Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It was mentioned last page but actual tardigrades do exactly the same thing RE: drying out/cryptobiosis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

quote:

Tardigrades are one of the few groups of species that are capable of suspending their metabolism (see cryptobiosis). Many species of tardigrade can survive in a dehydrated state up to five years, or in exceptional cases longer.[39] Depending on the environment, they may enter this state via anhydrobiosis, cryobiosis, osmobiosis, or anoxybiosis. While in this state, their metabolism lowers to less than 0.01% of normal and their water content can drop to 1% of normal.[13] Their ability to remain desiccated for such long periods was thought to be largely dependent on the high levels of the nonreducing sugar trehalose, which protects their membranes, though recent research suggests that tardigrades have a unique type of disordered protein that serves a similar purpose: It replaces water in the cells and adopts a glassy, vitrified state when the animals dry out. [40] Their DNA is further protected from radiation by a protein called "dsup" (short for damage suppressor).[41][42] In this cryptobiotic state, the tardigrade is known as a tun.[43]

they're actually super badass

quote:

Tardigrades are one of the most resilient animals known.[10][11] Individual species of tardigrades can survive extreme conditions that would be rapidly fatal to nearly all other known life forms, including complete global mass extinction events due to astrophysical events, such as supernovae, gamma-ray bursts, or large meteorite impacts.[10][11] Some tardigrades can withstand temperatures down to 1 K (−458 °F; −272 °C) (close to absolute zero) while others can withstand 420 K (300 °F; 150 °C)[12] for several minutes, pressures about six times greater than those found in the deepest ocean trenches, ionizing radiation at doses hundreds of times higher than the lethal dose for a human, and the vacuum of outer space.[13] They can go without food or water for more than 30 years, drying out to the point where they are 3% or less water, only to rehydrate, forage, and reproduce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also, my hot take is that the spore network taps into the mirror universe and opens a gateway between the universes while it's active, which is why it's never used or mentioned by the time the older series take place.

Admittedly die-hard fans will probably lose their minds over the literal interpretation of "mirror Stamets" and the lack of mustache but that's a doozy of a red herring if it's not.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Star Trek....

Generations....

Hmm....

Was a lovely movie?

And that means Star Trek: Discovery is bad???

Oh goddammit.

OH poo poo

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

how timely https://www.avclub.com/drat-it-jim-a-brief-history-of-swearing-on-star-trek-1819617254

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

This won't happen, but it popped into my head and I'm posting for posterity:

By the end of the season, Michael and her mother will save the future, and the reason we never, ever hear about Michael from Spock is because she goes to the future with her mother permanently

Bonus: Mama and Michael's survival into the future somehow involves erasing everyone's memories of them from the present

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I think if he was dead they wouldn't bother showing his eye returning to normal. He's been infected and is now part of Control.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

In the season finale, Control and Michael do the fusion dance and become the Borg Queen

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, I know, but did they say it was an Earth beach?

I mean her insides look pretty human from the computer screen, and you see her brain, but why does it matter?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

You know, if I was a time-traveling mom I'd go back and save my daughter from death before her skin started peeling off her face

I thought the whole point was she had to be actually, clinically dead for it to work

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Yeah but why though, she has TIME TRAVEL. She could conceivably show up a tad early and ease some suffering but that would be less dramatic. Tortured screams = Drama

It's probably like in Back to the Future where mama Burnham has a photo of Michael and she doesn't start fading out of the photo until she's actually dead

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yeah, but even then... eh, nevermind.

the sooner you realize it's "eh, nevermind" all the way down the more you can enjoy the show, my friend.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's extremely strongly implied to be Control, not Georgiou

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's blatantly nanoprobes or whatever from Control, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered to show his eye turn from milky white back to normal after he hits the ground.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

They kind of don't though. People are always being called away from personal matters, or a junior officer is on bridge and has to call it in. Stations are frequently occupied by other crew and the ships generally feel big and well staffed.

It's not the biggest deal, but it does go to what Chef Nuts was saying about the world of STD feeling small.

From the main roster of background characters barely getting lines yet always being there, to every major plot point revolving around a very small group of people who are all deeply entangled in each other's lives. Every twist and revelation in STD has only served to make the universe smaller.

It's hard to make audiences care about saving the world/universe plots when they never get to see it.

What is your av from btw? I really like it

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

6000? Holy poo poo i did not know that, that seems insane. The biggest cruise ship in the world, fully loaded with staff, crew and passengers, is under 6000.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That is true, apparently 2500 of those 6000 are air crew only involved with the planes on the carrier.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I found a picture of the new Klingon flagship for season 3:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

I thought Green and Sohn worked really well together, Sohn in particular during their first meeting (to be fair, it's the better part of the two)

Speaking of, did she ever get another really good role? Browsing imdb the only stuff I recognise is Burn Notice which I'm probably not going to watch, even if it does have Bruce Campbell in it.

I'm assuming you've seen The Wire? She's easily one of the best characters on that show.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ah ok. Then no, sadly. Although TBH aside from Idris Elba, Lance Reddick and I guess Littlefinger from Game of Thrones, nobody from that show really blew up after it ended.

Although the guy who played Cutty now plays Klyden on The Orville :v:

e: which is a shame because they're all extremely talented. The dude who played Marlo is straight-up the scariest mofo I've ever seen in a TV role.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 1, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

mods pls change name to Potential Megahitler tyvmia

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

crossover Vikings episode

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ookiimarukochan posted:

Considerably less silly when you remember that season 1 showed us that all(?) Starfleet apps are written in C to the win32 API.

brb writing a strongly-worded letter to the Memory Alpha editors

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

do you think they still call them apps in the future or have they reverted back to programs again

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hot take: showing Pike his ultimate fate was really dumb. Not only is it not actually his "ultimate fate" or whatever (yes he gets confined to the box but then he gets a somewhat happy ending on Talos), but the training exercise disaster they actually show on Disco looks like it would be extremely avoidable on a number of levels, considering just how much is actually shown to him.

e: it's not like it has any actual effect on the story whatsoever, we already know Pike is an excellent captain who would sacrifice himself for Starfleet's ideals

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 5, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah the face-melty thing was also extremely weird and random

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

pidan posted:

I don't mind that he was scared by that future, it's more the way it was presented. Wheelchair Pike approaching from the darkness like some movie monster, melting ominously. And then present Pike falling on his rear end and going "is saving all life really worth this fate?!".

If the scene had been Pike watching his future self sitting alone in his wheelchair in a normal environment, or some other realistic downside of his future state, and then reacting to it like a normal person (ie this is a very unpleasant future, but I have to accept it) -- I wouldn't have a problem with that.

this is the most tedious woke bullshit

e: especially for a show that's already presented other disabled people as fully capable members of Starfleet

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ashpanash posted:

It's delta radiation, which is way worse than alpha, beta, or gamma radiation because it's, like, even more radiationistic!

Alpha radiation is less dangerous than beta radiation, and gamma radiation is the most dangerous of the 3. Delta radiation is a thing that exists so it's not super far-fetched for them to be like "yeah this is even worse than gamma radiation" and gamma radiation is really bad.

skasion posted:

I guaran-loving-tee whoever wrote the original Menagerie script where the term was used was thinking exactly what you posted though.

You are probably right, but in a happy coincidence it's a fairly reasonable assumption to make, considering the time period

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 5, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

so if he takes the crystal, sees his immutable future, and immediately eats a phaser, does time collapse?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

No, because monks lie.

no need to resort to hurtful stereotypes

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also gotta love how the revelation that he will die in a Starfleet training accident is an absolute dead giveaway that they're going to get out of this mess. Like obviously we the audience know that, but they basically told Pike "by taking this time crystal you will seal your fate which is very obviously not to die to along with the rest of the galaxy to a killer AI"

all this for a dumb bit of fanservice, we already got Talosians, did we really need this throwback too?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

pidan posted:

The Klingons are ok, now that they have hair they even look decent. They could probably get rid of those fake teeth though - I get that's supposed to be an accent, but it just makes it hard to catch what they're saying.

Think of your ESL fans please

This is some powerful irony right here lol

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Short Trek seems to establish that only the ship is there. Presumably they get a new ship for S3.

My assumptions:

-Pike and Spock return to Enterprise
-Control gets lured into/trapped on Disco and they launch it into the future (and forget a guy on the ship?), Control evolves into the friendly lady AI in the Short Trek
-The plan to launch Disco into the future also gives Michael a chance to go back in time and save her parents, cue a lot of emotional scene-chewing on "what about trapped-in-the-future mom, she won't exist anymore" etc.
-Rewriting the past also makes it that since she never lost her parents, Michael never met Spock, they have an emotional parting scene before it happens, and sometime before Spock and Pike return to Enterprise, there's another emotional scene where they don't recognize each other (potentially with a 3rd character in the background who magically remembers both timelines for added impact)
-S3 we get Discovery-A, Captain Burnham (It will never, ever be Saru.)
-S31 was already wiped out by Control, Starfleet says "well this was kind of all your fault so we're just not rebuilding" but OMG Georgiou is still defending the ideals of Starfleet secretly (the explanation will be she still doesn't care about Starfleet but admits she cares enough about Michael to help keep her world from falling apart or whatever, and being a sneaky evil black ops lady is the best way she knows how)

The writers get to have their cake and eat it too as far as the Spock thing, they get a whole season of him but by changing the timeline they also get an explanation for why they could spend a whole season repairing Spock's relationship with Michael and then he NEVER MENTIONS HER AGAIN. As a bonus, loving with the timeline also lets them throw in a nudge-wink as to "well if time can be changed MAAAYBE that's not actually Pike's ultimate fate!" to give him a slightly less depressing sendoff too.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Zesty posted:

Because he's in a dream-state experiencing all of his future compressed into a single moment of the overall emotion and feeling of his future existence. It's like an existential panic attack.

His face isn't literally going to melt off while he's scootering down a cooridor.

I mean yeah, it was still kind of a weird extra touch. We get that he's freaking the gently caress out, and we get that his future self is a hollow monstrous shell in a metal box, it would have been fine to just have his face have massive black scars like on TOS.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Good predictions above, but my theory is that they decide to fight fire with fire against Control and use the sphere data to grant Discovery's computer sentience.

Hmm

I'm trying to figure out a way to involve Disco becoming sentient, Control, the Spore Drive, and the Borg all together. But if the plan is to throw Control out to the Delta quadrant where it becomes the Borg, I can't reconcile that with why Disco would get thrown into the future as well. It's either-or as far as I can see it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Future Discovery AI is Airiam. All her memories were transferred to the ship’s computer. After centuries alone, they gain sentience and become the ship’s computer.

I like this. They launch Disco into the future to protect the sphere data AND they launch Control into the Delta Quadrant with the spore drive. It all comes together! :downs:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'd like a Picard show where he's just TNG-era Spock, going around solving inter-species conflicts by Talking Impressively and Smartly

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah you're right, the overall point is the same though - for her own reasons, despite Starfleet disbanding and disavowing S31, she's gonna keep soldiering on.

Disco being Disco I wouldn't be surprised if at some point she saves the life of a pregnant lady named Jill Sloan.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I think I liked it better when they were playing beer pong

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I had no clue who Tig Notaro was before Disco but now I want to know everything about her :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

If you didn't know, by the way, Anson Mount is a goddamned treasure and his Twitter is full of cool behind-the-scenes stuff, dude seems to really be loving this gig

https://twitter.com/ansonmount/status/1111725820899442688
https://twitter.com/ansonmount/status/1115402539141300225