Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
^^^:yeah:

For what it's worth I'm pretty sure our main character is either a commander or lieutenant commander, sources have waffled a bit on that but I don't think that she is a regular ol' lieutenant given that she is being groomed for command and will presumably get it sooner rather than later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The pips are on the delta badge now and captains get extra gold epaulets on the shoulders. I can't remember if there's TOS style sleeve bands or not.

There are not.

Squinting at the picture of Burnham in the OP, it looks to me like she has three for a full commander. But it may be subject to change, I suppose.

e: if CBS cared about ratings, they would be airing the whole show! I doubt ratings will tell us much apart from that nobody is ever going to get the ratings peak that was "Aquiel" back

skasion fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 22, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

He also didn't tell Kirk and McCoy that Sarek was his dad until Kirk unwittingly brought it up.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I have no hope whatsoever that this will fit neatly into established canon since they clearly weren't concerned in the least with accomplishing that (and probably shouldn't really have been since established canon is pretty incoherent and stupid). If it is a half-decent space opera that can maintain a Treklike feel, I will consider that we came out ahead, though I don't have much hope of that from what we've seen.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Bloop posted:

I really, really don't think the fanbase's problem with the prequel trilogy was "too much politics"

"nobody wants to hear about the taxation of outlying trade routes and votes of no confidence" is definitely a complaint that people have seriously made about the SW prequels. Mind you people, sometimes the same people, have also criticized them for being too juvenile and silly.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

bob human being posted:

Is this going to be a good place to start from? I haven't watched any Star Trek before.

Who knows. It is a prequel so probably assumes you know what Vulcans, Klingons, warp drive etc are, but doesn't seem to have any real connection to the plots of the older shows so yeah, might as well start here I guess.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

which ones are you talking about exactly

Heart of Glory is good
Hide and Q, Arsenal of Freedom are cheesy fun
Conspiracy just because
Where No One Has Gone Before and Datalore are both important for arcs down the line

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Firebert posted:

11001001 is a very good early TNG episode and there's a good callback to it in season 4 or 5

Oh yeah good call. I was trying to think if the one with Minuet was in S1 or 2, but then I couldn't remember the name.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

I'm pretty sure the thing that some people (and I assume you're referring to RLM here) don't like about the dumb political stuff in the prequels is the fact that episode 1 just kind of cold opens with space taxes and doesn't really bother to explain itself, or even introduce anything resembling a protagonist, until maybe half way through the movie. Even then none of the characters are really very sympathetic or well characterized, so the entire thing just ends up being a giant puddle of who cares. RLM's criticism that the movie is too juvenile and silly is also in line with the space taxes and poor characterization thing, because the film bounces between cardboard cutouts discussing space taxes and jar jar binks stepping in poop and making funny noises.

I don't watch RLM so I don't know what that guy thinks. Im not gonna expound on Star Wars feelings at length in this thread but I don't think "it's a cold open and expects me to care about the plot of the movie for some reason, wtf" is a very meaningful criticism. The original Star Wars' opening is cold as gently caress after all.

e: also I'm not sure but I feel what you mean here is more that it opens in medias res than that it's a cold open. Cold opens are more like what Star Trek has, where there's like a teaser and then the opening titles/credits.

skasion fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 24, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

My favorite thing about TPM is that so little of it matters that you could easily just go straight into AotC and not really miss much of anything

The Naboo stuff doesn't matter. The Trade Federation becomes a footnote in Episodes 2 and 3 as they get rolled into being Sidious' pawns along with the Geonosians. Padme and Anakin barely interact much in TPM so you don't miss anything with that. Darth Maul, for all of the buildup we get with him, is irrelevant after TPM. Qui Gon is only in TPM to die and convince Obi Wan to train Anakin even though the Jedi Counsel knows it's a bad idea.

Really the only major thing is that Jar Jar somehow becomes a Senator and casts the deciding vote to create the Empire, because of course he does

Also that Anakin is born a slave and the Jedi tear his family apart and treat him like poo poo, fostering a burning resentment towards the social order that eventually leads him to commit mass murder and become the antichrist.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Trek has been successful enough that it ran into a kind of unusual problem for sci-fi stories, where people are still trying to work with it long past the point where it ceases to make sense as a "possible future" and has to be considered as an "alternate history" type story instead. We are now closer in time to the time when Star Trek says the warp drive will be invented, than we are to the time when Star Trek first aired. It kind of puts the backstory up a creek because if they try and stick to what previous installments have established then we're watching a show set in a bizarre parallel universe where the 90s was dominated by genetically enhanced warlords, the IRA successfully reunited Ireland through terrorism, and the USSR existed into the 24th century. On the other hand everything you change is another impediment to suspension of disbelief in a franchise that already needs it in spades, and decreases the coherence of the work with the work of which it is derivative.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I guess that's not terrible. Not spectacular either though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Oh dear

quote:

We have a moment where three of our scientists have just pulled off the most incredible thing ever. They are talking about concepts that are so above everybody else’s head, and one of them says, “This is so loving cool.” And she’s a cadet, and she’s catches herself, and she looks at her boss, because oh my God, she just dropped an F-bomb. And her boss, played by Anthony Rapp, turns to her and says, “You’re right, cadet — this is loving cool.” So in a moment like that, where I feel like we’re celebrating smarts and people who are at the top of their game. It’s rare when we’ll do it, but if we do it, we want to make it feel organic.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Lol, Menosky got a credit?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wow, Burnham is an rear end in a top hat.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I get what they're going for with the Klingon subs but most of the actors are doing a bad job reading Klingon. Stilted and flat.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Tbh Georgiou would be more than justified in just shooting her right there, assaulting and incapacitating your commanding officer so you can mutinously start a shooting war as a show of force is reprehensible act.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The consoles are still full of fireworks, this really is Star Trek

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

FTL katra chat? Might come in handy

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

So far I'm rooting for T'Kuvma

-made something of himself from difficult childhood
-friend to the downtrodden and oppressed
-speaks truth to power
-supports a strong central government instead of fuddy duddy aristos
-runs his space boat into other space boats

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Lmao Georgiou "when you first came on board you were such an rear end in a top hat, and I thought I could make you less of an rear end in a top hat. How wrong I was, rear end in a top hat"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wow, this plan is kind of morally repulsive

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Haha that will teach those filthy browns to respect the bodies of the slain

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

What a twist. Who could have seen this coming.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Well, the show has some pretty good production values, and that's about all I can say in its favor so far. Granted that these 2 episodes are just the introduction, the rest of the show could be better, but it doesn't do it for me at all. I don't care about canon at all really so inconsistencies with other series are a big whatever for me, but taken on its own merits, I don't like this show very much. Characters are mostly either dull or straightforwardly unlikable, the soundtrack sucks (the triumphant swelling of music as Burnham attempts to talk a computer out of spacing her by inaction is unintentionally quite funny), the dialogue is nothing special, the moral landscape of the show is ugly, the effects and makeup are a very mixed bag, the cinematography is flash crap (drink for every Dutch angle), and in general I see no reason at all why this had to be a Star Trek show rather than some other franchise.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I'm gonna be honest I was trolling with that earlier T'Kuvma post, but I think it's really uncomfortable that T'Kuvma's ability to recognize a common humanity (or Klingonity) with a guy of a different skin color is juxtaposed with Burnham claiming outright that Klingons are necessarily savages who won't accept peace, being told she should set aside her bigotry, and then being proven right.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Tighclops posted:

As a fan the only parts I like are the cute little references that only people like me would catch (certain sound FX, the number 47) but anything else they're introducing is just not connecting

I mean say what you want about the other show's pilots at least they didn't struggle to hold my interest, even when they were doing boring poo poo

I was glad to hear they had the little bleep bloops from TOS console buttons yeah.

Hmm I don't know about the other pilots though. Frankly all the Trek pilots except Where No Man Has Gone Before are pretty bad representatives of their show. Broken Bow is particularly dire.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Tighclops posted:

Yeah I zoned out and I have no idea why they're on the klingon ship now

They hid a bomb on a corpse so they could board an enemy ship that had ceased fire for religious observances for the dead, and abduct its captain to use as a hostage.

Boldly going before war crimes tribunals where no man has gone before

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

Wait why does the lady have a dude name? Is it pronounced weird?

Bryan Fuller is an idiot and thinks it is interesting

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I think the most odd and offputting thing about the pilot is that there are no likable or admirable characters at all. Burnham is an unmitigated rear end in a top hat and if they don't develop her character quite a lot, I'm gonna have a hard time enjoying this show. Georgiou's character we barely get a feel for. Sarek is supercilious and doesn't have the grace or the sense of wisdom that Lenard's Sarek gave off. Saru is a persnickety coward. The closest thing to a heroic figure is T'Kuvma who for all that he's a perfidious space invader Wahhabi or whatever, at least sticks up for the little guy.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gawain The Blind posted:

hahahahaah I didn't catch this but you're right what the hell is up with that.

He probably has a chair on Vulcan

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It occurs to me that the hiding a bomb on a corpse trick has actually been used in Star Trek before. The Romulan commander jettisons a torpedo together with the body of his officer in Balance of Terror.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I dunno what to think yet, it didn't seem awful but I don't know where they're going with this. I thought it was funny all the Fed ships we saw looked cool but the Discovery is bad.

I am not sure why they couldn't hire someone to hold the camera level or why it seemed like all the Klingons were puzzling through their first read of the script but whatever. Also weird those Starfleet guys were smoking so much during the hearing.

The fact that the court martial was in a dark bare room with no witnesses AND the judges faces were hidden in shadow AND there's random smoke machine in the background made me chuckle. They went a bit too far on the menace there. It's scarier than Cardassian court.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I don't think the "new star" thing is a problem at all, that's a reasonably common way to refer to some abnormally bright celestial body, like a supernova, in layman's terms and the amount of light the beacon gave off was clearly way more than any normal star.

Mind you, I feel like you would not want to be anywhere near anything that emitted that much light, even in a starship. That's a lot of photons.

e: and yeah Star Trek doesn't do relativity 99% of the time

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

You petty assholes.

Imagine other tv shows having to deal with paedo spergs complaining about the LEDs being "wrong".

You seem to have pedophilia on the brain, maybe tone it down a bit

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

T'Kuvma comes off as pretty sympathetic in some ways. Yes he's a messianic nationalist but it's hard to feel too bad about a guy who gives a prestigious position to a member of an oppressed racial minority because he was himself bullied growing up and knows what it's like to be an outsider. They set him up as a direct parallel to Georgiou and kind of encourage us to root for his viewpoint: by making him a plucky outsider challenging a hidebound elite, by showing how he respects those who die for his cause to the point of personally overseeing their funeral rites, and by having him "gotcha" the Admiral by having him rammed, rather than just breaking the ceasefire. I don't know if I'd say the Klingons on the whole are morally ambiguous, they're obviously the villains, but watching the episode I was sad T'Kuvma died. I hope Son of None will be an interesting foil to Burnham.

e:

Tunicate posted:

Yeah the klingons are pretty clearly in the right throughout the entire episode.

I wouldn't say this seriously either, T'Kuvma still staged a border incident with the express goal of sparking galactic war in which he would be the aggressor, which is pretty hosed up.

skasion fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 25, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

If Burnham calls Sarek up every single episode I will be kind of disappointed, she's an adult and shouldn't need to phone a friend. Frain wasn't good in these episodes and it weirds me out that she has a magical telepath connection to him on top of just being able to call him on the holoskype whenever she felt like it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

HannibalBarca posted:

who was the woman (?) with the toaster for a head. my friend and I have been trying to figure this out all day. she gets taken to the med bay at the start of the battle in episode 2

Some set visit report at one point was talking about a robot character called Airiam who is Lorca's aide or something. If so it's a little odd that there's one on Shenzhou too. Maybe Lorca is just headhunting the former Shenzhou crew, though why he'd want them is beyond me. Alternatively, it could be they're standard issue.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

evilmiera posted:

Did anyone make an honest good call in these episodes?

T'Kuvma's plan isn't terrible way of accomplishing his stated goals tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Beefeater1980 posted:

As someone who doesn't know much about Star Trek, why were the Klingons so down on the Andorians? Like, that one Klingon guy goes off on rant about the Federation being comprised of Humans, Vulcans, Tellurians...and filthy Andorians," as if to say the first three are ok but Andorians? loving Andorians? gently caress those guys.

Good pilot, I really enjoyed it. Highlights were the prettiness of the visuals, the lead actress, and the science officer guy's caution being played for laughs until it gets gradually more obvious that he's right and there is something off about the whole setup.

Andorians are assholes. In Enterprise they were kind of clannish honor bound violent assholes, which made it amusing to me that Klingons wouldn't like them: too close for comfort maybe. I don't know if the line is supposed to go any deeper than that.