Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Didn't they already make enough money selling the rights on netflix to pay for 2 seasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Show was fine :shrug: I enjoyed it more than the completely bland offbrand trek known as The Orville.

Make The Klingon Empire Great Again!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 25, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

How can you possibly have such a low bar of quality?

:ironicat: from someone who likes the orville

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

This show is just ok so far but I'm kinda sad that Bryan Fuller's idea for the show got scrapped. An american horror story type sci fi show sounds a lot cooler than what we're gonna end up with and I enjoyed hannibal and american gods enough to have trusted fuller to do it right.

American Hannibal in Space! Flying around the galaxy and cooking every single species into delicious dishes so that people will worship you as a god.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

lmao read the loving thread dude

My bad :negative:

Zaphod42 posted:

I loved voyager. Janeway was great!

Yeah the series got goofy in some episodes but that's the fun with episodic formats, TOS and TNG did that poo poo too and they're classic. And the beginning of Voyager is really compelling, they did some smart stuff. You have two different crews get ported way the gently caress out to nowhere, forced to combine into one crew of two different groups, consolidate their ranks, and then find a way home. The return voyage story was different and fresh for Star Trek, but it still let them do the Roddenberry style exploration framework, so it was very much still Trek, more so than DS9. Lots of great characters, Chakotay, Janeway, Sevenof9, The loving Doctor! and yes, even Paris.

Now Enterprise, Enterprise was trash.

Did they ever do anything with the 2 different crews being in conflict with each other? Because that was brushed aside super fast, like end of the pilot fast. The episodic nature was the thing that hurt it the most. lol Janeway and Chakotay being great characters.

Voyager was dogshit and wasted potential.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

We don't need anything for Enterprise because there's no reason to talk about it. :taylor:

And we do call it DS9, for Deep Space Nine, the name. STDS9 is the same thing just longer, so of course you shorten it.

The show is called "Star Trek Discovery". STD is the most natural abbreviation.
Deal with it. If they didn't want that, they should have called it something else. Especially since it has nothing to do with discovery!

:thunk:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Is Voyager abbreviated to STV or V?

(This is the silliest argument and I love it)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ozmunkeh posted:

People refuse to give credence to the idea that someone could watch DS9 and come away with the idea that it's anything but "the good one". Any deviation from that opinion is met with sheer disbelief. I'd rather watch Voyager because at least with that you get wacky hi-jinks and an occasional hilariously well-intentioned but somewhat problematic chakotay goes on a spirit quest episode.

It's not bad like big bang theory or some generic police procedural are bad, I mean it's SciFi TV and I'll eat that poo poo up but it's not the best and is mostly a slog.

You are making it too obvious

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Comrade Fakename posted:

Oh, and btw, this fourth episode that people are raving about was literally a retread of the old TOS episode For The World Is Hollow And I Have Touched The Sky, just with much less likeable characters. Is that what people really want out of Star Trek? Warmed over stories they've seen before with even worse writing and poo poo jokes? At least Discovery is doing something with Trek that it hasn't done much of before.

Judging by the reaction to The Orville, yes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Slapping Trek ip items into the same story about how war is bad....but maybe necessary???...that's dominated sci-fi for 15 years and already flopped with th JJTrek series?

It's good to me.

I dont like a thing

Thing has flopped

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Yea instead trek should just remake TOS / TNG episodes.

btw still waiting for some proof that JJtrek flopped outside of :qq: not my trek

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

IT would be more brave of them to remake TOS episodes, agreed.

And they killed the series after 3 movies. Sorry mate. If you want to fight over my use of the word flop you can spend your energy on that. I will allow it.

From 0 to puppet master in 3 posts? That's impressive.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Frionnel posted:

Good thing nobody is doing this. At least on SA. We make have liked Orville but we don't have any illusions that it is TV gold or anything.

It's a more realistic opinion than the one about Star Trek "boldly going where everyone else has gone before" Discovery.

I'm guessing you haven't read the orville thread? Most of the posts are going on about how this last episode is classic TNG and amazing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

This episode was much better than the pilot. I'm glad the dutch angles died.

Shibawanko posted:

Ugh this show feels so American. It might as well take place on board some stupid aircraft carrier with US marines on it, the way they talk and act was clearly inspired by BSG, which was an awful loving show. Why should it be all military and shouty and mean?

lol

alternatively source your quotes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 2, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Hey buddy, check this out. There were other Star Trek episodes that were dumb. Check, mate.

:agreed:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

This is totally a trek sci-fi show because people are arguing over the dumbest poo poo :v:

Arglebargle III posted:

Ah, good thing they thought of that eventually. You know after it ate the entire crew of the other ship.

The Discovery wasn't with the shuttlecraft that boarded The Glenn. Are people really this bad at watching tv?

Arglebargle III posted:

If the teleport killed the crew, why didn't it kill the monster? The monster is immune to fungus warp accidents and phasers? But not force fields?

Why isn't everything answered and tied up in a neat little bow at the end of the episode? :qq: Not my trek

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Spinning saucers are :krad:

Ramadu posted:

So do all the klingons have downs syndrome? Is that why they are all smooth, hairless, and talk real slow

No you aren't their progenitor

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I missed the part where they explained why she let the unstoppable monster out of the cage, I think. I mean, I know it was to get a claw off it, but was fighting it hand to hand really the only way to do that?

I like that it went exactly as well as you expected it to. :rip: dumb security officer

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

But instead it's a secret weapon that's important for the war and I guess next week the klingons will find out about it and then they'll steal it and then it's a race to save zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yea sounds good. I'm glad you are excited for next week and will watch it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I also find the ending incredibly baffling because Discovery's big plan for stopping the invasion was "let's get all the ships close enough so that they will be blown up when we do the spore warp thing". Then after sporing-away, they decided that was good enough, no need to make sure that saved the planet? That whole thing wouldn't have worked if the Klingons stayed a little farther away. What a bad plan. If Discovery is the only ship which can do this spore jump thing, it seems like a big pile of useless, since Discovery lost all its shields to just a few Klingon scout ships.

They left behind some bombs / torpedoes. They weren't blown up from the spore drive.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Professor Shark posted:

Jesus, Enterprise ended 12 years ago. I think I may rewatch it, I remember it fondly from highschool but I sort of dropped out during my undergrad...

It's bad

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The first season was originally envisioned to be set almost entirely on Earth with the NX-01 construction rushed after that first contact incident, yeah. Studio execs nixed that and it was dropped down to just the pilot. There's almost no way 9/11 factored into the decision to scrap that, as Broken Bow premiered only two weeks later. It was obviously the inspiration for the Xindi cliffhanger and season, though.

Who the gently caress thought that would've been a good idea?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eiba posted:

:psyduck:

Is it really that hard to presume that the federation knew the strategically important planet was important and that the Klingons defeated the defenders?

They've hardly mastered it. They only have the one giant tardigrade and they mentioned the whole ship was built around Stammets's experiment, so presumably they can't just slap one of these things on an existing ship.

But otherwise yes, they're well aware of the massive strategic implications of the spore drive. That's pretty much the premise of the show.

For Trek fans who can't understand the literal dialogue that is being spoken, yes.

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

That's bad strategy. The prototype in this case can win you the war alone.

Guys we have 1 working prototype that we can't produce more of because we only have one nipple clamp monster. We won the war!

e: The Nazis won WW2 because they had v2 rockets which would strike at London without being stopped. That's how history worked right?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 10, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The dialogue is stupid is the issue.

Guys we have a ship that can win the war but only if we can master it, and we aren't sure if we can. Let's go into a dangerous situation without knowing if we have said mastery!

I don't think the dialogue is the one that is stupid. :v:

And obviously Starfleet Command and Lorca felt it was worth the risk?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

If that's the case, then either the Federation just suffered a crippling, likely war-losing blow to the fleet, or else the planet was inadequately defended in the first place. The people defending this are saying "the dialogue says the planet was defended so shut up", and those arguing against it are going "the plot is the problem, not the dialogue".

All that the PLOT requires is that the Klingons are attacking a colony and that the Discovery is the only ship which can make it there, only if it uses its Spore Drive. Great. That's fine. That's a good plot.

All that is required is a colony under attack. It doesn't NEED to be the source of 40% of Starfleet's fuel supply, because that brings up exactly the same issues of inadequate defense. In fact, I'd argue that it would be BETTER if it was just some ordinary colony, which Starfleet can't spare ships to go to because they're needed to hold the lines and defenses on more important planets. The "if we lose this one singular planet" is just trying to amp up the stakes when it is unnecessary. Saving the lives of defenseless colonists should be enough of a motive.

If it was just some random colony, Lorca definitely would've told them to go gently caress themselves. They should've said it produces dilithium and not specified an amount or just "It's crucial to the war effort!" It needed to be an important enough target to risk losing their new prototype to defend.

Hell, Lorca probably would've gathered up that whole mining operation and sacrificed them in a satanic ritual in the hopes of getting another nipple clamp bear.

It fuckin does

I actually love the mushroom warp effect

It does look very :catdrugs: and I love it for that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

So if they ever have to fight the tardigrade(s), all they need to do is equip everyone with special guns that rapid-fire the nipple piercing needles.

"Aim for the nipples, everyone! The nipples are their weak spot!"

Guns that fire :shroom:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

I hope the twist is that they've been high on mushrooms this entire time. The last episode has them defeat the Klingons in a massive battle, but then they run out of spores and they call come down. They immediately get hailed by Star Fleet to tell them the good news and the admiral is screaming at them about why they have been sitting in the same sector for six months, and sending back gibberish reports. Turns out they were accidentally stuck in a computer simulation the entire time and the ship hasn't gone anywhere or done anything.

Spores will turn out to be the basis for the holodeck. Continuity is saved!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Now you are free to eat all the :shroom: tardigrade

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

So am I the only one who noticed the bit where Burnham said the tardigrade has an "All Access" travel pass to the mushroom kingdom or whatever
Really, for gently caress's sake, it's right at 21:00, start ten or fifteen seconds before that

Am I the only one who said "Really, CBS, REALLY???!"

lol

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Decius posted:

Why should they? This is the ship where the captain blew up the crew of his prior ship just so they didn't have to face Klingon prisons. I doubt they had a vote beforehand. Developing a delivery system for WMDs into civilian centers of the enemy by torturing a clearly intelligent being. Hiding a bomb in your enemies dead is kindergarten for these guys.

lol yea that's the only thing the :shroom: drive can be used for

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Ok cool.

So I'm aware that this issue might be a little specific and nitpicky but hear me out. So my husband and I watched this last night we both audibly groaned at the last scene when it was revealed that Lt. Stamets and the doctor are a couple. Like the whole thing felt ham fisted and forced like the writers wrote that stupid scene to beat the audience over the head. There are like a million slightly less obvious ways to reveal a relationship instead of a forced, incredibly fake-seeming scene where they talk about how much they love each other whilst brushing their teeth! Totes random and relatable :xd:

In fact we both mentioned previously that Lt. Stamets was clearly coded/written as gay. Like we picked up on it. He's stereotypically catty/bitchy okay. So of loving course the vaguely effeminate and soft spoken doctor is also a gay and since we all know if you have two gay people written into a show they totally have to be in love with each other! Two stereotypically gay men, what a cute couple :allears:

I know I should just be glad to have representation but it feels so forced. Like that loving transgender person from ME:A. In the pursuit of that diversity and inclusion checkbox, Bioware wrote something downright offensive. While this pairing doesn't come close to that level, it's still patronizing and borderline offensive to me.

Again I realize this might be thin-skinned/making a big deal out of nothing but you know who would have been a better romantic option for Stamets who would have had more impact? Someone you'd never expect of being gay -- like the loving captain. Illicit gay affair between the ship's commander and the chief scientist. But no big macho captain doesn't seem like a gay so he obviously can't be gay, wouldn't want to potentially damage the nerd psyche.

E: oh and now we can guarantee that one or both of them will die because hollywood et. all can't resist the "nice same-sex couple you got there, shame if something were to happen to it" trope.

Neither one of them looked / acted gay to me. :shrug:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DS9 was the best trek because it was the least trek :colbert:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Haha Sarek you hosed up

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NarkyBark posted:

"When I get back we'll deal with your command blah blah" Yup, she's 100% dead.
Bonus points if she survives and Lorca arranges an "accident" on the return trip. If it comes to him losing command I think he's batty enough to do it.

Don't think they used the spore drive to find Sarek, just regular warp. That's all Sarek had, after all.
Also, they finally showed Lorca sitting in a captain's chair, so there's that

I was totally expecting Lorca to pull a Garak with that shuttlecraft.

They used the spore drive to get to the nebula.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

Sarek tells the viewer what is happening practically to the camera, then Michael explains what is happening, then Tilly chimes in explaining what a katra is, and then Lorca says he knows all about this. Clunk.

Considering how some people in this thread have missed super obvious stuff, I'd say it probably isn't being explained enough.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Phobeste posted:

How is it inexplicable his entire arc with the admiral was about the degree to which he's a broken paranoid man climaxing in holding the gun he keeps under his pillow to her head after she touched him. Do people watch this show with their eyes

He should have a monologue to explain it to the viewers. While looking at the camera. With charts and graphs. :v:

But then I'm sure some people still wouldn't get it :negative:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Professor Shark posted:

This grimdark poo poo is so grating and terrible. This episode had some good moments, but whoever said they'd just upgraded to a normal bad Syfy/ Space show was on the money. Grimdark can work, but this is just being dark without any of the talent.

Next week looks baddd

SUPER GRIMDARK

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

It has been mentioned that the Discovery was doing all these attacks / defending outposts because of the spore drive. They even used the drive to defend the mining outpost on time because no other ship could have made it.

So yea the instant travel was necessary.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jimbozig posted:

So which is it?

This is a Starfleet where you can have a romantic relationship with people under your direct command and you can threaten their position immediately after sleeping with them and making comments about how the sex wasn't what it used to be.

Or

This is a Starfleet where none of that poo poo is allowed and rather than Lorca losing his job, the admiral was about to lose hers for such blatant misconduct but somehow didn't realize it??

How did you even get to those 2 conclusions?

Lorca wasn't going to lose his job because he and the admiral were boning. It's because he's broken and unstable :ssh:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

There is a crazy high, unexplained correlation between liking Star Trek and being a pedo. I'm not joking.

But the Toronto police officer who said that was joking. :ssh:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Missed a golden opportunity to have a DJ do some scratching and it be in sync with the spinning section of the ship. :v:

Stoned Stamets best Stamets. :shroom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Not to mention he rammed a ship inside the endangered space whale. I guess his punishment is to live out the rest of his life in luxury with a wife that loves him and a step father who will pay off all his debt, until his TOS shenanigans.

lol that ignoring the space whale would've lead to Lorca being brought up on charges or something.