Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
So uh this show is being really loving heavy handed with the blatant "Modern Prestige Show" style of foreshadowing.

Totally agree with whoever posted up-thread that it feels like they're setting up a season long Year of Hell style arc with an ending that somehow incorporates another Michael-mutiny and a timeline reset that prevents the Klingon war from starting.

Edit: I mean seriously what else could they be going for with a two parter pilot that could have been rolled into a few lines of dialogue or a flashback. Plus the entire crew of Discovery are shown to be either blatantly evil or assholes (minus roommate girl) in the establishing episode.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Lord Krangdar posted:

I don't see why there would have to be a timeline reset. Rather, I predict the war will end once Starfleet realizes any diplomacy with the Klingons needs to be based in their concept of honor and not in so-very-human platitudes like "we come in peace". They will come to the same place that Sarek said Vulcans and Klingons came to, just with many more lives lost.

Putting this in spoilers but it's just my dumb late night speculation:

The crew of the Discovery were introduced for the first time this episode and so far they're ALL either blatantly evil (with literal "Evil Guy" music stings) or else unlikeable assholes (except for the roommate girl). That's pretty loving weird for a Trek show, even if it's a gritty Expanse/BSG Trek-hybrid show. Add in the multiple references that Discovery would be doing typical Trek exploration/sciencey poo poo if not for the war started by the main character of the show and I feel pretty confident we'll see something like the following:

* Mutiny against Lorcas filling the requisite HBO-show character development thing where the main character's big tragedy gets flipped into something positive
* Timeline reset that erases the Klingon war and completes Michael's Amazing Redemption Story
* Leading into season 2 Discovery is back to science stuff, crew either gone or changed somehow by timeline reset to not be evil assholes
* Michael now Capt of Discovery (bit of a reach this early in the show, but she's the main character and Lorcas is obv the Big Bad of this season and they ain't making scared alien dude Captain for season 2)

Leathal fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 3, 2017

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Lord Krangdar posted:

Speculation isn't spoilers.

They're not all evil or assholes, they're all tense because its a war and we're seeing mostly negative sides of them because our POV character is someone of ill repute. Lorca will probably turn out to fill the villain role, yeah, but so far he is just making the same tough moral decisions that every previous Trek captain faced. We know he's up to something shady, obviously, but so was Sisko during In the Pale Moonlight, or Archer when he stranded an innocent ship so his could continue to fight the Xindi.

Characters keep mentioning that Starfleet is supposed to be about science and not war because the show is acknowledging that the darker tone so far is not what we expect from a Trek show. The writers are telling us that they know that, the characters know that, and its part of the story. That doesn't have to mean a time travel reset, though. With Year of Hell they hit the rest button because otherwise coming back from that level of loss and destruction was too much for a less-serialized show like Voyager to handle, even with their usual propensity for hand-waving that sort of thing. This time the point appears to be to show how Starfleet went through rough periods and survived to grow into the relatively utopian society seen in other Trek series.

Yeah but Sisko and, to a lesser extent, Archer were both fleshed-out characters who were shown going through a moral dilemma ending in an agonized decision that "the ends justifies the means". If DS9 S1E1 began ten minutes into "Pale Moonlight" we could draw some comparisons to Discovery - but even that hypothetical sort of doesn't work either since we'd see Sisko being clearly distressed by the path he's taking, trying to push responsibility on to Garak, and eventually coming to a reluctant conclusion that he can live with it. The closest Discovery's come to that is a brief aside where the engineer/researcher guy is kvetching about how they'd be doing more science and exploration if not for the war.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the show so far, but the whole tone right from the jump is wildly different and darker from other Trek - even DS9 mid-Dominion War and Enterprise. I just don't understand why the showrunners would decide to take Trek in a much darker direction while also *specifically choosing* to saddle themselves with the huge constraint that everything happens in the prime universe less than ten years before TOS. It's not like TOS was the sappy super-utopia of TNG and the other 90's shows, but I'm having a tough time seeing how they bridge the gap between the protagonist of one series revenge-killing a Klingon in the pilot to the protagonist of a series set a few years later indulging in even darker urges like doctor prescribed martinis and toga-wearing space gods.

That's a hell of a needle to thread for zero reason since they could have easily set the show post-Voyager or in another alternate timeline or even in the drat mirror universe.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
A captains log, technobabble, blind optimism (even from Burnham!), holy poo poo this might be a Trek show after all.

Toss in a genuinely surprising twist Georgio's fate in a show where every plot twist has been telegraphed for months and I'm thinking this might be my favorite episode of the whole season.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Cool episode but wow the prime directive stuff was all over the place and I wasn’t a fan of how Pike kept gaslighting the poo poo out of poor Jacob until Burnham (easily) convinces him that the Prime Directive somehow doesn’t apply in this situation. And then, instead of offering Jacob a ride back to the Federation only to be turned down with a wistful “I have a family/life here” excuse like literally every other time this situation has happened in Trek - he shakes his hand and gives him insanely advanced futuretech. What.

Back of my mind I was kinda hoping one of the set designers snuck in a Sisko nametag or reference somewhere in Jacob’s pile of basement belongings just to see what insane theories the internet responded with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Culber’s existential crisis is by far the most interesting plot line on this show and I really hope that the “30 Seconds of Cringe Pop-Psychology with Admiral WarCrimes” scene wasn’t implying he’s all better now with that smile at the end.

Totally agree with the goon consensus that this episode was terrible, but gotta give props to the guy playing Spock for how well he imitates Nimoy’s gravelly voice. Also stuff like saying phase-or instead of phaser etc. He’s far superior to Quinto, and that dude had Nimoy alive and on-hand to coach him with the role.