Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

swordfish duelist posted:

I do, I just don't know how many of the old 360 crew went to the xbone

Essentially all of them. I was the lone man that stuck it out on Xbone through IW, everyone else went to PS4 for IW or before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Godzilla07 posted:

My boots will likely not be on the ground until Sunday/Monday.

:same:

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

My boots are now on the ground. PSN: PSJack5434.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Gustav Cannon must be the answer to the question "can we make a shittier map than Stonehaven?"

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I am playing afternoon shootymans if anyone is on. PSN: PSJack5434.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

TMMadman posted:

Man, it's so lame that they changed the C4/satchel charge so they can't be airbursted anymore.

They did this in a previous COD game as well, but that didn't stop me from throwing it around like I normally do. You just had to wait an extra second for it to land.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

TMMadman posted:

I know they changed it for BLOPS3.

But that's the problem. It used to be essentially a great combo of a grenade and a claymore. While you couldn't throw it as far as a grenade, the ability to airburst it made up for the lack of distance. Plus you could drop it on a dom or S&D point as a trap.

Now it's really only good as a trap and it's a lot harder to use it offensively. It doesn't even make sense in this game because as far as I can tell the blast radius/damage is the same as a regular frag, so let me airburst it again.

It was such a versatile lethal and they hosed it all up because of lovely competitive gaming.

About the only thing it's good for now (aside from standard traps) is to throw it at your feet the second you have to retreat from a gun fight and then blowing it as soon as your out of range hoping to catch the person who was shooting at you running around the corner. And while that is kind of fun, it's not nearly as satisfying as it would have been to airburst the bastard shooting at me when I make a beautiful toss that arcs right over the guys head.

I tend to throw it at Dom points while running to the objective in the hopes of clearing out anybody there so I can cap/defend the point. You can't really use it when face to face with enemies anymore, and I definitely wouldn't use it before running away.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

The sawed off shotgun may not be objectively good, but it is really fun.

Playing some afternoon COD if anyone wants to join me. PSN: PSJack5434.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

From now on, I am subjecting Gustav Cannon to the Stonehaven rule: if it is picked for the map, I back out immediately.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Thanksgiving double XP is a thing that is now happening

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Puckish Rogue posted:

The bug/feature where on the trenches level you can jump up onto the hill and hide in the dead trees/map on one spawn side has been there so long I'm not sure if it is a bug/feature.

Although by the fact you have to jump at it off the highest point in the middle of the trenches and then the character teleports there makes me think it may be a bug. I'm kind of a detective like that.

Anyone that is up in those trees is pretty vulnerable to the MG position in the bunker on the opposite side of the map.

Got my first marksman challenge finished today, 500 kills with the Luftwaffe Drilling shotgun.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

And the good thing about the point system is that it rewards you for using support streaks like Spy Plane (or whatever the hell it's called in WW2), whereas in games before Black Ops 2 these streaks wouldn't contribute at all to your next one.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

They added hit markers now, so you can actually tell when you're hitting them!
(Since they give absolutely zero feedback otherwise until death, as with every iteration)

Still no win state though. :effort:

:ssh: Sledgehammer/Raven actually added hit markers in Zombies in AW.

And you could win several of the Zombies maps in AW if you completed the easter egg. Makes me wonder if they will do that for this game when they release the DLC.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

That sort of thing happens when they forget all about the results of their first beta. Also, whoever said last night that Headquarters probably should've been tested in the beta (Javes or Kizurue maybe?) was right.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Mill Village posted:

Condrey is loving idiot who clearly forgot they changed Domination to 100 points per kill after feedback in AW.

Didn't they also change it to 100 points in this game during the beta, only to then not carry that change over to the finished game?

It's ridiculous that you essentially have to get a Merciless medal to get a spy plane in this game.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Yeah, Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer/Raven typically refuse to add extra maps and DLC stuff to the regular rotation until months after they come out, for fear of splitting the playerbase. As a result, the DLC maps are never worth buying because they are locked in a special playlist. The extra map that came with the deluxe version of Ghosts, for example, didn't make the rotation until like 3 months in.

Yet this is never a problem with Treyarch COD games, so go figure.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

How do i even access it lol

Look under the special playlists. If it's anything like the previous games, the one you want will explicitly say that it includes the Carentan map. It's probably a Moshpit playlist.

Gordon Shumway fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 4, 2017

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

How do i even access it lol

Never mind what I said before, it's only in a Carentan 24/7 playlist.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Cultural Marxist posted:

Are there challenges to complete to get the new guns or is it just a case of hoping you get one in a winter supply crate?

Not sure about all of the new guns, but to get the ice pick, there's a special order you have to complete. You just have to play 35 matches (you don't even need to win them).

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

shut up blegum posted:

Does anybody know when the weekly challenges reset? Right now I'm at 74/75 double kills but my eyes hurt and I don't want to play anymore. But if the challenge gets reset tonight I'll make a face.

Any weekly/daily orders that you have selected do not expire. They are active until they are completed or until you choose to abandon them and select new orders. You just are limited to three active orders of each type at a time.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

BlindNinja posted:

I got this for Christmas and naturally I'm thinking about buying the Season Pass. On a scale of Ghosts to Medal of Honor 2015, how dumb am I?

But really, is there any promise of what is gonna be on it? I'm guessing it's a few MP maps, 2 weapons, and 1 Zombies like always, and no SP content?

edit: looks like the usual 4/1 MP/zombies maps

Yes but one of the four MP maps will be War mode only.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Getting on for some Saturday night shootymans. I'm starting up WW2, but I could be persuaded to do some IW if that's a thing. PSN: PSJack5434.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Does anyone still has the riot shield videos?

Not Black Ops, but this is the one riot shield thing I remember: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM7KI01s1_w

So Winter Siege is over, and it looks like they removed the ability to see and open winter loot boxes. However, they still have contracts and orders up where winter loot boxes are the reward. :ughh:

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

I remember one night, we were drinking and partying, and telling the pubbies (this was back when in-game chat wasn't like listening to a half-static AM radio) to literally pick class setups for us, and we'd use them and win.
Good times.
We've done all Masterkey games, all M60 chugga games, the-floor-is-lava-stay-on-the-tower-sniping Array games, Lightweight + Marathon Pro deliberately-flip-the-spawns-as-fast-as-possible games... There was one gimmick game on Radiation (Acog M60s? M14 Flamethrowers?) where we couldn't get poo poo for streaks, the enemy had three Blackbirds, and we still won.

I remember this, there was an especially fun match where we only used flamethrower attachments on Kowloon of all maps. And I think we all ran ballistic knife and tomahawks for one game.

I'm playing some COD in advance of the wicked huge blizzahd. Playing WW2 at the moment but also willing to do IW. PSN: PSJack5434.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

CoDs we never went back to (and/or stopped playing in their own year of release):
- WaW
- MW3
- Ghosts
- AW
- WWII (take my word for it)

AW and Ghosts were so bad that a group of us on Xbox were still playing BLOPS 2 up to the BLOPS 3 release. Although I did play AW longer than Ghosts, and I managed to hit max prestige in both of those games.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

widespread posted:

Well we can agree on one thing: both systems at least get you Supply Drops. Fuckin' WW2/SHG are sticking to how it was before in AW.

Not to mention how... desperate/silly this is:

https://twitter.com/SHGames/status/952568313934053376

Like, why watch the theatre. Is there something there you want us to see that we wouldn't otherwise?

Actually, you don't even have to watch anything in the theatre. Just opening it up in the headquarters and then backing back out is enough to trigger the daily order.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Mill Village posted:

Just what the game needed, more grenade spam. :negative:

Saboteur lets you airburst satchel charges :getin:

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

This is the only COD video to feature me prominently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h8xdx_nnAA

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Anyone playing shootymans tonight?

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

SneakyBeef posted:

I'm still kind of new to this, how does airbursting grenades and c4 help? Does it somehow increase the range or is it just funny as gently caress when you pull it off?

C4/satchel charges have more explosive power and are very useful for clearing a number of enemies off an objective. Airbursting lets you toss it and trigger it with no time delay, which makes it more reliable than throwing a grenade with the three or so second fuse. As JackGeneric said, you can also toss it for quick, close range damage in a regular gunfight.

However, airbursting pissed off the MLG pros, so they altered C4 so that it had to hit the ground before it could be detonated, making it much less useful. In WW2, the time delay between the throw and when you can trigger the satchel charge is so great that this was effectively still the case, but the Saboteur perk nullifies the delay and restores the ability to airburst.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

kenny powerzzz posted:

The benefit is that you kill the enemy minimap so you in theory have an element of surprise. In reality if your map gets scrambled you either are aware that an attack is coming quickly or you're able to hunt the player using it down. It was a poo poo perk in modern warfare 2 and is a poo poo perk now. It would be arguably better if you could toggle it on and off like the silencer and the fire shells. I could see it maybe being viable if a team used it in a game like domination swarming a flag or maybe a few players using it together in search and destroy but even that is a stretch.

It's less dumb at level 4, which essentially gives you personal radar. They have their map blocked out and have to figure out where you are, and you know what direction they're coming from.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

They added a bunch of new gear and some new weapons as part of the Resistance event, but they didn't extend the time before the event is over and you get locked out of being able to get them outside of loot boxes. A bold new strategy for making suckers buy COD bucks I guess.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Gustav Cannon is especially stupid when playing Gun Game

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

With the return of Gun Game comes the return of the Gun Game idlers.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

shut up blegum posted:

Yeah I noticed. What's up with that?

It's the only game mode where you don't need to pick a class at the start. As a result, you can be idle, sit through the match, and not have to worry about being kicked for inactivity. You can leave the game on and idle through countless matches, earning supply drops after every few games and completing challenges for finishing X number of games.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

widespread posted:

Camos outside of the challenges.

Granted, they did bloat Supply Drops but I'd rather camos than fuckin pistol grips. Or gold plated calling cards.

... actually just put that down as "Worthwhile supply drops"

Those gold plated calling cards are responsible for that bug where your dossier always says new items, which is kind of irritating.

Got my first gold camos unlocked in WW2 today: Luftwaffe Drilling and Combat Shotgun.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Activision promoted them.

Failing upwards then...

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I don't think I will ever get Hardpoint Mastery in WW2. That drat Super Star challenge is nigh impossible. I either have the most kills and least deaths but my team sucks and we don't win, or we win because I tirelessly play the objective but someone else thinks it's TDM and manages to get more kills, or someone joins the match halfway through and ends up with less deaths. :negative:

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

housefly posted:

Any of those modes with that challenge are utter bullshit. It should really just say “play this game until lightning strikes you”

I was able to do it in TDM (and KC, I think) but it's so dumb for objective modes. Most don't even have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

If you kill the leprechaun, you instantly get all your streaks. That playlist is a constant mess of carpet bombings, paratroopers, and fire bombing runs. Luckily, ball turret gunner is a super late unlock that nobody seems to have wasted a prestige token on.

• Locked thread