Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Endorph posted:

The pom poms look more rubbery here, but if you look at them in ff12 it's clear they're just big balls of fluff. They're probably very squishable and don't have any internal organs or nerve endings.

I miss the Ivalice moogles. Theyre like fluffy rabbit hobbits.
Also the best moogles are the Crystal Chronicles fuzzballs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
More Magical Moogles, sez I!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Magickal Hume it is! :toot:

vdate posted:

More Magical Moogles, sez I!

Don't worry, this is covered too! Triple recruitment!!

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
I started playing this game again from this LP, and I just wanted to say that I have now beaten it for the first time, so thanks Solumin!

KataraniSword posted:

Tinker exists for four reasons, really:
  • To make everyone hate one mission down the road. Literally everyone. You'll know when you get there if you don't already.

Also, gently caress THAT MISSION! :argh:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Glaive17 posted:

I started playing this game again from this LP, and I just wanted to say that I have now beaten it for the first time, so thanks Solumin!

Also, gently caress THAT MISSION! :argh:

That's awesome!! I hope you enjoyed it.

Also I have no memory of this mission you're speaking of.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Solumin posted:

Don't worry. When it's time to act, all the memories will come flooding back if they've been repressed.

And if you just never tackled that mission, you'll learn. :unsmigghh:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I must have done that mission in a previous play through. Guess I have something to look forward to!

Next update should be up tonight, and I've already recorded footage for the update after that.

S_o_S93
Jun 21, 2017

Solumin posted:

That's awesome!! I hope you enjoyed it.

the definition of denial

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

S_o_S93 posted:

the definition of denial

It could be a suppressed memory.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Update 13: Nightmares and Flashbacks

In This Update:
- Auctions!
- Recruiting!
- Flashbacks!

---

Welcome back! Last update, we voted on the next character to recruit. Magick Hume won by a significant margin! We'll also be recruiting a gria.

Today's update also features the Fluorgis and Goug auctions before diving into some story missions.

---

With the continent of Ordallia open to us, it's time to tackle the last two auctions: Fluorgis and Goug.

These two are significantly more difficult than the previous three, with faster rounds, more bids and trickier bonuses. The token shop is essential for securing a victory, especially while we aren't the champs. We started with 9 2-coin and 3-coin tokens.

Fluorgis is 4 fast rounds with scattered bonuses. Ignore the 4th and 5th place ones, especially if they're late in the round. Denying those bonuses to other players by tying for higher positions is extremely effective here.

It took me a couple tries, even with an emulator helping me.

Goug is even worse. We have +1 of each kind of token, giving us 10 total. By default, we'd only have 6.

With 4 rounds to get through, I buy a whole lot of tokens. We started this update with 1006 CP.

Fluorgis covers the top four areas of the map, and Goug has the other four.

Goug's rounds are faster than Fluorgis's and have half as many bids.

Round 2: Aisenfield is easily the hardest. If you can get through that one without giving up too many bonuses, you can skate through the last two rounds with the tokens you bought.

No one else has enough tokens to challenge us! Griv's Caravan almost never plays high-value tokens, which is why they have a couple 5-coin tokens left.

And that's the last two auctions taken care of.

It's hard to say which of these two is the harder one. Goug has incredibly short and fast rounds, but you can basically buy your way through it. Fluorgis requires a lot more tokens to easily win, so you can't really buy it out. They're both a huge step above Moorabella and the other Loar auction houses.

After earning the champions-for-life title at Fluorgis and Goug, I ran a whole lot of auctions. These two cities have some of the best rewards in the game, especially for mages. There were also a few nice things I'd missed at the earlier auctions.

Here's some highlights:

Mandragora teaches Bio and Toad, the Scorpion Tail grants Protometeor to Alchemists, and the Heretic Rod has a +20 Magick bonus.

The Zeus Mace and Seventh Heaven teach Ultima attacks to Sages and Hunters, respectively. They are Grand Prize rewards from Camoa and Moorabella. You could be rocking Ultima within the first 6 hours of the game!

Judicer's Coat teaches Unscarred to Master Monks, which gives something like a +30% to offensive and defensive stats while the unit is at full HP. The Luminous Robe grants the Halve MP P-Ability, which cuts the costs of spells in half.

Also, this happened. Turns out you automatically win the round if you play over 30 coins.

---

Our next task is to recruit a gria. But first...

Say goodbye to Nyno. While Hunter isn't a bad job by itself, both it and Archer don't get many good abilities until later in the game due to item availability. Nyno has long been overshadowed by everyone else in the clan. Now that Inimo and Henri have Fusilier and Cannoneer available, Nyno's ranged damage is superfluous. Also, he's level 11 and everyone else is around 20. There's no way he can catch up quickly.

Recruits come in at the average level of the clan. He was single-handedly lowering the average by a couple levels.

Gria can be recruited in Fluorgis and Zedlei Forest during the months of Emberleaf and Plumfrost. Despite Zedlei Forest being on the Loar continent, you can't actually find them there until you've reached Fluorgis.

The Fluorgis recruit may be a Hunter or a Raptor.

Hunter is an alright job for gria. Their three other jobs all require 1 Hunter A-Ability, so every gria will be a Hunter eventually. Hunters have the highest Speed base and growth of the gria jobs, which is usually the most important factor when choosing a recruit.

However, Raptors have only 1 base Speed and 2% Speed growth lower than Hunters, and they make up for it with much higher Attack. Thanks to some lucky growths, this Raptor is both faster and stronger than the previous Hunter.

Welcome Zoe to Clan Sawyer!

We're going to wait a bit before getting our next recruit. I want to grab a Ninja, and they aren't available yet. Instead, it's story quest time!

---

"They say a creature within the mines weaves ill-omened dreams. I fear... I fear I may be a victim. Please, stop it before I go mad." - Dabool, Geologist

The Nazan Mines are the epicenter of spooky stuff in this game.

Seriously, you'd think the Tramdine Fens with the ghosts and ghouls and swampy cabins would be where all the supernatural stuff happens, but nope, it's all here in the abandoned mine.

: ... I'm fine. Just, I suddenly have this terrible headache.

Watch this in motion!

The Mist coalesces into the form of a great ghoul:

The Oversoul.

And of course he brought some friends!

Our target is the Oversoul, but his minions will do their best to get in our way.

Here's our crew. Tsing won't be using Mirror Items, he's only here for Phoenix Down support if necessary. Henri is now a Defender, a crowd-control focused melee job. Talf and Lenolia are our magick damage, which is useful against undead. Zoe also makes her debut as a frontline melee fighter.

This arena is smaller than it seems. Most of the fighting will be in the small zone in front of us, though any enemies that want to flee will have plenty of nooks and crannies to hide in.

Unlike most headhunt battles, it's hard to ignore the minions here. My plan is to strike down a couple minions to give me some breathing room, then focus on the Oversoul.

The Eye charged straight in, but since it doesn't have Critical: Quicken, I'm not worried about a Death Dive.

Here's the state of things a few turns in -- not much has happened since weakening the Eye. We're cautiously moving up, they're aggressively moving down.

Let's show off our new tricks! Protometeor is a great Alchemist spell. It's a small AoE that does decent damage for only 8 MP.

Watch this in motion!

And it summons a meteor from the heavens. Awesome!

Henri finally kills the Eye. It dodged quite a few attacks, of course.

The Oversoul and its minions all moved closer to us, giving Lenolia a perfect opportunity.

You may recall that in last update, Lenolia doublecasted a Summon (Ifrit) and Cure in order to keep her HP up. In the thread, Alkydere pointed out that if Lenolia was wearing element-absorbing gear, she could target herself and heal while attacking.

Unfortunately, the only element-absorbing gear I had was the Chameleon Robe, which absorbs Holy damage. Fortunately, the Fluorgis auction gave us the Cheer Staff, which teaches the holy-damage Maduin Summon. This spell also costs 1.5 times more than other summons and deals slightly more damage. Blood Price doubles the already-high MP cost, but the high damage she absorbs will heal her to full HP.

Also, undead are weak to holy damage.

Maduin costs 24 MP, or 48 HP with Blood Price.

Watch this in motion!

Two casts later, the zombie and wraith are dead and the Oversoul is at critical HP.

I'm an idiot and wanted Samuel to finish off the source of his nightmares. Tsing had his turn right after Lenolia's and could easily have finished it off.
Never show mercy.

Oh, but Zoe is wearing Bone Plate. She's healed for twice as much as the Oversoul is, and she got a free counter-attack.

She and Talf easily finish the job.

---

The Oversoul explodes in a fountain of Mist.

The little sprite that infected him earlier leaves Samuel's body.

It then explodes, and the world shifts.

---

Adelle's memory.

: You must live the life your parents could not.

: [unintelligible]

: It is not so hard. Simply be yourself. You understand, Adelle?

---

Cid's memory.

: I know I'll have none should I stay.

A shot rings out.

---

Wait why does Lezaford get a flashback?

---

Samuel remembers the first time he met Cid and Adelle.

And then we find ourselves in the gray and barren land.

His question goes unanswered, and the scene fades away.

---

: I've seen that place before, in a dream... Those barren stones... And something odd about it, almost as if... You saw it too, didn't you, Cid? Where was that?

: I cannot say. Perhaps it was merely a vision?

: Well, it still bothers me. Like I should know where it is. I don't think it was just a dream. Look, this may sound crazy, but I feel like I have to go there. I... I'm going to go find it.

: ... For now, we need to return to town. I must rest.

: Right.

: Adelle? Have you heard a word we've said?

: Oh... huh? O-Of course! Back to town, right? Well, what are we doing standing around? Let's be off!

---

The clan returns to Fluorgis.

: Hmm? What's going on over there?

: Probably a bard, come drifting in from somewhere.

: That music... it's really not bad at all. Kind of soothing after having my head put through the ringer back there.

The crowd applauds the bard's performance. The moogle approaches the bar, walking past Cid and Samuel.

: Just what someone in my profession wants to hear, kupo! Well, barman, if you could post that bill for me, I'll be off, kupo!

: Aye, you're in good hands. I'll send word as soon as your request's been accepted.

: Thanks, kupo! I'll be off then.

: Come back any time, friend!

The moogle bard leaves.

: Hey, barman. I couldn't help overhearing something about a "request"?

: Ah, yes, the moogle that just left's a traveling musician. And a bit of a collector of instruments on the side. Seems he's searching for materials to make a new instrument. I've just posted the bill. Have a look, if you're interested.

: Hey, if that bard's been around, maybe he'll know the place I'm looking for.

: Bards are well-versed in lore and the lay of the land... Aye, can't hurt to ask him.

: Great! I'll go get that stuff he wants and have a little chat with him!

---

"Oh, and if you find some flutegrass too, that'd be awful nifty, kupo!"

This quest is pretty interesting, at least from a design perspective.

We're trying to get the stra wood from the stra trees, but some Alchemist is testing out his new golems.

He brought some friends, which seems a little counterproductive.

This law is mildly annoying -- there's an enemy Gria, but since we just need to kill the Alchemist, it's not actually a huge problem. It could be inconvenient if she gets in the way of our spells.

Imino is showing off Fusilier. Tsing is with us to help with the enemy Ranger, who is very trap-happy.

You can expect this Ranger to set a trap every turn.

Awareness will help reveal those traps, of course! (It's the green square on the right, in front of the ranger.)

Except any new traps won't be revealed. Fortunately, the Ranger stays in that corner while everyone else moves toward our team.

Lian has Halve MP P-Ability thanks to the Luminous Robe we won in the Fluorgis auction. He can most spells every turn now!

Samuel moves forward. I still love Protometeor.

Our counter attacks don't break the law, since it specifies that only actions against females are illegal. Reactions are just fine.

Anyway, this is a straightforward slugfest. Imino's Blindshots are pretty effective. I'm considering keeping him as a Fusilier for a bit due to all the conditions.

The Alchemist himself isn't really a threat. All he does is drop Astras on his teammates. He doesn't stay alive long enough to do anything else.

He does have one trick up his sleeve: He knows the Beastmaster abilities for controlling Headless, which are what his Golems are.
It's pretty cool that he can actually control his creations.

Anyway, he doesn't last long.

Apparently the tree immediately to the right of the message box is a stra tree.

---

Now, the game tells us to go back to Fluorgis.

But we're ignoring that and instead heading to Sant D'alsa Bluff.
I mentioned earlier that this mission is mechanically interesting, before I got distracted by the whole battle.

As far as I can recall, this is the only mission with an optional battle. The quest description mentioned that finding flutegrass would be a nice bonus, and the only place to get that is from this extra battle.

It even has the same name as the regular quest. The only way to know where to go is to check your quest log, which will show a quest in Sant D'alsa Bluffs.

This is just a battle against a Lamia and a handful of Sprites and Dreamhares.

The Lamia does know Night, which Blue Mages can learn. Samuel forgoes his second sword so he can remember stuff better.

Night targets every unit except the caster, and I don't think the Lamia will cast it while any of its friends are alive.

Man, remember when Meteorite's animation was the coolest thing? Now we have space rocks of our own!

Alright, everything is dead except the Lamia. She's a little low on HP, but she should cast Night soon. I think it's a 64 MP spell.

Oh dear. Well, Samuel only has one sword, so she should be safe from the counter attack.

Oh man that was too close. I spend our turns moving everyone away from her.

Awesome! Note that this would have failed if Samuel hadn't fallen asleep.

---

Right, now we can return to Fluorgis.

The bard, Hurdy, gives us the materials and gil we need to complete the quest.

We do this by ordering the item from the bazaar. Honestly one of the cooler things they make you do for a quest.

Hurdy gave us a Spiral Vine, which when combined with the stra wood unlocks the Brilliant Theorbo.

The Shining Lute is unique and can only be bought during this mission -- you can't get the necessary Flutegrass anywhere else!

The Shining Lute is the superior option because of "Magick Ballad," which restores 10 MP to units in a 2x2 area. It's one of the best MP restoring abilities if you use multiple casters.

You can only pick one. Choose wisely and get the Shining Lute. The Brilliant Theorbo can be found later.

: No problem! Just seeing how happy you are is thanks enough for me. Actually, there was one thing I wanted to ask you - if you don't mind.

: You've seen a lot of people... been to a lot of places, right? Well, there's this place I'm trying to find. It's covered in a really thick fog - Mist, I guess. It's all rock - nothing living. It feels like it's underground, but you can't see the ceiling. For some reason, it makes me think of a graveyard. You ever heard of any place like that?

: You seem to know a lot about it! Are you sure don't know where it is?

: No, well - the thing is, I saw it in a dream. For all I know it doesn't even exist. But it was so real.

: I've never been anywhere like that before. Sorry I can't help, kupo.

: Nah, it's okay. I'm sorry for asking such a stupid question. Anyway, I can't wait to hear you play again. That last thing you played for us was great!

: It would be my pleasure, kupo! It's not every day you meet someone looking for a place from their dreams, kupo. I bet you have all sorts of interesting stories just waiting to be told! As it happens, I don't just sing songs. I write them, too! There's nothing like hearing about exciting adventures to set the quill scribbling, kupo!

Cid wandered off in the middle of the conversation, by the way.

: I don't know anyone else who came to Ivalice from another world through a magick book.

: Did that really happen, kupo!?

: Yeah... That's why I'm doing quests and looking for adventure. To get back to my own world.

: That's amazing, kupo!

: Do you suppose I might ask you a favor? Could I travel with you? Kupo? I've decided I want -you- to be the subject of my next song!

: Me? What!?

: I'm small, I won't get in the way! And you may not know it to look at me, but I'm not a half-bad fighter, kupo!

: Thank you, kupo! You won't regret it! My name's Hurdy.

: I'm Samuel. And this is Cid, and Adelle.

: Kupo! The pleasure is mine!

: Oh, there's word from the appraiser about the stone, Samuel.

: I was wondering when they'd be done. Guess we're off to Moorabella to pick it up then.

Samuel runs off.

: He's always running off somewhere. You get used to it, though.

: That's perfect! Just what I need! Something tells me this song is going to be epic! Kupo-po!

Hurdy is our first unique unit. He's a Bard, a magic support job with a variety of useful abilities. Magick Ballad is probably his best ability, but he can also raise defenses and purge undead.

Bards use instruments, of course. Previously, I complained about the lack of useful instruments for jobs like Animist and Beastmaster. It seems likely that there are so few early-game instruments because they were saving all of them for Hurdy's appearance.
Maybe they didn't want Bard to be spoiled by finding an instrument with a Bard ability on it. I don't think that's likely -- Bard only learns four more abilities, and we've seen weapons with skills for other unique jobs already.

Basically, Hurdy is what's wrong with this game.

---

Now that we've advanced the story a bit, let's grab our next recruit before returning to Moorabella.

Because they have so many jobs, humes can be recruited in three locations: Targ Woods, Galerria Deep and Sant D'alsa Bluff. They'll show up in all three locations during Blackfrost and Skyfrost.

The last location, located in Ordallia, only shows up when you've made enough progress through the story -- I did this recruitment after completing the "Making Music" story quest. When I tried doing this right after recruiting Zoe, no unit appeared.

Ninja is pretty much always the best recruit for humes, even though we're going for a mage. The extra Speed really is worth it! Most mages have terrible speed growths, and we can always keep him as a Black Mage for a couple levels and get that Magick stat up.

Welcome Leed to Clan Sawyer!

Of course, the other advantage of recruiting a Ninja is you don't have to teach them a bunch of Thief skills! Leed can start learning Dual Wield right away.

I will later gently caress this up by switching him to White Mage before teaching him any of the Veils.

---

As you may remember, Samuel left the magicite with an appraiser in Moorabella. We're headed back there to see what they found.

While Samuel and Cid are busy with that, Adelle is waiting for them at the pub.

Wait, who is that at the table?

: That's a shame. But I'll wait. I've time to kill anyway.

: Eh? Not here to check on the quests?

She looks a little familiar.

: I am, and you're not. If you've some tasty titbits, you're talking to the right gal. You see, I'm much more than just another pretty face.

: Yes... Better than the average hume in almost every respect.

Adelle backs away from her.

: What did you say?

: Come work for me.

: Huh? I... what? I-I'm with a clan, you know. The top-earning ace hunter, as it happens. Hard to just up and leave, see?

: That is... unfortunate. Thanks for the drink, barman. I would talk with you at greater length, but... work beckons. Fare well, hunter.

: Why...? Who was that?

Adelle wanders down into the pub, deep in thought.

: Turns out it's pretty rare stuff. The appraiser wasn't 100% sure, of course...

: Aye, but it's stolen, as we suspected. The appraiser'd heard of it. Word is the rightful owner's put up a bill requesting its return.

: Yeah. We're gonna pick up the quest and bring the stone to him.

: Ah. Great.

: "Great"? What's with you? Something wrong?

: Nothing. Just, giving away treasure isn't exactly my style.

: Hey, we're just bringing it back where - Hey, you didn't sell it, did you?

: Would I do such a thing? If you're so concerned, why not go get your quest and bring it back now?

: Good idea. I'm gonna go have a chat with the barman!

I think this scene really shows off Adelle's character. She's very quick on her feet, immediately throwing out the "ace hunter" excuse to the weird woman and, later, excusing her quietness by saying she doesn't want to give away treasure.

She's also still thinking like a lone adventurer, keeping her doubts to herself instead of telling Samuel and Cid about her strange encounter. Or perhaps she's still on guard from being spooked by the woman's strange comments.

---

Now we're off to hand over that stolen magicite.

Of course it's a Scholar who lost it.

: Whew. That magicite's pretty rare, isn't it.

: So it is. You have done me a great service.

: Don't mention it.

We're surrounded by enemies!

Oh. It's you.

The Scholar hands over the magicite to the ninja.

: So you were behind this!

: Ah, I see you have failed to die yet again. How many times must we kill you?

He leaves.

We have a Judge, we can't actually "leave permanently."

Another brawl, and a pretty lenient law to follow.

Tsing is a Berserker, because he might as well pick up one of their skills so he can unlock the other advanced seeq job. Lian and Imino are here for support, while Cid, Samuel and Zoe are our frontline attackers.

This Ranger is our first priority. With the law barring targeting all units, we can't use Awareness -- and as we've seen, it won't help us if he plants more.

I feel no guilt for this. It's the only time I'll use Mirror Items this battle.

This is a really straightforward fight, and this update is starting to get too long. Nothing much of interest happens, though we do see our first Paladin!

The Paladin job has a few unique abilities, which all follow their theme of "holy knight." One of their signatures is Cover, which lets them protect another unit against all damage.

Now every time that Hunter is targeted, the Paladin jumps in and takes the hit instead. Cover only lasts one turn, but that's sometimes all you need.

I think Cover is a buff and Roar might be able to remove it, but the easier way is to just disable the Paladin.

Like so. Stone, or Petrification, is a very powerful status that does not wear off. It's basically a form of death. Certain spells and item can cure it, thankfully, but the unit counts as KO'd in the meantime.

It's extremely rare. Only Bishops and (of course) Assassins can inflict it.

The Scholar didn't get a single spell off, and the Hunter wasted his time depleting Imino's MP. Everyone else falls pretty quickly.

---

: Relax, you couldn't have known. The petitioner's credentials were flawless. We've no time to investigate every nu mou claiming to be an Akademy scholar. For now, all we can do is wait... and watch. We can't move until we know what it is they're up to.

: Cid... The way that guy talked to you before the battle... You know them?

: ...You could say that. They're part of Khamja... an organization working out of Graszton. Officially they wright sea-vessels and airships. Unofficially, they smuggle outlawed goods, and trade on the black market.

: So... they're a crime syndicate? In Graszton? Wait a second... Cid! They weren't the ones who shot you in Graszton!?

: I failed to die, it's true... but he certainly didn't fail to make living painful.

Cid tried to walk away from his life in the mob and they didn't let him.
I like how they just brushed past "Cid was in the mob." I wonder how many skeletons are in his closet?

: And they went through all that trouble to get the magicite...

: Aye. Which means it's not just any rare rock. As I said, best to wait, see how they move. Jump too soon, and you'll land in a pit of vipers. To town, Samuel. Kicking at the dirt here will only scuff our boots.

: ...You're right.

---

Clan Sawyer decides to wait at the pub, which is reasonable. After all, that's where we'll hear some juicy rumors.

: The attempt on his life? Who hasn't? I hear his wounds may yet do for him.

: Beltorey... That Khamja guy was talking about him! He was attacked?

: His house had a price on a certain criminal's head.

: They know who did it?

: Them sky pirates are the streetears' favorites. You know, the ones come in from the east.

: Sky pirates from the east... He doesn't mean those two!? I'm not buying it. I met them... They really didn't seem the types to attack anyone.

: Baron Beltorey is the most powerful man in Graszton. The roots of his house run deep. Meaning he'd have more than enough to tempt a sky pirate fallen on hard times. Still... with Khamja on their way to meet him, and now this story... It's suspicious, to say the least.

: Let's check it out!

---

Thanks for reading! We're finally latching onto the main story arc, after "Can Samuel Go Home" in the tutorial.

Our clan is really filling out now. I see maybe one or two more recruits in the near future.

Next time: Quests.

ShadowBlaze94
Jan 22, 2017
I started getting into my first playthrough that got farther than Lord of the Flowsand a little bit before starting to read this LP. There are a few things that are confusing me about my playthrough, however. I'm somehow about 10 levels higher then Solumin's party despite being several main story missions behind (about to do the first mission in the Tramdine Fen), so I'm curious as to the rate that your doing the side quests, because that's the only reason I can think of for such a large discrepancy since I'm not going out of my way to grind or min-max.

I'm also wondering which of the unique units generally get used during standard playthroughs, especially with the introduction of Hurdy, since right now my main team is Luso Samuel, Adelle and 4 generics (I've pretty much not touched Cid since he joined)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

ShadowBlaze94 posted:

I started getting into my first playthrough that got farther than Lord of the Flowsand a little bit before starting to read this LP. There are a few things that are confusing me about my playthrough, however. I'm somehow about 10 levels higher then Solumin's party despite being several main story missions behind (about to do the first mission in the Tramdine Fen), so I'm curious as to the rate that your doing the side quests, because that's the only reason I can think of for such a large discrepancy since I'm not going out of my way to grind or min-max.

I'm also wondering which of the unique units generally get used during standard playthroughs, especially with the introduction of Hurdy, since right now my main team is Luso Samuel, Adelle and 4 generics (I've pretty much not touched Cid since he joined)

I've completed 74 quests. The latest update and the next, as-yet-unwritten update apparently cover about a dozen quests in total. I also have 12 units in the clan, so XP is a little more spread out. Doing more side quests and random battles with fewer units could easily get you 10 levels higher than me.

As for the unique units, that really depends on your play style. I didn't use Adelle or Cid at all in my first playthroughs. Leveling them up makes certain battles and quests easier, since you won't have to babysit them. There's another handful of unique units we haven't seen yet, and I have never used them. For the purposes of the LP, I'll at least show them off.

One of the things I don't like about this game is the number of unique units you're stuck with.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I think the flashback of Lezaford may actually be the memory of your Judge.

Spoilers because I can't recall if that's actually a major plot point or not.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

ShadowBlaze94 posted:

I apologize for spoilers, but at least in my opinion the only unique unit worth bothering with beyond "I can't get rid of them anyway" is Vaan. His ability to turn traps into high-level loot (note that this works on your own traps and is the only way to disarm traps without setting them off) makes him worth a spot in your team by itself, and the rest of his moveset isn't half bad. Admittedly, his heavy damage move is awful, but other than that he gets a lot of versatility and unique moves. Make him a Geomancy Paravir and rip poo poo up while doing poo poo only he can do. The others are usable, but nothing special.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Solumin posted:

The Shining Lute is the superior option because of "Magick Ballad," which restores 10 MP to units in a 2x2 area. It's one of the best MP restoring abilities if you use multiple casters.

You can only pick one. Choose wisely and get the Shining Lute. The Brilliant Theorbo can be found later.

Minor correction: Both are available later without RNG (there's a thing in Flourgis that hasn't been shown off yet that is entirely random that can also give both). One quest gives the Brilliant Theorbo reliably (and repeatably) as a second-place prize, whereas the only other reliable Shining Lute in the game is a reward from a long, entirely unintuitive quest chain that requires you to repeat several quests multiple times to even fully complete.

Get the Shining Lute here to save yourself the headache.

quote:

Hurdy is our first unique unit. He's a Bard, a magic support job with a variety of useful abilities. Magick Ballad is probably his best ability, but he can also raise defenses and purge undead.

Bards use instruments, of course. Previously, I complained about the lack of useful instruments for jobs like Animist and Beastmaster. It seems likely that there are so few early-game instruments because they were saving all of them for Hurdy's appearance.
Maybe they didn't want Bard to be spoiled by finding an instrument with a Bard ability on it. I don't think that's likely -- Bard only learns four more abilities, and we've seen weapons with skills for other unique jobs already.

Basically, Hurdy is what's wrong with this game.

I'd honestly invert cause and effect there. Everything wrong with this game is condensed into Hurdy, as opposed to Hurdy being the problem.

They held back instruments because the abilities on the Bard instruments - at least in the Animist's case, arguably in Beastmaster's too - were solidly top-tier poo poo. Friend is basically a cheap random summon (though that's kind of moot with Summoners being a Viera class), Cuisine is a full heal no matter how much HP you need to restore, Chocobo Rush is cheap, solid AoE, and Sheep Count is AoE Sleep, which was broken as hell in FFTA the first. On the flipside, Ahrimans, Floateyes, Tonberries, Behemoths, Dragons - those are all endgame enemies you're pushing through. So instead of leaving instruments to the whims of the RNG like every other loving thing, they violently gated most of the stronger instruments behind finding and meeting Hurdy.

Because gently caress using jobs except when we allow you to, I guess.

On the plus/minus, Hurdy is the single unique-job unit you will get until the final boss, and the last 100% plot-forced addition to the clan. A few more unique-jobbers unlock right when the endgame mission is available, and one is explicitly postgame-only. There's at least one more unique-sprite character with The Same Old Job Classes (ala Luso/Adelle/Cid) before then, but they're optional.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 28, 2017

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Minor correction: Both are available later without RNG (there's a thing in Flourgis that hasn't been shown off yet that is entirely random that can also give both). One quest gives the Brilliant Theorbo reliably (and repeatably) as a second-place prize, whereas the only other reliable Shining Lute in the game is a reward from a long, entirely unintuitive quest chain that requires you to repeat several quests multiple times to even fully complete.

Get the Shining Lute here to save yourself the headache.

Hmm, I thought it was exclusive. Either way, Magick Ballad is the better skill.

quote:

I'd honestly invert cause and effect there. Everything wrong with this game is condensed into Hurdy, as opposed to Hurdy being the problem.

They held back instruments because the abilities on the Bard instruments - at least in the Animist's case, arguably in Beastmaster's too - were solidly top-tier poo poo. Friend is basically a cheap random summon (though that's kind of moot with Summoners being a Viera class), Cuisine is a full heal no matter how much HP you need to restore, Chocobo Rush is cheap, solid AoE, and Sheep Count is AoE Sleep, which was broken as hell in FFTA the first. On the flipside, Ahrimans, Floateyes, Tonberries, Behemoths, Dragons - those are all endgame enemies you're pushing through. So instead of leaving instruments to the whims of the RNG like every other loving thing, they violently gated most of the stronger instruments behind finding and meeting Hurdy.

Because gently caress using jobs except when we allow you to, I guess.

On the plus/minus, Hurdy is the single unique-job unit you will get until the final boss, and the last 100% plot-forced addition to the clan. A few more unique-jobbers unlock right when the endgame mission is available, and one is explicitly postgame-only. There's at least one more unique-sprite character with The Same Old Job Classes (ala Luso/Adelle/Cid) before then, but they're optional.

That's how I meant that comment -- perhaps I should have said "represents what's wrong."

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Solumin posted:

Hmm, I thought it was exclusive. Either way, Magick Ballad is the better skill.

You get it as a capstone reward for finishing the Rivalry of the Rupies quest chain. The way you unlock the final quest is by beating the repeating Nu Mou Nobles/Bangaa Brotherhood fights a total of ten separate times between the two. It’s real dumb and one of those quests you only do if you’re gunning for 300/full completion. And unlike the quest for the Brilliant Theorbo, that one’s a one-off. There’s only two (non-luckstick) Shining Lutes in the game.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Job Roundup #10: Knights of Ivalice (Moogle Knight, Defender, Paladin)

Today's Job Roundup focuses on chivalry in Ivalice. Moogle Knights, Defenders and Paladins are exemplary melee physical jobs that all draw from the classic image of the knight. Really, all they're lacking is a horse and a lance.

---

Moogle Knight

Races: Moogle
Locked By: 1 Animist
Unlocks: Nothing

Equipment:
- Weapons: Blades
- Armor: Heavy Armor, Shields

Growths: Top-tier W.ATK and W.DEF, great M.RES, below average Speed.

Moogle Knight is basically the Moogle version of Hume's Fighter. In fact, they learn many of the same abilities, just with different names. Moogle Lance is Air Render, Moogle Attack is Blowback, and Ultima Charge-- wait, Fighter doesn't learn that. Yes, once again, we have a physical job learning an Ultima ability. At least heavy armor means the Moogle Knight will be able to take some hits between Ultimas. Or just learn Ultima Charge so your Fusilier can rain death from across the battlefield.

Moogle Knight is a really solid and dependable job. Its abilities are a mix of offense, defense and buffs, and their great physical stats make them mean front-line fighters. Their low speed holds them back, and the lack of M.POW means you'll want to look elsewhere to use Ultima Charge, but don't overlook Moogle Knight and definitely don't underestimate them.

---

Defender

Races: Bangaa
Locked by: 2 Gladiator

Equipment:
- Weapons: Broadswords, Knightswords
- Armor: Heavy Armor, Shields

Growths: Top-tier W.DEF, fantastic HP, great W.ATK and M.RES, below-average
speed.

The closest thing Bangaa have to a Paladin, Defenders sound like they should be holding the line but really want to get stuck in and surrounded by enemies. They have a lot of melee AoE, able to hit surrounding enemies with 3 different abilities -- one of which leaves them fully vulnerable to enemy attacks, and the other sacrifices all of their current HP to deal damage. Fortunately, they can give themselves Reraise and Regen with the Aura skill. Rounding out their defensive skill set are Hibernate and Bulwark, which are basically the Pokemon attacks Rest and Protect. They have a really cool passive, Tank, which allows any job to equip Heavy Armor.

Defenders really exemplify the "find new and interesting ways to deal damage" aspect of Bangaa jobs. Melee-range AoE skills are rare, so it's interesting to see 3 of them on one job. Despite their name, Defenders seem to be a high-risk, high-reward job: you want to get stuck in and lay waste to everything around you.

I've rarely used a defender. My play style emphasises all-out offense, and jobs like Master Monk just do that better.

---

Paladin

Races: Hume
Locked by: 3 Soldier

Equipment:
- Weapons: Greatswords, Knightswords
- Armor: Heavy Armor, Robes, Shields

Growths: Best Hume weapon defense. Below average speed, but good weapon attack
and magic stats.

Paladin is a highly defense-focused melee job -- basically, they're tanks. Their heavy armor and phenomenal defensive growths mean they can take hit and after hit. Their abilities are appropriately defensive, with series-staple Cover (protect an ally from taking damage) standing out. Paladin has an appropriately holy bent, of course, with the anti-undead Sanctify ability for support and Holy Blade and Saint Cross for damage.

Fortunately, paladins are more than capable of bringing righteous fury to their enemies. Knightswords provide incredibly high damage for one-handed weapons -- higher than many two-handed weapons, for that matter. And you can dual-wield them. Holy Blade is a great ability since so many enemies are weak to holy damage. Cover is a bit niche but there are times you just need to protect someone. In those situations, call a Paladin.

One flaw in the Paladin job is a lack of variety in their damaging abilities. Besides their basic attack, their only damaging abilities are Holy Blade and Saint Cross, and both of those are melee-range Holy attacks. I recommend pairing them with Fighter abilities for range (Air Render and Aurablast!) or a Parivir for more elemental damage. Seer is an interesting choice, since Magick Frenzy takes advantage of Paladin's powerful basic attack.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 5, 2018

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Update 14: Found Yet Another Job

In This Update:
- Unlocking jobs
- Saving animals
- Barely making a dent in the quest count

---

Welcome back! Last time, we recruited the bard Hurdy and a couple other friends, settled Samuel's nightmares by slaying the Oversoul, and found out that Vaan and Penelo are wanted for attempted murder.

Today, we're going to tackle a bunch of side quests. There's a frankly overwhelming number of them available right now, and a number of updates will have to be devoted to just those.

---

We're running into the last handful of job unlock quests. There's about eight left, and we're going to handle five of them today.

First up:

"Lord Grayrl!" unlocks the seeq's Viking job, an axe-wielding maniac that can shoot lightning.

This particular quest is unlocked by reading a notice about a clan of brigands that are selling fake gems. It's also gated by your story quest progression.

Every quest has a bit of flavor text when you select it on the map. This is probably my favorite.

This law looks worse than it is. Just bring lots of ranged units and you'll be fine.

I'm still trying to raise levels, so only half this team is good at ranged combat.

Lord Grayrl is a being of pure bluff and moxie. I kind of love how audacious he is. You get so much of his character from one short conversation.

Leed sighed as he drew his katanas.

This battlefield has you wedged between two groups of enemies. But since it's a headhunt, you should ignore or disable the mooks in front of you, ignore the ones to your right, and focus on Lord Grayrl.

Being forced to move 3 squares every turn makes for some funky movement, but even our melee characters can put some work in.

I did mention Vikings can shoot lightning, right? Thundaga is the third-tier Lightning spell, and it looks totally awesome.

With their average weapon attack and magick power growths, Vikings don't make the best mages. Unfortunately, they're the best job for raising magick power for seeqs.

Anyway, we just focus on Earl Gray. Lenolia already took out the Animist that was over here, and we're still ignoring the two other Vikings that are harassing our back line.

It's not a hard mission, as long as you don't let the law scare you. Ranged damage is king.

Grayrl continues to bluff us about the price. Can't say he gives up easily!

What exactly are "pirate spices"? Either way, we have a new job!

---

We've had this mission waiting for us forever, but we've never had the necessary loot on hand.

This violates so many lab safety rules.

A cute little mission.

Onward!

Now that we have a Viking, we can take on this dispatch mission.

And boy is it worth it! Lightwing Crystals and Wyrmtwigs are really high-tier loot. The crystals are used to unlock things like three of the Ultima weapons.

But then we hit a snag. The clan recruitment (that's the white bubble) is just a minor annoyance, but there's a random battle between us and the quest.

We could walk around a bit and hope the enemies disappear from the map, but we're on kind of a tight schedule -- I have 6 quests queued up right now. No choice but to vanquish them!

There is one upside to this: we can learn three new Blue Mage abilities here!

The Baknamy knows Magick Hammer, and more importantly the two Sprites know Angel Whisper and Healing Wish. We really want those two spells, since they're really quite excellent heals.

Samuel re-equipped Learn, and Talf has switched to Beastmaster. He has the Faerie Harp equipped, which we picked up at the Fluorgis auction. That weapon lets him control Sprites.

There's six enemies here: the Baknamy, the two Sprites, a Banshee (the red Sprite), a Dreamhare and a Chocobo.

First, kill the Dreamhare and the Chocobo. They don't have any useful abilities and will get in our way. We should also kill the Banshee, but she ends up being a non-issue.

One issue: these are not cheap abilities, and the Sprites are more than happy to spend their MP on Meteorite instead.

So we use an Ether to restore their MP. Another option would be the Ether Shell ability, I believe, but I didn't think to bring that with me.

Now, Talf can make the Sprite use Angel Whisper on Samuel.

Angel Whisper both heals (about as much as Cure) and grants Reraise.

We finish of the Banshee and the Sprite that we just learned from.

We do the same thing with the other Sprite. Notice how we have the Sprite (mostly) surrounded. This is the easiest setup for learning Blue Mage abilities.

White Wind cures the target an amount equal to the caster's current HP, which is monstrously useful.

I had hoped the Baknamy would target Samuel with Magick Hammer, but no such luck. I don't have the ability to control it, so we slay it and move on.

---

Now we can move on to Wanted: Woodcutter!

This poor carpenter's coworkers are envious of his appointment. Fortunately, Clan Sawyer is here to save the day!

Tsing will be back in a couple days.

Note that Vikings are one of only two jobs that can equip axes, and we don't have the other one unlocked yet.

Tsing catches up to us on our way to the next quest. These dispatch missions are some of my favorites; they add a lot of flavor without dragging things out.

---

Our next quest takes us to the Aldanna Range, where we need to rescue some chocobos.

Note that this is a multi-location mission that cannot be dispatched. (None of the job quests can be.)

We also picked up "It's a Trap!" which also takes place in the Aldanna Range. It's currently covered by Popocho's Chocobos, so we'll tackle it later.

On to the first battle!

You may be thinking to yourself, "this doesn't look too bad! A handful of enemies, some of them close to the chocobo, but we'll spawn nearby and be able to protect it!"

And you'd be wrong.

First of all, we spawn over here. Yeah, the battlefield isn't terribly large, but you better have brought some fast units. (Notice both of our ninjas and our only flyer are here.)

Oh, and we only have 4 units here.

This is the real twist. This is my least favorite law ever. Last time we saw it, we were able to cheese it by eliminating the bounty target in one hit. This time, we have to abide by it to take out four enemies.

This is so patently stupid that we're just going to break that law.

Zoe flies over and grabs this Grimoire Stone, a consumable item that boosts everyone's magick stats when used in battle.

Worth it. Otherwise we'd be here all day, and we'd probably accidentally break the law with a critical hit or something anyway.

The monsters are faster than us, and they lead off with this bullshit.

Our best bet is to charge down with our fastest characters and take down the two monsters threatening the chocobo. On the way over, we'll try to take out this other Werewolf. This will make it take longer to reach the chocobo, but Adelle and Leed are fast enough that it won't make a huge difference.

Fortunately, chocobos are not defenseless -- just *mostly* defenseless.

First Werewolf is down. I love Raptor for Whirlwind alone.

Crosscounter is one of the best abilities in the game. The attack does about 10% more than the regular attack, on top the bonus damage for hitting an enemy with Counter.

Finally, the chocobo can escape, where it will be safe for approximately 0.2 seconds. Also, Chocobos have their own cure spell, which is pretty nice.

The Chocobo is no longer in imminent danger. Even though the Werewolf is right there, we can easily take it out in a couple turns.

We also somehow got two opportunity commands.

Zoe takes out the last two monsters.

That's the first chocobo saved!

---

The next battle is slightly better.

First of all, the law is less awful.

There's two chocobos this time, but still only four monsters.

The team is split in two, and each group will save one chocobo.

The green chocobos are faster than the enemy, and the northern one is able to regroup with us before the enemies can stop it.

Lenolia has mastered Maduin. She can doublecast it with Ifrit to hit the enemies' weaknesses while still healing herself.

If she could carry shields, she'd be able to absorb multiple elements. No such luck yet.

The green chocobo even makes itself useful and gets a kill!

And Lenolia cleans up the other two with double Maduins.

One more battle to go!

Back on the map, "It's a Trap!" has reappeared. It was covered by the battle we just finished. We'll tackle it after finishing with Popocho and his Chocobos.

---

The last battle isn't much harder than the second one. It has a couple really beefy enemies, but nothing we (or Lenolia) can't handle.

Leed doesn't have any abilities, so it's perfectly safe to bring him. All he needs is dual-wielded katanas, anyway.

Anyway, we finally meet Popocho! He's a Chocobo Knight, which means he rides chocobos and uses their powers as his own.

Unfortunately, all that time huffing chocobo feathers has left his brain addled.

We have to keep Popocho and his two Chocobos safe this time.

This is difficult because the black chocobo is nearly suicidal, and the white chocobo keeps trying to heal it.

There's a Wraith, but doublecasted Cures wounds it enough that Popocho can kill it. This is the only useful thing you'll ever see him do.

And even then, Henri still needs to clean up after him.

Lenolia takes care of the first drake. I hope the past few updates have proved to you why Blood Price Double Cast Summoner is a terrifying powerhouse.

Lian keeps the chocobos alive while Leed kills off the second drake.

And the dragon falls. It made the mistake of being weak to holy damage while being in the same county as Lenolia.

Popocho is suitably grateful, though still tongue-tied.

We've unlocked one of the worst jobs in the game. :toot:

I actually did this quest because Blood-darkened Bones are really useful loot. They unlock the Zwillblade, which teaches Sten Needle to Rangers. That's the blue trap that cuts the victim's health in half. Very useful, as traps go.

---

"It's a Trap!" is between us and the map's exits, so we have no real choice but to do it next.

The conceit is that someone accidentally dropped a bunch of traps, and we need to remove them before someone runs afoul of them.

You know what? This quest looks pretty boring. I'm going to dispatch it.

I originally thought the traps were hidden, but I notice now that they're already revealed. It would have been really frustrating to try to find traps, especially without being able to use Awareness.

After a quick restart, I threw together this dispatch party that should be able to handle it.

You can dispatch a quest after you've taken it by looking at the Quest List in the Clan Menu. It's occasionally useful.

By dispatching the quest, the marker disappears from the map and we can move on to the next quest.

---

We aren't going to rescue a cat, unfortunately. Instead, we'll find a man wearing a hood with cat ears on it, otherwise known as a Seer.

The objective is to defeat all the monsters and keep Roye the Seer alive.

All our ranged characters have been dispatched, so we can't really run afoul of this law.

Much like the chocobo missions we just did, we're trying to protect someone who is on the other side of the map and surrounded by monsters.

And two more monsters spawned in. It's a 7 v 5, so the numbers are still in our favor. Even better, two of the monsters will aggro on us instead of the Seer.

Also this happens.

I guess they're Werewolves, so being able to speak English isn't that weird?

Anyway, this is a mad dash to Roye to stop the monsters from killing him.

One of the Headless tried to stop us, but he was merely a speedbump on our way out.

Here's Hurdy's Magick Ballad, by the way. (I cast it before killing the Headless. Giving it MP was harmless, it didn't have time to use it.) 10 MP isn't a lot, but supporting multiple casters at once makes up for it.

That's not zapping, Roye.

Fortunately, the Seer's AI is smart enough to tuck him into this corner. He's protected on all three sides, and only one monster can reach him at a time.

The other Headless tried to interfere with us, but was turned to stone. The rest of the team is free to run to Roye.

Not that Roye really needs help. The Werewolf already retreated -- which the AI will almost always do instead of sticking around to keep attacking.

Magick Frenzy lets a Seer cast a spell, then teleport in and attack every enemy that was hit by it. It's a really neat ability that I've never used before!

This is what Leed is working towards.

Meanwhile, Lian is stealing from corpses statues.
We haven't seen much stealing in this LP. Thieves are the best at it, but Bishops can steal a random piece of loot using their "Pilfer" spell.

Because the target is incapacitated, Pilfer is guaranteed to succeed. We can keep using Pilfer and steal more loot.

Roye is able to handle a wolf by himself, and we catch up to the monsters in time to take out the other wolf.

Since the battle is almost over, Samuel dismantles Roye's defenses and finds a Eureka Stone. This is a physical version of the Grimoire Stone we saw earlier, and it will restore everyone's HP to full and boost their physical stats.

Adelle quickly dispatches the last enemy before it can take advantage of Roye's exposed flank.

Cat ears for everyone!

---

Our next jobs are in Ordallia. On our way to Fluorgis, the dispatched party returns.

And a special event pops up in Fluorgis. I have no memory of this.

: Watch where yer goin', hume-boy.

Samuel steps aside to let the two bangaas through.

: Hold there, hume-boy!

: Huh? What? ...I'm on my way to meet someone

: What I took...? You mean steal? I didn't steal anything!

: Perhaps ye'd like to tell me just where my magick medallion is?

: How should I know? You probably just dropped it somewhere.

: Think I'm clumsy, do ya, hume-boy? Yer a thief an' a liar!

: Look, I'm not lying and I didn't take anything, you big fat liz-

: Hrah? A moogle? This boy with you, moogle?

: Oh yes. Did he run into you? I'm sorry, kupo! He's always dashing here and there. Must've been taken for a thief a hundred times, kupo!

: I said I'm not a thief!

: What if I say y'are, an' that this moogle there's yer accomplice!?

: Kupo-po! Why don't you look down there first?

: Err? My medallion!

: You must've dropped it when he ran into you, kupo! You see? He's no thief!

: Hrrah... Yer lucky yer friend showed up when he did, hume-boy.

Mollified, the two bangaas leave.

: Um... thanks for helping me out there.

: I had to, kupo! If you'd said "lizard" like you were going to, we'd have had a fight on our hands! No matter what they might call you, -never- call a bangaa a lizard, kupo! Got it?

: Yeah, okay.

: Well, I'm off, kupo. Bye for now!

Just as the moogle leaves, Hurdy shows up.

: Sorry I'm late, kupo!

: You're sorry? I almost had two bangaas beat my head in! Who knows what would have happened if that moogle hadn't come along...

: A moogle broke up a fight with some bangaa? That took nerve, kupo! Sounds like something my brother would do, kupo. He could never stand by and watch a bully. He's a nice guy, my brother. You should meet him sometime.

: I'd like that.

: Anyway, enough about him. Sorry I'm so late! I'll treat you to some roasted zignuts, kupo. Consider it my apology!

: All right! I know just the place! There's a guy who sells great zignuts in the square over that-a-way.

: Kupo!

OK, let's talk about this scene a bit.

Veterans of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance will notice similarities between this scene and the beginning of FFTA. In that game, the protagonist Marche antagonizes a White Monk and a Warrior by calling them lizards. He's helped by Montblanc, a moogle.

And here we are in FFTA2, where Montblanc is once again helping out a poor hume, though the battle is avoided this time around. Yes, the beloved (er, maybe) moogle makes a cameo in this game. And we're dragging around his little brother, Hurdy!

It's a nice reference, though a little forced in my opinion. Samuel has been here in Ivalice for months now, and it's a little hard for me to believe that he hasn't picked up on any social cues like which words are slurs for each race.

I hope the eagle-eyed reader who noticed Montblanc way back in the first update feels vindicated!

One other detail: When we first landed in Fluorgis, Adelle mentioned the roasted zignuts are great in Fluorgis. I like to think Adelle and Samuel explored the city together and found the best roasted zignuts in the city.

---

Sleight of hand:

This mission unlocks the final job for bangaa.

A mission in the mines that doesn't involve undead, for once!

Ugh. Here's the rub: Tricksters, which are the enemies we're facing today, are entirely focused around conditions and debuffs. Unless your entire team is stocked to the gills in condition-blocking equipment like Ribbons, there's no way to uphold the law. It's possible to do that, but it takes a lot of work.

I think this is a good way to use laws: You can either restrict yourself for extra rewards, or go for the most expedient route. I don't think the game really does that well though! The rewards for following the law aren't as great as they were a dozen updates ago.

Most of our clan is in the low 20s by now. I think the average is around level 22.

Like other job unlock quests, everyone in this clan is a Trickster and they're looking for challengers. Clan Sawyer is more than happy to oblige.

Tricksters are pretty annoying enemies.

Their basic attack's range is approximately half the universe -- no seriously it's the longest in the game at 8 tiles, beating all ranged weapons except guns.

Not only do they deal decent damage, but they do it with panache.

Their abilities inflict conditions, such as Berserk and Poison.

And yeah, that broke the law. We haven't even moved yet!

However, their HP and defenses are pretty low. If you can land a few hits on them, you can easily take out a Trickster. The problem is actually getting close enough to hit!

Shadow of Doubt immobilizes while Hypochondria inflicts poison. Trickster debuffs are all about disabling the opponent.

Their signature ability is Traumatize, which deals exponentially more damage for every condition on the enemy. I believe the formula is 5 * 2n, where n is the number of conditions on the target.

Trickster would have been absolutely killer in FFTA. With conditions as they are in this game, they take a lot of work to get rolling.

It's not long before we've killed the last one. Tricksters are really squishy and benefit greatly from teammates taking fire for them. A team of six of them is going to overrun quickly if their conditions don't land.

Trickster is one of the cooler new jobs, and one I've never used. Henri will be showing it off sooner or later.

---

Just a couple quests left. Wanted: Marksman is another unit drop-off quest.

Obviously, another Fusilier is the best unit for the job.

Why does the consortium outsource this? It doesn't really make sense. Don't they want to keep their new products under wraps? Did Clan Sawyer have to sign an NDA?

---

Thanks to the Lady's Tresses we earned from the Cilawa the Gluttonous quest, we could buy the two books required for this quest.

This nu mou Scholar eats books.

Wait no, he just speed-reads them as smugly as possible.

Is smugness infectious?

We've unlocked one of the worst jobs in the game. :toot:

It's sad that I said that twice in one update, isn't it.

---

"I've a reputation to uphold!" he says, as he pawns off seducing women to hapless clanners.

Oh boy :allears:

Oh my god Samuel.

I send these two off to handle the other two women. They don't succeed.

---

Let's wrap up this update with one last small, non-battle quest.

: What do you think we'll find out here, Samuel?

: You're really enjoying this, aren't you, Adelle. Me, I can't stand waiting around for something to happen. I'm ready for some action!

: Keep prattling on like this and you're sure to keep the monsters in-

Oh.

: Huh? That zombie reminds me of-

: Yeee... It's you! Haaa... How long has it been? Hooo... Who would have thought we would chance to meet like this? It is a small world indeed!

: Buuu... But what brings you to such a place in the small hours of the night?

: We're on a quest to take care of some monsters causing trouble around here.

: Muuu... Monsters, you say? Luuu... Let me think... No, I've seen nothing.

There's an awkward pause, and Lotice flinches when she realizes the truth.

: Thuuu... Then again... Perhaps I am the monster you seek.

:smith:

: Thuuu... This place is so pleasant and cool when the sun has fallen. Buuu... But perhaps I have sojourned overlong. Fuuu... Forgive me. I will soon take my leave.

: Buuu... But there is one thing. Naaa... Not even a favor, in truth. I only wish for you to sit and listen to me.

: That's it? Sure!

: Yeee... I find myself forgetting a great many things. Buuu... But I cannot forget the one thing I wish I could... A man there was, whom I loved. A great knight named Luc Sardarc. If you should... should meet him on your travels... tell him I tried to find him.

: Okay. If we seem him, we'll let him know.

Lotice bows her thanks and walks away.

: Luc Sardarc... I'm surprised to hear that name. The zombie Lotice must be the famed blademaster Frimelda Lotice. Blademaster Lotice and Sir Sardarc were an incomparable team on the battlefield. They were famed throughout Jylland for defending the weak and challenging the tyranny of the strong.

: They've not been seen in a year or more. They were said to have left on a pilgrimage of some sort...

---

Thanks for reading! That was a solid block of quests, wasn't it? Don't worry, we still have plenty left to do! We've completed 74 out of 300 quests -- yeah, we have a while to go yet.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 7, 2019

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
This LP has inspired me to pick up my old game and try it out once more! When I loaded it up I realized that my first file was actually about three battles away from the end, so I looked up what jobs would be good, patched together a decent final party, and finally finished the game!

But my characters are really bad because I really wanted to have everyone get all of the abilities on their jobs, and I didn't consider the fact that if I wanted to do that, I should start on the jobs at the top and work my way down. I had assumed it would be like FF5, where characters get regular level ups and their stats change as their jobs do. So I've started over and trying my luck one more time at making a decent party, and let me tell you, it's so much easier when your characters aren't coasting on Soldier levels for half the game.

TLDR; thanks for inspiring me to finish the game and thanks for making things less of a hassle for my next playthrough!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Despite its main gimmick being debuffs, Tricksters are secretly the best Bangaa job in the game.

See, on top of cards having an absurd Gun-sized range, Trickster has the race's best Speed and MPow growths, bar none. Slap the Gladiator skillset on them and they're what Gunners in FFTA used to be - long ranged ultima death at will.

I missed out on it my first time through the game too since Master Monks are much more obvious about kicking all the rear end.

Getting Trickster and Seer in this update almost makes up for getting Chocobo Knight and Scholar! :confuoot:

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 4, 2017

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

You didn't need a Viking for that. Green Mages use axes too.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MightyPretenders posted:

You didn't need a Viking for that. Green Mages use axes too.

Nope! Only Hammers and Maces. Vikings can use Hammers and Axes (they are different, though there's only three or four axes in the entire game) and Chocobo Knight is the other job with access to them.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

KataraniSword posted:

Despite its main gimmick being debuffs, Tricksters are secretly the best Bangaa job in the game.

See, on top of cards having an absurd Gun-sized range, Trickster has the race's best Speed and MPow growths, bar none. Slap the Gladiator skillset on them and they're what Gunners in FFTA used to be - long ranged ultima death at will.

And with the ability that most races can get 1/2 MP and the clan privilege that gives 20 MP per turn instead of 10, you can unleash that every turn.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

KataraniSword posted:

Nope! Only Hammers and Maces. Vikings can use Hammers and Axes (they are different, though there's only three or four axes in the entire game) and Chocobo Knight is the other job with access to them.

Though that's more because Chocobo Knights have access to literally every single melee weapon. Why yes, you can totally put spears on them and attack from 2 range. Chocobo Knights are a rather weird job that has a couple of intensely nifty perks that...ends up still not being worth it. Seriously, why the gently caress don't they just learn the chocobo abilities? They'd be kicking rad if they actually learned poo poo instead of basically becoming some lame-rear end chocobo.

And, hehehe, you haven't used Seer/Magick Frenzy before Solumin? Be prepared for a gift, that ability combos intensely well with Illusionists and Ninja.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Solumin posted:

Obviously, another Fusilier is the best unit for the job.

Why does the consortium outsource this? It doesn't really make sense. Don't they want to keep their new products under wraps? Did Clan Sawyer have to sign an NDA?

I dunno, I'd definitely want to outsource testing my new weapon on someone. :v:

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Alkydere posted:

And, hehehe, you haven't used Seer/Magick Frenzy before Solumin? Be prepared for a gift, that ability combos intensely well with Illusionists and Ninja.
I'm pretty sure that Magick Frenzy alone was responsible for at least two-thirds of the "Magick Hume" votes. :allears:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Solumin posted:

We've unlock one of the worst jobs in the game. :toot:

Unlocked (this happens in both). That said, maybe those jobs really deserve the grammar mistake. Who the hell designed Chocobo Knights?

quote:

white[/i]monk: Hold there, hume-boy!

Lacking a lizard's portrait here.

quote:

Just as the moogle leaves, Hurdy shows up.

: You're sorry? I almost had two bangaas beat my head in! Who knows what would have happened if that moogle hadn't come along...

Did you miss a line here?

quote:

Their signature ability is Traumatize, which deals exponentially more damage for every condition on the enemy. I believe the formula is 5 [b] 2n, where n is the number of conditions on the target.

I'm guessing you meant [sub] here. Also you have an unfinished [b] tag there too.

Alkydere posted:

Illusionist abilities used through Magick Frenzy are incredibly fun and I totally should use that if I ever replay this instead of only using Parivirs with Geomancy and Dual Wielding Paladins.

In my defense, Geomancy Parivir is incredibly broken.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Who the hell designed Chocobo Knights?

People with a nostalgia boner for FF3.

They're Onion Knights with an added bird gimmick, no endgame power spike, and no exclusive equipment.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

KataraniSword posted:

People with a nostalgia boner for FF3.

They're Onion Knights with an added bird gimmick, no endgame power spike, and no exclusive equipment.

The only thing they have going for them is getting a poor moogle tongue tied as he tries to say Pobocho's Chopobos.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Unlocked (this happens in both). That said, maybe those jobs really deserve the grammar mistake. Who the hell designed Chocobo Knights?

Lacking a lizard's portrait here.

Did you miss a line here?

I'm guessing you meant [sub] here. Also you have an unfinished [b] tag there too.

Thanks for catching those, guess I missed a lot in my proofreading. I forget it's "super" not "sub". Will be fixed shortly.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Charlett posted:

This LP has inspired me to pick up my old game and try it out once more! When I loaded it up I realized that my first file was actually about three battles away from the end, so I looked up what jobs would be good, patched together a decent final party, and finally finished the game!

But my characters are really bad because I really wanted to have everyone get all of the abilities on their jobs, and I didn't consider the fact that if I wanted to do that, I should start on the jobs at the top and work my way down. I had assumed it would be like FF5, where characters get regular level ups and their stats change as their jobs do. So I've started over and trying my luck one more time at making a decent party, and let me tell you, it's so much easier when your characters aren't coasting on Soldier levels for half the game.

TLDR; thanks for inspiring me to finish the game and thanks for making things less of a hassle for my next playthrough!

I'm so glad to hear that! Congrats on beating it :D

The level up system has its pros and cons, but being able to give a mage a ton of speed is very handy. They're all very slow in this game, but you can somewhat mitigate it by raising them as Assassins/Ninjas/Chocobo Knights first.

KataraniSword posted:

I missed out on it my first time through the game too since Master Monks are much more obvious about kicking all the rear end.

Getting Trickster and Seer in this update almost makes up for getting Chocobo Knight and Scholar! :confuoot:

Bangaas totally got the best new jobs in the game. Master Monk and Trickster are both solid, powerful classes, though I guess not as broken as Summoner. (Few things are.)

You and Alkydere will be pleased to hear that the next Job Roundup will be the "rant about bad jobs" one. :v:

Alkydere posted:

Though that's more because Chocobo Knights have access to literally every single melee weapon. Why yes, you can totally put spears on them and attack from 2 range. Chocobo Knights are a rather weird job that has a couple of intensely nifty perks that...ends up still not being worth it. Seriously, why the gently caress don't they just learn the chocobo abilities? They'd be kicking rad if they actually learned poo poo instead of basically becoming some lame-rear end chocobo.

Yup, never used a Seer! I'm trying out all sorts of new things for this LP, it's great fun.

EponymousMrYar posted:

The only thing they have going for them is getting a poor moogle tongue tied as he tries to say Pobocho's Chopobos.

Surely you mean Bocopo's Pochocos?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Solumin posted:

Surely you mean Bocopo's Pochocos?

Oh, feathers and foozles, kupo! Just save the poor braindead birds. This is what happens when you try to breed a golden chocobo, you get poor inbred chocochos with no self-preservation instincts.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

In addition to lightning magic, Vikings also get thieving techniques, including the only ability that can steal armor (including helmets and shields) in the game. Of course, with the auctions already unlocked there's not a whole lot of point to it, but it can be nice for bulking up your armor list. If you remember to check your enemies' armor, and Stop (don't Sleep) them, you can Pillage your way to ultimate equipment on even your third-string characters.

Bishop's Pillage is also unique in that it's chances don't go down on repeated uses, up to four times I believe?

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 5, 2017

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I can't wait to see trickster. :allears:

I never used one myself but their design is super cool and I love that their weapons are throwing cards.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

dancingbears posted:

In addition to lightning magic, Vikings also get thieving techniques, including the only ability that can steal armor (including helmets and shields) in the game. Of course, with the auctions already unlocked there's not a whole lot of point to it, but it can be nice for bulking up your armor list. If you remember to check your enemies' armor, and Stop (don't Sleep) them, you can Pillage your way to ultimate equipment on even your third-string characters.

Bishop's Pillage is also unique in that it's chances don't go down on repeated uses, up to four times I believe?

I can't be the only one sad that Luso Ramza doesn't Steal his way to godhood like Ramza I and Marshe before him, right? Then again, manipulating market forces in such a devastating way is a fitting send-up.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Leraika posted:

I can't wait to see trickster. :allears:

I never used one myself but their design is super cool and I love that their weapons are throwing cards.

Same here, I think it'll be a fun job. I might put together a condition spamming team, with a couple tricksters and a spell blade.

I'm still trying to decide who will be a trickster. Lian could really use the speed and magic growths, but Henri has the gladiator skills that work well with the cards. And Cid already had the required master monk abilities.
(The correct answer is they all become tricksters.)

dancingbears posted:

Good points! Some other jobs can destroy armor and weapons, and I think Thieves can steal accessories. Besides that, the only thing you can take off loot.

RelentlessImp posted:

I can't be the only one sad that Luso Ramza Samuel doesn't Steal his way to godhood like Ramza I and Marshe before him, right? Then again, manipulating market forces in such a devastating way is a fitting send-up.

Man, I wish! I guarantee the Steal: Ability weapon would be in the Camoa auction, too.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

RelentlessImp posted:

I can't be the only one sad that Luso Ramza doesn't Steal his way to godhood like Ramza I and Marshe before him, right? Then again, manipulating market forces in such a devastating way is a fitting send-up.

It's been touched on a few times that Steal had both its legs broken, which is quite sad. I think the only actions it kept were Steal Gil and maybe Steal Accessory and Steal EXP? The rest were largely gutted for the Steal Loot series which is questionably useful at best.

There's one more that I don't think has come up, but neither has the mechanic associated with it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Solumin posted:

I'm still trying to decide who will be a trickster. Lian could really use the speed and magic growths, but Henri has the gladiator skills that work well with the cards. And Cid already had the required master monk abilities.
(The correct answer is they all become tricksters.)

Technically, Cid has an uphill battle to gain anything of value from Trickster since his speed was already kneecapped by starting with some 10-15 levels in Warrior and Master Monk's speed growth is perfectly solid. Besides, Master Monk has an advantage that rarely gets touched on: it has the highest no-weapon Attack Power in the game, high enough that equipping Battle Bamboo actually results in a stat decrease.

Holding two shields counts as attacking weaponless, and by now you can get Reverie Shields from the auctions for +20% Evasion a pop.

Cid's truest destiny is as the world's swolest dodge/counter tank.

(credit not mine, picture by Shaezerus from me and Alkydere's LP)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
:ssh: That's my plan for Cid, once I get a second shield.

I love that picture.