Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

Jason Issacs is always the bad guy; that's a given but they didn't even bother to hide or try and make it obscure; nope just straight up 'wants to make a monster his pet'. Haha we get it, it's an analogy for Michael. Yet another show that treats it's audience like they're idiots so they spell everything out and ruin it.

So then it's par for the Trek course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I don't have high hopes for Burnham, mostly because Martin-Green doesn't seem to understand how to act like a (half-)Vulcan. Sarek and Spock are calm and collected and respectable at all times. Martin-Green exudes sneering, pubescent pseudo-apathy at all times. Besides being off-putting, it just doesn't make sense in context.

What are you talking about? Spock has always been a condescending sarcastic rear end in a top hat who takes great pleasure in making passive-aggressive racist comments about humans. He's willingly obtuse to avoid conversations or to prove a point, and even snuck a peek at Mudd's women as they were leaving a room one time. Sarek on the other hand held a grudge against his son for 18 years because he didn't want to be Sarek Junior, speaks for his wife, and loses it on Kirk after finding out they left his son on Genesis. If anything she learnt from the best.

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 24, 2017

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

marktheando posted:

Another good episode. As someone who hates the whole Sarek angle I have to admit they did a good job of it in this episode.

Nobody has even seen a Romulan at this point though. Nobody knows they are related to Vulcans.

Logic extremists are fine, because they are extremely stupid nonsense they fit in to established Vulcan culture.

The first thing both Spocks say after the cat's outta the bag in the respective timelines is "welp we share a common ancestry". It's just typical Vulcan rear end in a top hat secrecy.

But for the purposes of the audience they wouldn't know, and that would require a contrite, convoluted explanation to make it okay.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

pik_d posted:

A whole fleet of tardigrades are going to drop out of fluidicspore space and gently caress poo poo up and that'll answer that.

Honestly quite probably. I'm loving this show but I can see a few places they can make it essentially a remake of TOS: we've already had a new Mudd episode, a new Devil in the Dark episode, and a new Journey to Babel. It wouldn't be a stretch to have a new Trouble with Tribbles (to out Voq) and a new Errand of Mercy (to end the war and get rid of the network)

As an aside, wasn't there a book where the Romulans during the war were able to hack Starfleet ships, leading Starfleet to making everything less automated and more manual? They could copy that thread at some point to explain why everything in TOS was all analog looking.

Also how did Kahless make his batleth if the Klingons don't have any hair?

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 26, 2017

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Isometric Bacon posted:

But because he's a TOS character that must appear again, they had to do some wierd reset where everything wraps up. So his 'punishment' for commandeering a starship and murdering it's crew is going back to his loving wife and rich father in law to serve his time in slight discomfort. It was a weird Scooby Doo ending that only served the purpose of setting the base for a completely tonally different telelvision series from the 60s with no real relevance to the plot established here.

A lot of people have been calling Mudd's TOS account of Stella another one of his lies, but the new one honestly left the impression of being a huge controlling bitch behind closed doors. Her facial expressions at least told me that. She's obviously not going to do it in front of daddy or the Starfleet folks but I have no doubt she's reaming him out when they get home. Usually crazy attracts crazy.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

He doesn't actually murder anyone in the end, and the time he tried to steal the Enterprise and almost got all of humanity enslaved by robots was resolved by being left behind on a planet with five hundred robot versions of his bitchy wife. It's the logical progression.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

ookiimarukochan posted:

Rogue One was made ~40 years after Star Wars and managed to match up to the older "look" perfectly well, maybe it's you that's the idiot.

But that was a boring bad movie that seems completely superfluous in retrospect. Also, note how weird and out of place Vader's costume seems on modern film compared to all the poo poo that wasn't cheap 70s plastic

This episode was the first where I was kinda "ehhh". I liked to that we got to go to a weird alien planet but did they need to pick blue for this particular palette? Give me my purple skies for my energy being planets, dammit!

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

A New Hope already looked a million times better than TOS stylings. This is a dumb comparison.

Like, I guess that it would be cool to make a modern show with those stylings but it would be laughed off television.

To be fair it wouldn't really be that hard to update the visuals while keeping them true to the look, considering you can chalk any increase in detail up to the fact that TOS and TNG (when it showed TOS stuff) was low enough quality that you might just not have been "able" to see details.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Slavishly recreating a 1966 tightly-budgeted television production design for an earnest futuristic science fiction piece is never not going to land visually like a gag; like parody in TYOOL 2017. It sort of works for the Family Guy Trek to do the bland beige TNG style 80's corridors because it's a deliberate pastiche.

If you want to look at someone recreating the colorful plywood, unlabeled buttons, celophane screens, and blinky lights Enterprise bridge, I think there's still two really lovingly made fan-series... if the rules Axanar's excesses forced on them didn't drive them out of production, I don't really follow that sort of thing.

There was fake plastic wood in the second Mudd episode of Discovery! I noticed last night on a rewatch.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

So there's some tie-in novel that explains the differences between the Discovery and the Enterprise:

quote:

"addressed the difference in the ships' aesthetics to a human tendency to want to redesign even the simplest things every few years." The differences in technology were also explained: "I posited that the use of subspace holograms had fallen out of favor by the time the Enterprise was built because the holograms were bandwidth hogs on subspace channels and prone to encryption flaws. And while the interfaces on the Shenzhou's bridge look fancier, the characters who serve on the Enterprise feel proud that their ship is so advanced that it doesn’t need all these gadgets to get the job done." Regarding uniforms, "the crews of the Enterprise and other Constitution-class ships are considered elite units, so they’ve been issued special "diplomatic" uniforms to designate their status."

I can buy this explanation, even if the book itself were to be bad.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Example of the exact Star Trek fan even Mike "I'd Like To Bring Up Star Trek" Stoklasa makes fun of:

quote:

It was to be expected that, unlike Star Trek Enterprise, Discovery would not respect the look of the original USS Enterprise NCC-1701. Their Enterprise is described as an "olive branch to fans concerned about old-school canon". Well, I am such a fan, and to me it is a further slap in the face. Like everything else that the producers deemed dated, the ship was redesigned to fit with the reimagination dictate of the series.

How dare it not be as accurate as a cheap shoestring 3D model from 2006!!

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

bull3964 posted:

As someone who has seen the original model in person after restoration, gently caress anyone who says it looks "cheap."

I'm not talking about the original TV model (which you can do lighting things with to make look fancy and dramatic) but the CGI one from the 40th anniversary

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I really don't think that's accurate, the new ship looks nice and faithful for the most part and those blue sides of the nacelles were always intended for the 60s version. Obviously the ship is going to need to fit the newer aesthetic of the DISCO design or it will stick out. Even the Defiant has minor differences between the appearance in Remastered TOS and Enterprise (mostly the bussard ramscoops)

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

It's not so much that it looks like poo poo so much that I think the gross under-aztecing you see in a lot of the older film (especially on the kitbash ships used for destroying models like Constellation) makes it look flat and cheap, like plastic or painted wood. So when you have people who are too faithful to that aesthetic, like the ones who did the 2006 CGI shots, it isn't believable as a modern vision of a starship. Do note that the 2006 TOS-R shots predate the Smithsonian restoration.

While I don't really get why the used the swept pylons if the whole point was to preserve canon, having them just straight pillars gives the impression that they're flimsy. Like it or not the JJ Trek ship at least made the form of the ship look a bit more believable because they were curvy and had mass.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Frionnel posted:

I'm honestly glad they didn't go further with the 2006 CGI. It's supposed to belong in TOS, not show "a modern vision of a starship" that would have clashed with everything else in the show.

It's definitely more appropriate for that show given the instances of the real model appearing on set in some episodes (I think it gets shrunk an trapped in a crystal block at one point?). Would have been nice if they could have reshot the scenes with real models.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I don't think he meant to say it looks like poo poo, but rather that it should be flushed away AS poo poo

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Which really would have meant something if the viewer was ever given reason to care about the ship.

One thing the reboot movies utterly failed to do is make the ship a character. There's absolutely zero bond between Kirk and his ship. It's just a setting that's there to be clowned on by the enemy to create stakes.

Search for Spock remains the top one because Kirk CHOSE to sacrifice his ship for his 'family.' That actually had emotional impact.

TBH I've never felt the ship was its own 'character', at least in a way the new movies didn't try, except when Kirk was calling it a beautiful lady

quote:

On screen I don't have anything to say it has or hasn't happened. My big question watching this was "I don't know ST canon very well, but I feel like a war of this magnitude before TOS would be an event we'd have heard about" that never seemed to connect and then their answer at the end of the season was "lets act like this never happened".
Uhh the depletion of resources is the reason all their poo poo suddenly looks like a TV set from the 60s and they can never seem to get enough dilithium crystals for the rest of the century

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Feb 23, 2018

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

So people are bitching about the new Spock being a less fully-formed one, like what we saw in the Cage and kinda in the first two Kelvin movies. Would they be more comfortable if he was wearing a Cage turtleneck and in a plastic set? I think if they're gonna use the guy (which they should if they can do it right) it's more interesting to show us his earlier self than just jump into the TOS one we saw already

it does beg the question though, do they only intend on ever recasting Spock as a young dude? Is it too out of the realm of possibility we'll see someone, even Quinto, do a middle-aged or older Spock one day?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

This is what happens when you radically change one of the most popular things in the franchise. It's like if JJ Abrams decided that Jedi actually shot people with force powered guns rather than lightsabers and Chewie is now a lizard that speaks clear english with a Gambit accent when he made TFA.

Trek right now feels like its where Video game movies are and comic movies pre-Iron Man, where the people making them are all "no one likes the old stuff, we gotta update everything for the kids! But we're totally going to tie it into the stuff that already exists to sucker in the greybeards!".

Also the continued obsession with TOS is really misplaced. I've said it many times, but people might know Kirk and Spock, but outside of Kirk likes to gently caress and Spock has pointy ears and goes "Illogical". Guys like me who grew up on TNG are way more into that whole universe as it was much more realized between TNG and DS9 and for a lesser extent Voyager. Why not build off that? I feel like maybe Paramount owns TOS stuff and TNG stuff is owned by the writers and directors and therefor they wouldn't make as much money from it.

There are less "guys like you" also. Wayne Campbell once said:

quote:

It's a lot like Star Trek: The Next Generation. While in many ways it's superior, it will never be as recognized as the original.

Plus the Klingons have gone through a lot of changes. Also fashion worldwide shifts dramatically; it would be illogical for an entire species to dress the same from one decade to the next, much less one century.

I also find it interesting that people miss the irony of stating that the Klingons don't look like Klingons while simultaneously saying we never see how the Klingons are not "remaining Klingon" up to that point. Maybe the weirdo obsession with a bald Kahless is how T'Kuvma feels the Klingons have missed the forest for the trees; caring more about the 'canon' of Klingon lore than what it means to be a Klingon in spirit.

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 19, 2018

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

"Federation" is just some vague boogeyman that is a stand-in for whatever bullshit T'Kuvma wants them to rally behind to fight, like if someone were to be like "multicuturalism! bad!". It doesn't matter if it's really threatening or not, it has name recognition but is broad enough a term to mean what you want it to mean.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Tighclops posted:

When it comes to news about this stuff we get to pick between corporate astroturf and nerd nazis apparently

See: Ex Astris Scientia, which while a very well detailed website that has a lot of cool facts from both in front and behind the camera, is run by an incredible rear end in a top hat stuck in 2004.

quote:

Yea but it wasn't whole hog TOS, though I'm sure a lot of season 1 and 2 episodes are leftover TOS scripts.
Quite literally! "The Child" was in fact from Phase II, meant to use Ilia rather than Troi. Decker and Ilia by the way are just Riker and Troi.

So internally, TNG still owes much to how much it aped off TOS and what was supposed to be TOS2.

Now if they ever translated Kitumba into a modern Discovery plot...that would make for an epic loving arc. Give us more Klingon poo poo that isn't what we've seen!

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 15, 2019

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

HorseRenoir posted:

"logic terrorist" is one of the dumbest phrases I have ever heard

I thought the term was 'logic extremist', which isn't entirely farfetch'd? We had that in Enterprise.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Seems like extremism would be, you know, illogical.

Vulcans are assholes. Them thinking they're superior and shouldn't have anything to do with humans goes back to the very beginning where Spock wouldn't even talk about how his species fucks with his best friend until he went psycho. There were separatists in TNG also.

Oh by the way this is cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCPdmOuzYrM

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

If decades of Trek canon is too much trouble to deal with then make something that isn't Trek. That's fine. Maybe call it The Wilbur or something.

There's no reasonable argument to use an existing IP and then ignore everything about it. The only possible reason is to try to coast on the recognizable name for marketing. Which certainly is done but unless you're the one making money off it I don't know why you'd support it.

They're ignoring about as much of it as the Doctor Who reboot did of the 63 show.

It's interesting how the TARDIS can change its outer appearance between shots (let alone seasons) and no one bats an eyelash, despite the circuit making it a blue box is literally broken.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I'm baffled that people think the one character who made it from pilot to show, into a potential guest star role for a show that never wound up airing to movie, then back from the dead the movie after he dies, onto the Next Generation after they jettison the Vulcan focus, and then into not one but two movies after the actor retires, was not going to be featured in a series set in the time period he's famous for and where he's related to the main character. To recap, this character is as close to an iconic main character as you can get for the series, down to the fact that he's one half of the original slashfiction duo and insanely relatable and recognizable within greater pop culture.

Like it or not, Spock epitomizes Star Trek. What you're expecting is the equivalent of a new Pokemon game where Pikachu isn't present at all.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I don't think the character is any more overused than Godzilla or Doctor Who (sci fi giants of comparable age), and to say no one has come close to measuring up to Nimoy is kinda insulting to a guy who's appeared in maybe 30 seconds of preview footage so far (since the only other Spock is Quinto, and even he was personally mentored by the man)

The optimism and lack of conflict thing is more from the drug-fried brain era of Roddenberry anyhow. The main trio argued to some extent nearly every episode, Spock had more than one officer be a racist dickhead to his face, and even Pike wasn't especially comfortable with women on the bridge in his debut appearance. Heck I can count about three TOS episodes where the premise is basically "the crew fights".

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 20, 2019

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Peachfart posted:

By far the most popular Star Trek was TNG

If that's the case why do they keep making TOS and TOS-era poo poo?

Though in many ways superior, it will never be as recognized. Let's not forget the high point of TOS's cinematic run was its fourth movie; for TNG, that was its death rattle.

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 21, 2019

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Let's also not forget TNG was basically just TOS 2.0 in its early run - Riker = Decker+Kirk, Troi = Ilia, and Data = Xon. They even cribbed its old scripts!

TNG also had the really awkward trend of using stuff from the movies (ships and uniforms) despite supposedly being 100 years later. Star Trek has always been derivative, right down to using its own pilot to pad out the first season. Imagine the uproar if Discovery did a glorified clip show in its first season using The Vulcan Hello!

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

I like that, because it implies a level of maturity and stability by that time. Much the same as the B-52 bomber is probably going to see a full century of service.

Yeah but goes down the shitter by the time the TNG/DS9/TNG-movie designs start popping up.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

Agreed. The impossibly geometry fold out thing was a genuine embarrassment for any SciFi show regardless of the universe. No effects artist likes making poo poo like that, they know its hokey and impossible. it would have been out of place in a 1993 episode of Power Rangers, but at least it would have been acceptable in that era. There's no way every artist that had a hand in this didn't try to push it in a more mechanical direction, starting out larger and ending up smaller so it actually looked like the end result could fold and fit into the box, but some idiot forced them to make it magic.

Your loving explanation is right there in universe. It fits in the box with mathematically perfect efficiency, and doesn't need to waste space with tools or folding joints because it just gets "built" on the fly with teleporter technology. Done. Explained and we move on and you get a maguffin auto assembler

It's Capsule Corp level tech in the era of giant dinosaur head cave-gods and green space hands. These kinds of hokey effects are at least more befitting of this era than they would be on TNG, which is the era I think everyone conflates with the 'Star Trek look' along with the films.

quote:

Star Trek: Detective Spock

I loving wish

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 23, 2019

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

e; woops I'm apparently geriatric

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I didn't love this episode but it presumably did its job of setting things up for next week and beyond, which I'll forgive only because this is a serialized program. I don't give a poo poo about nitpicky things like marathons or the blob coming out of Tilly, but the entire affair just dragged on way too much. I didn't even hate the Klingon stuff because it was nice to see them fighting and killing like they tend to - of all things it was actually the Disco A Plot that I found myself scratching my head at!

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Windows 98 posted:

Thank loving god they got Tyler out of Klingon stuff. That poo poo was embarrassing. Praying that next episode him and his stupid non existent chin and Ray Romano demeanor will get killed off completely.

I thought my friends and I were the only ones to call him Ray Romano. We yell "DEBRRRRRRRRRRRA!" every time he shows up.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

The Bloop posted:

+1

The sphere and Saru's people are just two more reasons this shouldn't be a prequel. 10,000 year old hyper intelligent living planet gives us all its accumulated knowledge so as to not be forgotten? Better not ever mention that again lmbo

Right, because that certainly never happened on Star Trek TOS - like when they get the cure for thousands of diseases (including the one McCoy has in the same episode) from an asteroid or when the All Our Yesterdays planet explodes or when the crazy house with Garth in it figures out how to stop every mental illness.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Taear posted:

TOS is random weird poo poo with no overarching connection just like most 60s stuff.

I can't reconcile that into the category of bad. While it's cute to nod at things and certainly enjoyable for longtime fans of a work, it's certainly not realistic to expect everything to be intact "historically" especially for the purposes of brand. I for one have longed for Pike and Number One to get their own adventures since I saw The Cage, and if that means it'll be with the same regard for 'canon' and 'universe' to tell some good stories...I'm in.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Astroman posted:

Pike: "...and you know what else I hate besides holograms? Something else we need to change on this ship?" :quagmire:

Though to be fair to Kirk, I'm pretty sure he never actually dated or attempted to romance someone serving on his ship...unlike Picard or Seth MacFarlane on The Orville.

There's a great one of Kirk telling McCoy something of interest and then a foxy little Yeoman brings something to him and he trails off before eyefucking her back to the conn and giving Bones a cheeky chad smile.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Chickenwalker posted:

I mean that's fine. There are good moments in there. I just see this really disturbing trend of sci-fi writers really putting very little effort into their scripts and then people who consume the media doing poo poo like equating anyone who criticizes it with MAGA dudes, and it's a negative feedback loop where it's going to keep getting worse and worse and worse.

That hasn't happened here, but have you considered that making GBS threads out hyperbole about a thing you hate watch on a weekly basis might be the source of this type of reaction?

The environment of this episode was excellent and colorful, something I love and missed from the JJ Abrams movies where they didn't even have the balls to give Vulcan a cartoonishly red sky. I'm probably one of the people not on board with Jett Reno - I'm sure the actress is a nice lady but I find her constant quippiness kind of annoying, as if the directors know she's a comedian and just get her to improvise whatever the gently caress. It seemed painfully obvious that last week's episode was written around the time Bowie and Prince died, but it turns out that was back in 2016 so I don't know why they shoehorned those two specific musicians in the span of 25 minutes.

quote:

I could see how really stupid people would prefer this format.
If you're interested in slice of life in space, watch Dark Star. That movie has had a few moments seemingly referenced on the show already (trying to contain an alien blob, etc). Other than that, I don't really give a poo poo about what's happening in their downtime or whatever just like I wouldn't care about a TOS episode of just Kirk and Spock playing chess for 45 minutes. It's fine for establishing a story but it gets old really fast to some people, who happen to not be really stupid.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Exaggeration for rhetorical or comic effect? Well I never!

making GBS threads out hyperbole is my right as a viewer. The over the top "people who disagree with my opinion are stupid dumb babies" might be an example of that. Obviously it's hitting some target of people who feel the need to haunt the thread to tell you it sucks.

If it's for comic effect it actually has to be funny, not foaming at the mouth because someone dared like something you did not.

I'll tell you right now this show is still smarter than half the poo poo that came out of the third season of TOS, first two seasons of TNG, or entirety of Voyager. Those are what constitute Bad Trek, not the fact that people aren't sitting around eating cheeseburgers with habenero sauce more than once an episode.

quote:

I'm glad you like this show, but I have to tell you something important: you don't like star trek
This Star Trek was Good Trek enough to warrant the return of Old Guy Trek, which is also good.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Wheezle posted:

Not to defend the unfair comparisons with the MAGA crowd, but you do understand the reason for this, right?

A *shitload* of the hate for this show is 100% political. In addition to the general "SJW" and "Forced diversity" stuff (i.e. the existence of black people and gay people), there's a whole bunch of people who never forgave the show for that photo of the cast all taking a knee. To this day every Discovery-related post from the Star Trek page on Facebook gets flooded with angry reacts and people whining about SJWs etc.

Through all that noise it can be really hard to tell if someone's making a good-faith criticism of the show.

It's actually incredible this blew up more than Shatner kissing Nichols back in '69.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I don't think you can call me neither pure nor woke but I'll be damned if Star Trek isn't going to have black people or gay people or other people who don't look like me. It's amazing that this is a complaint from Star Trek viewers of all things, but I guess it isn't surprising. This poo poo goes beyond just goons clearly which is fascinating to find out as I didn't know the knee thing happened until I read about it on here a few hours ago.