Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Tech tip: One cause for hiccups and slowdowns is the game constantly unpacking textures. If you unpack the texture files and stick the bigger / more frequent ones into the override folder, it'll run more smoothly.

Palladium posted:

I think I'm the only one who like the combat in 1 better than 2.

Ditto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Another tech tip: Every time you call up the main menu, the game reads all the headers of the saves present in the saves folder and stores them in memory. Remove older saves to a separate folder, but keep at least one final save for the next instalment in there.

A notable difference between W1 and W2: W1 creates full, new save files with every quick-save while W2 keeps overwriting the qs-file.

Old Grey Guy fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 26, 2017

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
If you're tired of Vesna getting herself killed over and over again, open rita_q1_1.utc, add Role_IgnoreMe to her profiles, and move the file to the override folder.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
I'm enjoying this LP so far, good work.

Xander77 posted:

Witcher combat, as described in the stories, is all about rhythm, pirouettes, movement. Whoever goes out of step and hesitates gets cut open. In some ways, the combat in Witcher 1 is actually more true to the stories than the other two games.

This bears repeating. To those who read the books prior to playing the game, the combat system makes sense and is recognisable. Not so for most other people, apparently, which is mostly why things were dumbed down in later games.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Since it's been asked: Yes, Abigail is set to immortal in those scenes.

Also, before anyone activates Act 4, here's a bugfix for the hemp script to stick in your override folder: http://www.mediafire.com/file/6ck7v27ze6178d8/hemp.ncs

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

Aumanor posted:

Is this for the bug in the castle at the end?

No, the script that re-spawns the hemp/han plant produces berbercane instead of hemp/han fibre, it's got the wrong item code in it. This is the correct script.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

Doc Morbid posted:

During the fights as well? Huh, that would've been useful to know before I reloaded a bunch of times. :downs:

Yes. Once you decide to help her, she's scheduled for what you've already hinted at. She can get knocked out but that's it.

Also, I approve of the way you dealt with Jimmy Reptile and all his friends. It really is in-character for Geralt as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
^ This, pretty much.

And, since not a lot of people seem to know: There's a noblewoman in white in a house near the chapel who'll trade any flowers for a bunch of tulips, and an old coot who'll trade pork for wine in the street there.

• Locked thread