Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Show got pretty good in a hurry midseason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ramadu posted:

fat homely girl looks worried
gently caress off with this.

Literally nobody needed you to announce that you're not attracted to an actress. I realize you're probably used to thinking your opinions on women's appearances are important, but they aren't, and you're not just being an rear end in a top hat, you're being a boring rear end in a top hat. We super don't care where a random stranger does or doesn't want to put their dick.

I'm very happy this show seems to be growing its beard. It took some getting used to, with the Battlestar Galactica direction, but I have The Orville for my old school Trek, so this is cool too.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

shovelbum posted:

I don't get what the point is though
What's the point of your name?

I know a woman named Michael. It's a thing. Names are names. Why do you care so much?

shovelbum posted:

Imo it's really lovely to bring your personal baggage that intrusively into an established franchise it's Patrick Stewart's dune buggy all over again
Naming a character Michael is as disruptive as disregarding seven+ years of established stoic characterization?

It's a name. Of a character you'd never met before.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ijii posted:

Please no cameos from anybody from past treks. Right now I can't help but feel it would cheapen STD, and seeing how lovely the STD writing staff is, the entire STD crew would end up being overshadowed by whoever cameos.
I agree in principle, but DS9 grew a second beard when Worf joined the cast.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

"You all died in the plane crash and you've been in purgatory this whole time"
All these years later and people still say this like it's what happened.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Powered Descent posted:

Regulation 44983? "No officer above the rank of mess sergeant is permitted to go into combat with pierced nipples?" I fail to see the relevance of that.
Be quiet, novelty condom head.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's weird that Star Trek made both Space Jews and Space Jewish Stereotypes. I mean, not that weird, because one was probably Gene's racism, subconscious or not, and the other came after his death, but both were wildly divergent character types on DS9.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, I hate that too.

This one actually makes perfect sense because until Voyager/Generations came along and hosed it up, Deep Space 9 ran with the idea that the black uniforms with colored shoulders were for people based on space stations while the standard uniforms were for starship crew and Starfleet HQ. Sisco even rocks the picard-style command reds when he goes to Starfleet HQ to investigate changelings infiltrating Earth.

Then First Contact happened, and the uniforms became more, well, uniform.

But I think even TOS had it built-in that different ships had different uniforms/insignia on the uniforms.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

This shouldn't annoy me as much as it does, but I hate how Into Darkness and now Disco treat Section 31 as something the entire federation seems to know about when almost nobody in starfleet proper, up to the admiralty, knew they even existed pre-DS9.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

My problem with it specifically is that they were a big secret in canon until Deep Space Nine, again, all the way up to Admiral Ross, but since we as fans know about them, the show treats them like everybody knows about them even in prequels.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

bring back old gbs posted:

cmon guys its SO OBVIOUS the memory of Section 31 is going to get lost in the same black hole the Spore drive gets dumped into
There's a lot of room for the spore drive to be written out believably and convincingly as an interesting footnote of history that's touched on for an hour at the academy by just writing a way that it can never be used again, and since it isn't just a piece of technology and relies on a bullshitium network that could just, for instance, boot the meat-space people from ever loving entering it ever again.

There's been tons of magic space bullshit that, if adopted en-masse, would completely gently caress continuity going forward, but it's always walked back. This one's just lasting seasons instead of one episode.

Of course if they don't write it out and it's just a dangling participle of a technology, I'll be as nerd mad as anybody else.

jfood posted:

section 31 is probably more akin to cointelpro or mkultra... real things that at some point become wild conspiracy theories uttered only by crazy people, eventhough they might still be a real thing at the same time.
Sure, fine, as a post-hoc walking back, that's not the worst idea, but in Deep Space Nine, again, the Admiralty hasn't even heard of it.

Edit: Beaten by an hour and twenty minutes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Peachfart posted:

Section 31 is dumb and writers need to forget about it (until such a time as we're in a post-DS9 timeframe.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm happy at least parts of the internet are coming around on this stuff, because for years you couldn't bring up the creeping bigotry without being called an SJW and getting banned for "causing problems."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I honestly feel like it’s getting worse, not better. I’ve even seen that poo poo creep onto SA, and this place used to pretty good about it.
It was here the whole time and it's been a lot worse. FYAD was always a hotbed of "ironic" racism and the moment GBS 2.0 happened and the rules were relaxed for the sake of "comedy," instantaneously, you saw racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia (this is when the term "Troons" was coined. Thankfully we've reclaimed it.), and every other form of bigotry all bubbled to the surface because you wouldn't get banned for it anymore.

Within a few days, if I recall correctly, one rule returned. No racism. The rest of it was still fine.

All it took was for the threat of the banhammer to be lifted to see how many goons were only holding their poo poo together only for fear of consequence. It was like Trump getting elected. Suddenly people who knew not to be bigots in public were activated like loving racist borg drones.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

HD DAD posted:

“We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Except for the blacks and the Mexicans and the jews. Janeway's Irish people can stay. Because Janeway. :argh:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

God, the borg queen sucked.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Astroman posted:

I don't understand who is this guy? He is not the bald capatin? :confused:

Also where is Mister Spork? The guy with the ears?
And I want a klangons and a borgs.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm a nonbinary queer person four months into my transition and I made a thing about TNG's The Outcast, because in 1992 it got a lot of things super right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKwQYiX172k

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's a Drayman from Wing Commander with a saucer section glued on.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Didn't Uhura exist because there was no universal translator ten years after this happens?

See also: translator box with delay in Star Trek 6 several decades after this.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I never understood why people thought Uhurah was just a switch board operator,.

Like, the radio officer is a pretty important position on modern ships. Imagine how fiddly communication tech is on an ftl ship?
I thought she was a linguistics expert, which, again, is why I didn't like the universal translator thing so much. Introducing tech to eliminate one problem just creates two more. The Orville gets to tell stories that Star Trek can't without saying "there's an energy dampening field inhibiting transporter function" every time they need an excuse to not use the super convenient and plot-destroying technology.

I'm not as huge a stickler for canon as some, but it's getting in the way of the story just as often if not more often than they're ignoring it, so I wish they'd just pick a side.

Are we all about Spock and canon, or can there just be holograms and technology that shouldn't be present in this era and that's okay? Because doing both feels like the worst of both worlds.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

YAAAAAAAAS! Unbury your gays!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So at this point, it's pretty obvious that Jerusalem was a prophet when he dropped that "a klangons and a borgs" scenario years back.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Into Darkness sucks but it doesn't suck to the level that Trek '09 is good
At least Into Darkness was about something, nominally. The entire arc of Trek '09 takes place in its first act, and then moral of the story becomes "if a future version of a person you hate says that you become friends eventually, listen to him," which isn't super relatable in my opinion.

But Into Darkness was still a garbage fire for all the commonly-listed reasons.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Remember that time this show name dropped Elon Musk alongside the Wright Brothers and Zefram Cochrane?

LOL
Yeah, but the dude who did it was from the mirror universe.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I can't believe it's never occurred to me until this moment that the Defiant didn't have warp nacelles.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The Defiant was ugly as gently caress anyway
You bite your tongue!

She's sleek. She's got great lines.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

site posted:

Okay well now I know never to post here again if I don't want to be spoiled. I didn't realize trek people were insane shitheads
Don't listen to the person being an rear end in a top hat.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DrNutt posted:

I don't think I'm the one being an rear end in a top hat.
Who exactly were they being an rear end in a top hat to?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Between those looks and that last name, is he related to David Bowie?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Those guys are sexist shitlords, but they sure know their Star Trek.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Senor Tron posted:

Also a new ships worth of cast and sets for the Enterprise this season and a new time period for Season 3. :v:
Wasn't it just a re-dress of Discovery's bridge?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Astroman posted:

One of the first big Prestige shows, Deadwood, worked that way. David Milch was known for last second scripts and rewrites on the fly.

Of course he's a loving genius, and none of these other showrunners are so...
Deadwood wasn't a mystery box, though. When your show is primarily a vehicle for meandering soliloquies, you can get away with a lot more making it up as you go.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cross-Section posted:

SDCC panel is currently on, they've announced 6 more Short Treks, and David Ajala is playing a new character for S3 Discovery:

https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1152651981242032128

https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1152649812279476224
Dress Picard as Malcolm Reynolds in one show and and have a black guy named Book in the other.

Those are some choices.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Today I learned that Doug Jones was Mac Tonight.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Kelvin timeline is dead for real and the Tarantino flick ain't happening.
Is that your guess, or do you have a link?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

Speaking of Trek videos, I really like this guys vids
https://youtu.be/4e7CXa04w_s

Excuse the kind of bad skit at the end.
I figured it'd be Steve!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

marktheando posted:

Like section 31 are the idiots who screwed everything up, you really have to stretch a lot to see them as the heroes making tough choices.
That's why it's so frustrating that the show treats them as such. It's inconsistent writing.

The spirit of Star Trek has bended toward fascism since Deep Space Nine flirted with it before coming to the conclusion that "no. This is A Bad Thing."

But then Voyager had a lot of Hard Woman Making Hard Choices, Enterprise was post 9/11 and had that stink on it where America was using fiction to justify its own horrific actions. See also: 24. Then Into Darkness had explicit 9/11 trutherism in it and Discovery was all about that fash until the last ten minutes of season 1 and it's been tonally inconsistent at best, but one thing's for sure: nobody's interested in optimism. The story they keep telling, ad infinitum, is that you need to compromise your beliefs and sell your soul a bit to protect other people from having to do so.

And y'know what? gently caress you. I liked the ethos of there always being a better way.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Maybe that IS Morn.
That would explain why he doesn't have any hair, considering Morn lost all his by hiding latinum in one of his stomachs for years.

But really, it's gonna' be that none of them ever had hair because like making young Picard bald in Nemesis, they think fans won't know it's the same species if it has hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Hipster_Doofus posted:

TV IV > Star Trek Discovery: The Boat Runs on Mushrooms
I mean, it's just too good.