Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Each series has built a vast universe— indeed as vast as the universe itself— with infinite storytelling potential. Each one tried to tap into this potential and do something slightly out of the box in the 90's/2000's (DS9 for Trek, the prequels for Wars), with debatable results. Studios subsequently have decided that in order for each franchise to be successful, all future stories must revolve around a core set of familiar old elements.

In Wars' case, X-Wings, Tie Fighters, lightstabers, and constant Darth Vader shoehorns. In Trek, Starfleet ships, phasers, transporters, Vulcans, Klingons, and Kirk/Spock. (And my guess would be TNG characters again once they tap that out.)

The result is that despite having a whole galaxy and more as your storytelling playground, you end up with a repetitive, small, and stale storytelling world.

Well.. yeah..

I don't want a star trek/wars that isn't about the stuff that made me like it. If You're gonna do that, just rename it and sell it as a new product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU