Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Ventana posted:

Locked into being like the older series's or locked into following JJtrek? Not sure how to read your conclusion cause it doesn't really feel like Star Trek is on the same path of Star Wars at all imo.

Each series has built a vast universe— indeed as vast as the universe itself— with infinite storytelling potential. Each one tried to tap into this potential and do something slightly out of the box in the 90's/2000's (DS9 for Trek, the prequels for Wars), with debatable results. Studios subsequently have decided that in order for each franchise to be successful, all future stories must revolve around a core set of familiar old elements.

In Wars' case, X-Wings, Tie Fighters, lightstabers, and constant Darth Vader shoehorns. In Trek, Starfleet ships, phasers, transporters, Vulcans, Klingons, and Kirk/Spock. (And my guess would be TNG characters again once they tap that out.)

The result is that despite having a whole galaxy and more as your storytelling playground, you end up with a repetitive, small, and stale storytelling world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

My favorite thing about TPM is that so little of it matters that you could easily just go straight into AotC and not really miss much of anything

The Naboo stuff doesn't matter. The Trade Federation becomes a footnote in Episodes 2 and 3 as they get rolled into being Sidious' pawns along with the Geonosians. Padme and Anakin barely interact much in TPM so you don't miss anything with that. Darth Maul, for all of the buildup we get with him, is irrelevant after TPM. Qui Gon is only in TPM to die and convince Obi Wan to train Anakin even though the Jedi Counsel knows it's a bad idea.

Really the only major thing is that Jar Jar somehow becomes a Senator and casts the deciding vote to create the Empire, because of course he does

none of the prequel trilogy matters. We were capable of enjoying chapters 4-6 for twenty years without it.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

marktheando posted:

Dunno why people think the Klingons are ISIS when they are clearly Trump's America.

Seems to me like they illustrated similarities between both.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

The Bloop posted:

The dead guy wasn't in an alien ship made of who knows what and full of corpses.

It was their bomb on their transporter pad.

It's really not analogous situation

Yeah, I guess it's pretty easy to imagine that dead bodies just all look like lifeless, humanoid-shaped masses on the scanners, and for beam-out purposes you may be reliant on a life sign to make sure you get the person you are looking for.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I finally put my finger on what the Discovery pilot reminded me of. It's basically a first-person shooter where you start assaulting the good guys on your team for no reason, and gently caress up the mission. The last scene with the shadowy authorities throwing Michael in prison for life is basically a "game over" cut screen.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Autism Sneaks posted:

what the actual gently caress

Michelle Yeoh is famous for Kung-Fu movies.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

HD DAD posted:

There's a preview clip floating out there from Burnham's first introduction to engineering on Discovery that's much more the tone that we're accustomed to in Trek.

Spoilers:
http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/29/star-trek-discovery-anthony-rapp/

"My uncle is in a Beatles cover band..."

After two centuries, would they still call it a "cover band?" Like, if I have a string quartet that does all Beethoven, would I call it a "Beethoven cover band?"

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I do like the idea of this being a ship of mostly scientists that has been co-opted by the war effort.

Saru is still the best character so far.

If they do it right, I could see this setup serving as a metaphor for idealism and science persevering despite authoritarianism, which could be timely.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I can buy 100 years of no mutinies in a fantasy future if there is no war, finite resources, or particular dire straights to mutiny over.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

It would have been an amazing bait-and-switch if Captain Lorca revealed at the end of this one that he wasn't in fact the authoritarian warmonger Michael assumed and Discovery was on some top-secret mission of science or peace.

Still on board to see where they are going.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Kenzie posted:

There was a DS9 episode that did that too.

I'm liking New Trek okay but I wish they would cut down on all the goddamn orange and blue all over every loving thing and the uniforms suck and I don't like the pew pew lasers over the peeeeeeeeewwwwww lasers of TNG. There that's my Star Trek Opinion.

And Voyager! And Enterprise's T'Pol got gently caress fever in an episode.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Decius posted:

It is exactly the same scenario of the start of "Into Darkness". And just like there, they don't manage to do it unseen.

This whole thing is basically "Into Darkness: The Series."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I don't like it because the world is a downer and having Trek return to the air after 12 years and be a downer too feels like a kick in the crotch.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I wonder if this show would be better received if it came out right on the heels of Enterprise instead of 12 years later. I feel like Trek has been off the air for so long it's kind of weird it's being revived and deconstructed at the same time.

It almost seems to me like you need to reset what the baseline for what the Trek universe is first, then deconstruct it.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

This show is full of incompetent assholes who abandon their principles at the first sign of trouble.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

The romantic chemistry between the two Klingon actors buried in makeup and speaking gibberish is more believable than the two prissy gay stereotypes.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I hope the macroscopic monster turns out to be sentient and becomes a crewmember.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Wait, the mushrooms are supposed to be some sort of Alice in Wonderland allusion, aren't they?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Watching this show, I feel like Milhouse watching the new Itchy, Scratchy, and Poochy Show

"When are they going to get to the fireworks factory Star Trek stuff..." :qq:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

The bridge is underneath the saucer but gravity was not reversed so the rest of the saucer section was above their heads. The Klingons used magnetic boots when in the wreck of the Shenzhou.
The producers have confirmed ST:D happens in the TNG/DS9/etc (non-JJ Abrams) timeline.

I feel like they are walking a legal tightrope trying to give the impression that this is indeed official JJ Abrams-verse Star Trek show, but for legal reasons must tell the media it's still the original timeline, which CBS is licensed to work with.

I have a feeling they'd prefer to just be in the Kelvin timeline. (And really, so would I, just so as to more completely disregard the prequel issues.)

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I hope this show blatantly rips off that "All Along the Watchtower" bit from BSG but except the song is "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I hope instead of ending with the spore network technology being destroyed/abandonded/rendered useless, it somehow allows for a second season about the ship exploring all kinds of new parts of the universe. Like maybe they go on a deeply classified exploration of Andromeda or something. Maybe there are whole arcs about them getting stuck in far flung situations which don't conflict with canon because of how remote they are.

Admittedly wishful thinking.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

mr. unhsib posted:

Maybe Voq is Ash Tyler's "Klingon makeup"? And that's why he looked kinda off?

I like this theory, but then if you're going to go through all the trouble of giving yourself a fake giant head and such, why would you make yourself an albino, since that's apparently a big deal to Klingons?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

skasion posted:

This holodeck was a lot less stupid powerful than the TNG or even TAS one also. It's not like capable of defeating Data supermachine that could solve every problem on the ship if not for its constant lethal malfunctions, it's more like a VR shooting gallery.

I'm okay believing that the holodeck as presented in the 24 century is just a vast improvement on technology that has been around since the 23rd. Maybe hologram simulations have been around for a while, but the 24th century version is capable of creating more sophisticated environments more quickly, with vastly improved realism in terms of smell, taste, and touch, better AI, etc.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 23, 2017

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

This last episode seemed to have a lot of technical improvements in my eye. I felt like everything was pleasingly lit for a change, and it was refreshing seeing at least one Klingon at the end that could actually move his arms and stuff like a regular person. I thought designs like planet Vulcan and the holodeck effect were gorgeous.

I also dig some of the more psychedelic stuff that seems to be emerging, hope that continues to be a trend.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Angry Salami posted:

Yeah, the Klingons here looked a lot better; the costumes were better too. I also liked how the elders of wherever had a sort of goofy TOS look to them; they'd have fit in nicely alongside the fake Balok in "Carbomite Maneuver" or the Melkot.

Ha, yeah, I thought the same thing. They totally had that look of one of those TOS races that likes to kidnap warring races and teach them a lesson in diplomacy.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Oh, yeah, and the replicator cracked me up how it's designed to tell you about the food you just ordered. "Burritos: excellent source of carbohydrates, protein, etc."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

Sarek tells the viewer what is happening practically to the camera, then Michael explains what is happening, then Tilly chimes in explaining what a katra is, and then Lorca says he knows all about this. Clunk.

They used to do this sort of thing all the time on DS9. Here, though, I have no idea who that's for. Why are you trying to get the casual viewer up to speed when this thing isn't even airing on regular TV?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

"Waaaaahhh we can't do that!!!" – Every Saru line

Reverse Worf

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Yeah, I don't know how you could say her behavior "makes no sense in context." Her arc is literally learning how to incorporate emotions into her life after a hosed-up childhood.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

marktheando posted:

Logic extremists are fine, because they are extremely stupid nonsense they fit in to established Vulcan culture.

On one hand it struck me as dumb because violence in the name of logic strikes me as the type of thing Vulcans would say is illogical. On the other hand, that's about the level of reasoning pretty much every religious extremist terrorist follows IRL, so it makes sense.

I'd rather see the utopia, but I get what they are going for in showing all the different factions suffering from their own extreme nativist movements.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I like the lady admiral, she had a nice bit of naturalism to her. She seemed like a regular person that happened to be a high-ranking official, a nice change of pace from the one-note stiff-asses that tend to fill those roles.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Really, because to me she comes across as both a stiffass and an idiot. Blah blah blah, "you have to step down Lorca," she says as she is literally putting her clothes on after sleeping with him. Just another character in this show that has constantly terrible judgment unbecoming of their role.

She's an idiot because she gave an old friend and lover the benefit of the doubt?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Hey, remember when they did a whole episode about that incompetent creep Picard romancing his subordinate? What a scumbag, they should have drummed him out of the service for that one.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

They're regular flawed human beings that did a thing they probably shouldn't have, that's good enough for me

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

LMAO at when Mudd just flat-out called that random communications dude "random communications dude" or whatever.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

The fact that they went through the time loop dozens of times that we didn't see is good enough for me to suspend my disbelief that maybe they tried some of the "obvious" solutions and they just didn't work for whatever reason.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

I think the reason is "Shut up, that's why."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

That's why the ending felt so TOS to me. It had an element of improvised frontier justice that makes sense if you're out in the middle of nowhere and it's impractical to bring a prisoner back to civilization for a proper trial. I feel like if you look at it from that angle it works, but I think it falls apart if we're to presume they can shuttle people back and forth to Starfleet command whenever they want.

Arglebargle III posted:

Don't forget unauthorized access to a computer, brandishing, assault with a deadly weapon, piracy, and molesting an endangered species.

Also, wasn't he also wanted for a bank robbery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I feel like there are too many bare walls in the Orville. The SFX are good, ship design is good, and certain set pieces can be alright, but I feel like there are too many plain beige backgrounds for my tastes. Needs more blinking lights, windows, monitors or something.