Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite part was the nipple clamps. Pics please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hey! I've got something important to ask! Has anyone called this show Space Orc: Discovery yet? Very important.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Discovery has Space Orcs called Klingons or something like that. I don't know why the title of this thread isn't Space Orc: Nipple Clamps but to each their own. This random statement is also my review.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the better question is why did they make Clem Fandango the chief of security after rescuing him from being tortured...

No one on that ship was more qualified than a dude with potential PTSD?

No! Bad writing. Bad writers. Go sit in the corner.

By the way, I'm hate watching the poo poo out of this show. I want to like it because it's Trek, but God drat, the writers must think that viewers just don't give a gently caress about sensible plots made up of cause and effect. That must explain why they instead go for random character idiocy.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 13, 2018

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I read an article somewhere that said the Klingons in Discovery are shaving their hair because Khaless said something about burning your hair off with lava...

In short, Discovery dumb

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

thexerox123 posted:

So that rumor's probably just by someone who was misremembering how that story was used.

Rumor? Iirc it was from someone on the production crew!

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I found it. It's a quote from the makeup designer, Glenn Hetrick. He said that they look that way because Kahless cut his hair and burned it in lava...

http://comicbook.com/startrek/amp/2018/08/07/star-trek-discovery-season-2-klingon-redesign/

quote:

As for why the Klingons who followed T’Kuvma looked so unique — specifically why they all lacked hair while Klingons in the past have had long manes and distinctive facial hair — Hetrick hinted that could be explained by the group’s religious convictions.

“If you really think about season one, and the Klingon storyline, we had this incredibly ritualistic season with them,” he said. “It was really about unification, and igniting the beacon, the Light of Kahless, and bringing him back…so we integrated that very much and thought a lot about that.”

Hetrick then went on to note that the way Kahless unified the Klingon Empire, according to past Star Trek canon, was “by cutting off his hair, and dipping it into a volcano and forging the first bat’leth and tempering in the ocean of Qo’noS.”

He continued, “There is this whole thing with hair and ritual and unification that was very much in the forefront of our mind when we designing.”

Can I say Discovery dumb now?

Also, did they misquote him or did he really say, "when we designing". We may never know.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chubby Henparty posted:

Including the flashback babby klingons and the entire shipful of party viking klingons that didn't give a gently caress about rituals? Lol

Especially the baby Klingons!

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
More from the make-up department:

quote:

"We're trying to adhere as much as we can to canon, but still evolving it and making it something for today's audience - making it smarter, cooler, and technically more impressive so it can hold up in HD. But we don't want anything that looks so different that someone goes, 'That's not what an Andorian looks like.' It's a fine line... We're obsessed with that story [Kahless the Unforgettable]. And as we unpack it, we're going to find tons of other reasons for the Klingon look. I think people are going to freak out when this unfurls in front of them"...

Going back to the original explanation for the reimagined Klingons however (that different Houses wouldn't all look the same), it perhaps makes sense that viewers will be seeing new-look Klingons in future episodes. After all, the season 1 finale saw characters Voq and L'Rell depart on a journey to unite the various Klingon factions and if season 2 continues this particular storyline, it's only natural that fans are going to see new varieties of Klingon. In his interview, Hetrick also confirmed that he has designs for over 20 Klingon houses, only six of which have appeared thus far in the show.

See, we've only seen 6 houses and all 6 were designed badly. So don't worry, the other 14 houses should be fine... Start the horror music. I've emphasized the scariest parts above.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 17, 2018

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So what's the story with the video game lawsuit? I watched some youtubes and it told me that the main plot line was plagiarized. Has anyone here played the game? Is this just a money run or is this a legit thing?

Video for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLDMg9ABiIg

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Astroman posted:

"Ah, Data, I see you have activated the "fat and old chip" that Dr. Soong left for you, so that you would appear to age realistically with your contemporary human friends."

"Indeed I have. And I see Captain Riker has done the same."

*Depressed, Riker fires up another DS9 program and pretends to be Chef once again, eating away his misery.

This is now canon.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This is the first episode that I enjoyed more than The Orville's weekly ep. In my mind it's like Star Trek match game each week.

I liked a lot of it, but I wanted add to the Spock/Burnham thing being super weak sauce. I started laughing during it because it reminded me of White Fang. I see a few Harry and the Henderson references, but that's a reference to White Fang too. I was half expecting her to pick up a rock and throw it at him saying, "now git". It was super corny and badly cliched writing. I feel like when you write a scene that is based on a different famous scene then it's the writer's duty to make it new and different in some interesting way.

That scene was the worst. 2nd worst scene was the slowly tilting shot with Pike in the turbo lift. Go home Discovery. You're drunk!

There was more good than bad this week! We've made it? The ending caught me off guard until Vena showed up. The reveal was good writing! How can we have such good ideas sometimes (including Saru going creep beast mode) but then have such horrible dialogue and trope writing in the same show? This is committee writing showing its head isn't it?

Great episode overall. I enjoyed the break from the antics of Tilly. Now if they could just off Ash completely I'd be a bit happier. I loved him on Toast but the guy cannot act. He just reacts and while waiting stands around with a slack jaw expression. It's killing me slowly.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

I’m pretty sure Tyler just exists to get shat on at this point, and I’m okay with that.

Like if we all focus our hate on him then theoretically I should start liking other parts of the show more? Diabolical! All just to get me to like Tilly? It's not going to work STD! You hear me? It's not going to work!

*Throws a rock at the Discovery writer's room

I hate you! Now git!

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hakkesshu posted:

I think it's incredible that they're literally just doing Mass Effect now. Instead of a magic beacon, it's a time-traveller who warns Spock of squid-like machines wiping out all life in the galaxy.

Not gonna say I'm not into it though.

Mix in NuWho's 1st season's "Bad Wolf" and you pretty much have the season long plot. I've been calling it since episode 1 of this season; Michael is the angel.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

abraxas posted:

So apparently I'm a much bigger sociopath than I previously thought or something, but since nobody else has mentioned anything at all about it, I gotta ask.... is nobody else bothered by how unrealistic Stamets is being portrayed since Culber came back?

Discovery doesn't do subtle. They have to make it stupidly obvious that Stamet's isn't getting what Culber is going through. You want subtle from a show that had nipple clamps on a water bear as a means to power their teleporting ship...

It ain't going to happen.

That's the power of meth people!

Seriously I know what you are saying, but the writer's really don't seem to do subtle character changes too well. Look how Saru went from scared and weak to let's watch them gladiator fight. By the end of the season Saru is going to be in full Predator hunt mode. Stamets will continue to spin puppy dog eye wheels until the writers need him for "plot" and suddenly his character will snap back into place.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Drone posted:

Look forward to seeing where they take her in a way that makes her interesting again.

Like Ash, she will be revealed to have been a Klingon the entire time...

I'm just trying to come up with the dumbest idea in slim hopes that they end up being true.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The people that think that it is Tilly cannot see thin/thick? That red Angel is not thick like Tilly. Do you think there will be a reveal where they cgi Tilly's head on a thin body?

I've said it before, it's Michael because the writers are pulling a "Bad Wolf" here. For those that did not watch NuWho, in s1 there were references to "Bad Wolf" throughout the series and it ended up just being the Doctor's companion the entire time... It was poorly done as random mentions or mcguffins, and I would be incredibly surprised if the STD writers had something clever up their sleeves that was different from NuWho.

Bad Wolf

Red Angel

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Drone posted:

The internet just loves to overexaggerate how fat Tilly is. She's not, she is completely and utterly average.

Well I have eyeballs. She has about 20% too much girth to be the Red Angel. Someone who cares more and isn't as lazy post a pic of Tilly (without hiding her stomach w her arms) and the clearest red angel. I'm not trying to fat shame here (though it's happening!). I'm saying it's clearly not her unless they pull a Head of the Class.

In Head of the Class the overweight character, Dennis came back from the season break fatter than before. Some of the other characters got on him about it and then he revealed pillows! He had stuffed his clothes to look bigger and secretly lost weight during the summer.

They DID have Tilly running at the beginning of the season. If they pull a Head of the Class and Tilly is actually skinny now then that would be an amazing reveal.

I think we are going more Bad Wolf than Dennis here though.

E. Comedy answer: RA is going to be Riker as hologram Chef. Every Star Trek from now on is just Riker playing out old Federation missions.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 21, 2019

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Eau de MacGowan posted:

imagine being stabbed so hard in the eyes you fly back ten feet

is he dead or does he just have to try and reenter his password again?

I don't have to imagine. Back when they did that air poof thing during an eye exam I would fly across the room and hit the wall every time!

I thought this ep had some sloppy writing. We can like STD and admit there is sloppy writing, but I'm constantly on the edge of liking this show and laughing at it (not with).

I'm glad I was wrong about Michael being the red angel but the reveal was equally as bad because it didn't mean anything as a turning point. Generally when writing is solid a turning point makes you think of all the times things didn't quite line up that now click. In Roger Rabbit when you find out Judge Doom is the crazy cartoon killing the other toons suddenly the mystery of Eddie's brothers death, the cable car company, Acme's will... It all clicks and makes sense.

When bad writers make a reveal they generally force something to happen that changes a character's value without anything clicking. Nothing clicked here. We knew Michael's parents were killed by Klingons but they utterly failed at building it up to where the Red Angel makes sense. Instead to compensate, they had to have a scene where the leader of section 31 has to exposition dump and tell Michael everything to make the pieces fit. That's sloppy.

It was as subtle as a hammer and would have been an effective reveal had it suddenly made a bunch of previous plot points make sense.

Oh well. I just found it to be a strange way to end the episode. Big reveal and.... Meh. It meant nothing to us as watchers. It's not like we all went, 'holy poo poo now it all makes sense" which are what those types of reveals should do to us emotionally.

I write tv pitches so I'm always thinking about the writing.

Rocksicles posted:

CAPTCHA verification failed, try other eye.

Someone else walks in and sees him on the ground blinded and states,

I am not a robot

The machine turns on.

(To Leland) Just use the other method.

Walks out.

E: What if in the next episode he is fine but just has two Detmer eyes?

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 23, 2019

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Eau de MacGowan posted:

but its not that universe

the last episode explicitly ties it into our universe

Oh boy... I classically laughed out loud at this. I assume you aren't raging at your computer, but I instantly imagined a person that gets upset every time something fantastical happens in fiction.

Wow this movie is pretty good. What the gently caress? Wait a second! Cars don't fly! gently caress you Grease!

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 4, 2019

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Boom already posted by Big Mean Jerk. Suck it slow nerd.

Also, plot bad. Character moments good. Tilly's space teen friend also bad.

See ya next week!

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Runs into the thread out of breath swinging the doors open. Guys guys guys! The red angel's last signals... It's going to be... Michael!

Bad Wolf!

...Collapses on the floor

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Here's my worthless opinion! I thought the 1st trek was actually decent. It was a bit corny, but it had decent characterizations going on. The 2nd one was a hot mess. It wasn't funny to me and I found the tone to be very weirdly mean spirited. Mean spirited death comedy as a short? Uh, maybe leave the full comedy to The Orville if this is what comes out of those deranged trek writer brains.

It does give me hope that Discovery will still have moment to moment tonal whiplash though! Good old crazy Disco.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Oasx posted:

To be fair, klingons have never been interesting. The TNG episodes about klingon politics were among its worst.

Yeah but the Klingon episodes of DS9 were some of the best! What do we do now, look at Voyager and Enterprise? Nice try! You aren't tricking me like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

The Klingon episodes of Enterprise were mostly surprisingly great.

The trap is set...