Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

The Bloop posted:

It's on at the half-hour? What the hell is this insistence with doing everything possible to fail.

It might be on at the half-hour, maybe, depending on when the football game ends. 60 Minutes has to air after that, of course, then STD. After that we can watch whenever we want on All Access, as long as when we want is after they put up the episode each Sunday(???) at ??? time. Thankfully you'll only have to keep track of that during the first "chapter" of 8 episodes, as they are breaking the season in half. The second "chapter" starts in January sometime, and things might have changed by then, maybe? Make sure to keep your All Access account active the whole time to keep updated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

Because it's set at a time when Klingon-Human relations are a very fraught unknown?

Why not make this a sequel and the Klingons a new race? Were they that attached to shoehorning in Sarek?

skasion posted:

Bryan Fuller is an idiot and thinks it is interesting

You could be right, but I'm not going to blame him since he was fired and they could have and did change anything of his they wanted to.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

EvilHawk posted:

Just saw both eps, having never seen a Star Trek series in full (I think I caught a few eps of TNG and a season or two of Enterprise). I have seen (and liked) both films, so I understand Trekkies will probably hate me.

I liked it. It was interesting enough to keep me entertained (even through the overly lengthy Klingon scenes), deep enough to keep me wanting to know more, but not so overly full of call backs and fan service that it turned me off. It's clearly designed for the "casual" fan in mind. I was a bit worried when Michael tried to mutiny. It seemed really close to how Kirk takes power in the 2009 film, but they swerved away from it quite well and the resolution was pretty clear. I did also like how morally grey the two sides were. The Klingons clearly baited the Federation, but the Federation couldn't help but interfere. Both sides had clear motivations (unity and honour vs defence of territory and revenge). Both sides committed war crimes. Both sides paid for their sins. From what I have seen the Federation has always seemed to be this morally pure master race that either assimilated or destroyed the savage aliens. I'd like them to explore this more (though, I'm sure this has been shown elsewhere in the canon).

I don't know enough about the canon to talk (or care) about it, all I know is that it was pretty, interesting sci fi which has been sorely lacking recently. I reckon the average viewer will enjoy it.

I've seen a few people mention that both sides are morally grey. How is anything the Klingons did morally grey?

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Autism Sneaks posted:

It is the textbook definition of a parody.

What parts of Star Trek are they exaggerating or making fun of?

There is perhaps a tiny amount of parody, but the show is mostly played straight and the jokes that are there are in-universe.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

The Bloop posted:

CBS has apparently announced that due to "success" with All Access subscription numbers, they are changing the airdate schedule.

Instead of showing 8 then 7 episodes, they will now air 9 then 6!

What the gently caress is this and why do they think it matters? Doesn't this mess with the whole serial nature? Did they not have a mid-season break mini-cliffhanger or anything?

idgi

They are trying to get an extra month out of subscribers on the front side before they cancel.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

So that's the telescope from the Shenzou, eh?

I like that they bothered to go back to save the telescope but didn't bother self-destruct or destroy the wreck so the Klingons couldn't get their technology.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

And we finally learn how the portal to hell was opened in Doom. Poor pinky demon

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

teagone posted:

I've never watched a Star Trek episode in my life. Took a chance on this since I really enjoyed the 2009 movie (thought Into Darkness and Beyond were meh). I really like this show :shobon:

Enjoy! It was made for you.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Can you show fake Klingon titties in syndication? It seems like Tyler definitely is some sort of Klingon spy and it's going to be super lame.

Once you have a character that is not recognizably human, you can show all the titties you want. That is why they went overboard with the face prosthetics. It is considered basically equivalent to showing a naked cat now.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Bryan Fuller wanted Discovery to be an anthology Star Trek show. Hasn't it turned into that, just with the Discovery being constant every season?

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

FuturePastNow posted:

It looks like they're making a bunch of 12-13 episode miniseries to see what sticks. We'll probably only get more seasons of the 2 or 3 most popular ones.

I wonder how cost effective that is with Star Trek. Normally sci-fi shows have large startup costs, but maybe they can reuse a lot more than normal with 40 Star Trek shows being produced at once.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Kelvin timeline is dead for real and the Tarantino flick ain't happening.

Kelvin might be dead but its spirit will live on in Discovery and Picard.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Pastamania posted:

Netflix basically bankrolled it in return for international rights. Whatever it does for that CBS streaming service is basically irrelevant for the future of the show, Netflix is the real buyer. Given they have a nasty habit of just suddenly canning shows after 2 seasons if the viewership isn't there and gently caress you if you wanted any sort of resolution, and given Disco made it to S3, it's probably done ok.

Supposedly that was just for season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

CoolCab posted:

oh it's definitely still a flagship Netflix title in the UK - bus ads and promotional support and everything.

No doubt it is still a major title for them - I've just heard that they were pretty dissatisfied with the first season and where the first season was indeed paid for by the Netflix deal CBS had to cover a lot of season 2.

This is backed up in the fight between CBS and Netflix over Short Treks (supposedly CBS wanted Netflix to pay the same amount for those they were for the full episodes, and in the end they basically gave them to Netflix) and that Netflix wasn't even involved in the bidding for Picard.