Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

vermin posted:

Wait, is this the regular Star Trek thread now or is it the Mirror Universe Trek thread?

I think everyone's just warming up before the Disco ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Came for the Trek, got Trump-chat.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I'm skipping several pages here because I was unable to watch the show live, so I decided to give it a shot on the All Access phone app.

What a loving shitshow. Episode fails to resume playback after the 3rd commercial break (audio only). After clearing the app out of memory I got it to resume once, but the progress bar is screwed up and closing the app and trying to resume throws me back to the original point of failure and I just get more commercials. Basically, I can't watch this show on their own app.

I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, I even subscribed to their stupid service, but this is just a laughable experience. Sad thing is, it was working fine for the first half of the episode then...total poo poo.

Edit: Phone is a Mate 9 (decently powerful) running Android Nougat and my service is more than capable of streaming FHD60fps video.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I ran it on a laptop in a hotel with mediocre Internet and it didn't mess up or anything

Maybe it's just their mobile app? I was originally set to watch it on YouTube TV, and that was working fine but I had something come up and had to stop. That's why I tried watching it on the app. I guess I'll try again when it get home.

drat these assholes for just not putting it on Netflix here.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

So the All Access app is just screwy with commercials, upgrading to the commercial free plan and playback is great on mobile. Get hosed CBS.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Well, I finally got to watching the second part of the premiere, and....I liked it? I feel like it could end up being more 'Trek: 'The Expanse'" than any Star Trek I've ever known, but I'm okay with that. The special effects were quite lovely, but the added lens flare/bloom and stupid tilty cam shots were completely unnecessary and cheapen the drama imo. I think the Klingon unification story is actually kind of entertaining considering they were a joke at times in the previous shows.

I'll say this without a doubt, I liked this a hell of a lot more than the Voyager and Enterprise pilots. Full stop.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Tighclops posted:

The Expanse had flawed but more importantly likable characters and a plausible, compelling fictional world with a strong visual design language to support it from episode one though

STD feels weak in these areas so I feel comparisons aren't terribly apt

Maybe I was just feeling a visual similarity. I didn't like The Expanse at first until about halfway into the first season. After that I was engrossed in the characters and story arcs. If ST:D could pull that kind of storytelling off, I think it could be pretty good. Of course, it's way early right now, but the show has enough going for it to keep me watching.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I'm one of the saps paying for commercial-free All Access to watch this, and while this seems like a somewhat promising futuristic space sci-fi show, it ain't Star Trek, and I don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

That last episode of Orville was quite enjoyable though. Family Guy in Space is better Trek than actual Star Trek which just tickles me. It's a future that so far I would like to live in.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 2, 2017

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Raere posted:

When she mentioned her special needs I thought she'd say she was on the spectrum

Nah, it's just obstructive sleep apnea and goddamnit we still haven't fixed the obnoxious snorers.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I want to know the conversation in the writers room that led to Burnham just suddenly reciting Alice in Wonderland.

Did they consider itsy bitsy spider maybe and having Burnham flushing the monster out of the jeffries tubes to escape? I'm like 90% sure they did.

Well in TOS they meet the white rabbit and...

It's like poetry.
It rhymes.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

mr. unhsib posted:

Hmmmm...not sure I agree.

Bless those sfx guys that made that scene, and whoever greased what palms to put it on TV. First time I saw that was a definite "what in the gently caress" moment.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I wish the forums existed when TNG came out so I could read all you nerds posting about how klingons shouldn't be dark skinned, tasha yar should never have died, and datas fake android skin wasn't lifelike enough..

Well the look of Klingon's had already been established in TMP and ST3 and Data was an approximation of a humanoid and... *faaaaaaaaart*

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Counterpoint the show is good compared to the first season of every other star trek show

For the record, I do like this show a hell of a lot more than ENT and VOY when they first came out. Especially Enterprise, that show is hot garbage no matter how many times I see it.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 2, 2017

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Drink-Mix Man posted:

And Voyager! And Enterprise's T'Pol got gently caress fever in an episode.

I had gently caress fever. Man, that was hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

:lol: at the admiral turning the lights up and almost making the ship lit halfway decent.

Also the 'most bestest starfleet captains ever' list. Jonathan loving Archer, really? Way to set the bar low.