Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Killed By Death posted:

That's the only personal mission I've successfully done thus far, both of my other attempts ended in death/capture. What happens if the ship escapes to it's base, but you get to safety before that happens? Do you get to try again?

If it gets to base, but you bailed, you get another go round. As often as it takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only thing that fails a mission is if the target is destroyed permanently like for a rescue / capture mission. Maybe for a steal mission too?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Is there an easy way to beat the Unique Shipment that I'm overthinking? That flashing ship that's roaming the galaxy for a limited time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its just a medium/hard steal mission isnt it? I dont remember anything particularly difficult about it?

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.

Killed By Death posted:

I've added a bunch of people from this thread, but if I've missed you feel free to add me instead: http://steamcommunity.com/id/BrianPerkins/

including one :siren:from a chest in a defector mission:siren:

That one is mine :unsmith:

Anyone know if modifiying the game files messes anything up? I noticed that almost everything is in plain text including names and dialogue and all the tiles are just images in labeled folders. Hope they add workshop support.

Also, how long until furry mods?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Cojawfee posted:

I really like these defector missions. In a way, I like them better than the missions I'm getting now. It's a really cool way to show how you can use certain items to accomplish something in a new way. My only problem is that these methods only work in these defector missions. There's one where you just get two shields. That's fine and dandy for that mission, because the ship is set to no alarm response. But none of the normal missions I get are rogue anymore, so there's always an alarm response. I feel like once a character gets to a certain level, you only get missions where you have to rush as fast as you can, either using slipstreams and stealth, or just shootmanning your way through to the captain or the fuel tanks. I want to take a slow stealth method but that's literally impossible if I want to do harder missions. It would be cool if it were possible to hijack a bigger ship for yourself. As in take it and keep it, not lose it when you get back to a station. Would be cool to have the option to create your own faction out of stolen ships.

Yeah, the defector missions add variety to the gameplay with their challenge setups, and some of them give you ideas for normal gameplay by teaching you through the challenge, like the "you get a swapper and a glitch trap only" one

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Got this today, loved the hell out of Gunpoint and the few hours I've put into this have been great. Reading about the various methods and random events is great, lots of things I need to try out. So far I haven't retired anyone, they've all died or gotten captured but my current character's load-out is pretty great so I should be able to complete their personal mission and move on most likely.

Add me if you want, http://steamcommunity.com/id/Brightman42 , I'll probably add people from the group at random later tomorrow.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Can you make a gun that shoots hack?"

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I've found a few, one came from an overpriced mystery box

Thor-Stryker posted:

99% of the time it comes from the over-priced loot boxes in the shop

I also just figured this out tonight myself. Despite the name, the overpriced mystery crate isn't a rip-off. It doesn't seem like it ever gives you crappy blue loot, so you're always getting something that's at least pretty good. It's just totally random, and it's not like the game has all that many different item types so dupes are likely.

So crates actually are a good investment for your first hundred bucks earned. You might get something great, and I think the worst case is a rechargable item that you never have to buy consumables of again. Buying your personal mission right away is a waste of money.

Warmachine posted:

Example being I paused right before a stun bolt hit me on an Offworld Security ship. I didn't have much time, and having to hoover myself up after being spaced would have probably cost me the mission. So with no other option, I drop a Glitch Trap at my feet. I go down, the guards come over to collect me, and suddenly find themselves in space.

loving brilliant

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Killed By Death posted:

That's the only personal mission I've successfully done thus far, both of my other attempts ended in death/capture. What happens if the ship escapes to it's base, but you get to safety before that happens? Do you get to try again?

You almost always get to retry as long as you're not captured/dead. If it's a family member, and they live through your attempt, you'll get another shot. If it's an item, even if it's destroyed, you should get to start again. (I used the item, and happened to be a non-rechargeable variant that disintegrated upon first use. However, if you kill the family member somehow (like the missing with the Brick!), it's over.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

drat, flying around with the tick and spamming E until you randomly dock with a ship and steal all their poo poo is the best.

You get good hauls being a space pirate. :pirate:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does capturing a ship give you everything that dropped, or any other extra bonuses? Is there any reason NOT to go for the full capture?

(edit) Are there any bonuses for accomplishing all the post-mission objectives (no living witnesses, no alarms, no harm, no kills, etc)?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 25, 2017

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Does capturing a ship give you everything that dropped, or any other extra bonuses? Is there any reason NOT to go for the full capture?

Capturing a ship automatically sells any gear left on board. For stuff you don't want, easier than stashing it and ditching it later.

If you're just going straight up rogue though, it might be easier to keep a ship to attack the next and so on.

Ciaphas posted:

(edit) Are there any bonuses for accomplishing all the post-mission objectives (no living witnesses, no alarms, no harm, no kills, etc)?

No. The only benefits are the clauses are part of the contract. If not, feel free to do whatever. Other than that, just fun for you if you're specifically trying to ghost a mission.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Extreme range visitor and key cloner means for an ghost theft mission.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

Capturing a ship automatically sells any gear left on board. For stuff you don't want, easier than stashing it and ditching it later.

If you're just going straight up rogue though, it might be easier to keep a ship to attack the next and so on.

No. The only benefits are the clauses are part of the contract. If not, feel free to do whatever. Other than that, just fun for you if you're specifically trying to ghost a mission.

This game is now 100x more hilarious.

SPACE MURDER TIME, SPACE FUN TIME :kheldragar:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey is the nebula randomly generated too, or is it all the samish?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hey is the nebula randomly generated too, or is it all the samish?

Random. You even have the option in the menu between good looking nebulas and whatever.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gonna regenerate my nebula til I get one shaped like a dick

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GODDAMN

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Finally defeated all 4 strongholds after 25.5 hours. My most recent character(who went on to defeat the last stronghold) I started by taking a tip from earlier in the thread about using the Glitcher Tick to teleport to a bunch of ships and clean them out for gear. I was fortunate enough to find a self charging, medium capacity slipstream, further enabling quickly wiping out a ship for gear. Found a bunch of other good gear from just hopping onto a bunch of random ships. Highly recommend using the Tick! (Also, if you're going to be doing it a lot at the start with poor gear, stay in the Offworld area, they only use concussive so you won't bleed to death if you fail a few times.)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Turns out you can clear a stronghold with the character literally dying in the pilot seat as the ship pulls into the base.

Also, I've had a warzone rescue where the prisoner cell was separated from the rest of the ship by missiles, so all I had to do was dock with one window on a tiny spinning piece of junk.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you have the Angel Pod, it has medical facilities so you never get wounded.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

If you have the Angel Pod, it has medical facilities so you never get wounded.

Not never. If you get shot and not spaced, you recover on your own, but with the wound applied. It's just rare.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

So someone managed to get captured with a quest item and I got it in a crate :shepface:

or they retired it, either way it is really loving weird.

Jeesis fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Sep 25, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I like having assassinate for a personal mission because I can just hijack another ship and blow the target one to bits.

Do you get anything for doing defector missions or are they just fun challenges?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If we put the valuable object in the airlock maybe the space boogeyman wont murder us all.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Klyith posted:

you can use recoil from guns to move in space god drat

There is a defector mission that starts with you floating in space. Yes, without a pod.
Then a ship passes and you need to use your guns' recoil to get to the airlock.

Defector missions are so much fun.
One starts you with just two self charging Emergency shields. You basically waltz into a room with 4 guards, pop shields and let them kill themselves with the ricochets.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

All in a day's work. :coolfish:

Extreme Range Key Clones are A++ in all cases. Add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/Miraclebutte/ and find the gear I gave silly names to.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

All in a day's work. :coolfish:

Extreme Range Key Clones are A++ in all cases. Add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/Miraclebutte/ and find the gear I gave silly names to.

Ho-lee flipflops that is impressive!

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

If we put the valuable object in the airlock maybe the space boogeyman wont murder us all.

A feeble attempt.
I hope you did the right thing.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I love that my character rescued his wife from Offworld Security and then dumps her in the standard mission over receptacle.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh wow. Okay looks like you can defeat ships with heat detectors by going silent. i.e. maneuver yourself to intercept their airlock, but dont use any thrusters at all or you'll set them off.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh wow. Okay looks like you can defeat ships with heat detectors by going silent. i.e. maneuver yourself to intercept their airlock, but dont use any thrusters at all or you'll set them off.
There's a pod with a stealth engine mode just for that.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Killed By Death posted:

I'm not sure which of you is D43MON on Steam, but Jolisa Horizen is mine now :smug:

Holy poo poo, that's me. I blew that galaxy the gently caress up though, so kudos on her on making it out alive (none of her family did).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

There's a pod with a stealth engine mode just for that.

Yeah but it's near the end of the sovreign territory and ages away. Besides drifting in quiet is much cooler.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ho-lee flipflops that is impressive!

it's actually kind of easy to ghost things with a key cloner and stealth shields tbh

a self-charging stealth shield is probably the most OP thing in the game

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

help me out here. I retired a character with a self-charging subverter, when I selected a new character, I got a "shipment received" message, but the new character only has its stock equipment. Where do you get the inherited item?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

double nine posted:

help me out here. I retired a character with a self-charging subverter, when I selected a new character, I got a "shipment received" message, but the new character only has its stock equipment. Where do you get the inherited item?

The shipment received message just means you unlocked the launch week Everything Gun, nothing else

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

The shipment received message just means you unlocked the launch week Everything Gun, nothing else

oh. I figured that the item I sent was somewhere in the store or sth. Ah well.

say, what do grenades do? Specifically, do they ignore armor or shields?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Stash is on a per character basis right? It's not a shared inventory?

• Locked thread