Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I have difficulty believing that people actually use bluetooth for audio, but apparently some people love it.

Wireless headphones seem strictly worse in every way than wired. They require batteries and charging; they introduce lag; they are expensive; they are easier to lose; they don't have a convenient cable to hang on to.

I am completely and totally flabbergasted by their popularity. It's as though millions of people were turning their noses up at fine, free homemade French food and paying for McDonald's instead.

Why would you trade something that doesn't require power, has the most reliable, secure, and lossless transmission channel known, and is "configured" by plugging in hardware for something that requires power, has a less reliable transmission channel that can be easily snooped or forged, has to be configured in software?

I literally don't understand why anyone would ever choose the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
because a gay man wearing spectacles grabbed my phone and ran away cackling: 'ahaaaa, your headphone hole is mine'.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its bad op

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
[quote="“Maximum Leader”" post="“476677874”"]
I have difficulty believing that people actually use WiFi for networking, but apparently some people love it.

Wireless networks seem strictly worse in every way than wired. They require batteries and charging; they introduce lag; they are expensive; they are easier to lose; they don’t have a convenient cable to hang on to.

I am completely and totally flabbergasted by their popularity. It’s as though millions of people were turning their noses up at fine, free homemade French food and paying for McDonald’s instead.

Why would you trade something that doesn’t require power, has the most reliable, secure, and lossless transmission channel known, and is “configured” by plugging in hardware for something that requires power, has a less reliable transmission channel that can be easily snooped or forged, has to be configured in software?

I literally don’t understand why anyone would ever choose the latter.
[/quote]

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
I agree w the op

the only somewhat reasonable defense is when exercising but I can run just fine w corded headphones

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
lag? oh no there's lag between pushing play and the music starting, whatever will you do op

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
cables equals convenience, its time for the manufacturers to "get" that

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
works fine for me O.P.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
agreed op

the headphone jack springs on my phone wore out and now i have a bluetooth speaker and it's bad

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i never have problems with the aftermarket bluetooth receiver in my car nor my airpods op.

sometimes my iphone wouldnt see the receiver in my car initially upon starting it up but that's been fixed for a couple years now.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

bluetooth audio is lossy? why the gently caress would that be acceptable?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

akadajet posted:

your ears are lossy

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

pram posted:

its bad op

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
proposed solution: replace ears with free, open source hardware flac decoder

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

b/c bt users cant tell the difference. its more than just lossy too, the frequency range is dogshit

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

akadajet posted:

designed for low power so there is only barely enough bandwidth for lossless, and there may be more things sharing the link

h2dp aptx gets run at 352 kbps and is not a hopeless codec iirc, so it is not terribly aggressive losses

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
bluetooth speakers are good for loving mate. drink and dance with speaker running from spotifyon phone, then take speaker into bedroom and gently caress to music

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
uh how else am I gonna listen to Chapo Trap House in the shower?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jimmy Carter posted:

uh how else am I gonna listen to Chapo Trap House in the shower?

someone recycled a brand new chinese showerhead that's like a foot wide, puts out 999 gpm, has a manual in only chinese, and has a bluetooth speaker that slots into the middle

it is the biggest improvement on the Dorm Room Lifestyle i've managed to make

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

i dont know op its a very hard problem and while the solution isnt perfect it mostly woBATTERY LOW

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

you should get better audio, op.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
it turns out that a 4' length of thin flexible copper wiring doesn't carry analog signals losslessly, op. barrel connectors aren't great at that either.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i demand an experience beyond studio quality

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

if you really care about fidelity you have to go to the source. thats why i only listen to music played entirely on the bass guitar E string as it is the largest gauge wire and therefore according to audiophiles has the most fidelity

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
there has to be a better way

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
bt suits my needs op

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
BT audio suits my podcast listening needs. hth

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Breakfast All Day posted:

i dont know op its a very hard problem and while the solution isnt perfect it mostly woBATTERY LOW

have you tried charging your batteries? :pwn:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

my $40 bt phones suit my needs very well, op

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

AirPods work perfect especially with iOS 11 hope this helps

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i use foobar 2000

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

hifi posted:

i use foobar 2000

fooked oop beyond all recognition m8

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its almost like the #1 producer of devices that headphones plug into happens to own the #1 producer of wireless headphones and is keenly interested in moving units in an industry that has largely been unscathed by modern tech's 2 year device churn cycle

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
the problem with bluetooth is the protocol is a huge toilet and real simple features like multisource i/o or even simultaneous switched connections which would be trivial to support with the available bandwidth don't work or aren't officially supported so you get rinkydink daisy chains of devices that try to sync timing with software

so you go to your friends house to pretend to admire their new speakers because that's the nice thing to do but whoops somebody coughed in the next building so half the devices desync and then make a full volume bloopbloop or better yet keep working but with a 200ms delay on each link in the chain and your friend seems upset and asks if you know what the problem is so you decide to do a swan dive from the tenth story window because life is already too depressing without having to tell your friend that they wasted a lot of money on what is basically a big pile of garbage

lol this is much better than using a coat hanger to fish some wiring behind a wall one time

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

where can I get me one of these ten story windows

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Windows 10

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Harik posted:

it turns out that a 4' length of thin flexible copper wiring doesn't carry analog signals losslessly, op. barrel connectors aren't great at that either.

bullshit

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

yeah they're not actually barrel connectors, you cought me on that one.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:qq: my fedelity :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Bluetooth audio does suck, but I'm liking the sudden proliferation of headphones where the audio cables aren't hardwired. lovely strain relief is/was the 2 year churn of headsets.

• Locked thread