Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Good! I don't want to see a hopefully cured Stamets have to cope with the death of his boyfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Perhaps they also jump in time when they return to the standard universe. To ten years after the Dominion War ends for example.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I've always like the Romulan Warbird's design.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

The d'deridex? I've always hated how that big empty space makes it not make practical sense to move around the interior.

Yeah, the D'deridex. I know the design makes little sense, but it looks pretty cool. It had a weight to it, even though it was mostly empty space. It gave off an impression of power when one of these ships uncloaked, a lot more than Klingon Birds of Prey in my opinion.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Timby posted:

Keep in mind that the "Klingon" Bird of Prey was originally designed by Nilo Rodis-Jamero as a Romulan ship, but then when the script for Search for Spock was rewritten to feature Klingons, he just kept the design as is, despite the Klingons having no history of using avian imagery, because ILM's design team was loving lazy.

That's true, but the Negh'var is even less impressive.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
By the way, I've never watched any show or film that Michelle Yeoh starred in, but I'm a huge fan. Her acting is great, she wholly sold me on wise mentor Captain Georgeau, as well as ruthless Emperor Georgeau. She also looks amazing, especially as the Emperor.

In fact, most of the acting has been pretty good. Isaacs is a given, but Doug Jones does a good job with Saru, especially in the last episode. Anthony Rapp is great as Stamets, and as a gay guy, I really appreciate how he plays Stamets not as a stereotypical feminine guy, and not as a super masc "straight gay" either. The casting team did really well in choosing openly gay Rapp for this role. Sonequa Martin-Green is growing on me, I'm probably undervaluing her because of my dislike for Michael.

I hope we don't dwell too long on the Klingon war stuff, or at least have it ebb and flow, to allow for more low-stakes episodes. It would be nice if we get to know more of the bridge crew.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Peachfart posted:

Duet in DS9 is far better than anything STD has produced.

Duet is far better than anything Enterprise has produced, and it's also better than anything Voyager has produced. The Thaw comes close, but Duet is easily one of the top 10 Star Trek episodes of all time.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm way more interested in the future adventures of (captain!) Saru, Michael, Stamets and Tilly than in some Spock cameos. They could use the time better by focusing more on the other bridge crew, Detmer and co.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wasn't there an Enterprise-D like ship with three nacelles in Birth of the Federation? I thought that looked pretty decent.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Why is there a B-Wing in Star Trek?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tom Guycot posted:

I thought STD might get back on track for season 2 without the overhead of that troubled production, but again all it is is Klingon, Breen, Borg, etc. Everything they talk about in that article is basically just how they can't wait to re imagine everything from star trek without introducing anything new.

To be fair, that's the stuff that they keep getting asked about. They could still gently caress up with concentrating too much on the old races, but these could also be stock answers to keep the Trekkies happy. We will see when the new episodes come out.

By the way, I wouldn't mind a two parter resolving that hilariously unstable situation with the Klingons under L'rell, if that's all the Klingon stuff we get next season.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

maybe next season they'll have a klingon with three dicks

I have exactly three ToS era Star Trek books, and in one of them they allude to Klingons having three testicles.

I can't believe this keeps happening to the show. The second half of last season was a big improvement, and I really started to give a poo poo about most of the characters. I want this to be good, I don't want them to be stuck in production hell every loving season. Now, reduced budget need not be a catastrophe. Flashy graphic effects are not as important as good character work. The writers just have to do a little bit of work to make crew interactions interesting, and then they can tell good stories with less money.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Murderion posted:

All of the post Wesley Wesleys have been great.

Hell, even Icheb wasn't standout terrible on Voyager, and Harry Kim was cool.

Bold claim. In which way was Ensign Harry Kim cool?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The gently caress? Why do I have to use ProxyFlow to unblock this trailer?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

skasion posted:

Probably you are not in America and thus must watch the Canadian or ROTW versions of the trailer

I see, that's still dumb.

Anyway, very much not a fan of the new captain. Promote Saru! :argh:

I'm positively surprised that the minor bridge crew gets some screen time in this trailer, I hope we see more of them.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Just watched the trailer, some good things in there. Sensible looking Klingons. Michael telling Saru that he's her family :3:

Dumb: Spock, red angels.

Also, I'm still kinda not okay with captain Pike. Lorca was the bomb, but I'm not sure we need another older (looking) white man in the captain's chair.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Those red things are bullshit. They are presumably many dozens if not hundreds or thousands of light years apart. There's no way they could be flashing at the exact same time for every observer in Federation space. That's not how science works.

The episode was good, imho. Some parts were unnecessary action filler but I'm okay with that. It's nice that the bridge crew gets more screen time, it continues a development that already started at the end of last season. There's still too much focus on Michael, but it's getting better.

Michelle Yeoh is still super cool, and I will gladly ignore how dumb Section 31 is if it gives me more Georgiou screen time.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The_Doctor posted:

Khan was literally a super villain? :thunk:

There's a difference between having a super villain in a film and having a super villain dominating a whole season or even series of Star Trek.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Grand Fromage posted:

If decades of Trek canon is too much trouble to deal with then make something that isn't Trek. That's fine. Maybe call it The Wilbur or something.

There's no reasonable argument to use an existing IP and then ignore everything about it. The only possible reason is to try to coast on the recognizable name for marketing. Which certainly is done but unless you're the one making money off it I don't know why you'd support it.

That's true, it would be bad if Disco just used the Star Trek name without having any continuity with the other series at all.

Thankfully, Disco is obviously a Star Trek series. You've got Star Fleet, warp drives, nacelles, Klingons, Vulcans, phasers, bat'leths, cloaking, Sarek, Mudd, Spock, Pike, the Enterprise, the Saratoga, the Mirror Universe, etc.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

McSpanky posted:

Hey, it's almost like that stuff isn't actually what's truly important about Star Trek which is why tons and tons of people feel like The Orville is the real spiritual inheritor of the legacy despite being a completely goddamn different property.

You're moving the goalposts. You're right that a lot of season 1 episodes didn't feel very trek-like. But that's a different thing than Disco discarding the canon, which some people are accusing the show off.

But especially towards the end of season 1 (and the latest episode), I thought that Disco embraced the spirit of Star Trek more and more. Also, DS9 felt like a big deviation from standard Star Trek at the time of it's first airing, too. And it turned out to be the best Star Trek. So perhaps we should give Disco a bit more time to come into it's own. Or would you want TNG to be judged solely on the basis of it's less than stellar first season?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

shovelbum posted:

I think Earth, Romulus, and Qo'noS are all kind of relatively near each other on the Alpha/Beta line

IIRC, Earth is on the line dividing the Alpha and Beta quadrants. The Federation is basically split between the quadrants. The Romulans and Klingons are wholly in the Beta quadrant, and the Cardassians are in the Alpha quadrant.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Binary Logic posted:

I like this captain. But here's the but: we know Pike will return to Enterprise, so that means Discovery is going to get another captain! Who's that going to be?

Hopefully Saru!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Alan_Shore posted:

If you don't like Saru as captain I'll gently caress you

:same:

I'm even pretty optimistic about his prospects of becoming captain. He already was acting captain once Lorca was revealed as a Terran, and did a good, even inspiring job holding Discovery's crew together. Now they've put Pike in the captain's chair, but we know this is only temporary. And Pike lets Saru act as captain when he's on the away team, or if there's something to do that doesn't concern the red signals. Once Pike leaves, it would be the natural progression for Saru to succeed him.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

PostNouveau posted:

It took me awhile to get to the new episode. Have y'all talked about what a flaming pile of poo poo it was yet?

It has generally been received positively by the majority in this thread. Perhaps you could explain why you thought the episode was bad?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I would question how important PT credits are in an environment with near perfect artificial gravity, inertial dampeners, and the genuine need to have super intelligent people on-board for all the crazy science ship a spaceship/explorer/experimental ship will encounter. Or, how demanding those PT requirements need to be. A lot of the kids on the Enterprise-D certainly didn't meet any modern fitness standards. And I bet a lot of the adjuncts (counselors, teachers, etc.) didn't, either.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This episode was definitely weaker than the two previous ones. But I did like L'rell saying "I will consider that advice." about the baby feeding, it's genuinely made me grin.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CoolCab posted:

There was a lot of stuff I liked in this one - I am not going to lie, I am having a genuinely good time and I feel like I shouldn't be? It's a very shameful and self loathing sense of enjoyment. Even ITT I've said I don't want a loving dumb section 31 gritty lovely thing, and yet Yeoh manages to sell and I don't know how? Now I'm kind of excited about the adventures of the USS Oliver North and their horrible adventures in keeping the price of space bananas down - the performance sells the terrible writing - her little face at the baby!

It's because she's Michelle Yeoh.

I do like that DISCO's Terrans are much more pragmatic villains than they are portrayed as in most other Mirror Universe episodes. If we go by Lorca's example, it's totally believable that Georgiou would make a good Section 31 agent, as long as you make sure she stays somewhat loyal.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like they had one idea for him at the start and then once Rapp got on set, they adjusted. Because I think there were going for Lewis Zimmerman 'insufferable genius' to some degree in the first few eps, but after the Mudd one they leaned into how good Rapp is at being empathetic.

That makes sense. In any case, Disco is definitely better off with likable Stamets.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I liked the episode. I think DISCO is on the right path for now, I just hope the new guys don't gently caress this up :ohdear:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I will literally riot if Saru doesn't succeed Pike as captain. He's so good.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I just want to protest the describtion of Sacrifice of Angels as having deus ex machina. The Prophets were shown to be able to kidnap ships and close the wormhole in the very pilot of the series, and their involvement with Bajor, and concern for the welfare of it's people, were seen several times during the run of the show. And their relationship with Sisko was one of the central stories of the series. The only plot hole is that Sisko didn't fly into the Celestial Temple to specifically ask for help.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lizard Combatant posted:

You might want to rewatch that pilot if you think these two plots are comparable because I'm not sure if you know what people mean when they use deus ex machina as a criticism.

e: not to say that DS9 didn't ever use it (and the prophets plot line certainly got wonky and a bit superfluous towards the end) but Emissary is tight as a drum and any show should be so lucky as to have such a well written pilot episode.

?

You're misunderstanding me. And I know what deus ex machina as a criticism means, but people are often wrong about this. Deus ex machina comes from classical Greek theater, and it's modern literary meaning is an outside force resolving the plot in the heroes favor, without being built up as capable or interested in acting that way.

But the Prophets were established as having the means to do what they did in Sacrifice of Angels in the very pilot of DS9. And the motivation to help the Federation/Sisko and the Bajorans was built up over the whole run of the show. For that reason, taking out the Dominion fleet was emphatically not a deus ex machina, because it didn't satisfy the basic criteria of what makes something a deus ex machina. The plots of Emissary and SoA are obviously not comparable, but the pilot still established the Prophets as important parts of the show.

Also, writers usually use a deus ex machina when they write themselves into a corner, but nothing of the sort happened in the show. If Kira hadn't distracted Rom in that critical moment, he would have disabled the weapons of DS9, and the minefield wouldn't have been destroyed. So instead, the writing team deliberately put Sisko into the situation to need a bailout by the Prophets. You might still criticize the fact that Starfleet couldn't stop the Dominion without divine intervention, but the whole plot is absolutely not an example of deus ex machina.

Phenotype posted:

Is there anyone who's watching Discovery this season who isn't also watching The Orville?

I haven't watched a single episode of The Orville.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zesty posted:

More importantly, you don't have to remind everyone you aren't a fan every time someone else brings it up.

I agree with you here, but it's also tiresome that after every episode, there will inevitably a post in the vein of "this week's Orville episode was better", or at least "the Orville is better".

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tom Guycot posted:

It was nice to finally get some more exploration of Saru's people, and the effects for the Bauul (or however it was spelled) were really great. The episode was paced well too and in a vacuum probably would have been the best of the season.

The problem though is literally a few episodes ago we say a crew refuse to do anything for humans stranded on an alien world because of the prime directive. Humans who knew they were abducted, knew of starships, of earth, who thought that it was destroyed. Even the human who suspected as much, accused them and demanded answers, they still lied to.

On the kelpian world though, people who didn't even know there were other worlds, or any knowledge of such things, they just beam down, give them the full scoop, upset the whole balance of the world, then force evolution on them.

Its like, jesus loving christ, have a shred of consistency. Like, I know the prime directive has always been fluid but this take is like jumping into a frozen lake right from a hot tub.

The Red Angel mission has a high priority. They tried to get info on the angel in a circumspect way, pumping Saru's sister for information. That doesn't work, but now the Ba'ul are wise to Saru's return and are aggressive. When the Ba'ul learn that Saru has passed puberty, they get especially insistent and threaten to kill Saru's village. Saru surrenders, the Ba'ul come to the conclusion that the Kelpians are still bloodthirsty monsters when they lose their ganglia, and so they decide to kill all Kelpians.

There was no big violation of General Order 1 by the Discovery crew before this point. After this point, they are confronted with two choices: Let the Ba'ul genocide a whole intelligent race, or interfere. If you are stupid/amoral like captain Archer, you of course let the primitives die out. If you have half a brain and a tiny bit compassion, you interfere. That's more in the spirit of Star Fleet's ideals than standing by and doing nothing.

The humans on that planet on the other hand were living in a stable society with no big threat to go extinct. Except to irradiated ring particles that threatened to rain down on them. And what did Discovery do? They interfered and saved them! But there was no further need to meddle further, so they didn't.

Overall, I think the behavior is pretty consistent here.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DaveKap posted:

We got loving outside-the-turbolift view!
https://i.imgur.com/5hZBCiB.mp4
I don't think we've ever seen that before, have we? There's some crazy loving poo poo going on out there and I had no idea there was so much space in that ship. You'd think it was just all hallways, rooms, and Jephries tubes but nope, there's this wacky planet-factory-scene-from-Hitchhiker's-Guide-movie bullshit as well!

We did get such a shot in the first episode. Where the reptilian sneezed on that one redshirt that came over from the Enterprise and died in the asteroid field.

I was not impressed then, and am not impressed now. You usually want to minimize empty space as much as possible in your spaceship.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
She is. Both versions actually, I would have liked to see a Discovery captained by Philippa Georgiou as well.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This had a lot of good moments. "Do you think your beard works?" Preach it!

The Culber/Stamets situation is sad. But believable. I just want them to be happy! :argh:

Also, I was cheering Culber when he started hitting Tyler. And Saru's reaction was great, both during the fight, and in his discussion with Pike.

Section 31 continues to be a drag.

Burnham and Spock are a greater drag.

I'm always uncomfortable with the fact that I find the black woman's character to be the weakest part of this show (apart from Tyler). And that I want less of her. I want more Pike, Saru, Georgiou, Tilly, Stamets, Culber, Reno and bridge crew. Am I the racist? :ohdear:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zesty posted:

How about instead of wanting less of her, wanting better of the character's storyline?

I want better storylines for Burnham, but I also want more screentime for the other bridge characters especially. Owosekund and Airam get to shine a little recently, which is very good. But what about Detmer and the two men who get so little screentime that I can't even remember their names?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

davidspackage posted:

Was the notion that Logic Exxxtremists were threatening Sarek (over fostering a human) mentioned in the show before? I can't remember.

The logic extremists blew up Sarek's shuttle in the first season, and Burnham had to rescue him (and found out that Sarek chose Spock over her for a place in the Vulcan science academy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm glad that people in here are talking about Stamets/Culber, Pike gently rebuking Saru, or the Spock/Michael "incident" not being as bad as we feared.

I've never seen a full episode of TOS, mostly just some clips when SFDebris reviews episode. I found If Memory Serves pretty good, but wanted to get a bit of context for the Talos plotline.

So I decided to head over to youtube and watch a recap/review of this episode, thinking professional trekkies would explain the relevance of the Talos plotline, pointing out the things I missed for not having watched The Cage.

Turns out no youtube trekkie likes Discovery? The first video I watched began with the youtuber apologizing for/lamenting that they had to review a DISCO episode. And then they proceeded to trash the episode, using up 90% of their time explaining how everything was an insult to the true Star Trek, from the way the DISCO writersdisrespected TOS by using the edited form of The Cage for the "previously on" section at the start of the episode, to how they totally butchered the Talosians, to how they ruined Spock's character. Things I found pretty interesting, like the Stamets/Culber troubles, or Saru's character development, or Pike standing up to Section 31, was barely worth any mention.

So then I thought to look around, and every single video on the first youtube page for If Memory Serves recaps was just moaning about how bad DISCO was. Including a guy who streamed a more then three hours long review. Perhaps those of us who generally like the show really are a small minority among Trek fans.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 14, 2019