Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No retirement til they do their personal mission or fail it permanently.

I was trying to capture an officer that murdered my mom, but I accidentally spaced him instead. GOOD ENOUGH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

No retirement til they do their personal mission or fail it permanently.

I was trying to capture an officer that murdered my mom, but I accidentally spaced him instead. GOOD ENOUGH.
Oh yeah, well my mission was to rescue my mom, so I was going to brick my way into the hallway next to her room, easy in easy out. I missed. RIP mom.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I had a mission called "Rescue my idiot mom."
Not very nice, these people.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

That sure is a way to start off a new character. A mild hiccup when I realized I sold my only weapon to afford the gizmos I needed. So, uh, meant I couldn't break open a window to escape. Luckily setting a glitch trap underneath the captain turns off the timer without having to hurt the poor guy.

And as a bonus one of the crates aboard had this beautiful little gizmo.

Michaellaneous posted:

Out of interest, when do you guys retire? I usually do it when my dude is only 50% effective at generating freedom. And once I tried my personal mission once or twice (christ they are hard).

When I've bought a decent item from the store to rename or when I absolutely need to free up space for a new effective character. I generally stop playing characters around 30% freedom generation. Mistakes can still generate pretty decent returns at >30%, especially since a stash full of goodies makes things easy.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Honestly, while I like to try and play as ghost-like as possible a lot of the time, something that really made the game click for me was realizing that unlike Hitman... my pay/score doesn't care if I was silent or not. Only if there was a clause and if I fulfilled it. Most of the time it pays better to bring the whole ship in, as you can sell the excess gear. So going full ghost is fun but not mandatory, and....

Well, it was a happy realization. It's quite soothing going around shanking everyone in a level. (And I mean, I'd do this in Hitman too, but that game trained me to at least wince whenever I initially did it, as I was sacrificing score for fun.)

You can sell everything without capturing ships if you mark it "bring to stash" with the item teleporter. So you can murder your way through the inhabited parts of a ship without going back to the other stuff.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

I've unlocked armor piercing silenced shotguns and am sacrificing as many of them as I can to the space rng and hopefully some people will find them

AP guns need AP bullets, which are super rare.
Concussion guns recharge themselves, so they can be AP without concern.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

Out of interest, when do you guys retire? I usually do it when my dude is only 50% effective at generating freedom. And once I tried my personal mission once or twice (christ they are hard).

After a successful personal mission, assuming they have 1 or 2 liberations underneath their belt.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I retire right after completing personal missions, usually. It feels right!

Also I know I can do stash juggling for selling stuff, but... it's fun to hijack ships. And I'm really getting a feel for this game as a toy. It's just... fun in a way few other games have captured for me. It has a sense of play. I mean, I love and enjoy a lot of games, but this is next to Burnout Paradise in the sheer sense of play I get from doing even simple missions.

Game's good, I gotta sleep, if there are more profiles posted I'll update the op in the morning.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Xaris posted:

So what the hell am I supposed to do with Heat Sensing ships? I cant evne dock and just get blown away.

Also I've now liberated 10 stations in the north and unlocked Stronghold. Do I have to beat this via Mission Map to unlock the bonus or do I have to go up the Liberation chain to unlock the chance at having Brick?

There's also a pod that doesn't emit heat

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I hope one of you friends get my self-charging crash beam. I named it something particularly special.

BTW I managed to get the Everything gun from the blinky ship and I haven't seen it at all since. The character who got it is now dead and I never got to use the gun. :(

Hey so... the one-off missions you can do when you liberate a station. What's the point of doing those, exactly?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 25, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't think they do anything special, they're just fun challenge missions with weird loadouts.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Wow.

I'm not sure what I expected from the ending.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DaveKap posted:

BTW I managed to get the Everything gun from the blinky ship and I haven't seen it at all since. The character who got it is now dead and I never got to use the gun. :(

I'm pretty sure this is how the Everything Gun works:
1. you find the blinky ship and get the gun
2. now the gun is unlocked and will show up as rare loot in boxes for other characters
3. the blinky ship does not show up any more
4. you have it unlocked forever (though I suspect the unlock is local to that computer)
5. you use it a couple or times for comedy value and then ignore it because as far as I can tell the only thing useful about it is you can bounce shots around corners

The first time I tried the blinky ship I had to bail because it got in a fight with another ship and started getting blown up. Next time I found it the ship was whole again and I got the gun.

(Also, goddamn warzone missions are the biggest roll of the dice. Maybe you get a shortcut to your target, maybe you get blown the gently caress up.)

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Guys... it's really possible!

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
fuckkkkkkkk i want to go home and play more heat signature i cant stop thinking about it

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Now lets see if anyone finds my concussion hammer. Has 5k in it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I was starting to get frustrated with this game because I felt like it wouldn't let me play how I wanted. I just did some things tonight to step outside my comfort zone and had a blast. I did a personal mission for one of my dudes and it was pretty easy with an armor piercing shortblade. Got some cool items that I sold until I got something I'd want to pass on. I also did another mission where all the engines were in a line so I started blowing them up. I blew up two engines and got knocked out so I picked myself up and docked in the hole left by the blown up engines. Then I blew up another, my pod got knocked off and then docked and blew up the last one with about a second left on the countdown. The ship blew past the station and and continued on where I was free to shoot everyone onboard and they couldn't do anything about it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Klyith posted:

(Also, goddamn warzone missions are the biggest roll of the dice. Maybe you get a shortcut to your target, maybe you get blown the gently caress up.)

I had my rescue target's square blown up 1 second before I entered the cell. I guess I'm glad my character survived but it was one of those the worst thing that could happen movie moments

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Well, my super-tricked out character just lost his chance because I didn't react fast enough and got shot one too many times. Good luck whichever of you bastards finds him in your game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Was he captured or did he die? If he died, he's gone.

Edit: I'm wondering if it's worth it to get characters with cool items captured. I'm assuming that when you rescue a character, you get the items they had. So you could build up a cool guy and then let someone else rescue and use him.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Michaellaneous posted:

If you're all about liberatin', the best time to retire is right as your character hits <100% effective. Generally, you'll complete a mission and the next one will have you at 80%-99%, then you do your personal mission (Which is a Mistake and worth a lot of liberatin' points.)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Was he captured or did he die? If he died, he's gone.

Edit: I'm wondering if it's worth it to get characters with cool items captured. I'm assuming that when you rescue a character, you get the items they had. So you could build up a cool guy and then let someone else rescue and use him.

Mercy got captured. His rescuer in my game died. Mercy had all the good poo poo.

Meanwhile, I get an assassination mission, get my target cornered and am playing Benny Hill with the guards. Suddenly, I notice a missile lock on the room my target is in. Target killed, and I'm in space. :v:

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
do you gotta actually friend people to have their poo poo show up in your game or is just being in a group enough

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

frieeeends

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

A Self-Charging High Capacity Subverter is the most broken thing in this game holy gently caress. You want to trivialize shields? It does that. Never want to have to loot a key again? It does that too. Turrets got you down? Make them down your enemies instead!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait, subverters work on doors?!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

I had a mission called "Rescue my idiot mom."
Not very nice, these people.

I had a character whose quest was "Rescue my idiot friend".

When she failed and got caught, my next character's quest was to bail her out, listed as "Rescue my idiot kid".

Bitterness runs in the family.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I love naming concussion hammers like an 11-year-old

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

You know, I beat the game and unlocked mooost of the stations, maybe 3/4, and I never actually saw a self-charger outside of a defector mission.

I never really needed one, but still. I wouldn't have minded self-charging grenades all day.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Gamerofthegame posted:

You know, I beat the game and unlocked mooost of the stations, maybe 3/4, and I never actually saw a self-charger outside of a defector mission.

I never really needed one, but still. I wouldn't have minded self-charging grenades all day.

I've found a rogue non-heirloom self-charging Swap in the wild, but that was after beating the game the first time.

99% of the time it comes from the over-priced loot boxes in the shop, which generally offer Orange items or better.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I've found a few, one came from an overpriced mystery box, but the other couple came from chests in ships.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Game looks fun as gently caress. Any newbie advice?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Think of the most ludicrous way you can achieve your mission, then do that. And pause often. You'll get a lot of laughs out of coming up with ingenius solutions. Example being I paused right before a stun bolt hit me on an Offworld Security ship. I didn't have much time, and having to hoover myself up after being spaced would have probably cost me the mission. So with no other option, I drop a Glitch Trap at my feet. I go down, the guards come over to collect me, and suddenly find themselves in space.

Also, knock armored capture targets through windows.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Try stuff out, if something sounds like it will work it probably will. Seems like most people start out playing really conservatively at first and loosen up once they realize how experimental this game can be. "I need X tool to finish this mission" becomes "okay how can I complete this mission with the tools that I have"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Can I finish this mission with 8 visitor teleporters and no other gear?" :getin:

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Gamerofthegame posted:

The item name doesn't always list all the traits. I bought an Armor Piercing Quickfire Pistol, and it wasn't until later that I noticed it also had the self charging perk in the list. So it's worth giving things a good look, especially if they seem unusually expensive.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
Went to go do the personal mission for saving the characters girlfriend. Right as I was closing in on the ship it flew too close to a enemy station and got a bunch of missiles shot at it. Was thinking gently caress since it was cruising right back to a base, but then noticed that they managed to blow a hole right right next to the target. loving love this game.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

One parting fun fact I figured out on my second to last run; the alarm is sounded when someone sees you and goes through the full INTRUDER dialog, etc.

But that dude isn't who sets off the alarm. It's the pilot. You can do a no alarm run as loud as can be if you "just" kill the pilot.

Beyond that stealth shields are OP

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Jeesis posted:

Went to go do the personal mission for saving the characters girlfriend. Right as I was closing in on the ship it flew too close to a enemy station and got a bunch of missiles shot at it. Was thinking gently caress since it was cruising right back to a base, but then noticed that they managed to blow a hole right right next to the target. loving love this game.

On the same note, the game will also give you plenty of :argh: moments. Like this one time I pretty much failed a rescue mission the moment I got on-board because some colossal dumbass suddenly plowed into the ship,killing the target. Distracted driving kills, kids!

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Me: another goon playing another space game friend me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

I've added a bunch of people from this thread, but if I've missed you feel free to add me instead: http://steamcommunity.com/id/BrianPerkins/

Found a couple of you guys' weapons already -

including one :siren:from a chest in a defector mission:siren:

I'm not sure which of you is D43MON on Steam, but Jolisa Horizen is mine now :smug:

Gonna retire this guy now, probably send the self-recharging slipstream forward. Hope you guys get some good use out of it

That's the only personal mission I've successfully done thus far, both of my other attempts ended in death/capture. What happens if the ship escapes to it's base, but you get to safety before that happens? Do you get to try again?

• Locked thread