One When Trip Gets Space Pregnant etc etc. So far in this series there was the Harry Mudd episode and the one where Saru got space madness. All the other episodes just blend together.

You don't really have time to do one offs AND a serial plot in modern shows, the seasons are so short. I'm happy Discovery is going with one as long as it is and not 12 or 8 or 6

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cingulate posted:

You're right it's not voyeuristic. But what, again, are the values? Some people have their own private little moral codes, but that makes it, if at all, even more nihilistic. TOS might have an Agonizer, but it's also clear that it's wrong, and that the people using it will lose out in the end.

Even Captain Grimdark seems to either have a boner for exploration or recognizes that the federation has one and is able to motivate slash manipulate ppl based on that depending on which universe he's actually from

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I was hoping for revamped TOS Klingons in this those dudes had panache

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

bango skank posted:

Color me stupid but when they mentioned the identity of the Emperor being a mystery, I really hoped they were going to have an old as hell Emperor Archer show up at some point.

At least the return of Empress Hoshi!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fornax Disaster posted:

I suppose that instead of a centuries old family telescope she keeps a centuries old family sword.

Archer going boldly forth on humanity's first warp 5 vessel with the shotgun Zefram Cochrane shot all those Vulcans with on first contact!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Mirror 31, who else are they gonna send on a black ops mission to the weird universe where nobody has a goatee

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

*cues to "The Culture" special circumstances group*

The Culture isn't a human society with ideals though, it's totally antithetical to the Federation. The Federation is a place where flawed people strive for higher ideals, the Culture is a place where people are the beloved pets of inscrutable God machines.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Note that the shiningly utopian Culture lives under essentially omnipotent and omniscient machine surveillance that is present everywhere but inside their minds (and this only due to disgust at the inside of an inferior mind, explicitly paralleled w bestiality)

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
By TOS standards this is gritty hard sci fi, I want to see a political crisis w gangster planet on the edge of war with Roman planet

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

I am usually a stickler for reading and watching things in published order.

I've been meaning for quite a while to read the culture series. Are people seriously suggesting an out of order read as superior?

Reading it in order isn't a terrible option at all.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Maybe this whole season is pointless prologue and we get Captain Mike at the end

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Love Stole the Day posted:

What if he was actually one of the Defiant's crew and his story of escaping the Buran was actually about the Defiant, which is why he sided with the rebels and and -- damnit the eye thing

Also he doesn't look a hundred years older than everyone else

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Binary Logic posted:

Federation should take a page from the Romulans and have some kind of Internal Affairs/Tal Shiar organization to monitor and keep tabs on the officers of their ships!

Hmm I think there was something about authorizing this in the charter...

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

Were Andorians a big deal in TOS? They come up a lot in Discovery, and I was surprised to find out they're like 1950s antenna aliens. Explains why you never see their goofy asses in TNG/DS9.

You get the feeling they're like a foundational race in the Federation backstory and then every production post-TOS was like, "gently caress that, they look stupid."

They didn't come up much but they're a founding race so ENT used them a lot, it was probably the coolest thing they did and the Andorian eps aren't bad.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Could someone do a screencap of the Risa one? I remember the Andorian in The Offspring and it looked loving ridiculous, like even worse than the TOS ones.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies/changing-faces1.htm#andorians

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
They probably never banned genetic modification until they hosed up their eyes.

Kelpiens aren't people to them though?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Are there mummified Usenet threads excoriating TNG halfway through S1?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
This is a streaming show I want blue titties

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

And More posted:

The show is going through villains like there's no tomorrow. All Klingon bad guys are dead. Presumably, Georgiou won't live for much longer. Lorca and evil Stamets won't make it past the season finale, either. Maybe they could bring back Mudd? :shrug:

Mudd is a lovely villain if this is prime timeline bc he has to resolve in a certain way anyway

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Geekboy posted:

If you're trying to talk me into watching DS9 again, you don't actually have to try very hard.

Watch the best Star trek ever Babylon 5

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

GuyUpNorth posted:

I enjoy Discovery for Lorca and Georgiou being commanding leaders of action, not for Voq-Tyler and Burnham drama. Does this qualify me as half-crazy?

Lorca makes me weep for what Janeway could've been with better writers

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
id watch the thicc adventures of captain killy like 40 hours a day

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Delthalaz posted:

It’s a wonder that Q never mentioned the spore-verse that binds all life together in the universe like the Force.

Also did they say that if they kill the spore network all life everywhere dies? like in all dimensions? that seems a bit much

i just kinda tried to hear it as all spore life, that was probably the worst line in the series so far

like instantaneous transdimensional transport is probably better than life itself to the federation

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I like the fuckin guns they make that weird sound charging up and then disintegrate ppl

like it's so goofy and casual and then everyone just vanishes

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

HD DAD posted:

I would be very happy if Saru became captain for the rest of the series, with likely Burnham as first officer. And hell, while they’re at it, give Detmer a regular cast upgrade.

Holy gently caress she's almost as hot as killy who needs borg tna

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Picard is like a transhuman monstrosity w like a robo heart, the memories of a dead alien like he is literally as Ressikan or whatever as he is human mentally and as Borg as he is human physically lol

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Well we've kinda got a recurring bridge crew settled in by now: Detmer at Conn, Robot Lady at Spore, Rhys at tactical, Bryce at communications, Owosekun at Ops. They could bump up whoever they feel works best. I do hope they flesh out these core recurring characters a bit.

Detmer seems most likely to become more prominent, she's already the most used.

Yeah Detmer is awesome especially because she seems bitter and hates Michael

also why is she named Michael like I heard it was some guy's "signature" or some poo poo?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Because Michael is a good name :colbert:

I don't get what the point is though

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The fuckin legs popping up is the new double fisted hammer punch and they need to lean into it

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Smythe posted:

brian fuller does a chick with a guy name in literally every single one of his shows. he did george in dead like me. RIP that show and george whos spooky teen captured the heart of all spooky teen boys

Imo it's really lovely to bring your personal baggage that intrusively into an established franchise it's Patrick Stewart's dune buggy all over again

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, stuff like that happens in every TV show.

I just particularly liked the idea that the Discovery crew was going to have to cope with a suicide mission they really had no choice but to execute, and then that drama got deflated immediately.

That poo poo happens all the time irl I think ppl will pursue some dumb ideas until they realize suddenly oh wait

Bad for drama though

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
TNG morality is about obliterating the inferior races from the moral high ground with photon torpedoes (full spread).

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

TNG is about obliterating primatives through depraved neglect. "If we save this preindustrial world from global cataclysm, it will alter the development of their culture!"

Reminder that in TNG they specifically stated that they have no law that fits the crime of deliberately annihilating a whole species.

Geno-what??

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Smythe posted:

picard owns and the enterprise being so OP is one of the best parts of the show. i like the ep when the primitive rear end in a top hat planet threatens them with lasers and they LOL on the bridge and I also like the time picard cleans the dust off the placard on the bridge. sometimes i wonder how cool it must feel to be the captain of the baddest ship in the whole galaxy, drat. like ppl poo poo a brick when u enter the quadrant. badass. but picard is so disciplined he doesnt let it go to his head. what a man. WOW

he has a million machine parts and the entire life memories of a flute dude who lived a full long life like he is more flute dude than earth dude until maybe nemesis and hes still like the best federation guy ever

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Picards just scared shitless that old man is going to swat him like a bug

q i can deal with but this guy *tugs collar*

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

a pipe smoking dog posted:

If they got combined would they form George Michael?

Bluth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Pretty sure the flute people just uploaded the experience into his brain as a cultural time capsule and he would have had the subjective experience of having a normal heart.

Then the Nexus made him realize his true desire... dune buggy combat