Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I think I started Witcher half a dozen times, but didn't get anywhere with it. I don't remember what my problem with it was. Might have been the combat. I've never been very good at combat, so it's possible that I got sick of dying all the time, and I was too proud to try to finish it on easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

So, it's been a really long time, but does anyone remember what they fixed in the first big patch? I remember it being a really big deal back in the day, and established Projekt CD as a "studio that cares", or some such thing.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Ah, this brings me back!

Looking at the prologue, I think this is why the entire Ostogar sequence in Dragon Age Origins felt so familiar to me. Hang around a ruined castle, drink a weird concoction that mutates you, and you join a dying breed of supermen.

I mean, it's not a perfect analogue, but I did get a feeling of déjà vu when I played DA:O.

How important are the potions? I remember thinking that I should use them, but I've never been big on using potions in RPGs.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

It's hard to believe that this game is 10 years old. I loved RPGs, which is why I had to play this one.

I remember being so annoyed at the loading times every time I entered or exited a house (something that happened a lot in the next section, if I'm remembering correctly).

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Doc Morbid posted:

Having the game on an SSD really helps with that, any load times I'm getting are maybe a couple of seconds at most.

Well, yes. It's also 10 years old. I think I had 1GB of RAM about 10 years ago. I don't think the game would've been a success if loading times were a problem for everyone.

I keep thinking I should get back to playing it. I bought it on a Steam sale last year, I think it was a dollar-fifty? I might enjoy it now that my PC can manage the annoyances.

And y'know, if I'm playing along with you, I can check out all of things I missed, and maybe see if I've gotten any better at combat (most likely not, I've always been terrible at video-games).

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Faces and hair are always difficult to get right. The Witcher still looks pretty good for the most part, and at least it isn't as bad as Oblivion could be.

On the other hand, there are mutilated corpses in Outlast that don't look as bad as some of the townspeople in Oblivion...

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I think, if there's something I comprehensively disliked about The Witcher, it's that the dialog always felt stilted (which happens when the native language isn't English). Does it get any better later in the game, or later in the series?

I know I mentioned the combat, but I didn't dislike the combat in The Witcher, it's because I'm terrible at video games and will get my rear end handed to me more often than not. Re: my current attempts at playing the Batman Arkham games, where my Batman is a drunk who stumbles from bad guy to bad guy, hoping that they'll pass out from their knuckles getting bruised on Batman's head...

So... who's Shani supposed to be, in the backstory? How different is she from the books?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Oh, Abigail! Her card, I remember, was really creepy too. Serious fan disservice.

Have you gone over leveling up in any of the posts? Like, what to prioritize in the early game in terms of stats or skills? Or, what you prefer to go for early in the game, and what you tend to avoid?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

In case anyone still doesn't have The Witcher, it's $1.49 at GOG right now. Along with the rest of the series (at various discounts).

Number 3 is still $20, even at a 60% discount.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Laughing Zealot posted:

And worth every penny. Note that it's goty version with both expansions so it's easily around 100 hours of content.

Steam's also started their sale for the franchise, in case that's the platform you like. Same discounts, too.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Everyone's sad because they missed the last date of the Witcher sale...

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Doc Morbid posted:

Gah, sorry about the further delay. I was supposed to record last weekend, but on Friday I came down with the worst case of the flu I've had in a decade, and have spent this past week feeling like I'm about to die. Could really use some of that witchers' immunity to disease right now.

I'll get to recording as soon as I can. Once again, sorry about this. The LP most definitely isn't going to die, although I'm not so sure about myself at this point. :v:

Clearly you need to mix yourself the right sort of potion. Let me think now, got any Barghest livers?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

That's pretty nice. The sound's from the original, is it? But Triss looks a lot better in these clothes than in the weird ones from the original game.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Oh hey, an update. And these quest givers. Weird disabilities in lieu of personality traits. Not that I can remember what the third one was like...

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

achtungnight posted:

I too agree with Doc about the Frightener vs. the Lab, and with Resurgan that this game's "consequences" system is better than that of Bioware or Choice of Games' usual Morality systems. Like one of my favorite sea captains says, right or wrong doesn't really matter as much as what a man can do and what a man can't do. Or what he does/doesn't in this case. :)

I think I played the Frightener fight, on the first time around. But then, I was playing on easy, which is why I'd gotten out of the fight.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Doc Morbid posted:

Really enjoyed the writeup, Xander. Looking forward to more of those. :)

If it's okay with you, I'll update the second post of the thread to include links to your Let's Reads.

Aw yeah. Now this thread has become classy.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Yeah, all three of our patrons are shady. Funnily enough, the one who's dressed like a bandit is the least terrible of the bunch, but they're all awful men. Doc Morbid's already hinted at what's going on, so I'm not going to elaborate.

Biggest problem though is that even the quest givers are pretty generic-looking. Don't I remember seeing priests all over the game that look exactly like the Reverend? It's very lazy.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

That tosser.

The "Wild Hunt" shows up in a number of places, mostly Scandinavia, but apparently it's also known about in Britain as well (not surprising since it's one of the places that had a plague of Vikings). The most famous leader of the hunt is Odin (or Wotan), but they might also be King Arthur, or fairie (i.e. elvish) kings or gods of the underworld are not unknown.

Seeing the Wild Hunt usually meant war, or some similar disaster. The story I heard was that Odin (being a bit of a bastard) wouldn't favor one side over another, and would cause disasters for both sides in the war.

I always envisioned the Wild Hunt as being a particularly terrible storm. You know the type, when it's a chilly day, and then this black cloud rumbles overhead, storming and thundering, chilling your blood. It's not a gentle rain but a massive downpour, wind blowing every which way so that even shelter won't keep you dry because the rain chases you. Hailstones pelt you as you walk, run or drive, bruising you, denting your car and shattering your windshield. What else could it be, but the wrath of the one called Glad-of-War?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

This sewer section didn't bother me too much, honestly. I mean, it's there, sure, but there have been worse ones. The one in VtM: Bloodlines, for instance. There didn't seem to be any additional mechanics that I recall, and the fight was okay. I was more miffed about my weapons being taken away.

The further we go, the more I think that Bioware stole quite a bit of The Witcher series for Dragon Age. The references in this episode to Witchers being a thing of the past sounds a lot like some of the dialogue choices for the player, in which they say that the Grey Wardens are an irrelevant order.

Bioware made Dragon Age "gritty", but they didn't quite capture that gloom and oppression that blankets the Witcher universe. At the risk of flouting a negative stereotype, it must be an Eastern European thing.

• Locked thread