Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Good OP. I didn't think about the prospect of her being raised Vulcan. I think that could allow for some Trek-style allegory, because people won't get a bug up their assholes if she's critiquing Vulcan society. Or maybe they will, who knows.

skasion posted:

"nobody wants to hear about the taxation of outlying trade routes and votes of no confidence" is definitely a complaint that people have seriously made about the SW prequels. Mind you people, sometimes the same people, have also criticized them for being too juvenile and silly.
I don't get why people say it's about smugglers. There is one smuggler character. He is important and cool of course, but it's like millions of nerds are desperately all trying to huff a charming dude's beer farts from when he was playing a role he kind of hated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lord Krangdar posted:

I don't really get the extreme focus on adherence to canon/continuity by so many fans of this franchise. If it helps you enjoy the series, or it helps the writers write it, then its all good. If not, throw it out the drat airlock. Why keep it around just to get in the way?

I've never heard of comic readers getting mad that Batman's costume and physical dimensions change constantly depending on who draws him, like its ruining their immersion. That sort of thing is just accepted in other franchises (another obvious example is James Bond). Yet for this series the same sort of criticisms are endless. Why?
To address your last part first: They take great pains to put all this poo poo in the exact same time frame and situation. That was a lot of the sales pitch: 'it's before Kirk and Spock!' So when it looks more like the JJ Trek stuff it's like, what? I think your analogy is also imperfect because Batman and James Bond implicitly take place in 'the modern day,' more or less, while Trek is in a particular vision of the future. For myself I wouldn't want blind adherence, but at least take a swing.

As for the first part, I think you have a lot of wisdom here, but there are still aspects that make a thing "that thing" as opposed to something else. This is largely a matter of taste, but I think we can agree that, for instance, having James Bond be an agent of the United States of America, emigrating to the United States, and engaging in tacticool gunplay in a randomly generated Middle Eastern town would be kind of misusing the idea of "James Bond."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I think the Enterprise novels (of course there were novels) theorize that the apparent regression between ENT and TOS was basically a way to make Starfleet ships intrinsically unhackable after the Romulans merrily exploited the ubiquitous distributed cloud networking mesh Earthican technology had warmly embraced.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

well why not posted:

It doesn't. Skyrim was 2011. This looks better than that. This looks better than most movies and beats out stuff like The Expanse pretty easily.
Well I should certainly hope the future space man TV show doesn't look like Skyrim.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

What happens if the Klanks copy the drive and dump fungicide out of the cargo bay?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Angry Salami posted:

My main thing is I still don't understand what the mushroom drive actually does. Does it teleport you from one mushroom to another? But they imply the Glenn's crew got hosed up by hitting something like a black hole while traveling - did they teleport to the wrong place, or does the ship still have to deal with objects in the intervening space when it travels?

It just seems poorly explained. It doesn't have to make scientific sense, but I like to have some sort of basic idea in my head of what the thing does. I want to know what makes it better than regular warp other than it's faster. For all the time dedicated to fungus, I still don't really have an idea of what it's doing, and it makes the whole thing feel arbitrary.
Based on reading Memory Alpha, who may not know what the gently caress either, it seems like the idea is that all space is pervaded by fungal strands, which are also where all this panspermia comes from. They give the bear the titty torture so it makes the ship go straight.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The Bloop posted:

He's like an information broker. He hangs out in retched hives of scum and villainy
"Information broker" is the glamorous sci-fi name for "snitch" right

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

That sounds awful

How the hell would the Ferengi of all people be the dominant power?
Because many people can more easily imagine the end of the world than the end of modern capitalism, or at least, its position as anything other than top dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

The super obsessive toy stuff was weird.
Well it's that or have conversations about themes and so forth.