Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

LOL did you really just say "TOS Sux and everyone who likes it is a pedo?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Trickjaw posted:

Not that it really matters BMJ, but the trailer for is locked in the UK.

Everything in this video is true, but I can't see almost any of it being acknowledged in the show by the new showrunners.

Despite their protestations of saying they have "canon experts" in the writers room and everything will fit in, they will never show a smooth headed Klingon, keep the Romulans hidden, or call back to anything that happened on the show Enterprise. I don't think they have any respect for Bermanga-Era Trek at all either, so TNG/DS9/VOY stuff is out the window--this guy thinking they'll show Cardassians or Breen is lol.

I also think they will selectively use pieces of TOS. The way we're not seeing Pike era uniforms or equipment and that the ships look nothing like TOS on the outside leads me to believe they are throwing out The Cage/Menagerie entirely--in fact when this guy says the Constitution class ships are in service at this time he's right, but I think this show wants to end with the constuction of a brand new class of ships--the Constitution. I am sure at this point they don't recognize April or Pike and want to believe Kirk was the first captain of the Enterprise.

My theory is this show is intended to be a BSG style reboot of Trek that selectively borrows concepts from certain broad parts of TOS only. We'll see tonight I guess.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

marktheando posted:

I will never understand this attitude that updating sets, costumes and makeup to modern standards is somehow disrespectful to the old show. The reason this show doesn't look like a show from 1966 is because it is 2017 now.

Discovery may well be bad, but it won't be bad because of the Klingon makeup or the starfleet uniforms.

So if they made this exact show, with these ships, Klingons, and uniforms and said it was a prequel to TNG and was set 10 years before Encounter at Farpoint or maybe during the time of the Enterprise C, you would have no problem with that because "that was a show from 1986 and it is 2017 now"?

Call me a nerd, but I've spent a good deal of leisure time exploring the history of this universe since I was a kid, going back decades, and it's no different from me than if you made a WWII movie and had modern day guns and uniforms and gave the Nazis a different flag.

They had three valid choices in my view:

1. Respect the look of the time, like DS9 did with Trials and Tribbleations.
2. Don't make it a prequel if you want your own look and modern tech
3. Make it a reboot like JJ did, with or without the time travel shennanigans to tie it into the Original Timeline

Instead they have gone out of their way to do absolutely none of those things. I don't necessarily need it to look like The Cage because I didn't have a burning desire to see a show set during that time period. I just really don't want them changing what to me is established history. :shrug:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

marktheando posted:

I would not have a problem with this look in a pre TNG setting either, no. If they did something in that time period a uniform change away from the TNG pyjamas would be most welcome.

And being respectful to the 60 million dead of the bloodiest war in history, that is still within living memory, is wildly different from changing up the look of a fictional tv show, holy poo poo.

Oh come on, you know what I mean, I'm not comparing Star Trek to a war. I said WWII movies because that is a historical time where the military and ships are portrayed often in film/tv. You do know they actually made war comedies even during WWII, right?

I can use another analogy I guess--a western set in the 1800s with cars and machine guns and modern clothes but it's supposed to be a historical drama, not a comedy like Wild Wild West or a stylized reinterpretation like Romeo+Juliet.

I can see what you're saying--this is fiction so who cares, just enjoy it for the storytelling and acting. But Star Trek fans pretty much invented the concept of sperging over canon, overanalyzing throwaway lines, looking in detail about ships and uniforms. A lot of modern fandom-conventions, cosplay, technical manuals, tie in novels, fan fiction, etc, came from or were greatly shaped by Star Trek fans. It's kinda what a lot of us do.

Not everyone does, so I get that you and a lot of fans, and especially the coveted nonfan audience CBS is so desparate to attract, don't care about this stuff. But a lot of us do and that's not gonna change. I can let a lot of stuff go--I was very against Enterprise at first and how it played fast and loose with continuity--viewscreens, phase pistols, Borg, Ferengi, ridged Klingons, an previously unseen Starfleet starship Enterprise--I got over that and accepted how they worked it in. But with Discovery it's like "here we go again", and we don't even have a 15 year veteran production team calling the shots.

They're basically saying "this is now Star Trek. This is canon and what happened. We are deciding that certain things on TOS or TNG or Enterprise happened but also that some did not. Deal with it." Who are they to decide that?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, it makes it seem like all that time spent absorbing the details of a fictional universe was wasted. If a new Star Trek show won't respect that investment, what will?

Not sure if you're taking the piss, but I 100% unironically agree. :colbert:

I will say this though: I don't want it to be horrible. I don't want it to fail. I don't want a timeline where Orville gets 5 seasons and this gets 1--shoot, I want BOTH shows to get 7 season (and a movie). I am going into this hoping beyond hope that it will be totally good and redeem itself, but I have very, very low expectations.

Also not watching the title sequence so I can fully absorb it tonight live and in HD.

Edit: I will also say that despite the fact that the show was overall mediocre and the first few seasons were pretty lame at times, Broken Bow was one of my favorite ST premieres. It set a high tone that wasn't matched by the show. Here's to hoping this will start strong (and stay strong).

Astroman fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 24, 2017

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

No, there is paid with ads and pay more for no ads.

I take that back, clearly CBS will be using some things from post TOS canon:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

GET HYPE

SIT IN YOUR FAVORITE CHAIR

WILL IT BE

OR

WE'LL KNOW AFTER THE FIRST HOUR OF NEW STAR TREK TV IN 12 YEARS! :woop:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Klingon who's so black he sweats oil!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That looks a lot like Kirk's phaser rifle in Where No Man Has Gone Before.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Apparently making Nazca lines is a 3rd year course at Starfleet Acadmey

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I didn't hate the credits, or the music now that I see it in action.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Stardate is inaccurate, but not horribly so.

Also did anyone catch the calender date she gave?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Science officer sounds like Kryten.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Reminds me of when Spock flew into V'Ger

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Computer is NOT Majel :supaburn:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MichiganCubbie posted:

I thought that they were going to keep using Majel Barrett for the computer. :smith:

You'd think Eugene Roddenberry Jr would have have the juice to at least get that much.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So far it's pretty and Star Trekky, but there's nothing which makes me think this takes place before TOS at all.

I would totally have bought it as 100 years after Voyager. Shame they just didn't do that. Probably could have told pretty much the same stories they wanted to tell too.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

HOW DO YOU FEEL?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

SAREK!

Also dug the klingon funeral screams.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Nobody has seen a Klingon in 100 years?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Phase canons, eh? Enterprise reference!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm more disturbed by the continuity that John Laroquette is supposed to be an older Bobby Moynihan...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

LOL White Kllingons being kept down by The Man

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

OK, so they have holographic communications now, but Kirk doesn't and they won't be invented again til DS9?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

If they light that signal and a bunch of brownface smooth forehead Klingots show up in gold lame' I will never, ever complain about continuity for the rest of this season. :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Bloop posted:

I am admittedly somewhat torn because I am a dork nerd trekkie but this sort of slavish obsession with canon would keep it from being relevant to a new audience. It just doesnt matter.

Well what would the show lose without holographic communications, shiny uniforms, etc? That's like the viewscreen continuity in Enterprise: on TOS they said they didn't have visual communications during the Romulan War. But in Archer's time, they have giant viewscreens. When some of us complained, we just heard "YOU CAN'T TELL STORIES IN SCIFI WITHOUT VIEWSCREEN COMMUNICATONS!"

But what about :bsg: ?

I still see zero reason this couldn't take place after Voyager...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

skasion posted:

Tbh Georgiou would be more than justified in just shooting her right there, assaulting and incapacitating your commanding officer so you can mutinously start a shooting war as a show of force is reprehensible act.

Hey, she had to phone a friend, happens all the time in deep space!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

OK, she just committed mutiny. :stare:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Bloop posted:

not a single familiar klingon ship. oh well

Yeah, I thought these were the long lost Klingon Sarcophagas Ships, which were separated from the rest of the Empire for centuries, thus the different look. But it looks like only the one ship was, and the rest are just warping in from present day Empire, and of course they don't look like goddamn D-7s.

So,

D-5 from Archer's time:

D-7 from Kirk's time:

Apparently D-6 from 10 years before?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Also I just saw the 3rd episode of The Orville, and while I'm not sure about Discovery, I'm pretty sure Orville is great Star Trek. :colbert:

pospysyl posted:

The Sarek call is a good example of why the holographic communication is pretty bad. In Star Trek, communication is very deliberate. You have to go to a special room, get the screen ready, and arrange an appointment. While that may not be a good extrapolation of modern day technology, it's important because it makes the ship feel like it's on the frontier. The ship is often isolated, and help isn't always at hand. The crew needs to make decisions on their own. If they can call up anybody in the universe on a whim, that's lost. There'll never be an episode where they have to come up with a solution with limited time and resources because they can just call up Star Fleet or the smartest Vulcan in the universe for an answer, unless you perpetually introduce some BS about how there's "interference". The ship is never isolated, so the stakes are lower. It's kind of like how cellphones dramatically changed how Law and Order episodes are plotted.

:agreed:

Why is a captain even needed to make a decision? Just call up the Admirality and some guy at a desk can call the shots.

But the only reason they are doing it is so that Michael can call Sarek and get Deep Philosophical Advice from him. Would have been better off having her hallucinate the ghost of her dead adoptive Vulcan father as a coping mechanism to talk things through with her subconscious.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

vermin posted:

Finding it kind of hard to have faith of the heart right now :(

Verdict:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So did anyone catch the calendar date she gave? I was too busy rushing off to see how much they hosed up the stardate myself.

Another request--in the trailer (and maybe the second episode) a bunch of Fed ships warp in. Anybody got a screencap?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yeah I caught the date, but what's the significance?

None, I was just trying to figure out where it lands in the timeline. Memory Alpha has it up, it's May 2256. So in theory:
-Spock is serving aboard the Enterprise with Pike
-The Cage and the Talosian encounter took place 2 years ago
-Kirk is still a cadet, and has already served aboard the USS Republic with Ben Finney as well as the Farragut
-Kirk met Tyree on Neural last year
-Robert April is an ambassador, having given up command of the Enterprise to Pike 6 years ago
-T'Pau is alive, and a senior member of the Vulcan govt, and has been for a century. She may or may not have already turned down a seat on the Federation Council
-there is no reason T'Pol should not be alive
-Kor, Koloth, and Kang are serving in the Klingon fleet
-Dax is either Emony (the one who banged McCoy) or Audrid
-Matt Decker is a starship commander, as are probably several other Commodores and Admirals from TOS
-Garth of Izar is most likely at the height of is powers as a well respected starship commander

In other news, according to this article, they actually had done uniforms that looked like a slightly modified version of The Cage/TOS uniforms, and got as far as camera tests and then threw them out for sexy skintight pajamas. :ughh:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/09/11/star-trek-discovery-13-things-we-learned-on-the-set

From the same article, there's a screen on the Discovery's bridge listing ships, and the Enterprise is on there...the Enterprise A. :ughh: :ughh:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Porpoise With A Purpose posted:

The show is okay but i want to know what this daft punk guy is.

Ah, don't you recognize someone of the Blah Blah race? Like the Denobulans, they are an integral part of the early Federation, and are seen often in the future after this time period, and,

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

marktheando posted:

Haha Netflix has an option for Klingon subtitles.

You haven't truly hatewatched Discovery until you've seen it in the original Klingon! :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

So mike is spocks step sister? Funny he never mentioned it.

She's no Spocko, that's for sure!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"Hellooooooo Lieutenant Sexybot!" :quagmire:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lord Krangdar posted:

I don't really get the extreme focus on adherence to canon/continuity by so many fans of this franchise. If it helps you enjoy the series, or it helps the writers write it, then its all good. If not, throw it out the drat airlock. Why keep it around just to get in the way?

I've never heard of comic readers getting mad that Batman's costume and physical dimensions change constantly depending on who draws him, like its ruining their immersion. That sort of thing is just accepted in other franchises (another obvious example is James Bond). Yet for this series the same sort of criticisms are endless. Why?

Because for Star Trek fans, this is kinda what a lot of us do, and have done, since the 60s. It was Star Trek fans in the 60s/70s analyzing minutia and speculating about the larger fictional universe that led to more inclusion of consistent continuity in the 80s and 90s shows despite the network execs caring for nothing of the sort. This helped greatly pave the way to the more deep, serialized, continuity and reference heavy "Golden Age of TV" we see across genres now.

Star Trek has had a pretty consistent history and worldbuilding over the past 30 years especially, and where it hasn't, stuff like "retconning" was pretty much invented by Star Trek fans. To see a show set pretty much in Kirk's time but with technology vastly in advance of it flys in the face of decades of that worldbuilding. Especially so if, as was suggested a few posts back, they show us Pike's Enterprise and it looks the same as these other ships.

To say we're whining because we want some fuddy duddy grognard 60s throwback is disingenuous too, because most of us never wanted another prequel in the first place. I wasn't burning to see a show set in Kirk/Pike's time, and if there was one I'd want it to be an episode or a tv movie, not an entire series. This show would have been perfectly serviceable if it were set in the 25th century with the exact same plot and characters (minus the name Sarek for the Vulcan) and all the same tech. The fact that they didn't do it was simply because they wanted to have their cake and eat it too--they felt they had to do a show similar to JJ Trek with all those references, but like JJ Trek update it and make it ultra modern, and Fuller just didn't give a poo poo about established Star Trek history.

For those who say you can't show a futuristic tv show and have it relateable without it being ultra futuristic to the viewers, what about BSG? For those who say you can't revisit a 60s era in a modern scifi show without updating it, how do you explain the fact that in a few months we'll be seeing a Doctor Who episode with un-updated 60s TARDIS sets? Shouldn't they have updated the First Doctor's TARDIS to with touchscreens?

All this could have also been avoided if they'd just have come out and said "we're doing a reboot." But again, have your cake and eat it too.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

caps on caps on caps posted:

I still don't get what y'all problem is with new visuals. If Pike's ship looks modern and like something that could actually exist in the future, but everything else of the lore stays intact, nothing is lost.
Just pretend that there are different visualizations of the same novel and this one is the modern one.

If you still prefer a bridge and uniforms that look retarded and can not represent the future as we now know, then there's still TOS to watch.
But the tradeoff of this Groknard poo poo is that you can never ever introduce a new generation to Star Trek, or make new Trekkies, because the future you propose including all of TOS is just no longer believable.

And it doesn't really matter what century the new series is set in. There's no reason 1701 should have looked like that ever, from todays perspective, and there is no in-lore explanation that actually makes sense.

Instead, by revamping the design, we can preserve the stories, the morals, ideas and the entire lore for a new generation, which is absolutely fine and good. I just don't understand why something as goofy as TOS NEEDS to remain the actual and true look of this universe even though it means that the Star Trek universe CAN NOT be our future.
Instead change the visuals, keep the continuity and the whole deal can be our future again, Kirk, Picard and the whole shebang. Why care about a few buttons.

Truthfully, Star Trek isn't visually consistent until Wrath of Khan. After that point, you can rationalize that everything you see onscreen, up to Enterprise, takes place in the same universe. You try to add TMP in there, and especially TOS and yeah, it doesn't work.

But both DS9 and Enterprise went back to those times, so they are part of it. And they made it work.

If the show looking futuristic from the CURRENT YEAR's standards is your bellwether for the only way you can introduce new fans to the show, then why not just set this show in the future of TNG?

Also for that matter, by your standards, most of Star Trek will soon be falling off that "futuristic" standard. Already kids today find a movie like Wrath of Khan slow and boring. I can imagine they'd see the beige carpets and touchscreens of 30 year old TNG hopelessly retrofuture and out of date.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Discovery managed to be well paced and interesting. It established it's main character with depth, established the antagonists as an actual culture distinct and rounded. All while looking visually more exciting and beautiful than Trek has ever managed.
Was it perfect? No. Was it better than the other Trek openers (and a pretty loving large percentage of all Trek episodes across all series)? Yes.

People whining about the pronunciation of Klingon. People complaining that things which were clearly shown in dialogue or shot weren't obvious enough (presumably because they were too busy posting their hatred instead of watching). People complaining that the sets/ships/actual human actors were not made out of crepe pape and fidget spinners because that breaks continuity with the embarrassing schlock made fifty-one years ago are mentally loving deficient.

All you guys dogging on TOS as being so horrible and campy and lovely consider this: if it was so bad, and not iconic, then why has all the Cargo Cult Star Trek we've seen in the past 8 years just kept retreading the same era over and over and wanting people to associate it with Kirk and Spock? :colbert:

Pastamania posted:

Encounter at Farpoint would have been a much better episode if Riker punched Picard in the face in his ready room and then started screaming at Tasha to fire torpedoes at the Jellyfish.

Nail on the head. Not only are they loving up continuity, they are loving up the philosophy of Star Trek.

Arglebargle III posted:

As a Trek fan, the thing I dislike about it most is how tired it is. Star Trek has done the spiky dark post 9/11 aliens thing before and both times it's been awful. Enterprise and Nemesis are low points in the franchise. Trek2009 wasn't a whole lot better and also featured spiky post 9/11 aliens. Beam over to the enemy ship at the end so our heroes can punch them, yadda yadda. It's boring and it's a misunderstanding of what popular Star Trek was about. 2009 received a fairly tepid response and Nemesis and Enterprise were rightly panned for their dark action movie take on Trek. That's not what the franchise is good at.

This dovetails with my other main problem with the show, which is that Trek prequels are played out. In the first 30 minutes there was a lot of cool new stuff that we haven't had in Trek before, like using robotic daughter ships or routine EVA to check something out in person. Even phrases like "tech hygiene" sound new, which is something that Trek has always embraced when it's good. TNG wasn't TOS over again, it clearly had its roots in the late 80s and late 80s conceptions of what this positive aspirational future could look like. Discovery gets to be new and good for about 30 minutes before it's dragged back down into its prequel premise. There's Klingons and hull breaches and spiky green and black ships of enormous size and space battles and we've all seen this before. The story beats from there are all very rote aside from Michael's freakout.

Discovery looked for all the world like a sequel when it started showing and talking about things in our future, the future of people in 2017. When it's thrown back into Trek prequel purgatory its like being dragged back in time to no longer even scifi but some sort of weird mishmash of retcon and period piece and focus grouped nostalgia for a broadcast era franchise. It manages to be both new and tired and boring at the same time.

This isn't even getting into the military themes and prison fight that clash pretty hard with Star Trek but strongly resemble prestige dramas from the last 20 years. Even if you aren't attached to the idea of Trek as an aspiration for the people of the time in which it airs, putting a prequel to a 60s show on with explicit callbacks to the fiction of the 60s with atmosphere and themes from recent prestige dramas ends up with a muddled aesthetic and uncertain theme. This is born out by all the people wondering whether the show thinks that Michael's actions were justified or not -- the show's tone is muddled.

Well said!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Kesper North posted:

I love Star Trek. Always have. Earliest memory is of watching TOS in syndication with my mom. And you know what? I love Discovery. I agree with most (not all, but most) of their choices. To me, it feels like Star Trek grown up, in a good way, and I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series.

All Access is of course the Achilles heel that will probably lead to this being a single-season show.

See, I'm the same but opposite. My ealiest memories are watching TOS in syndication with my mom. And rediscovering it when I was 10, become a huge fan and warching the premiere of TNG with my mom. And every single time there was a new ST series, it felt like such a huge event. New Star Trek. And I went to my parents' house and watched Discovery with my mom, and wanted so bad for it to be great.

And it didn't feel like Star Trek to me. It lacked that magic that even Enterprise had.

I'll keep watching, only because I hope it will turn around, but I won't hold my breath.