Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Good twist. The light sensitivity thing is a little hack and unnecessary.

I wonder if they're going to make a full jump to the mirror universe now. Burnham takes the mirror Discovery, forms a new resistance against Emporer Lorca and maybe sends Saru back to the regular universe with the cloaking data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I want a whole episode about how mirror Lorca pulled this off.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
TNG showed tons of parallel universes. We're calling it mirror unvierse, but it doesn't necessarily have to be THAT mirror universe.

Edit: Oh wait the Defiant was there.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
L'Rell, that was a loving stupid plan

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Echo Chamber posted:

That episode went by quickly, which is a sign that I enjoyed it.

Also a sign that it was 38 minutes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't think Lorca had a plan from the beginning for this. I think he's just freestyling.

L'Rell, however, had a very very bad plan.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

The only character names I can remember from this show are Michael, lorca, stamets, Ash, voq, and lrell. I can't remember any others. I have to rack my brain to remember sarus name. I wish I could remember the hot bridge chick with the cybernetic head thing because she is my wife on this show.

Captain Killy? Come on now

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ramadu posted:

What if they never go back to the prime universe and that's why no ones ever heard of them

This also gets Burnham out of her life sentence. All the resistance leadership just died, so there's an opening ...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Were Andorians a big deal in TOS? They come up a lot in Discovery, and I was surprised to find out they're like 1950s antenna aliens. Explains why you never see their goofy asses in TNG/DS9.

You get the feeling they're like a foundational race in the Federation backstory and then every production post-TOS was like, "gently caress that, they look stupid."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ohhhhhh, it's an ENT thing. Neat

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Wow. That looks loving awful.

It's the opening 2 minutes or so of a Black Mirror episode. The rest of it doesn't have whatever effects led to that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm unclear on why Stamets waking up would also wake up Mirror Stamets. Did Mirror Staments explain that?

Or did Mirror Stamets already know how to wake up, and he just went in there so he could pull Prime Stamets out for later use?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Does Mirror Georgio say that the empire discarded the notion of equality millennia ago?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

well...yes. These are not sincere metaphysics suppositions itt

No, somewhere out there there's a mirror universe me with a goatee who is good at posting.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

drat that looks good. I wonder why Lorca still gives a poo poo about Michael.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Maybe he wants to take the Empire's show on the road and sees her as key to returning to the prime universe.

Yeah or maybe he wants the Discovery

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There were a lot of legs coming up from the bottom of the frame in ways that didn't seem possible in that fight scene.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Obviously Mike's going to use that super awesome insight she gained from Mirror Voq that ??? and then she'll make peace with the Klingons.

Ramadu posted:

fat homely girl

Hey now ... come on man ...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hahaha, loving logic terrorists that's so goddamn stupid

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

shovelbum posted:

Yeah Detmer is awesome especially because she seems bitter and hates Michael

also why is she named Michael like I heard it was some guy's "signature" or some poo poo?

I think Bryan Fuller often has female characters with male names.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm shocked Mirror Michael didn't come back from the dead.

I guess it's still not out of the question. Seems unlikely now that they've left the MU.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

- lol "surfing the blast wave" fukken star trek LOVES to surf the blast wave. soon as they were talking about the bomb being too close i knew i SHOUTED in real life "they gonna modulate the shield and suff the drat blast wave" and guess what? they did. ask my neighbor.

That was like the cheapest of drama too. It got a good speech out of Saru, but it was just over in one scene.

"Oh no, we're going to die if we blow up the Charon."

*next scene*

"I redid the scans and no we're not"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

That's not unique to Discovery. In Star Trek VI:

Kirk: Where is the peace conference?

Spock: *mind-rapes Valeris* She does not know.

A beat passes.

Spock: Oh, just call Excelsior, they'll know where it is.

Yeah, stuff like that happens in every TV show.

I just particularly liked the idea that the Discovery crew was going to have to cope with a suicide mission they really had no choice but to execute, and then that drama got deflated immediately.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Michael is going to make peace with the Klingons, and the Klingons will insist that she remain as their main point of contact or something like that, so Starfleet can't throw her in prison.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress, I always forget.

gently caress me

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cingulate posted:

Original Ent-C/"Ambassador" design is a nice bridge between Excelsior and Galaxy:

I like the window lights like a skyscraper at night. It gives it scale the other ships never have. That thing looks loving enormous.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Everybody on this show is a tactical genius because they all understand that the ultimate move is just showing up and then fistfighting your opponent. Art of War.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
If everything alive everywhere relies on the spore network, then everything is hosed. There are infinity universes, someone out there will destroy it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

In general, a lot of schlocky genre media needs to learn that sometimes you can set the stakes some quanta lower than THE SURVIVAL OF THE UNIVERSE or THE FATE OF THE EARTH or whatever, and if you make us care about the characters we're even more invested.

Yeah, once it gets to that point the viewer goes "Well, they aren't going to destroy the universe," and then all the tension is gone.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ, Starfleet admirals are the dumbest motherfuckers.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So Michael was only free on Lorca's command. I guess Admiral Dumbass is covering her now?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm bummed Captain Killy was immediately murked by Klingons.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They keep murdering the side characters who have speaking roles. There seems to be a very small main cast that will definitely stick around. It's just Mike, Saru, Stamets, Tilly and maybe Tyler.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

I still don't understand why in the hell they thought it was a good idea to say they turned Voq's body into a human, like the pure insanity that would require to work but somehow not be detected just doesn't even begin to make sense, it's both super advanced but super barbaric because the way he describes it he was awake and they did it with like hand tools.

Yeah, it doesn't make any sense that the medical staff wouldn't be able to tell.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Not confirmed so much as presumed. It's Star Trek, anyone who hasn't been vaporized on screen is still potentially alive.

Mirror Lorca got disintegrated, and I'm still pretty sure he's gonna show up as a spore monster if this show goes on long enough.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

I may give it another shot, then. My impression has been that STD is a very well made, well written, well acted show that is completely joyless and unfun to watch.

It gets more fun and more poorly written.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

FYI, Bryan Fuller has left his role as show runner and executive producer for Apple's reboot of Amazing Stories.

Evidently he wanted to go in the direction of grim dark for AS, but Apple wanted the show to be more middle of the road so he left over creative differences.

He also left American Gods. I dunno if he's hard to work with or just very principled or what

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I liked the season overall, but that ending was hot, hot garbage.

They let Gorgiou go instead of having a cool climactic fight with her over the device. They didn't have to mutiny; Starfleet just changed its mind after a stern talking to. Admiral Crazypant should have been jailed for sponsoring that plan to begin with. I don't really care if they ruin Sarek, but boy did this make him look like a loving psycho. Saru pointedly didn't get promoted to captain, and they jammed an Enterprise appearance in for no reason.

I know they were flying by the seat of their pants with the writing, having to make a bunch of big changes super late, but it really fell apart that last episode.

Still, best first season of a Star Trek since DS9, right?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, TOS was a saturday and sunday staple of my childhood. It was shown noon on saturdays and 3pm on another channel, and I watched the poo poo out of it. This was the 80s, but by the time TNG came along, TOS was basically forgotten outside of the movies. Anyone under 40 grew up on TNG if they're a Trek fan, which is why I am perplexed that all reboots recently have been TOS based. While Kirk and Spock are cultural icons, that's about it. When people talk about Trek, its TNG they are talking about.

And even from a money production point of view, TNG was the height of Trek's popularity.

TOS movies were probably watched by a lot more people than the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

What if the tribble came with him from the mirror universe? What if it was an evil tribble?!? What if that one tribble was the source of all tribbles in our universe?!?!?!? :aaa:

In the mirror universe, tribbles are like pandas and endangered because they won't gently caress.

Oh wait, tribbles don't gently caress anyway