Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

expectations are pretty low but will be happy if it does turn out to be something special - it's kinda crazy how long it's been since we've had new tv Trek though

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

The Bloop posted:

Confirmed: Kirk was a racist which is why his crew was 99% human. Spock was his black friend (half) and one of the good ones.

around this time you also had the USS Intrepid with an all-Vulcan crew: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Intrepid_(NCC-1631)

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Since this is ten years before Kirk, does that mean Pike is currently captain of the original Enterprise? In like another sector?

pretty sure the answer to this is yes, with Spock already on board no less

Crusader fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 25, 2017

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

My problem with the mushroom drive isn't so much that it's never mentioned in prior shows (Starfleet ran across crazy tech that got memory-holed more than a few times before, and like others have said there's even odds they'll handwave it as the origin of transwarp drive), it's just that it sounds really silly.

Like, initially it seemed like fungal networks were some sort of analogue/metaphor for some phenomenon of fundamental physics, but I guess, no, they're going with the it's really just the fungus.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That's my issue as well. I'm fine with it never being mentioned again (Excelsior and transwarp), but the basic explanation we've been given makes no sense. Space is littered with fungal spores that remember where they've been and somehow Discovery can tap into that and blip anywhere, except now it requires a giant tardigrade monster that is literally plugged into the ship so he can talk to the spores and fine-tune the coordinates?

:wtc:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

is this the first usage of the UFP logo from the 70's Franz Joseph tech manual on screen?

it's not precisely the same:

but I double-checked the only exhaustive reference I could find quickly and it looks new:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies/federation_emblem.htm

edit: looking again, I guess the matte painting with the two faces version counts as prior use

Crusader fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 9, 2017

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

they thought the ship was fighting alongside them the entire six months, invisible, always there, a silent protector

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Tighclops posted:

When the most instantly interesting character in your show is Harry Mudd

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Ventana posted:

Has there always been a Starfleet regulation to conscript anyone in times of war? Or is this just the show making stuff up for the plot

Kirk drafted McCoy against his will somehow in TMP; that’s the only example I can think of offhand.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

I wonder if the original intent was to use the stock Klingon D7 since they bothered to namecheck it in the dialogue, then VFX decided to do something completely different later on anyway.

I don’t mind different or new designs for Klingons, but these are a mess of glowing energy and spikes that isn’t really all that interesting or fun to me.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Discovery's tone feels like the production team looked at the interim period between Enterprise and now and decided that what made television science fiction and fantasy better was being relentlessly grim... which I guess BSG was most of the time, but even Game of Thrones has moments of levity and even joy sometimes.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Tarquinn posted:

I literally just finished that series and cannot place that reference. Could you jog my memory, please? :)

The Trisolarans do the dehydration trick during Chaotic Eras in their system to survive; it’s among the very, very few things the novels ever say about their biology - I think Cixin Lui said that he didn’t think any detailed descriptions would ever do alien life justice.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Ramadu posted:

why does the food replicator shame these poor space people

at least they got space burritos and not the weird play-doh the Enterprise crew would usually get

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Alan_Shore posted:

- Burnham getting thrown out of Sarek's mind that first time with SAAAAREKKKKKK was loving hilarious (in a bad way)

Alan_Shore posted:

- Wait, so the Enterprise is lolling around at the same time? With Kirk? Cos Pike's an admiral now?

Pike's in command still; the Cage was set only a few years prior to Discovery's setting:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Drone posted:

So that scar on Lorca's back in the bedroom scene is about the least subtle thing ever, loving ugh. Since I didn't see it mentioned the last couple of pages while skimming through quickly, it's a triangle and a dash. Three sides, one side. 31.

Ah crud - I guess the black badges will be relevant after all.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

This is the first one that actually felt like a Star Trek episode, and even the well-traveled time loop plot had some fun new things; hoping ST:D has just been going through the traditional rough early episodes patch and is close to finding its legs now.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

How would you bring Mudd up on charges? At worst you could charge him with conspiracy to take over a StarFleet vessel, there's no way to prove he killed anyone let alone Lorca 53 times, and I doubt they would take the word of a stoner mycologist as hard evidence.

I've always found the "FUTURE POLICE" part of Mudd's TOS rap sheet hilarious:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

That was alright; I'm hoping that most of Discovery's uneven areas are artifacts of a troubled pre-production and now that they've established pieces of the show's identity they can have a more consistent and ideally fun show on a regular basis.

Despite the goofiness of the concept, the spore jumps are a cool effect at least:

edit:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This made no sense.

"The Admiral is real hosed up, can't even feel her legs. Good thing the entire ship is about to instantly jump to a starbase."
"Nah, stick her on a slower shuttle."

Best case scenario, she shows up at the starbase 6 hours after them and has to use a Pike wheelchair the rest of her life. :confused:

hah yeah - even just some sort of line indicating the writers/etc. realized using the shuttle sounds bonkers would have been nice - I guess the assumption was Discovery hung around at the planet for a lot longer than the edits made it appear?

Crusader fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 13, 2017

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

:thunk:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Blinkz posted:

I haven't even finished the episode yet. But tone, pacing, and character interaction is so much better.

Uh why does the defiant look different from TOS?

yeah that was odd - it's not like anyone on the production crew would have forgotten what a Constitution-class looks like, so I guess there's some story reason that will either become apparent later or was dropped (post-Mirror Darkly modifications by the Empire or some such)

Crusader fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 8, 2018

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

There’s also the precedent (sorta, in that the story is set 10 years after Disco) of McCoy catching Darvin as a Klingon spy with one wave of his tricorder.

That said, hasn’t Voq been pretty close to Lorca’s Tribble?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

"Uhh, your empire is literally killing and enslaving everyone, so we had to band together. Don't you get it? "
"But how did you get around the extra muscle in your leg that makes Klingons need to have honor and glory?"
"My people's struggle is one of-- wait what?"

yeeeeah - it’s in-line with Burnham’s attitude towards Klingons in the pilot when they were leaning hard on her childhood trauma and eventually mutiny, but they’ve been tacking generally away from that the rest of the season, so it was really weird to see the myopia resurface.

Retardog posted:

Does all this Voq-Ash Tyler business mean Worf wasn't really the first Klingon in Starfleet?

don’t think skipping the academy and commissioning by skinning someone’s face counts :yeah:

Crusader fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 15, 2018

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Gonz posted:

What if Stamets becomes the Traveler?

oh goddammit

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

not much to to say about this episode that hasn't been mentioned already, but, uh, making Burnham eat Mirror-Saru surprised me.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

CaveGrinch posted:

She ate Kelpian, not Saru

I thought that was Mirror-Saru she selected earlier in the episode?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Delthalaz posted:

That was pretty great. I really liked Saru and the Discovery crew acting like they belong in Star Trek for the first time but I do not like more of this endless Klingon war bullshit. We just learned that behaving like Lorca is some evil-verse poo poo and the trailer looks like we need to learn that lesson again with Georgiou

yeah, was pretty engrossing, and my hope is that the overall course correction plot-wise it feels like this show is trying to do leads to a shutdown of the war storyline to where it all feels like it was worthwhile but we can still move on.

edit: also, I think it's to this show's credit now to where I wasn't sure if they would overshoot past the TNG/DS9/VOY era at the end there.

Crusader fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 29, 2018

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

cbs why isn't this track on the first half OST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFLBQf_wkbk

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/02/09/584276832/pass-the-fortune-cookies-hold-the-ganglia-feasting-on-star-trek-s-discovery

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Tighclops posted:

pleaaaaaaaaase tell me that's clint howard

https://twitter.com/jhoffman/status/962864418915696640

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Echo Chamber posted:

I hope the Enterprise fanservice is kept to just one episode. Spock should be on board if my knowledge of TOS backstory is correct, but I hope they'll just say he's on an away mission.

Same re: one episode, but I dug the CGI model at any rate. Spock should be on board in that he was on the ship in the Cage set prior to this season, and on still when Kirk assumes command, but Sarek and Spock weren't speaking at all in this period of their lives so they could handwave it by having Pike not bring Spock anywhere to avoid being rude to Sarek

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The new Enterprise model is so close to being great, except they gave it TMP-style nacelle pylons :argh:

ah gently caress, that's what felt off about it - until your post I wasn't sure.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Enterprise model reminded me of that one Gabe Koerner did years ago

that was pre-JJprise right? I remember being disappointed that Koerner's seemed like a cleaner modernization than what ended up in the 09 film.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

I greatly enjoyed “first of all... so uh... I’m very high, but you need to listen to me”.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

speaking of, the Cage-era Enterprise's bridge isn't tooo far away from what Discovery has in that most things are flat grey, E's is just a lot smaller:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

new spock:

https://twitter.com/startrek/status/1029412354394611713